PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to regret this?

MSWR0319
11-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Our friends invited us to go to Orlando with them over Spring Break. They are staying on Disney property and somehow ended up with an extra DVC room for free. I swore I would never go to Disney during Spring Break. It's just not our touring style. We have always gone at the slowest times of the year. That being said, there's really nothing we have to do because we've been there 4 times, other than the new Star Wars land. I'd like to go spend time with them, so I'm leaning toward going with the expectation that it's just going to be crazy. Am I going to regret it??

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Here’s what I’d do- go. And hit the parks in the morning then head back and just chill at the resort. Or simply stay at Disney and go do other stuff! Kennedy Space Center is amazing (you don’t have to be into space to enjoy it). There are plenty of non park things you can do instead. Meet up with your friends for some meals or rides but don’t feel like you need to be together always.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lil_acorn
11-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Spring break is actually not as bad because schools throughout the nation actually have them at different times. It will be busy but not crazy like Christmas time or even summer.

JBaxter
11-22-2019, 09:24 AM
I live and hour and half from Disney and we don't go on our spring break LOL but I agree the country seems to stagger breaks ours runs from March 12 to the 20 in Sarsota County FL. Not every place in the state does the same break.

KrisM
11-22-2019, 09:26 AM
It depends on when spring break is too. I think the weeks before and after Easter are the worst, but others are busy but not insane. I'd go and do what SB said - parks for a bit, relax at the resort, do other things. We liked Kennedy Space Center a lot and it's about an hour away. Do a waterpark if it's warm enough.

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Are you talking Easter week? If so, we’ve been then and I wouldn’t again unless as I proposed above. MK closed to capacity. Typhoon Lagoon closed to capacity. Both hit those before noon so not an option to have lazy mornings.

DualvansMommy
11-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Depends when your actual spring break is. Ours is week before. So I wouldn’t go unless we plan on getting up early for rope drop and hit the Star Wars and AK and then head back to resort for rest of day with pool and other activities.

For reference, we just came back from a week long trip at Disney. For us, we feel satisfied as we did a lot and rode a lot of rides. So can see us not going back again unless for new attraction, we did not manage to do everything we wanted to do at Star Wars as rest of rides weren’t open then. Just two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marymoo86
11-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Free place to stay? Heck yeah - do it! If you go in with the attitude of we can do what we can do and not worry about then you will be fine. Enjoy the resort. Hit the parks early and late. The cost of that room is HUGE so I can't see how you can go wrong here :)

As noted above - Spring break is different timing for everyone. Weekends will be busier than weekdays but get your tickets, book your FP+s and have fun! There's hardly any "non" busy times unless a hurricane in is the forecast. I hate crowds too but just comes with the territory now.

georgiegirl
11-22-2019, 11:08 AM
We’ve done Disney at spring break twice and it was fine. The key is to get there very early and to get good good fast passes. We didn’t ride everything we wanted, but we still had a good time. Our spring break was not adjacent fo Easter.

smilequeen
11-22-2019, 11:54 AM
As long as your expectations are in check, I think you'll have fun. Maybe spend a day or two at Universal? Plan ahead as much as you can, but maybe it could just be a more relax and take it as it comes sort of trip too. It's expensive, but you could also do a private tour guide for a day (split it with the other family)...you get front row seats for parades and skip the lines. We did that when we took all the grandparents for New Years. It was crowded but we got to skip lines...for the number of people we had it was worth it. (I think it was like $200/hour many years ago, so expensive, but we had 12 people that made it worth it...).

MSWR0319
11-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks! Our spring break is in late March. I don't remember exactly but I'm thinking the last week or the week before, so not right up to Easter. The kids have never seen any of the night shows because they are early risers and are always needing to go to bed early, so I think this would be the perfect trip to hit the night shows if we come back to the resort after the mornings.

BDKmom
11-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Since you aren’t the week before or after Easter, do it. We have been twice during our spring break and are headed back this year. It wasn’t too bad either time (we weren’t there around Easter and we avoided the weekend). We also had great weather on both our trips—warm but not hot. Have a great time!

jgenie
11-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Free room?? I’d be there in a heartbeat! It doesn’t matter how much you get to see or how big the crowds are - your room is free! Go and enjoy it!!

Globetrotter
11-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Free room? I would go with expectations to do minimal stuff, at off peak times. What a deal!

bisous
11-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Free room? I would go with expectations to do minimal stuff, at off peak times. What a deal!

Yes. The free room makes it worth it. Go with lower expectations and try not to cram too much in but honesty it sounds lovely! You’ll have to report back!

newnana
11-22-2019, 06:25 PM
I would definitely go, even if it's just to spend a free week in a hotel and enjoy the crazy pools they have. You don't even have to do Disney. When I think Disney trip, I spend too much time planning what we'll do in the park because it's a big deal trip for us. Being able to take advantage of all the other stuff their resorts have to offer would also be a great trip by itself, maybe use this trip for that. Agree with pp's to set expectations, enjoy your friends and a free room, and just enjoy. Is there anything DVC stays offer that you can't access otherwise? A special tour you've ever wanted to do that the crowds wouldn't matter? There are definitely ways to enjoy this gift and make it feel like a vacation. Enjoy!

liz
11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
I would go in a heartbeat! Good advice from PP, plus you'll have good weather!

TwinFoxes
11-23-2019, 03:33 PM
The most recent time we went was the first time we went during a peak time (we'd always gone in October.) It wasn't bad at all. And we certainly didn't have a free room! :) I would definitely go if your only concern is crowds.

123LuckyMom
11-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Go! We almost always go after Ash Wednesday and we’ll before Easter, which is usually the first week or so of March. It just happens to be the week I can best miss work. The crowds are always rated very high at that time, but we get to the park very early in the morning, use a touring plan, take a break in the middle of the day, and I’ve never waited in a line over 20 minutes long. I’ve been there many times with the crowd rated at a 9, and it wasn’t at all miserable with a touring plan. I highly recommend you subscribe at the Unofficial Guide website to create custom plans. Then you can get the Lines app and update your plans on the go. If you don’t have a plan, I’m not sure how you’ll fare, but if you get there before rope drop and eat meals at slightly off times, you’ll be able to avoid the biggest crowds.

specialp
11-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Go. We normally go in the fall, but cannot manage that anymore due to extra activities so we went spring break. It was more crowded, but we did not wait in lines longer so much as we just rode less (and we park hop a lot). Because we have been there before, it didn't feel like we were missing out and Disney is just so much fun on repeat visits where you're more relaxed. It rained one morning, the first time ever on any of our trips, and we had a lot of fun in the resort's game room.

Gracemom
11-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Do it! We went at Christmas last year and yes it was crowded but we had a great time. Plan well and know what to expect and it will be great. The new fast pass system is great for this type of trip. Get them online the first moment you can for the major rides. Prioritize what you really want to do then go with the flow. The resorts and Disney springs have so much to do too if the parks get too crowded.