PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Xbox

melrose7
11-23-2019, 01:30 PM
So DS has been begging for a gaming system like last couple years. He is 9.5. We have the original Wii but games are old. He likes playing sports games, Madden, MLB which is why I am looking at the Xbox. The reviews of Madden 20 on amazon are horrible. I would hate to spend the money on a new system and then the games he likes are terrible. But it may be a family gift if there are games that we that all play. Are there family games? Or something that would interest me and my husband and DD2 (12)? We are use to Nintendo games and DS doesn’t want the switch because there is no Madden there. DD2 was just playing around in free time in computer class yesterday playing Minecraft and she had no idea what she was doing! I feel like we are so out of the loop with these video games now. Need help! I want to but one of the deal this week if we end up doing this big gift.

ezcc
11-23-2019, 01:47 PM
I would try and find out what his friends have- my ds has a playstation and thinks they are the best, but his friends all have xboxes so he bought himself a used one so he could play with them. It's weird- he does have another circle of friends at a different school with playstations and sometimes plays with them, but the social aspect of video gaming isn't something I would have thought about but becomes important as they get older I think. As far as games, I don't really know although DS likes the sports games too- I know the Madden games are really popular- and I imagine available on most systems? I do think Nintendo has less games, it seems less popular with older kids.

carolinacool
11-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Here’s my take on video game reviews. I think a lot of them come from older teens and gamer adults who might have different expectations than a 9- or 10-year-old kid. DS will be 10 next month and got Madden 20 a couple of weeks ago. He just does the regular team play (I’m not sure of the technical name) and he’s just glad to have a version with the 2019 draft picks — Kyler Murray, etc. He doesn’t know enough to know what he’s not supposed to be happy with. LOL

He plays Fortnite a ton with his friends. DS has a PS4 and I know another friend has a PS4, but I think Fortnite can be played across game systems? I’m not sure. No recommendations on family games. He’s an only child, and DH and I aren’t really interested, so it’s pretty much just his.

melrose7
11-23-2019, 04:49 PM
Here’s my take on video game reviews. I think a lot of them come from older teens and gamer adults who might have different expectations than a 9- or 10-year-old kid. DS will be 10 next month and got Madden 20 a couple of weeks ago. He just does the regular team play (I’m not sure of the technical name) and he’s just glad to have a version with the 2019 draft picks — Kyler Murray, etc. He doesn’t know enough to know what he’s not supposed to be happy with. LOL

That’s what I was thinking too. He is playing Madden 13 on our old Wii and he would just like to have current players. The graphics will be better than what we have now. I was thinking the reviews are going to be about things that he won’t care about. But I have read that they don’t always score accurately. Who knows.

niccig
11-23-2019, 06:02 PM
DS had a PS4 for a few years, then bought himself an x box. Now he uses his PC Fir gaming. It depends what games he wants to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
11-23-2019, 06:08 PM
DS had a PS4 for a few years, then bought himself an x box. Now he uses his PC Fir gaming. It depends what games he wants to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yes. We have a PS4 but DS1 pretty much uses his PC exclusively for gaming now.

ETA: My DS1 is 16. My DS2 is 10 and uses the PS4 exclusively for gaming.

mom2binsd
11-24-2019, 04:41 AM
Here's my take.

My DS is 13, he and all of his friends have Xbox one, with Xbox live. They play madden (have played since 2014 or so, they get the new ones each year), they play nhl (even the kids who don't play hockey IRL), NBA, and MLB. They are over fortnite as they are older, target for that seems a bit younger. They will still play mindcraft occasionally. It seems the one kid who got a Playstation ended up selling it and getting am xbox. You need the Xbox live to play with your friends as well as decent headphones.

We don't play video games as a family, I have ZERO interest. We do sports, watch hockey and baseball, play board games etc, not DS plays video games on his own. He is a travel hockey player so his video game time is limited.

I sold our wii a few years ago and now DD 16 wanted to play a few times and borrowed from someone but that was short-lived, now they make tiktok dance videos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gracemom
11-24-2019, 09:36 AM
My son is 13 and loves his Xbox one. The bad reviews on the new Madden game are probably from people who had the 2019 version and didn't need the new one and/or didn't like the changes they made. Your son will like it just fine. My sons favorite is NBA 2K20. Just make it clear you won't spend any money in the game for upgrades etc. It's ridiculous how much kids can spend on it.

JBaxter
11-24-2019, 10:44 AM
We've had the xbox one for several years. DS4 uses it for several games mainly FIFA ( what ever newest version is) He and DH play it along with him playing a few xbox live games with his friends. He's 11. My 25 yr old plays his PS( some version) some he's in grad school and doesnt have much time to game at this point.

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2019, 11:29 AM
We have every system. No one is into sports games here though. I agree to find out what system other friends have because that became a problem for ds1 when he went to high school- his new friends didn't have PS, they all had XBox and he didn't so couldn't play together.

PZMommy
11-24-2019, 01:28 PM
We have the switch, Xbox one, ps 4, plus we use older versions of Xbox and PlayStation to watch dvds or stream things in our upstairs rooms.

For fortnight, it doesn’t matter what device you are using, you can still communicate with others as far as I know. But for other games you need the same system so get whatever system his friends have. I think our systems get played equally, as each system has their own set of games. For example there is a Spider-Man game that is only for PS4, switch has Mario, splatoon, and smash brothers. We play the Lego games on the Xbox, and my DH has his games on the Xbox. I think the switch has the more family friendly games, but I think a lot of older kids prefer the Xbox or PS.

melrose7
11-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the input. I asked him why he wanted the Xbox and he didn’t have a reason besides watching you tubers play it. He has 1 friend and 1 cousins with an Xbox but apparently online gaming isn’t that big here. I rather him play the xbox than watch videos on you tube of them doing it.

smilequeen
11-24-2019, 06:58 PM
I know so little about it because video gaming is not my thing at all, but we have an xbox 1x (?). My oldest will only play sports games (NHL and Madden), my middle plays with his friends...changes, it was fortnite but that's not the big thing anymore. My youngest plays with his friends too...he isn't that into it (uses the switch mostly), but they play minecraft and roblox. He loves his switch because he's more into Mario games...and those are the only ones I will play if begged ;) Anyway, there are tons of games and if you like family stuff, you'll find something for sure. I just don't know what they are. What I can think of is having rechargeable controllers and a good headset if he's going to play with friends. And then xbox gift cards can become a great gift so they can download games.