PDA

View Full Version : Newest news/views on Gardasil vaccine?

ang79
11-24-2019, 10:07 PM
DD1 has her 13 yr. well visit tomorrow. Our ped has been offering the vaccine since age 11 but didn't push it before. The office is now affiliated with a different hospital system, so I don't know if that has changed. I am pro vaccine and do think it is an important one to get but am not sure if now is the best time or waiting til she is a bit older. She is not into boys like her friends are (has had some crushes but not "boyfriends" like I hear all the other girls talking about). So I'm not worried about early exposure to sexual activity for her. Which is why I'm feeling like it can wait another year or two. I know when the vaccine first came out there was a lot of talk about it and controversy, but I haven't read as much recently, so just wondering if there has been any new research that has popped up regarding risk/side effects and best age to get. Is it still recommended to get 3 doses?

NCGrandma
11-24-2019, 10:47 PM
DD1 has her 13 yr. well visit tomorrow. Our ped has been offering the vaccine since age 11 but didn't push it before. The office is now affiliated with a different hospital system, so I don't know if that has changed. I am pro vaccine and do think it is an important one to get but am not sure if now is the best time or waiting til she is a bit older. She is not into boys like her friends are (has had some crushes but not "boyfriends" like I hear all the other girls talking about). So I'm not worried about early exposure to sexual activity for her. Which is why I'm feeling like it can wait another year or two. I know when the vaccine first came out there was a lot of talk about it and controversy, but I haven't read as much recently, so just wondering if there has been any new research that has popped up regarding risk/side effects and best age to get. Is it still recommended to get 3 doses?

No info about new research and/or controversy, but re: number of doses, the 2019 CDC Adolescent Vaccine Schedule, the number of doses depends on age at initial vaccination. If age 9-14 at initial vaccination, only 2 doses are recommended. If 15 years or older, 3 doses are recommended.

Not trying to get into a pro/anti-vax debate, but a useful source of info about the current recommendations about all recommended vaccines, birth through age 65+ (age, intervals between doses, etc, and special considerations for particular groups) is an app called CDC Vaccine Schedules. Once downloaded, it is updated every year or more as recommendations change. I’ve used it on iOS devices—no idea whether it is also available for Android.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
11-24-2019, 10:56 PM
The last thing I read was about 50% of girls and 38% of boys under 16 had the series. We are a firm no on it here.

Myira
11-24-2019, 11:08 PM
My kids are up to date on all vaccines. DD just turned 11 in October and at her well check the doctor offered it but said we have time. This is one vaccine I’m leaning towards not getting based on everything I’ve learned here on the BBB. We already are dealing with a condition here with DD so no just no, I feel the cons outweigh the benefits here.

Whether or not a kid gets this vaccine, they’d still want to practice safe sex for STDs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

westwoodmom04
11-24-2019, 11:38 PM
My ped gives it at 12 to separate out from the boosters for other vaccines they give at 11. My dd got it with no issues at 12, and I am planning on same for my younger child. It’s definitely just 2 doses at 12.

ang79
11-24-2019, 11:45 PM
Jbaxter and myira, can I ask why you are both solidly no on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
11-25-2019, 12:24 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. We don’t do flu shots either I found from reading what I have in the past the benefits don’t out weigh the risks. What I was pregnant with my youngest i talked to my OB about hpv and the gardasil vaccine he said it was more about regular paps than the vaccine and he was also declining it for his kids. I also read a lot on the reactions and DS 3 had a bad one to his vaccines at 15 months. Im not chancing a reaction for a vaccine like gardasil

mom2binsd
11-25-2019, 12:43 AM
I have a 16 DD and 13 DS, both have had gardisil Vax at about age and 12/13. Our ped who we have had for 13 years, whom has been a wonderful source of information, takes my opinion into account when we have dealt with adhd in both kids and a few other health issues. He has given all 3 of his kids Gardisil, we also usually vax for Flu (last year didn't which I can't figure out why and DS got influenza and gave it to me).

Talk to your pediatrician and make the decision for your child. I will obviously be talking about safe sex, already have with DD, but they may make a decision that could put them at risk and if I can reduce that I'd like to do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mm123
11-25-2019, 06:55 AM

My DD1 is 11 and will be getting the vaccine next year. Where I am (in Canada), kids are vaccinated at school for free in grade 7. Of course, parents do need to sign a permission form to have it done. It’s 2 doses, 6 months apart, and as far as I know very few parents decline.

My DD is also very innocent and not into boys at all, but you never know when that could change. Of course I’ll talk to her about these things, but one risky, stupid decision could happen anywhere (camp, party, school, etc).

SnuggleBuggles
11-25-2019, 08:22 AM
We eventually got it for ds1. I think he was 15. We must have finished the series but I don’t remember bringing him back for all 3. Over the time ds1 was eligible his pediatrician went from not recommending it for boys to recommending it. Being able to talk it through, especially since he wasn’t initially sold on it, was helpful. I’ll probably wait a bit for ds2 but will do it when he’s 14 so he only needs 2 shots.

klwa
11-25-2019, 08:56 AM
No idea on the research, but we went ahead & got it for DS & DD1. Just two doses as others have mentioned. I did delay DD1 by a year, since they first offered it to her last year, but I figured it hurt nothing to wait. But she got it at 11, which was the same age they first offered it to DS.

mmsmom
11-25-2019, 09:03 AM
DS will get it at 13 after discussing best timing with his doc last year. It is a must have for us especially after losing a friend this year who had an oral cancer caused by HPV that left him unable to talk for the last year of his life. He was in his 50’s and left behind a 6 year old daughter. I know he would have given anything to have had the vaccine available to him when he was younger.

HPV can be transmitted via oral sex which is difficult to practice safely.

ett
11-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I pushed it off for years with DS1 and finally got it for him when he was 15. He only needed 2 doses, but if he had waited longer, he would have needed 3 doses. DS2 is turning 13 next year and hasn't had the shot yet.

georgiegirl
11-25-2019, 09:36 AM
DD is 13 and hasn’t had it yet. She will probably get it closer to 15. Same with my boys. DH (who works in oncology and sees lots of patients with oral cancers) is very adamant that our kids get the vaccine, especially the boys. There is no early detection available for men (unlike paps for women), so oral cancers often present in advanced stages. Since we aren’t sure how long the vaccine is effective, we would rather give it as late as possible, so it’s effective into their 20s, when they are most likely to need protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
11-25-2019, 10:16 AM
DS is 11 and we haven't gotten it for him yet, but I think we will when he gets a bit older. Our pediatrician said the studies are really starting to show a decline in HPV. I haven't looked for those studies though to see what they really say yet. We have a friend who is a doctor and he is adamant that his kids get it, which does make me feel better. I know that he's not going to push shots just to push shots.

twowhat?
11-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Our ped recommends it for both girls and boys. DH and I are firmly in the vaccinate camp and we both have advanced science degrees and work in medical industries. I also have seen friends deal with HPV and the issues it can cause (even non-cancer)...would I want my daughter to have to deal with that if there was a chance she could be protected (even if only somewhat)? The answer is definitely no! I'm not sure about timing though I will ask the ped on our next visit.

We've never had issues with vaccine reactions.

dogmom
11-25-2019, 11:02 AM
This past year I've taken care of I don't how many people with throat cancer, few with rectal cancer, some from both categories that are incurable at this point, several women with LEAP procedures, a couple who needs cervixes removed due to cervical cancer, and one patient that had HPV in their lungs that was undergoing an experimental treatment because after several surgeries it kept coming back. I don't work in oncology, just in the pre and post operative area. All of these cases are attributed to HPV. Yes, studies have shown the vaccine is already having an effect on the incidence of HPV, even among the non-vaccinated since there is less of it circulating.

The vaccine is reformulated and covers more HPV strains now from the one my almost 17 yo got. It is 2 doses if you get it before 15, 3 doses afterwards. It is my understanding that they changed it based on studies about the vaccine response over the last decade. I understand that people put it off because it's attached to sexual activity. However, it's actually an easier conversation to have with younger kids, "When you get older and are with someone you can get this disease. You get the vaccine now to prevent you from getting the disease later. This is when the doctor recommends you get it." If you wait until you think they are going to be sexually active sooner than later, that turns into a discussion about sex. 11-12 is the age range they are targeting for preferred schedule. My DD is 13 and just finished her series because I was slow getting her back for her second dose. So both my kids are fully vaccinated. None of them had any side effects.

Here is the schedule at the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/hcp/schedules-recommendations.html

almostmom
11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
I feel very strongly that this is something my kids needed to get, and both did. I listen to Dan Savage a lot, and he speaks with many doctors on his podcast. They are very pro this vaccine. A vaccination that can prevent some of the more common cancers? Absolutely yes. HPV is very common, and while I expect my kids to practice safe sex, I don't plan on being next to them to remind them in those situations! This is a no-brainer for me. And a good conversation with my kids.

HannaAddict
11-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Firm yes and 13 is not too young. Things can heat up fast on the teenage front and there is no health reason to wait. FWIW, the vaccine now was much easier, less painful, than a few years ago when my oldest got it. And less doses needed at 13 versus waiting.

div_0305
11-25-2019, 01:18 PM
I got it for DS, under the 2 dose schedule, and will for DD, even though we see a homeopathic dr. for everything else and he is 100% anti-vax. FYI--we do NOT do the flu vaccine.

legaleagle
11-25-2019, 01:42 PM
My cousin got HPV after being sexually assaulted in college, which has caused her a lot of stress with abnormal paps in the last decade+. We get it as soon as it's offered (Kaiser so all on CDC schedule).

AnnieW625
11-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Dd1 got them both on schedule at 11 and 12. We researched the pros and cons and she decided to get them. I will do the same with Dd2. If there is a reason to wait until closer to 13 then I will do that for her.

I knew someone who had cervical cancer when she was in college in the early 90s so it is important to me that my girls be vaccinated. Neither have any adverse reactions to vaccinations.

Myira
11-25-2019, 03:13 PM

If you research it, they found no causal relationship and the vaccine is considered safe. But there are so many cases reported of POTS and CRPS among girls that received it here in the US as well as other countries. Based on what I have read, the risks just do not outweigh the benefits.

MMMommy
11-25-2019, 04:40 PM
DDS both got theirs as recommended, two doses. No side effects for them, from what I could tell.

cckwmh
11-25-2019, 07:17 PM
If you research it, they found no causal relationship and the vaccine is considered safe. But there are so many cases reported of POTS and CRPS among girls that received it here in the US as well as other countries. Based on what I have read, the risks just do not outweigh the benefits.

In the US, over a 10 year period(2006-2015), there were 29 cases of POTS and 22 cases of CRPS after hpv vaccine administration, per the cdc. Over the same 10 year period there were over 67 million doses of the vaccine distributed. There is definitely a risk, but a very small risk. HPV vaccine is not the only cause of POTS or CRPS.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/hpv/hpv-safety-faqs.html#A10

Kindra178
11-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Strong yes! We did, and will do, the series at 12-13. We had no sex related discussion before or after administration of it - we just made it clear that this vax helps prevent several types of cancer.

For those on fence, please read the numerous articles on the shocking rise in anal cancer that have been published of late. If you weren’t sure based on throat cancer, read the new studies on anal cancer. Quite convincing.

And this has nothing to do with multiple partners. One partner can cause all this.

doberbrat
11-26-2019, 07:03 PM
I got it for dd1. I was on the fence about it. I generally only do 'required' vax. But I had hpv in college and it was scary. The procedure was uncomfortable and waiting for the results and getting retested was stressful. So I opted for this one. Did it at 14 so there was no other vaccine with it but she'll only get 2 doses rather than 3.

So stressful making all these decisions trying to do what we feel is best.

georgiegirl
11-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Strong yes! We did, and will do, the series at 12-13. We had no sex related discussion before or after administration of it - we just made it clear that this vax helps prevent several types of cancer.

For those on fence, please read the numerous articles on the shocking rise in anal cancer that have been published of late. If you weren’t sure based on throat cancer, read the new studies on anal cancer. Quite convincing.

And this has nothing to do with multiple partners. One partner can cause all this.

Have you read any studies about how long the vaccine is effective? DH (oncologist) is worried that it won’t be effective in 15+ years, and that’s why he wants to wait a few more years until the kids are closer to the age where they will be sexually active. assuming my kids don’t find a life partner until their late 20s or 30s, I want the vaccine to be super effective during college and throughout their entire 20s. DD is 13 and thinks boys are annoying, but I’m sure that will change in the next couple of years.

westwoodmom04
11-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Have you read any studies about how long the vaccine is effective? DH (oncologist) is worried that it won’t be effective in 15+ years, and that’s why he wants to wait a few more years until the kids are closer to the age where they will be sexually active. assuming my kids don’t find a life partner until their late 20s or 30s, I want the vaccine to be super effective during college and throughout their entire 20s. DD is 13 and thinks boys are annoying, but I’m sure that will change in the next couple of years.

I think the cdc takes that into consideration when setting the timetable for administering. I would expect them to add a booster if they are worried about how long it will stay effective but the research says it is still 100 percent effective 10 years after ****, and they are continuing to monitor. http://www.hpvvaccine.org.au/the-hpv-vaccine/how-effective-is-the-vaccine.aspx