PDA

View Full Version : Please explain Hexbugs and Beyblads to me!

Ms B
11-25-2019, 10:50 AM
The Biscuit has asked for "Hexbugs" and "Beyblades" for the holidays. Both my parents and the ILs do best when given very specific items to purchase, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of choices within both of these groups.

Parents of older kids, any words of wisdom? Any specific sets or items that have gotten heavy play?

TIA!

smilequeen
11-25-2019, 11:08 AM
We've gone through phases with both. The beyblades were a long time ago (when my 15 year old was your son's age, probably younger) so I don't remember much. They can scratch floors, so have something for him to use them in. That's a time when the cheapo plastic battle arena was worth it.

My middle was really into the Hexbug Battlebots for a bit and they all liked messing around with the nanos sometimes...those are easy stocking stuffers anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/HEXBUG-413-5128-BattleBots-Arena/dp/B01BX4FL50/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=Hexbugs&qid=1574694277&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKUEk2RE5YWUNCWkImZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMzMyNDkyUDdTU0FISkwxS1Q5JmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MTY5NTUyR1hHMDJBNFg5V1Y4JndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/HEXBUG-Nano-Nitro-Pack-Toy/dp/B01BX4EMIC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Hexbugs&qid=1574694488&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRExWSE41U1g3RDBQJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTcwMDM2Mk82ODBGTkNJQzhCUCZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjg3NzYwMk9OTTlZTVBHSEo1SCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

SnuggleBuggles
11-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Use your social media to find some family with older kids with these to hand down. The phases are short and they just don't get enough play. Don't invest much. Go on Ebay and buy a ton.

Mommy_Mea
11-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Especially for beyblades. The stadiums are stupid expensive for cheap plastic.

My kids love their beyblades, and the stadiums are key for keeping them off your floors and scratching them (and just keeping the toys contained).

We have used hexbugs so much! The kids love building mazes for them with magna tiles. And the battle bot ones have been fun as well!

Definitely look second hand. Think of it as doing someone else a favor of getting it out of their house [emoji16]
Use your social media to find some family with older kids with these to hand down. The phases are short and they just don't get enough play. Don't invest much. Go on Ebay and buy a ton.

PZMommy
11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
My kids have never been into hexbugs, but beyblades are huge! My younger DS has a zillion of them! He has several stadiums and there is a huge set at Target he wants for Christmas. For starters, I’d just get a cheap stadium and then a few packages of the beyblades. If he really gets into it, then you can start looking for specific beys on eBay or amazon.

div_0305
11-25-2019, 01:26 PM
I didn't realize Beyblades were still around. We went through them and trashed them about 8-9 years ago I think. Agree that it seemed like a very short lived phase.

lizzywednesday
11-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Skip the Beyblades and get LOTS of extra batteries for the Hexbugs.

Hexbugs are cool, but I want to chuck Beyblades in the trash.

PZMommy
11-25-2019, 06:47 PM
I didn't realize Beyblades were still around. We went through them and trashed them about 8-9 years ago I think. Agree that it seemed like a very short lived phase.

My DS has been obsessed with them for about 2 years now. They are popular at his school, and teachers are constantly having to confiscate them. He is always watching the beyblade tv show on disney now and the show in Japanese on youtube.

okinawama
12-03-2019, 05:20 PM
My DS has been obsessed with them for about 2 years now. They are popular at his school, and teachers are constantly having to confiscate them. He is always watching the beyblade tv show on disney now and the show in Japanese on youtube.

Beyblades are a huge hit here too! They have been a toy that both of my sons have played with consistently for the past 2+ years, and they are on both of their Christmas lists again this year. They absolutely love battling one another, or even playing against friends at school or on playdates. I love that they don't require batteries, and it's something they can do with a friend or on their own.

jennilynn
12-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Be wary of knockoffs especially on Amazon. They don’t work right and are incredibly frustrating (to my kids at least!) We always make sure it’s legit and made by Takara Tony before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
12-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Skip the Beyblades and get LOTS of extra batteries for the Hexbugs.

Hexbugs are cool, but I want to chuck Beyblades in the trash.YES to the extra batteries! We bought a huge pack of those little batteries when my kids were into the hexbugs. They still get occasional play at our house, as do the beyblades.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Melaine
12-07-2019, 03:12 PM
My son has been interested in beyblades but would they be fun for one child or are they more a group toy or battle type situation?

jennilynn
12-07-2019, 03:19 PM
My son has been interested in beyblades but would they be fun for one child or are they more a group toy or battle type situation?

Either! My son plays by himself and also with his brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
12-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Both! My son plays for hours by himself, mixing and matching pieces. He also likes to play battles with his brother or friends.