PDA

View Full Version : Considering Minecraft

Ms B
01-29-2020, 01:03 PM
The Biscuit is 8 (!) and after playing Roblox for a number of months and watching videos on YouTube Kids, has asked to try Minecraft on DH's iPad.

Setting aside issues about when he would be allowed to play, what do we need to know about Minecraft? I found O Mom's very helpful post, but it is a few years old.

Is eight an appropriate age for a player? Only in certain "modes"? Can a game be "saved" while it is going on (one of my Roblox pet peeves is that The Biscuit always wants to finish a current game, which often is five or more minutes out . . . and always when we need to run out somewhere).
Other things we need to know about or precautions we need to take?

TIA!!

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2020, 02:24 PM
Minecraft is great. No reason you have to allow the ability to interact with others to enjoy the game. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
01-29-2020, 02:43 PM
My 8 yr old plays minecraft. It's only on my laptop which is often put away so he doesn't play often just because he doesn't think about it unless the laptop is out. I only let him play in creative mode unless DH is there with him, then they can play survival mode together and invite others they know. I think it's a good game, he has fun building elaborate structures mostly.

ArizonaGirl
01-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Minecraft is great. No reason you have to allow the ability to interact with others to enjoy the game. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I agree, I like it much better than Roblox and feel like there is an opportunity to learn more computer stuff (coding and such).

wendibird22
01-29-2020, 02:49 PM
My 10yr DD plays it on her ipod. She seems to just build buildings and her town and occasionally kill a farm animal with a sword?? I don't get it honestly. She seems to enjoy it just for the building of stuff. She does coding in her 4th grade class.

JBaxter
01-29-2020, 03:34 PM
My 11 yr old plays it a lot they have a mine craft club at school < 6 weeks one hour per week>

lizzywednesday
01-29-2020, 05:01 PM

:yeahthat:

We let DD play Minecraft; she has it on her tablet and on her Switch. I prefer it on the Switch. She does not play multiplayer/online modes in either one and mostly stays in Creative Mode to mess with things.

MSWR0319
01-29-2020, 05:26 PM
I let my almost 8 year old play Minecraft but he's not allowed to play with anyone online. FWIW, I don't let him play Roblox.

DualvansMommy
01-29-2020, 06:42 PM
I far prefer my 8.5 and 6 year olds to play Minecraft over robolox. So they play most with Minecraft and other games with their switch. Oldest is getting more into fortnite though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twowhat?
01-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Minecraft >>>>> Roblox

DH set up accounts for our kids using very limited identifying information, did not allow them to choose usernames that had their real names or other identifying info, etc. They are not allowed to chat with strangers (you can turn that off, I believe). We do let them chat with known friends but we vet each one individually. DH also set up a server so they can build there. There are one or two good science/coding based youtubers that we are let the kids watch...it's actually kind of cool how much they've learned about mods and command lines from watching.

smilequeen
01-29-2020, 07:53 PM
My 9 year old plays both. He does get to play online as long as he asks and I know the person he's playing with (usually his cousin or his best friend from school). I'd say the rules for my son playing either are exactly the same, but I like Minecraft more too.

petesgirl
01-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Minecraft >>>>> Roblox

DH set up accounts for our kids using very limited identifying information, did not allow them to choose usernames that had their real names or other identifying info, etc. They are not allowed to chat with strangers (you can turn that off, I believe). We do let them chat with known friends but we vet each one individually. DH also set up a server so they can build there. There are one or two good science/coding based youtubers that we are let the kids watch...it's actually kind of cool how much they've learned about mods and command lines from watching.

What you mind sharing the youtubers that you think are good? My DS does watch youtube videos of people playing minecraft but I'm not sure they are the best ones.

twowhat?
01-30-2020, 09:03 PM
I can't stand the ones where people just play minecraft and try to be silly. Pat & Jen (PopularMMOs) - ugh! But their videos are pretty harmless and we do let the kids watch them as a treat and they do learn a little just by watching and seeing what's typed into the command lines, etc.

DH discovered OMGcraft and let the girls subscribe. It's more of a "how to..." channel focused on Minecraft that we think is pretty kid-appropriate.

carolinacool
01-30-2020, 09:55 PM
So do you pay for Minecraft? We just got a new laptop and I set up a profile for DS. The first place he went was Minecraft but it looks like there was a charge for the game.

twowhat?
02-02-2020, 12:03 PM
So do you pay for Minecraft? We just got a new laptop and I set up a profile for DS. The first place he went was Minecraft but it looks like there was a charge for the game.

Yes, it does cost money upfront...I can't remember how much. $20ish?

carolinacool
02-03-2020, 03:25 PM
Yes, it does cost money upfront...I can't remember how much. $20ish?

Ok. Thank you. I have no idea why I thought it was free. lol

BDKmom
02-03-2020, 05:00 PM
My DS started playing when he was 8 (he’s now 10). We have the pocket edition for his iPad. I think it was $7? The toughest thing for us initially was that there is no real stopping point—he was used to playing games with levels or lives where there are definite places to stop. He has learned over time to end things when his time is up, but sometimes there is still too much “just another minute” or “can I just finish this?” We started him out only playing in creative mode, but once we got more familiar with the game, we allowed survival mode also.

I was hesitant to let him play at first, but it really has been fine. He plays with friends only when they are present with each other (on the same WiFi). He and my DD (who is 7) play a good bit together also.