PDA

View Full Version : Things that have significantly improved your health?

JustMe
02-01-2020, 06:04 PM
What things/changes/behaviors have had a significant impact on your heatlh? I am especially interested in less obvious things (obviously good diet and exercise improves health, but feel free to list if you would like).

-A waterpic has signifiantly improved my dental health. I have a small mouth and get lots of plaque build up. Hygenists are always complaining. During the summer, I was told I need a rooting and scaling. Also, some of my gum measurements (not sure what you call them) were at a 6. I had asked about a waterpic, and got a meh type response in terms of how helpful it would be. A friend of mine coincidentally mentioned that she had gum disease and a waterpic helped her greatly, so I purchased one. Had to put the rooting and scaling on hold for insurance and other reasons. Went to the dentist last week; my numbers are all between 1-3 and a rooting and scaling is not recommended any longer. I still have some areas with a lot of build up, but I am guessing it is less than it would have been without the waterpic.

This is on the more obvious side but I completely cut out sugar and other sweetners about 2 years ago and have had some amazing results. I should say even before that my diet was vegetarian, whole grain only and "good" fats. Still, my weight stayed higher than is healthy for me; I had a weight problem all my life and was on my first diet at age 4. Since cutting out sugar, my weight has gone lower than it ever has for me as an adult; it is not too low but is healthy. I was shocked when I was down a few pounds since the summer when I recently went to the dr and she ran tests to make sure everything is okay and it is. I feel that I am losing weight effortlessly and eat pretty good sized portions of food. I also love not having cravings or feeling that I "need" sugar.

What has improved your health?

Kestrel
02-01-2020, 06:50 PM
This may sound kind of strange, but the greatest difference for me in the last few years is the mattress we got last year. It's silly, but I still, a year later, I crawl in bed and say to myself "I love this bed!'
The difference in how I feel in the morning, no aches, no pinching, has been wonderful.

JustMe
02-01-2020, 06:55 PM
This may sound kind of strange, but the greatest difference for me in the last few years is the mattress we got last year. It's silly, but I still, a year later, I crawl in bed and say to myself "I love this bed!'
The difference in how I feel in the morning, no aches, no pinching, has been wonderful.

That's great! What kind of mattress is it?

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Nike fitness app

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
02-01-2020, 07:32 PM
What things/changes/behaviors have had a significant impact on your heatlh? I am especially interested in less obvious things (obviously good diet and exercise improves health, but feel free to list if you would like).

-A waterpic has signifiantly improved my dental health. I have a small mouth and get lots of plaque build up. Hygenists are always complaining. During the summer, I was told I need a rooting and scaling. Also, some of my gum measurements (not sure what you call them) were at a 6. I had asked about a waterpic, and got a meh type response in terms of how helpful it would be. A friend of mine coincidentally mentioned that she had gum disease and a waterpic helped her greatly, so I purchased one. Had to put the rooting and scaling on hold for insurance and other reasons. Went to the dentist last week; my numbers are all between 1-3 and a rooting and scaling is not recommended any longer. I still have some areas with a lot of build up, but I am guessing it is less than it would have been without the waterpic.

This is on the more obvious side but I completely cut out sugar and other sweetners about 2 years ago and have had some amazing results. I should say even before that my diet was vegetarian, whole grain only and "good" fats. Still, my weight stayed higher than is healthy for me; I had a weight problem all my life and was on my first diet at age 4. Since cutting out sugar, my weight has gone lower than it ever has for me as an adult; it is not too low but is healthy. I was shocked when I was down a few pounds since the summer when I recently went to the dr and she ran tests to make sure everything is okay and it is. I feel that I am losing weight effortlessly and eat pretty good sized portions of food. I also love not having cravings or feeling that I "need" sugar.

What did you do to curb your sugar cravings at first? I always try to cut out sugar but always end up not being very successful!

JustMe
02-01-2020, 07:36 PM
What did you do to curb your sugar cravings at first? I always try to cut out sugar but always end up not being very successful!

I just ate lots of nuts and some herbal tea when I really needed something sweet. The calories in nuts do not seem to bother me at all. The nuts helped retrain whatever it was that got retrained so I no longer have sugar cravings.

JustMe
02-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Nike fitness app

How do you use the Nike fitness app, as in how do you choose your workouts when you first got started?

Kestrel
02-01-2020, 07:50 PM
The mattress we got was the Beautyrest Platinum Gabriella. We absolutely love it. Everyone is different, and it might not suit you - but I have to say a new mattress has really changed things for us.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2020, 07:51 PM
How do you use the Nike fitness app, as in how do you choose your workouts when you first got started?

Trial and error. Beginner were too easy, most intermediates were too though an occasional one snuck in and kicked my butt. :) YOu get to see the wrkout preview when you start (how many of what exercises) so easy to scroll through and choose a fun one.

gymnbomb
02-01-2020, 08:08 PM
The mattress we got was the Beautyrest Platinum Gabriella. We absolutely love it. Everyone is different, and it might not suit you - but I have to say a new mattress has really changed things for us.

I used to have a Beautyrest (it is now in my guest room) and I miss it so much!! I love that we got a bigger bed, but I hate the mattress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
02-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Training for triathlons--pick an event and train for it. It can be anything from a 5K to an Ironman.
Running on trails/biking outdoors whenever possible--exercising outside is key for my mental health.
Increasing my work hours from 23 to 32--I can get my work done and don't run around like a stress bunny.
Having work stress calm down meant I wasn't stress eating every night after dinner. I lost 14 pounds between September-December and the only change I made was no more nightly stress eating.
Moving to Utah, to a less crowded, easy commute, outdoorsy life style was a huge life change for me and I am so glad I made it.
Having a dog is a great impact--it makes me go out for walks, gives me someone who is always happy when I come home, and who loves to snuggle with me. (this is especially important when one has teenagers...)
Monthly therapy appointments. I have to keep my stress from going on overload, so by clearing out my bucket every month, I feel like I can stay ahead of it.
Taking anxiety meds for 25 years. Allows me to think clearly, form healthy relationships, take care of my children, and be an all around better person!!!
Cooking from scratch--I really like healthy meals that taste fantastic and make me feel good.

Liziz
02-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Getting a piano. I played as a child, but haven't owned a piano in my adult life. We got one a few months ago, and my mental health is sooooo much better being able to sit down and play every day.

I also finally gave exercising every day a try. I've always hated exercising, but tried repeatedly to get into some kind of routine. The one thing I've never tried is doing it every.single.day. I always felt like I "needed" days off. But I finally tried doing short routines every single day and have been impressed with how much easier it's actually been to stick with it (I tried this after listening to a podcast about how habits are formed....). As someone who has always hated exercise (and honestly still can't say I love it) it annoys me to find out how much better I feel - a little bit physically, but a huge amount mentally.

I also agree with the cooking from scratch.

marymoo86
02-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Eliminating synthetic everything especially iron. Balancing minerals and EFT.

I have not needed to take any meds and have not had more than mild congestion in years.

petesgirl
02-02-2020, 12:26 AM
Getting diagnosed with MS. :ROTFLMAO:
I now eat 6-9 cups of veggies every day and have cut my sugar intake way back (still need to cut it to zero, but at least I'm doing things like 88% dark chocolate and dates now instead of ice cream). In reality though, I can't tell if any of that is helping. I don't feel much better yet.

jerseygirl07067
02-02-2020, 12:31 AM
Getting diagnosed with MS. :ROTFLMAO:
I now eat 6-9 cups of veggies every day and have cut my sugar intake way back (still need to cut it to zero, but at least I'm doing things like 88% dark chocolate and dates now instead of ice cream). In reality though, I can't tell if any of that is helping. I don't feel much better yet.

I'm sorry to hear of you MS diagnosis. Best of luck to you and that is great that you have changed your diet. I need to do the same! I work in the medical field and have read so much about the benefits of the Mediterranean way of eating, but am not putting it into practice as much as I would like. I literally was going to post about this tonight, but kind of got sidetracked by the other threads! lol

petesgirl
02-02-2020, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear of you MS diagnosis. Best of luck to you and that is great that you have changed your diet. I need to do the same! I work in the medical field and have read so much about the benefits of the Mediterranean way of eating, but am not putting it into practice as much as I would like. I literally was going to post about this tonight, but kind of got sidetracked by the other threads! lol

The thing that I'm becoming really interested in right now is Leaky Gut and how to fix it. I keep finding articles about how important gut health is to everything...brain function, immune system, etc. But, a lot of traditional medical doctors don't know much about it so I don't know if it's overly hyped up by people using it to market their products. My son just got diagnosed with ADHD and I'm sure diet plays a part in that as well. I have 2 goals for my family this year: eat less sugar and eat more veggies. Both are easier said than done.

ellies mom
02-02-2020, 01:10 AM
Getting my chronic headaches under control. I went from 3-4 a week to 3-4 a month. It has been life altering. I should have done this years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles
02-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Getting my chronic headaches under control. I went from 3-4 a week to 3-4 a month. It has been life altering. I should have done this years ago.

What did you find that helped reduce their frequency for you?

Melaine
02-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Eliminating synthetic everything especially iron. Balancing minerals and EFT.

I have not needed to take any meds and have not had more than mild congestion in years.

How do you use EFT? I have tap with brad but really haven't used it with enough consistency. Can you give me any tips?

marymoo86
02-02-2020, 09:31 AM
How do you use EFT? I have tap with brad but really haven't used it with enough consistency. Can you give me any tips?

Treating it like mediation in the morning or evening. Solid devotion/silence. But also during the day when little/big frustrations pop up. I may not be able to do it all but starting the karate chop and pinching between thumb and pointer finger even helps.

JustMe
02-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Marymoo or Melanie, is there a site on line you would suggest for a refresher or even good enough intro to EFT? I learned it in the past, but it has been a long time..and it seems like a good idea.

Ellie's mom, I would also love to know how you reduced your headaches. I don't get them, but dd does.

fauve01
02-02-2020, 04:32 PM

what do you mean by cutting out sugar? is it sweets? or anything that has sugar on the label? more details please!

and how often do you do your waterpik? is it am or pm or ? is it timed?

JustMe
02-02-2020, 06:43 PM
what do you mean by cutting out sugar? is it sweets? or anything that has sugar on the label? more details please!

and how often do you do your waterpik? is it am or pm or ? is it timed?

By cutting out sugar, I mean I do eat veggies and eat some fruit (I started out with no fruit, but now I eat it when I want; I don't think it bothers me, but I just eat other things). I do not eat any sugar (other than fruit and veggies), maple syrup, agave, coconut sugar or other types, honey, artificial sweetners (I will occasionally have some chocolate with stevia). I should say I rarely eat those things; once in a while I will have something, but rarely. I do read labels and ask at restaurants if things have sugar and the rest of what I said. I did this because I was always overweight even when moderating calories and eating a reasonably good diet with some--but not a ton--of sugar. There is also heart disease in my family. I had high cholesterol (and still do, but its on the low side of high ) and high tricylcerides, which is now very normal...but i knew sugar was an issue for me. I tried to find the book I used--I feel like it was something like sugar reset or sugar detox or something like that, but I cant find it. I had to cut out a lot of things (including sugar of course, but also wheat/gluten, dairy, and other things I dont remember right now. Then you can add in what you think is okay. I find that I do well with some whole grains and cutting then out completely both does not feel good and does not seem necessary for me; I can have a small amount of dairy...but sugar and white flour are things that do not work well with my system. It really does feel like a reset as I just dont need sugar like I used to.

As far as the waterpic, I use it in the morning after breakfast and before I go to bed at night, You could probably do it once a day, but I just do it when I brush my teeth. I have some tight spaces in between my teeth and it really helps make sure nothing is in there that should not be; also I dont have to floss, so its no big deal for me. There is a timer on there, but I dont really use it anymore.

ellies mom
02-02-2020, 07:02 PM
What did you find that helped reduce their frequency for you?

I’m taking a beta blocker. Generally, they prescribe propranolol but I take atenolol because I wanted a once daily. I have imitrex for when I do get a migraine.

essnce629
02-02-2020, 09:16 PM
I’m taking a beta blocker. Generally, they prescribe propranolol but I take atenolol because I wanted a once daily. I have imitrex for when I do get a migraine.

That's so interesting, how does it work for headaches? My best friend was having severe migraines almost daily and did the botox in her head for the past 2 years or so. It helped, but not 100%. I talked to her last week and she said she was getting the nerves to her head severed in a procedure on Fri. So scary! But how awesome if a beta blocker would have helped!

I was on propranolol for the first few months after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism to bring my heart rate down before the antithyroid meds kicked in.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

wendibird22
02-02-2020, 10:26 PM
Going gluten free which healed so much inflammation in my body and fixed things I never imagined were related.

Running

Daily yoga

petesgirl
02-03-2020, 12:56 AM
Going gluten free which healed so much inflammation in my body and fixed things I never imagined were related.

Running

Daily yoga

Is your whole family gluten free now as well? I've gone gluten free, although I'm the only one i my family and it feels like I will never be truly gluten free because of that. Do you have any favorite products that might help my kids be more willing to swap their wheat stuff with? Mostly bread, as one of DSs eats a pband j every day. They just think my gluten free stuff is all gross.

basil
02-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Lifting heavy weights (barbells). I am not athletic at all, so was never interested in this. I am still not strong as compared to many, but has helped a lot of little things to work on that element.

kdeunc
02-03-2020, 11:24 AM
JustMe, which Waterpik model are you using? I am looking for one and trying to decide if there is a big difference between the models.

JustMe
02-03-2020, 11:42 AM
JustMe, which Waterpik model are you using? I am looking for one and trying to decide if there is a big difference between the models.

I have an Aquarius, but I don't think there is a big difference between the Aquarius, Ultra, other models. I have only used the general tip. I originally thought I would use some of the speciality/deeper cleaning tips, but I never got around to incorporating them and I feel it is doing its job/getting me results as is. I do think it is important to use it on full strength (although generally you start out lower until you get used to the feeling and build up to the higher setting). Mine does not have a toothbrush and I don't know if anything would improve if I had one. I use the waterpic and brush my teeth (with a regular tooth brush) after, which is the order that is recommended. If I was going to buy again, I would buy a model like the one I am linking from Costco that has both a plug in and a cordless model included so I could take the cordless on trips/vacations. Costco does have sales from time to time, but I had bought mine from Walgreens as there was no sale and I didn't think I was going to need a cordless.

ETA: I just looked at the reviews and I guess people dont really like the cordless model, so not sure if its worth buying or not. Also, people complain that the main unit is noisy; I guess I never really thought about it, but it is! I don't care, it does a good job and I only run it for 2 minutes. Its certainly not as loud as a vaccum cleaner or anything like that!

https://www.costco.com/waterpik-ultra-plus-and-cordless-select-water-flosser-combo-pack.product.100489873.html

(https://www.costco.com/waterpik-ultra-plus-and-cordless-select-water-flosser-combo-pack.product.100489873.html)

kdeunc
02-03-2020, 11:58 AM
I have an Aquarius, but I don't think there is a big difference between the Aquarius, Ultra, other models. I have only used the general tip. I originally thought I would use some of the speciality/deeper cleaning tips, but I never got around to incorporating them and I feel it is doing its job/getting me results as is. I do think it is important to use it on full strength (although generally you start out lower until you get used to the feeling and build up to the higher setting). Mine does not have a toothbrush and I don't know if anything would improve if I had one. I use the waterpic and brush my teeth (with a regular tooth brush) after, which is the order that is recommended. If I was going to buy again, I would buy a model like the one I am linking from Costco that has both a plug in and a cordless option so I could take the cordless on trips/vacations. Costco does have sales from time to time, but I had bought mine from Walgreens as there was no sale and I didn't think I was going to need a cordless.

https://www.costco.com/waterpik-ultra-plus-and-cordless-select-water-flosser-combo-pack.product.100489873.html

(https://www.costco.com/waterpik-ultra-plus-and-cordless-select-water-flosser-combo-pack.product.100489873.html)

Thank you! Amazon has a one right now that is the Ultra Plus and then a smaller version with a travel bag which I think would be nice. Good to know that you haven't really used the other tips. Some of the package options come with additional tips and I wasn't sure how much different those would be. I think it will be beneficial to me and DS2 especially as we both have fairly tight teeth and he is getting ready to get braces. I appreciate you sharing your info!

JustMe
02-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Thank you! Amazon has a one right now that is the Ultra Plus and then a smaller version with a travel bag which I think would be nice. Good to know that you haven't really used the other tips. Some of the package options come with additional tips and I wasn't sure how much different those would be. I think it will be beneficial to me and DS2 especially as we both have fairly tight teeth and he is getting ready to get braces. I appreciate you sharing your info!

That sounds like a good choice! It is especially useful for tight teeth!.

marymoo86
02-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Marymoo or Melanie, is there a site on line you would suggest for a refresher or even good enough intro to EFT? I learned it in the past, but it has been a long time..and it seems like a good idea.

Ellie's mom, I would also love to know how you reduced your headaches. I don't get them, but dd does.

Here's a good starting point:

https://myersdetox.com/96-remove-negative-emotions-with-eft-with-kelly-roughton/?fbclid=IwAR3l4g2XLMrr_SeYg3bIdgEDSEraTnIzSwlN2xa5 1WZGPaSiqnd078iwWCI

wendibird22
02-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Is your whole family gluten free now as well? I've gone gluten free, although I'm the only one i my family and it feels like I will never be truly gluten free because of that. Do you have any favorite products that might help my kids be more willing to swap their wheat stuff with? Mostly bread, as one of DSs eats a pband j every day. They just think my gluten free stuff is all gross.

Our family meals are all GF (so dinners, holiday meals, etc) but DH and DDs are not GF for breakfast or lunches. We are very careful about cross contamination. Separate toaster, separate waffle maker, etc.

I’m lucky be me in the Wegmans homeland and so lots of GF products in their stores. For pasta I like theirs and Barilla. Canyon Bakehouse bread is amazing. Krusteez brand bake mixes are very good, as are Wegmans. I don’t shop Aldis much but my GF friends love their products. Bob’s Red Mill GF all purpose flower is a very good substitute for regular flour in standard recipes.

newnana
02-03-2020, 02:40 PM
For those who have never used a waterpik (love, btw), it takes a little getting used to. I periodically stop paying attention and completely spray my mirror. DD uses hers in the shower. Turn it on after it's in your mouth and turn it off before taking it out. If you douse your mirror, you are not alone. It's definitely a must do part of our dental routine.

NCGrandma
02-03-2020, 04:14 PM
For those who have never used a waterpik (love, btw), it takes a little getting used to. I periodically stop paying attention and completely spray my mirror. DD uses hers in the shower. Turn it on after it's in your mouth and turn it off before taking it out. If you douse your mirror, you are not alone. It's definitely a must do part of our dental routine.

I never was able to get past the initial learning phase, even though I’ve used various models of Sonicare toothbrushes for years without incident [emoji57]. For some reason, the Waterpik just didn’t work for me. Fortunately the newer Sonicare models are enough better that my dentist says my gums are dramatically improved, so I’ve given up on the Waterpik. (Mine came with a small travel model, which I gave to DGD1 during her braces phase. Useful gift but I still remember how her face fell on Christmas morning when she unwrapped it...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

smilequeen
02-04-2020, 10:20 AM
I had a tough time losing weight through calorie restriction. I went to a functional medicine doc and was placed on a specific low carb diet and dropped 25 lbs fairly easily (now after that, it's been a bigger battle and I would like to lose a bit more). I probably always had PCOS (although a few miscarriages and ovarian cysts were my only symptoms back when I was actually ttc)...I am insulin resistant. Losing that 25 lbs (gained while pregnant) did wonders for me as did the low carb diet for my energy level and digestive system.

No screens in bed is so simple, but really has changed my sleep patterns. It is hard, but I put the screens away and read at bedtime now. I forgot how much I missed doing that and I'm sleeping better...win/win.

ang79
02-04-2020, 04:05 PM
I need to get into a regular exercising routine. I was using FitStar Yoga app because the workouts synced to my Fitbit. But sometimes it’s glitchy and it only gives 1 new workout a week if on the free program. Any refs for other yoga apps or YouTube channels? Still a beginner. I have the Nike Fitness app too but haven’t used it much. DD1 lives to run and I should do that with her, but really hate running. Would love to make some changes to lose the mom belly I’ve acquired and just for overall health now that I’m 40.

Liziz
02-04-2020, 06:22 PM
I need to get into a regular exercising routine. I was using FitStar Yoga app because the workouts synced to my Fitbit. But sometimes it’s glitchy and it only gives 1 new workout a week if on the free program. Any refs for other yoga apps or YouTube channels? Still a beginner. I have the Nike Fitness app too but haven’t used it much. DD1 lives to run and I should do that with her, but really hate running. Would love to make some changes to lose the mom belly I’ve acquired and just for overall health now that I’m 40.

I am doing a Bikini Body Mommy 90 day challenge right now (she has a lot of different stuff, but I'm personally doing the 7.0 right now and like it). I like it because it's every single day (excluding Sunday) but it's super short, so it's been great for me to get in the habit without feeling like I'm forced to commit a giant chunk of time (which has always been the biggest limiter to my working out). Plus it starts out basically for someone who hasn't been working out at all, so I didn't get discouraged early on.

ang79
02-04-2020, 07:44 PM
I am doing a Bikini Body Mommy 90 day challenge right now (she has a lot of different stuff, but I'm personally doing the 7.0 right now and like it). I like it because it's every single day (excluding Sunday) but it's super short, so it's been great for me to get in the habit without feeling like I'm forced to commit a giant chunk of time (which has always been the biggest limiter to my working out). Plus it starts out basically for someone who hasn't been working out at all, so I didn't get discouraged early on.

Thanks! Never heard of her but I'll take a look at it!

hwin708
02-04-2020, 08:35 PM
I use a Sulcabrush (https://www.amazon.com/Sulcabrush-SG_B000FAQICE_US-Handle/dp/B000FAQICE/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Sulcabrush&qid=1580862371&sr=8-10&th=1) in lieu of flossing. TBH you are likely meant to do both, but this works for me. My gums are perfect, as are the areas between my teeth. The main difference for me is that it is EASY. You can do it casually while watching TV. Or wherever your preference may be. I just really don't do well at sticking to items added to my routine that take time and effort. This is something that takes no real effort, beyond remembering.

wendibird22
02-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Totally free. Tons and tons of videos. All types of yoga...restorative and meditative to butt kicking. She does a 30-day series ever year and also puts out monthly calendars for daily practice. Most of her videos are 20-30 mins. I’ve been doing her videos for years and still adore her and really love that she puts out new content weekly all for free.

mm123
02-04-2020, 10:41 PM

You should look at https://www.fitnessblender.com

They have hundreds of exercise videos on there. Love it. I think someone here recommended it. You can filter the workout videos by length, type of workout, difficulty level, etc. They have a lot of yoga videos on there if that’s what you’re looking for.

All the videos are free. You just have to pay if you want them to organize a ‘program’ for you.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2020, 11:07 PM

They have hundreds of exercise videos on there. Love it. I think someone here recommended it. You can filter the workout videos by length, type of workout, difficulty level, etc. They have a lot of yoga videos on there if that’s what you’re looking for.

All the videos are free. You just have to pay if you want them to organize a ‘program’ for you.

Alas, I find those way too boring. I need good music for workouts and these have no music (or canned beats). You can’t play music and the videos together from your phone so these would only work for me if I weren’t at the gym and could play my music over a different speaker. I’m thinking about doing a trial of the new Les Mills app as they’ve always been some of my favorite workouts.

mm123
02-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Funny- I like that the fitness blender videos are quiet/music-free. Especially since I work out at home, at the crack of dawn. Less chance of waking anyone up (very small home).

niccig
02-05-2020, 01:11 AM

I was coming to say Fitness Blender. I’ve never worked out regularly and now I do with them. I like that there isn’t any music. I buy their organized programs and typically I do shorter workouts,30-40 mins.

Intermittent fasting has also helped curb the mindless eating when I got home fro work.

Mommy_Mea
02-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Ditto! I choose the video that meets my time slot and goal (stretching my back, seriously working my arms, etc). I love yoga, but can't make actual classes very often, and Yoga with Adrienne has been awesome!
Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Totally free. Tons and tons of videos. All types of yoga...restorative and meditative to butt kicking. She does a 30-day series ever year and also puts out monthly calendars for daily practice. Most of her videos are 20-30 mins. I’ve been doing her videos for years and still adore her and really love that she puts out new content weekly all for free.

gatorsmom
02-05-2020, 04:41 PM
I’ve been thinking about this for a few days. Adding long walks to my day has been fantastic for my health. But a small thing I added to my day that has almost eliminated my headaches is using a proxy brush between my teeth to keep my gums healthy. It’s probably similar to the sulcabrush described above. I had frequent bad headaches on the same side of my head that I had regular sinus headaches. Or at least I thought they were sinus headaches. My dentist recommended a descaling of a problem spot between my teeth. They cleared that spot and injected antibiotics in my gums. It didn’t hurt and it cleared up the bleeding that I’ve had in that area for years. Since then, I’ve kept my gums in fighting shape using that proxy brush every
time I brush and I’ve noticed that my sinus headaches are gone. I’ve read that nerve endings from around the teeth can stretch all the way up into the upper jaw and cheek so I suspect that was the real culprit.

Chronic pain can be a real energy suck!

Kindra178
02-06-2020, 12:17 AM
Sleeping with a pillow between my knees and ankles. Still falls out sometimes and I forgot to do it some nights. I no longer have low back pain.

Weightlifting.

Clean eating with some fasting. Fewer pms symptoms.

elbenn
02-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Berkey Water Filter. It makes the water taste great which encourages more water drinking.

This thread is really interesting! I love all the different replies.

MommyAllison
02-06-2020, 01:26 PM
I was coming to say Fitness Blender. I’ve never worked out regularly and now I do with them. I like that there isn’t any music. I buy their organized programs and typically I do shorter workouts,30-40 mins.

Intermittent fasting has also helped curb the mindless eating when I got home fro work.

I love Fitness Blender too! ITA with Nicci, I prefer no music, buy the programs, and usually do 30-45 minute workouts. The programs are basically a curated calendar of their free workouts, it's worth it to me to be able to just click onto their website and hit play, without having to decide which workout I want to do and make sure I balance lower body strength/HIIT/upper body strength throughout the week - and you can reuse the programs forever, as many times as you want, without paying anything additional. But, all of their workout videos are completely free and you don't have to buy a program.