PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - school calendar changed. Let DS skip?

Kestrel
02-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Hey Everyone. I'm kind of torn over a happening at school. It very rarely snows here - not even every year. Feb 14 was to be a teacher-only school day, no students. We signed up months ago to do a class on the 13th that runs from 6pm-8:30pm, at a large city two hours away from home. This class was quite expensive for us. Today, the school sent out a notice that because we had a snow day in December, Feb 14 is now a regular class day. We had no worries about the class being a late night, because it was going into a three day weekend!

Now, we won't get home until 11pm on a school night, at best. I'm really tempted to just let DS skip class, but it's a bad precedent to set. However, the class is not offered again this year.

WWYD?

Edited to add: DS is 10, and in 5th grade. His normal bedtime is 8:45.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2020, 10:15 PM
I would stick with your original plan and play it by ear for school the next day. It would be a total non-issue to do school after getting home at 11pm.

georgiegirl
02-01-2020, 10:38 PM
How old? If he’s young, let him sleep in and send him to school late. If he’s a teenager, have him suck it up and send him on time.

PZMommy
02-01-2020, 11:21 PM
How old? If he’s young, let him sleep in and send him to school late. If he’s a teenager, have him suck it up and send him on time.

I agree with this. It will be a Friday, and he will have the weekend to rest. Plus if he is elem school, it is Valentine’s Day, so odds are there will be fun activities.

boilermakermom
02-01-2020, 11:30 PM
I would let him either go in late or have him just tough it out and get through the day. Either way, don’t skip the class!!!!

smilequeen
02-01-2020, 11:41 PM
Depends on how old he is but my kids would all be just fine going to school the next day.

JustMe
02-01-2020, 11:47 PM
Agree with playing it by ear. One day is not going to ruin anything either way. If he misses, I would just explain to him that you would rarely allow him to miss school unless he is sick and explain why you are making the exception.

urquie
02-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Do the class, turn off any alarm clock he might hear… have him go to school when he naturally wakes up.

KpbS
02-02-2020, 12:24 AM
I’d have him skip school and not worry a bit about it.

jerseygirl07067
02-02-2020, 12:25 AM
Definitely do the class. I have 2 in HS and one in elementary and even with all of the work they miss in HS for one day, I have let them go in late on occasions like this. My kids are on a pretty advanced academic track but I will sheepishly admit that I let my 14 y/o DD go to school 2 hours late the day after halloween. You only live once. I have this perspective more now as my kids are getting older. I liked the fact that she still even wanted to dress up in a costume with her friends. One day she won't want to anymore.

Do the class, have fun, and don't sweat it!!

elbert
02-02-2020, 12:53 AM
Agree with all the others. Advantage is that it’s a Friday, so if you opt to send him, it’s only one day to get through at school and he can crash afterward. It’s unlikely he’ll sleep all day, so going on late is okay, too, given the unique situation. I don’t think this would set a precedent given the circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MMMommy
02-02-2020, 12:58 AM
I would definitely do the class AND go to school the next day. Like PPs mentioned, he has the rest of the weekend to relax and catch up on rest. At age 10, 5th grade, getting home at 11pm and going to school the next day wouldn't be a big deal and totally doable.

WatchingThemGrow
02-02-2020, 04:40 AM
Assuming he's not driving back, why can't he sleep on the way home, then go to school? We've gotten off a plane at 6 am and gone to school at 7. My kids said they were fine that day. (I wasn't, but they were!)

SnuggleBuggles
02-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Does he normally fall asleep at 8:45 or does he read/ relax longer? Honestly, you probably aren’t shortchanging him that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
02-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Monday is also President’s Day so I bet he won’t be the only one missing from class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_mom
02-02-2020, 12:40 PM
I'm with everyone else - go to the class and depending on his age, either go to school on time or go in late. I guarantee that the teachers are not going to do anything majorly important that day. They know that there will be a lot of kids out because people made travel plans weeks or months ago for a 4-day weekend.

hbridge
02-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Definitely do the class! I would say send him in mid-morning. He won't miss much!

Also, if this is a last minute calendar change there will be MANY students absent. If he is too exhausted and has to miss the whole day, I wouldn't worry too much!

doberbrat
02-02-2020, 09:59 PM
I never let my kids skip regardless of when we get in. I'd definitely do the class and send him to school. If he cant manage to get up, then let him go in late.

candaceb
02-03-2020, 12:29 AM
He won't be the only one absent with a late change before a holiday weekend. Let him skip.

carolinamama
02-03-2020, 11:10 AM
I would definitely still go to the class. As for school the next day, I would probably still send mine especially since it's only one day to get through. It wouldn't bother me to send mine tardy or even take a day off either. Your family is surely not the only one who had already made plans for a long weekend so your DS likely wouldn't be the only one to miss.

AngB
02-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Definitely go to the class.

I am fine with any of the options for the next day. Letting him stay home, letting his sleep in, sending him on time- just depending how it goes. I think if you don't make a big deal about it, you really don't have to worry about it setting a precedent. Especially by 5th grade if it hasn't been a regular thing prior to now, he knows it's a special occasion.

My 7 yo fell asleep sometime between 10 and 10:30 last night- not ideal and later than usual b/c superbowl. He actually was up on his own and perfectly fine to go today.

My kids have make up days scheduled for the week of Memorial Day. I'm actually contemplating scheduling a vacation instead. It's significantly cheaper and I'm not too upset that they'll miss kickball tournaments and movie marathons,etc.

HannaAddict
02-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Skip class! This wouldn’t be a big deal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk