PDA

View Full Version : How to start a job search after being out of the work force as a SAHM

jacksmomtobe
02-02-2020, 05:37 PM
So i have been toying with the idea of going back to work after a large gap but now have decided for financial reasons I really should finally do it. I have not worked since ds was born and he will turn 15 soon. While him and DD who is 13 and now in 8th grade were in elementary school I held leadership positions in the PTO and ran 2 major fundraising efforts along with running a yearly auction. I was a bit burnt out when DD finished up but now do a minor roll in maintaining the middle school website. I have no idea of how to get started especially from a resume stand point. I would appreciate any tips and or any recommendations on resources to check out.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
02-02-2020, 05:41 PM
I was in your shoes. I wrote my resume to highlight my volunteer experience (I did have a few paid gigs to sprinkle in too). Biggest thing is networking. I imagine over the years that you’ve made a positive impression on people. Let them know you’re looking to enter the job market. That’s how I got something. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lizzywednesday
02-03-2020, 12:47 PM
So i have been toying with the idea of going back to work after a large gap but now have decided for financial reasons I really should finally do it. I have not worked since ds was born and he will turn 15 soon. While him and DD who is 13 and now in 8th grade were in elementary school I held leadership positions in the PTO and ran 2 major fundraising efforts along with running a yearly auction. I was a bit burnt out when DD finished up but now do a minor roll in maintaining the middle school website. I have no idea of how to get started especially from a resume stand point. I would appreciate any tips and or any recommendations on resources to check out.

Thanks!

I've been out 6 years and have shifted my volunteer experience to the top of my resume.

Some people find it's better to go with an "experiential resume" which groups your experience rather than job titles together. HR departments may find this hard to read, so it may not be your best bet.

Focus on your skills - sounds to me like fundraising & project planning are good ones to figure out keywords for - and, if you can, meet with a career counselor. You may have free resources provided by your state/county. I do in NJ, but haven't really taken full advantage.

AngB
02-03-2020, 12:58 PM

Thanks!

If you have a college degree and/or any community college experience, most of them have an entire office that works on job placement help and they usually have people that are experts at resume writing and can likely help you with your resume as well as possibly job leads- for free. Might be a good place to start. I used them to help with my resume after ultrasound school and while I didn't take all of their suggestions it was at least helpful to get feedback.

lizzywednesday
02-03-2020, 07:49 PM
... an entire office that works on job placement help and they usually have people that are experts at resume writing and can likely help you with your resume as well as possibly job leads- for free. ....

Not exactly.

It's free for recent graduates and then charges are calculated based on how long you've been out of school. I may be able to get free resume critiquing, but that's about it.

If I were to use my university's career center, since I've been out 20 years this year, I'd have to pay $75 per appointment with a career counselor.

mmsmom
02-03-2020, 08:20 PM
I just went back to work after 12 years at home. It took about 4 months to get an offer then another 3 months to find right fit. I hired a resume writer that I found online. I sent my previous resume and they revised it for today’s market. They also wrote a cover letter and my LinkedIn profile. I did not include my volunteer work on my resume. In my experience in all of the interviews they asked about the gap in my resume- I said I had been home with my family. They also asked what I had done to keep up my skills and that’s when I would talk about volunteer work. I mainly used LinkedIn and Indeed. I did network as well and talked to a lot of recruiters. In the end the job I took was not advertised but a recruiter called me about it.

Also, make sure you have professional references. Thankfully I kept in touch with a few people from my last job so was able to use them. Applications often ask for references so you need to be prepared with 3. Good luck!

Smillow
02-04-2020, 12:06 AM
My situation was a little different, my DH and I have had our own business for 20 years and I wanted to find a part time job to supplement our income as we modify some aspects of our business. I had told a few friends that I was looking and an opportunity presented itself and I had to create a resume for the first time in 20 years in under an hour. A blessing in disguise. I churned one out which gave me a document to work from. I didn't get that job or the next one that I applied for, but I took my resume copies to a local job fair and ended up with some call backs and eventually started working for a tax preparation firm from Jan to Apr. It is as about as perfect a fit as I could have asked for. The most difficult part is getting a resume together. If you can't artificially create a situation where you have to churn something out quickly, maybe you could get a friend to write the first draft for you. I helped out a friend that way a few years ago. A resume is not a place to be modest and if you aren't feeling confident because you are worried about gaps in your work history, some one who knows you well and knows what you are good at can cut through all that angst.

ged
02-04-2020, 12:29 PM
I just went back to work after 12 years at home. It took about 4 months to get an offer then another 3 months to find right fit. I hired a resume writer that I found online. I sent my previous resume and they revised it for today’s market. They also wrote a cover letter and my LinkedIn profile. I did not include my volunteer work on my resume. In my experience in all of the interviews they asked about the gap in my resume- I said I had been home with my family. They also asked what I had done to keep up my skills and that’s when I would talk about volunteer work. I mainly used LinkedIn and Indeed. I did network as well and talked to a lot of recruiters. In the end the job I took was not advertised but a recruiter called me about it.

Also, make sure you have professional references. Thankfully I kept in touch with a few people from my last job so was able to use them. Applications often ask for references so you need to be prepared with 3. Good luck!

I heartily agree with professional references. I did not work for over 10 years but when I had to go back to work, I got in touch with my old boss, and I wound up doing some work for her remotely for a few months. That significantly helped my resume, since instead of my last work exp being in 2005, I was now able to write "XXXX-2005, 2016-present"

And while I did not use LinkedIn or Indeed, the landscape has certainly changed and PP tips are great ones to consider. Never considered a resume writer before, but that makes total sense.