PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about wrestling

MSWR0319
02-04-2020, 04:53 PM
So DS has been begging to try wrestling. It's not my thing and I said my kids would never wrestle. Yet, I think he'd really like it so I'm letting him go to practice tonight. It's late in the season but they said he can come try it out (it's just a club the school does, they can go to matches if they want but don't have to). So is there anything I need to know? Maybe he'll come home and not like it at all, but he loves wrestling with his friends so I'm leaning more toward him liking it.

Oh, and they wrestle by weight, right? This is one of my concerns. He's only 7, but is extremely tall and muscular from swimming and weighs 61lbs. So I just fear he's going to be wrestling much older kids who know what they're doing because of his weight.

trales
02-04-2020, 05:59 PM
The only thing I know about it, is that if there is a good coach and team- the kids LOVE IT. Our friends shy son is a new kid because of it.

cuca_
02-04-2020, 08:18 PM
I have two wrestlers, and it is intense, and sometimes too much for me to watch. As far as the age, he will not be wrestling kids that are much older. There are brackets by age and weight. I think the brackets encompass more than one birth year, but no more than two. My DS has been wrestling for a few years and we don't really emphasize weight, DD is now wrestling too, and same with her. For the most part they fall in whatever bracket they fall.

Make sure you get a good head gear with ear protectors and a mouth guard, and that he gets used to wearing it at practice and matches. Also, showers right after practices and matches are a must. There are a lot of yucky things on those mats.

HannaAddict
02-05-2020, 12:29 PM
In high school it will be by weight so my freshman wrestled men with beards since he was a heavyweight. [emoji1787] Great coach and loves it. Like loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk