PDA

View Full Version : Tips for leather chair that smells bad?

WatchingThemGrow
02-09-2020, 07:29 PM
We bought a used Ekornes leather chair, and we quickly realized why the seller was getting rid of it. It smells like something...smoke maybe? I've wiped it with leather cleaner, put garbage bags and dryer sheets on it for 2 days, sprayed the "get rid of smoke spray" from Lowe's on it. And it still smells stale. What other suggestions do you have?

Smillow
02-09-2020, 08:59 PM
I would get a bag of plain charcoal open the bag on the seat and then cover the entire thing with an enormous trash bag or drop cloth for a few days. Then I’d wipe down the chair with bac-out or odoban or the like. Good luck!

petesgirl
02-09-2020, 10:18 PM
I bought a wood desk once that smelled smokey and honestly the only thing that worked was time. It's probably been 15 yrs and it doesn't smell anymore.

mikala
02-09-2020, 10:48 PM
I'd try letting it air outside on a sunny day.

bcafe
02-09-2020, 11:25 PM
We have an Ekornes chair and couch. Our dog likes to climb up on the couch and the only thing that gets his dog smell out is a mix of vinegar and water (maybe a touch of baking soda too) inside a spray bottle. It doesn't harm the leather as the mist is pretty fine. Wiping that down with a microfiber cloth to dry and the smells are gone.