PDA

View Full Version : Book help, please

Staraglimmer
02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
My daughter and her best friend are doing a school project. They need to find a book about 2 friends that is at least a 6th grade reading level. They have to make a video about it. So far every book is either inappropriate for a. 11 year old or two low of a reading level.

Thanks for any help at all. We are stressed over here. ♥️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
02-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Bridge to Terabithia?

lizzywednesday
02-15-2020, 04:27 PM
In addition to Terabithia, as suggested above, I'd also go with:

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (Anne Shirley and Diana Barry are the kind of BFFs I've always tried to be with my BFFs)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (OK, so this one's about more than 2 friends, but their changing dynamics make for an interesting novel)

Eight Cousins, or The Aunt Hill - Louisa May Alcott (Yes, it's got "cousins" in its title, but the main character kind of has to befriend her cousins & uncle Alec before she manages to find herself!)

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (Yes, okay, they're colonialist and classist, but they do have friendships at their core.)

The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander (first in the Chronicles of Prydain, it follows the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and Princess Eilonwy, with their traveling companions Fflewddyr Fflynn and Gurgi)

Pumpkinheads - words by Rainbow Rowell; art by Faith Erin Hicks (it's a graphic novel; I don't know how your DD's school feels about them, but I literally just read it and it's so charming & sweet!)

Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale (it's a retold fairy tale, with much food for thought)

Real Friends - Shannon Hale; art by LeUyen Pham (another graphic novel, but so very worth every panel)

elbenn
02-15-2020, 05:14 PM
Save Me a Seat - It's about boys, but it's a great book about friendship.

https://www.amazon.com/Save-Me-Seat-Scholastic-Gold/dp/0545846617/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=save+me+a+seat&qid=1581801273&sr=8-1

jgenie
02-15-2020, 09:03 PM
In addition to Terabithia, as suggested above, I'd also go with:

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (Anne Shirley and Diana Barry are the kind of BFFs I've always tried to be with my BFFs)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (OK, so this one's about more than 2 friends, but their changing dynamics make for an interesting novel)

Eight Cousins, or The Aunt Hill - Louisa May Alcott (Yes, it's got "cousins" in its title, but the main character kind of has to befriend her cousins & uncle Alec before she manages to find herself!)

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (Yes, okay, they're colonialist and classist, but they do have friendships at their core.)

The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander (first in the Chronicles of Prydain, it follows the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and Princess Eilonwy, with their traveling companions Fflewddyr Fflynn and Gurgi)

Pumpkinheads - words by Rainbow Rowell; art by Faith Erin Hicks (it's a graphic novel; I don't know how your DD's school feels about them, but I literally just read it and it's so charming & sweet!)

Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale (it's a retold fairy tale, with much food for thought)

Real Friends - Shannon Hale; art by LeUyen Pham (another graphic novel, but so very worth every panel)

Can I just say I would love to curl up with a cup of tea in front of your bookshelves. You always have such great suggestions!! Off to request some of these.

jent
02-15-2020, 09:52 PM
DD, who is in 7th grade, just looked over the reading log she has kept since last year and suggests:

Lily and Dunkin, by Donna Gephart
The Thing About Jellyfish, Ali Benjamin
Watch Us Rise, Renee Watson and Ellen Hagan

Good luck!

boilermakermom
02-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Another vote for Save me a Seat! Great book!!!

klwa
02-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Possibly An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. It's about Polly, a poor friend, who comes to visit Fanny, much richer city girl, for the winter. AR gives it an 8.2 reading level.

lizzywednesday
02-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Can I just say I would love to curl up with a cup of tea in front of your bookshelves. You always have such great suggestions!! Off to request some of these.

Thank you! I have been spending so many of the "DD is not quite ready for this" years reading new-to-me (or re-reading old favorite) middle grade & YA books that when I find one that resonates with me, I want to share it with everyone.

I find that a lot of Shannon Hale and Rainbow Rowell hits that sweet spot.

Staraglimmer
02-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! The teacher finally said that he would let them do “As Long as We are Together” even though he would prefer a higher reading level. I’m on overload currently, so I really appreciate all of the suggestions. ♥️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)