PDA

View Full Version : For Fun - How do you like your apples?

elbenn
02-15-2020, 05:22 PM
Just for fun:

Do you prefer your apples to be cold from the fridge, room temperature from a fruit bowl, or cooked?

Do you eat your apples whole, sliced, peeled, or another way?

Do you eat them plain or dip them or some other way?

What's your favorite kind of apple, and what kind of apples do you typically buy?

I like my apples to be cold and cut into small wedges. My favorite apples are honeycrisp, pink lady, and Fuji. I sometimes buy other apple varieties, especially if they are on sale, but mainly I buy those three varieties.

SnuggleBuggles
02-15-2020, 05:26 PM
Cold
Sliced
Plain or dipped in peanut butter
Honeycrisp, Envy, Jazz or Gala

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
02-15-2020, 05:26 PM
This is so fun and frivolous so I'll play!

I like my apples room temp, whole from the fruit bowl. But I don't mind cold and sliced either.

My preferred types are Gala and Honeycrisp. I like them crispy.

wendibird22
02-15-2020, 05:47 PM
Cold, sliced, crisp and tart. Eaten with a sharp cheddar or peanut butter.

Mommy_Mea
02-15-2020, 06:51 PM
I leave them on the counter so they are easy to grab for a snack. Sometimes I eat the apple straight up, but I also love slices with peanut butter, cheddar, raisins, cashews.

I love honey crisp, but they feel like a big splurge. Often I get pink lady and gala, the organic ones at whole foods are often a great price.

trentsmom
02-15-2020, 08:55 PM
Usually cold, but I wouldn't reject a room temp one
Sliced. I no longer enjoy biting straight into an apple. Can't remember when that changed.
Plain. But if the flavor is not there, I'll smear peanut butter on them.
My favorite is honeycrisp, but I enjoy eating other unusual varieties. Costco had a really great variety this past fall, but I can't remember the name. The description sounded good, so I bought a package. I like my apples crisp, juicy, and tart.

jgenie
02-15-2020, 08:55 PM
We leave them on the counter here. Always sliced when eaten at home but will eat whole if we’re out and about. I always buy organic so usually gala out of season and different varieties in season. I usually buy at Sams or Costco. I’ll have to look at Whole Foods when my current stash runs out.

MMMommy
02-16-2020, 02:02 AM
I prefer cold Fuji or Honeycrisp.

Melaine
02-16-2020, 07:36 AM
My first thought was, "in pie".

georgiegirl
02-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Cold
Sliced
Plain or dipped in peanut butter
Honeycrisp, Envy, Jazz or Gala

Yes! Opal apples are also very good. I love slices of cold, crisp sweet/tart apples

twowhat?
02-16-2020, 11:42 AM
I like them plain and cold, cut into wedges with any hard core material cut away. My favorites are Honeycrisp and Pink Lady (they are easy to find and they also seem to keep longer than others and stay crisp). I don't buy other varieties anymore unless I happen to see a local stash of something new that I've never heard of and want to try. But I love Granny Smith apples for baking and for cheese fondue and for the occasional caramel apple :)

ArizonaGirl
02-16-2020, 11:58 AM
I'll play!

Cold
Cut into slices
Plain or with peanut butter (YUM!)
Honeycrisp, pink lady or Arkansas black.

doberbrat
02-16-2020, 12:03 PM
My first thought was, "in pie".

:rotflmao::rotflmao::jammin: Love the honesty!

Room temp whole. Unless they're in a pie, I dont put anything on them.

I usually buy what is on sale. I love empire, honey crisp, golden and pink lady.

melrose7
02-16-2020, 04:16 PM
We keep them at room temperature but I wouldn’t turn down a cold one
Usually sliced but would eat a whole one
I’ll eat plain or with peanut butter
Love with caramel though
Gala and McIntosh are my favorite
My son loves Granny Smith
Don’t like Honeycrisp, not sure what the hype is

smilequeen
02-16-2020, 06:26 PM
I love apple everything. I usually buy Fuji apples and I like them sliced and dipped in PB or almond butter. Or warmed up and sprinkled with cinnamon. If I eat desert, I will almost always pick the apple option if there is one.

klwa
02-17-2020, 09:25 AM
Stewed apples are my favorite way to eat them. And I buy whatever strikes my fancy. :)

boilermakermom
02-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Honey crisp at room temp. Then sliced thin!

lizzywednesday
02-17-2020, 11:18 AM
I prefer my apples slightly tart and at any temperature ... TBH, my favorite is straight from the tree (we used to go apple picking every fall with my GS troops when I was a kid) with the promise of a cold jug of on-premises-pressed cider waiting in the farmstand as we exit.

We usually buy Gala, Pink Lady, JonaGold, or Cortlandts, depending on what looks good in the grocery store. When I can get to an orchard, I try to pick several different varieties, but usually stick pretty close to Cortlandts & Granny Smiths if I can get them. If I'm cooking with apples, I'm baking pies which means several varieties - Cortlandt plus Granny Smith plus Gala works nicely in pie, but if I'm making applesauce, I like to toss in Fujis.

I don't like the texture of Macintosh or Delicious varieties, so we never buy those.

elbenn
02-17-2020, 12:20 PM
It's interesting that no one peels their apples as I thought a lot of people did this. It's better not to though since a lot of nutrients are in the apple peel.

I have never seen Arkansas black apples in a grocery store here--they must be a regional apple variety.

bisous
02-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Fun question. I thought I answered this but don't see my reply.

So I didn't know cold apples was a thing. I wouldn't mind it at all but we eat all our applies at room temperature since that's where we store them. I like them sliced. I don't like them peeled. I am fine eating a whole apple too.

My favorites are the pink and sweet ones. Gala, pink lady, envy, honeycrisp. I like Opal (sp?) apples too. I will say I don't love granny smith but I will always eat them. I just prefer sweeter apples. In our family there is a clear divide between pink apple people and green apple people. DD and DS2 will ONLY eat green, DS3 will ONLY eat pink.

Ooh. I forgot to mention. I don't like Fuji for some reason. Not sure why. I'll totally eat them. I like them better even than granny smith but I don't ever pick them. Can't figure out what it is that bothers me!

specialp
02-17-2020, 01:34 PM
In this order: Opal, honey crisp, fuji. Peel on and sliced. Not cooked, no dips, nothing on them. We keep on the counter, but I slice enough to last a couple of days and store slices in the refrigerator so they are usually cold, but I do not care either way.

jgenie
02-17-2020, 01:56 PM
In this order: Opal, honey crisp, fuji. Peel on and sliced. Not cooked, no dips, nothing on them. We keep on the counter, but I slice enough to last a couple of days and store slices in the refrigerator so they are usually cold, but I do not care either way.

Do you do something to the sliced apples so they don’t brown in the fridge?

gymnbomb
02-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Room temperature or slightly cool, but not cold. Sliced. I prefer varieties that are less crisp and more sweet.

smilequeen
02-17-2020, 02:01 PM
This thread made me eat a lot of apples this weekend :)

specialp
02-17-2020, 03:16 PM

I dip them in a bowl of water that has a squeeze of lemon juice (bottle is fine) in it before I put them in the refrigerator. Not all varieties brown quickly when sliced (my boys did an experiment on it over Christmas), but I can never remember so I do it to all slices and always have.

div_0305
02-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Pink lady, honeycrisp, Fuji--sliced, but room temp. I keep them in my pantry during winter as it's like an icebox in there, but let them get to room temp before eating. I like them sliced. We are lucky to get local apples from Amish farms--not certified organic, but grown responsibly and super fresh and cheap.

babyonway
02-18-2020, 05:12 PM
I love my apples sliced and cold. Pink Lady has previously been my favorite but I have a new fav the new Cosmic Crisp apple (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/meet-cosmic-crisp-new-hybrid-apple-stays-fresh-year-180973691/). If you haven't tried them and have them available I highly recommend!!!

babyonway
02-18-2020, 05:15 PM

Lemon juice will reduce browning and doesn't change the taste. Works for avocados too!

PunkyBoo
02-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Honey crisp are my favorite, but I'll eat gala. I accidently bought pink lady a couple of weeks ago and they were REALLY tough, like I had to fight to get each bite off of it! So I got revenge on those tough apples and turned them all into yummy apple butter [emoji39] . I prefer them room temperature or cool, not cold (sensitive teeth). I prefer them sliced but hate browning, but never have time to do them with lemon, so I either eat whole or, when home, slice and eat immediately. I have to slice at home if I offer them to DS1 because of his braces, but he's perfectly happy eating applesauce anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

elbert
02-18-2020, 11:35 PM
I love my apples sliced and cold. Pink Lady has previously been my favorite but I have a new fav the new Cosmic Crisp apple (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/meet-cosmic-crisp-new-hybrid-apple-stays-fresh-year-180973691/). If you haven't tried them and have them available I highly recommend!!!

Well, now I’m craving an apple I’ve never even tried...!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

dhano923
02-19-2020, 10:08 PM
Granny Smith apples, straight from the fridge.

With peanut butter, as a caramel apple with peanuts, or in a martini. :D