PDA

View Full Version : We’re getting a dog. Give me puppy tips!

Melaine
02-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Can’t believe we are doing this.
total surprise for the kids, so no prebuying or prep!
Female Bernedoodle.
picking up next Saturday.
I am going to the library and want to pick up some books but can’t because kids will see. Have been reading online. Of course, this isn’t our first dog but this is our first puppy with kids so slightly more complicated. The girls will be super helpful and can take care of a lotta tasks.

mmsmom
02-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Puppy must go out in middle of night! They can only hold their bladders for 4-6 hours depending on size/age. So set an alarm (I had one that would cry to go out) and take them out 4 hours after you put puppy to bed. You only have to do this for a short time- probably 4-8 weeks. As they grow they can hold bladder longer.

Get a crate! Most puppies love their crate and it will make things so much easier for you.

dogmom
02-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Definitely crate to start with. All my dogs wind up on the bed, but they first start in a crate. I know they say keep it small so the dog won’t soil it. But my puppy got diarrhea for the first month or two . (No cause we could find) people kept telling me to keep the crate small then she would do it in the crate. It was ridiculous, she would just get it all over herself because she would get so exciting and jump around when we got up. Chocolate Lab + mess, You didn’t know until she rocketed out of the crate. A lot of mornings were spend by my husband in his pajamas hosing the crate and dog down in the driveway. I took the crate divider down and if she had diarrhea would do it in the back corner after that.

I got bells for the door because she wouldn’t bark to go out. We suck at housebreaking in the evening because everyone thinks someone else is watching the dog! Leash walk a lot and socialize. Puppy training helps, but you got to do the work in between the classes. Hope the dog is food oriented, then training is easier. Honestly I think the hardest time is between 6-12 months. They are are big, jumpy adolescents and that’s when you need training.

Melaine
02-29-2020, 12:32 PM
Yes the breeder has started crate training. Our beagle loved her crate from early days so we will be doing that for sure. I like the idea of a bell at the door

Kestrel
02-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Baby gates are useful to keep puppy out of areas until they are potty trained, and you know they won't chew up things.

Baby proof like she's a human baby - nothing on the floor or in reach that she can get at. Make sure the kids know this includes their toys! We spent months with nothing on the coffee table. (This ended up continuing, as that became adult tail height and would get swept off anyway!)

I firmly believe every pet should have a microchip, but it will be a few weeks, at least, until she's big enough. Also, spaying early will greatly reduce the chances of some cancers.

AngB
02-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Baby gates are useful to keep puppy out of areas until they are potty trained, and you know they won't chew up things.

Baby proof like she's a human baby - nothing on the floor or in reach that she can get at. Make sure the kids know this includes their toys! We spent months with nothing on the coffee table. (This ended up continuing, as that became adult tail height and would get swept off anyway!)

I firmly believe every pet should have a microchip, but it will be a few weeks, at least, until she's big enough. Also, spaying early will greatly reduce the chances of some cancers.

Unfortunately the research is now showing that spaying/neutering young- before they are fully grown - can contribute to orthopedic problems later. We had a mutt (german shepherd mix) that was spayed by the shelter at 8 weeks and by 1 she needed knee surgery and ultimately we had to euthanize her due to leg/joint problems when she was older- it got to where she couldn't walk anymore but she was otherwise healthy. :( The orthopedic vet said that absolutely her being spayed so young likely contributed to her knee / joint problems. We probably won't ever adopt a dog again from a shelter for that reason. Since then a lot of vets have now gotten away from recommending early spay/neuter as research has come out against it. (A bit controversial for shelters/etc. though.)

Kestrel
02-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Sorry about that - I guess I should have defined early better! It is shocking to me that anyone would spay at eight weeks! I was thinking more like at 12 months.

smilequeen
02-29-2020, 03:54 PM
On the spay...I think there may be some variation among vets, but ours wanted our female dog to go through a heat cycle before the spay. It was a pita and I called and scheduled as soon as she started, but he thought it was better for her so no regrets.

Our bernedoodle was honestly a relatively easy puppy. One tip was to set an alarm and take the puppy out at night *before* they get a chance to whine to go out. The vet gave us some guidance on when to try going all night. 4 or 5 months? I think? Hard to remember now. He really was easy and hasn't had accidents since. He was also super chill, but was a mega chewer. Get some good chew toys, strong ones, IME they are strong chewers and can destroy things. We have a Bark Box Super Chewer subscription for the bernedoodle. He always has to have a toy. Like he grabs one from his basket as soon as he comes in the house from outside and even when he's napping, there is a toy right next to him. Find a good groomer that knows doodles. They are fairly high maintenance. Ours needs a trim every 4-6 months and the fur over his eyes more frequently.

Melaine
03-01-2020, 04:23 PM
On the spay...I think there may be some variation among vets, but ours wanted our female dog to go through a heat cycle before the spay. It was a pita and I called and scheduled as soon as she started, but he thought it was better for her so no regrets.

Our bernedoodle was honestly a relatively easy puppy. One tip was to set an alarm and take the puppy out at night *before* they get a chance to whine to go out. The vet gave us some guidance on when to try going all night. 4 or 5 months? I think? Hard to remember now. He really was easy and hasn't had accidents since. He was also super chill, but was a mega chewer. Get some good chew toys, strong ones, IME they are strong chewers and can destroy things. We have a Bark Box Super Chewer subscription for the bernedoodle. He always has to have a toy. Like he grabs one from his basket as soon as he comes in the house from outside and even when he's napping, there is a toy right next to him. Find a good groomer that knows doodles. They are fairly high maintenance. Ours needs a trim every 4-6 months and the fur over his eyes more frequently.

So fun to talk to someone who has a Bernedoodle! I'm definitely thinking about the grooming issue. I'm itching to buy some supplies and reach out to friends for recommendations on groomers and such but the kids have NO CLUE and I can't risk them reading a text or somehow hearing from someone. We don't often do surprises and this will be like the best surprise ever. That's great to know that chew toys are so important!

Melaine
03-01-2020, 04:28 PM
We are going through today and spring cleaning, with the puppy in mind. If we could have told the kids that, they would have enjoyed it a lot more but oh well. Getting rid of some too easy to access stuff on low shelves and generally straightening and purging. I have gotten complacent about leaving my shoes and phone chargers lying around. Will a puppy bite a cord that is plugged into a wall? Fortunately, we've really cut back and decluttered so it's not too bad except the toys in DS's room. Also I am really considering switching up our closet set up so that the front closet has room for shoes.

doberbrat
03-01-2020, 05:16 PM
Will a puppy bite a cord that is plugged into a wall?

Some will. Most (ime) wont. Get some bitter apple and spray the cords as a preventative. Its easier to never start the habit esp since it is such a dangerous one. Can you enlist a trusted friend/neighbor to have stuff shipped to their house? Or even your breeder? Then you can order supplies w/o ruining the surprise? (Dont forget amazon notifications though!)

AngB
03-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Sorry about that - I guess I should have defined early better! It is shocking to me that anyone would spay at eight weeks! I was thinking more like at 12 months.

Oh yes! I think sometime between 6-18 months is reasonable for most breeds!

Unfortunately shelters/rescues almost all spay/neuter puppies before they adopt them out. I understand that they don't want those puppies to create puppies and contribute to the problem but it's unfortunate they may be causing health issues for those pets by doing so. :( Knowing that we probably will not adopt from a shelter/rescue again until/unless we were looking for an older dog.

Enjoy the puppy! Bernedoodles are high on the list of what we are considering.

trales
03-01-2020, 09:19 PM
We have the bells on the door for our Newf. I love hearing the bell over the bark. If she rings the bell once and no one comes in a few minutes, then she lets out a deep bark. No one like the bark, so everyone runs if she rings!

Larger breeds grow fast and can get joints hurt more easily while puppies, so be careful on stairs and running around. Play and have fun, but don't overdo it while the hips and knees are growing fast.

carolinamama
03-01-2020, 09:35 PM
So exciting! You've gotten great tips from everyone. I only have a few things - crates are great and a tired (mentally and physically) dog is a happy dog.

Enjoy your new family member!

Melaine
03-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Some will. Most (ime) wont. Get some bitter apple and spray the cords as a preventative. Its easier to never start the habit esp since it is such a dangerous one. Can you enlist a trusted friend/neighbor to have stuff shipped to their house? Or even your breeder? Then you can order supplies w/o ruining the surprise? (Dont forget amazon notifications though!)

I can get stuff delivered to DH's work! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks!

jawilli4
03-02-2020, 08:53 AM
IDK if you already figured out which puppy food to use, but make sure it is a large breed one as it is supposed to cut down on orthopedic issues later in life. Right now my puppy is doing well on Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food. Usually I'm a Kirkland brand dog food fan, but theirs is grain free. There may be a connection between heart disease and grain free dry dog food - with lentils if IIRC so we went with another option.

Also, Kongs are awesome as well as Nature's Miracle. And tons of paper towels.

FWIW, we have a German Shepherd Mix puppy and she can go through the night 9:45-5:30 without any accidents at 3.5 months.

Good luck! So happy for your entire family!