PDA

View Full Version : We should cancel, right? UGHHHHH!

newnana
03-10-2020, 04:43 PM
You amazing folks helped me plan the worlds best spring break as DDs Christmas present. NYC to see the show of her dreams. We're supposed to go this weekend and stay for the week site seeing. She has never been. Has wanted to go forever. This show is what takes it over the top. This trip is a SUPER big deal for us. We don't get out much.

I've been running probabilities in my head for days and flip-flopping like mad. What if the economy tanks and your $ is no good here? What if a travel ban is instated and we're stuck there (super bad, dh has life saving meds that he can't carry that much of, but his doctor cleared this trip, even in the current situation!), what if we get there and everything shuts down anyway and we can't go on all the cool stuff we want to? What if everything is fine and we have the best trip ever and we don't devastate DD by cancelling?

Talk me down. Talk some sense into me. Help me process, please!!!

KrisM
03-10-2020, 05:03 PM
Where are you coming from? I'd likely just go and do my plans as planned.

newnana
03-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Where are you coming from? I'd likely just go and do my plans as planned.

Mountain time zone. Sorry, can't be more specific.

Flights involved. If it was driving distance I wouldn't be as concerned

And thanks for playing! Currently the decision is all on me. If it were up to DH, we'd have cancelled every trip we've ever taken.

westwoodmom04
03-10-2020, 05:14 PM
I would go as long as no one in your family is high risk.

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Go!!!! My in-laws are in NYC this week too. You’re just as likely t get sick at your grocery store, kid sport event,... the world isn’t ending. Go. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Mountain time zone. Sorry, can't be more specific.

Flights involved. If it was driving distance I wouldn't be as concerned

And thanks for playing! Currently the decision is all on me. If it were up to DH, we'd have cancelled every trip we've ever taken.

I just travel with the kids most of the time. Ah just doesn’t love to travel so no point paying for him. Just a thought for the future. [emoji6]

marinkitty
03-10-2020, 05:36 PM
I would postpone the trip due to worry of getting stuck there. Now that the NY governor has locked down New Rochelle it doesn't seem that far fetched that NYC could also be locked down soon. We are actually supposed to go next weekend to see DD sing at Carnegie Hall. Her school hasn't cancelled the 100+ kid trip yet but I expect that decision in the next day or two. I cannot conceive of the school letting it go ahead with all the NYC universities closing and Westchester suburbs being supplied by army reserves. If they don't cancel I'm leaning toward pulling her and expect many parents will do the same.

newnana
03-10-2020, 05:38 PM
I just travel with the kids most of the time. Ah just doesn’t love to travel so no point paying for him. Just a thought for the future. [emoji6]

Yeah, this is normally what I do, but DD desperately wanted DH and when I booked last fall he was willing to go so I grudgingly agreed. But we didn't get him tickets to Broadway! Cuz my tolerance of telling him he has to do something is severely limited.

As DD put it, even if we get it, we're not high risk! Oh kiddo, I love your optimism. Just with all the colleges shutting down and concerts here being cancelled I'm worried we get there and can't do what's on our itinerary anyway, kwim?

Thank you all soooo much for weighing in, I very much appreciate it!

newnana
03-10-2020, 05:40 PM
Now that the NY governor has locked down New Rochelle it doesn't seem that far fetched that NYC could also be locked down soon.

Right, if there is a shut down, I'm hoping it happens in the next 24 hours so I'm not the bad guy and have time to make a cool plan B. I really really don't want to be.

petesgirl
03-10-2020, 05:41 PM
Oh gosh, I was going to say GO and have fun! Then I read Marinkitty's post....I hadn't heard that some areas of NY are already being shut down. The being stuck there indefinitely would make me nervous. I'm so sorry, I remember how excited you said she was on Christmas!

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2020, 05:43 PM
I was stuck in NYC in high school due to a blizzard. No better place to be stuck!

JamiMac
03-10-2020, 05:54 PM
I would go as long as no one is elderly or high risk. We are in Florida now on spring break and haven’t changed any travel plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
03-10-2020, 05:56 PM
I was stuck in NYC in high school due to a blizzard. No better place to be stuck!

But not fun to be stuck when everything public like museums etc is shut down as well.

OP, I still go. I live an hour away from the city, so my perspective is bit skewed. But if this is a once in a lifetime trip, which it sounds like it is, I still go. And as for being stuck, I would just rent a car to drive back home if flights have to be shut down.

A suburb town being shut down is fairly easy to do vs shutting down NYC as a whole, so it would have to be completely serious if the state want to close down NYC. Your trip is coming up pretty close, so the odds of that happening...so hard to judge. I would follow the developments closely within this week and see how it looks for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

westwoodmom04
03-10-2020, 06:07 PM
There is way more cases in New Rochelle than NYC itself. I agree with the monitor suggestion, but I don't think a shutdown of the city is imminent.

jgenie
03-10-2020, 06:25 PM

:yeahthat: DH travels for work but doesn’t travel as well with kids. We generally do two trips with him and the rest we do without him.

TwinFoxes
03-10-2020, 06:31 PM
I think I would go. I don't think they'll close NYC. I got an email from a venue here, and it basically said "we've installed hand sanitizers" so I think the attitude of "the show must go on" is alive and well! ETA: My one question is, is your DH considered high-risk? That would sway me to stay.

newnana
03-10-2020, 06:38 PM
But not fun to be stuck when everything public like museums etc is shut down as well.

OP, I still go. I live an hour away from the city, so my perspective is bit skewed. But if this is a once in a lifetime trip, which it sounds like it is, I still go. And as for being stuck, I would just rent a car to drive back home if flights have to be shut down.

A suburb town being shut down is fairly easy to do vs shutting down NYC as a whole, so it would have to be completely serious if the state want to close down NYC. Your trip is coming up pretty close, so the odds of that happening...so hard to judge. I would follow the developments closely within this week and see how it looks for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does it being a 28 hour drive skew your perspective at all? My family is good for about 5 hours in a car. I get almost zero time off, so we generally don't drive any distance.

The possibility of public stuff being shut down is what makes me twitch. DH is saying we should definitely not do the Intrepid like we were planning on just because of the required use of hand rails. eww.

Lots to think about. It's still early in the week. right?

newnana
03-10-2020, 06:39 PM
I think I would go. I don't think they'll close NYC. I got an email from a venue here, and it basically said "we've installed hand sanitizers" so I think the attitude of "the show must go on" is alive and well! ETA: My one question is, is your DH considered high-risk? That would sway me to stay.

Love that, that's where my heart is currently leading the thinking!

newnana
03-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Oh gosh, I was going to say GO and have fun! Then I read Marinkitty's post....I hadn't heard that some areas of NY are already being shut down. The being stuck there indefinitely would make me nervous. I'm so sorry, I remember how excited you said she was on Christmas!

Thanks. In theory I could reschedule for this summer when she's off school, right? Yeah, she was so excited she cried. I have most of her summer already planned, but could figure it out. She just hates the heat. It looks like tickets go through at least June.... hmmm.

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Does it being a 28 hour drive skew your perspective at all? My family is good for about 5 hours in a car. I get almost zero time off, so we generally don't drive any distance.

The possibility of public stuff being shut down is what makes me twitch. DH is saying we should definitely not do the Intrepid like we were planning on just because of the required use of hand rails. eww.

Lots to think about. It's still early in the week. right?

Throw on some winter gloves or something for railings (including subway).
You’ll make do on the drive (train, bus...) if you need to. Plenty of people make that type of drive; just ask for tips here. :)

newnana
03-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Throw on some winter gloves or something for railings (including subway).
You’ll make do on the drive (train, bus...) if you need to. Plenty of people make that type of drive; just ask for tips here. :)

thanks! I needed that

mmsmom
03-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I would absolutely go! I think chances of the city being shut down are very slim... and you would have notice so would likely be able to leave before happened. You will be able to enjoy the city with probably the least crowds ever! I was just thinking I wished I still lived there as it is probably the best time to get in hard to get into places.

DH and DS are flying to ski for a week on Friday and are looking forward to no crowds on the slopes.

The only thing I wouldn’t do right now is travel to Europe or Asia or go on a cruise.

vludmilla
03-10-2020, 08:39 PM
I live within the 1 mile "containment zone" that the state announced (not in New Rochelle but in a neighboring town). While we are all a bit hyped up and clearly very concerned, life is not that much different actually. Schools and large gathering places are closed but only in the 1 mile area. No businesses are closed in the 1 mile area. People will be able to come in and out of the area freely unless they are quarantined (the vast majority of us living in the 1 mile area are NOT under quarantine). So, I get that it sounds dramatic, and it is, it is not quite what you might imagine. People are still able to go to work, to the grocery store...
I'd be cautious about traveling here if I were you but given that it is such a special trip and not easily rescheduled, I'd consider it. You could watch the news to see if it gets much worse in the next few days.
Feel free to PM with any questions now or in the next few days.

California
03-10-2020, 08:40 PM
As you described it, I would go. Sounds like the Broadway show is still happening and that is the highlight of the trip.

We don't know yet if this is seasonal, like the flu (the flu has a protective coating that breaks down in heat and humidity, so it doesn't survive nearly as well in hotter seasons.) Not sure that this At least at this time of year you have a reason for gloves, and if you are like me, you'll be better about not touching your face if you have gloves on. If for some reason you can't fly out of NYC, see if they'll switch your flight out of a different town and drive there. No need to drive 25+ hours! But... most likely you'll be able to fly out as planned.

petesgirl
03-10-2020, 08:45 PM
If you can drive out, I would still go. I guess I was under the impression that a city shutdown would mean virtually no one going in or out by any means. Although I don't know how they could monitor that. I guess they are only nervous about people being in close quarters like on an airplane?

JustMe
03-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Tough decision. I also think its very unlikely NYC will shut down. I am from there, btw, and my sister still lives there. OTOH, this is unchartered territory (I know, not very helpful).

The getting on a plane part would scare me. Do you know how much of your trip could be refunded or applied to another trip?

smilequeen
03-10-2020, 09:58 PM
How about your DH stays home if he’s at risk and getting stuck there would be detrimental to him? I don’t know what I’d do. We were considering Disney for Easter and nixed it and I probably would not plan a NYC trip now but if it was already planned I’d be tempted to go ahead and go

JElaineB
03-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Personally I am cancelling a driving trip for the family next week to a large city about 5 hours away. Not much planning involved, though I am losing just over $150 from a non-refundable event. But it's not a once in a lifetime type trip, so the risk/benefit analysis tips towards staying home, we can always go another time in the future. I am supposed to be off work next week but the sh*t is about to hit the fan there as well (I work at a large state university), so I'd rather not be too far away because of that as well. The main concern for me regarding your trip is your DH's health issue which requires life-saving meds. That would really give me pause with the current situation.

Philly Mom
03-10-2020, 10:42 PM
So if you asked me a couple hours ago, I would have said you should go. However, my brother lives in WA. I just spoke to him. He said the difference between last week and this week is significant in WA. I just don't know what the future might bring. With the lack of knowledge and testing, I am just not sure I would. I guess it depends if you encounter older or immuno compromised people on a daily basis. If you do, I would not go.

georgiegirl
03-10-2020, 10:47 PM
What if just you and DD go? Are you both healthy? Does your Dh’s health issues put him at a higher risk?

I’d lean towards going just the two of you. Better this weekend than in one week. Since it’s an extra special event, I wouldn’t jump to cancellation. I’d be tempted to go but understand places might be closed. I’d do indoor things first just in case places close. Then walk around Central Park at the end of the week.

We cancelled our spring break trip next week, but we weren’t planning on going somewhere that exciting. And my boys put their fingers in their mouths constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newnana
03-10-2020, 11:09 PM
Thank you all soooo much for the perspectives. I really am taking them all to heart. DD is at rehearsal for her school play now so sneaking online to catch up while she isn't reading over my shoulder!

I don't think we'd get the $ back from the Broadway show (DD+me+ 2 dear friends going with us). I have the paper tickets here, but the website says I have the option to sell. I'm not really worried about the money.

Half of me thinks much easier access to stuff that is normally booked, show must go on, it's New York, it will be great. The other half of me thinks, uhhh, can't get stuck there. If we go all the way there and can't do any of what we want and the nation descends into chaos because the inmates are running the asylum and there isn't even toilet paper to be had on Amazon, why would I go to an island thousands of miles from home? I'll be checking the news the whole time I'm there anyway and DH will be more anxiety ridden than usual.

Looks like the musical is at least running through summer. If anything is better by then? So much second-guessing. Hating this.

Continuing to read the news. Please keep the opinions coming! Thank you all!

mom2binsd
03-10-2020, 11:46 PM
Please go on your trip, be smart and enjoy!!!! Likely your flight will be less crowded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PZMommy
03-10-2020, 11:51 PM
For me, the plane ride is what would give me the biggest pause. Being in a small area, with who knows who, is a bit scary to me. Being outside and around the city wouldn’t bother me too much. Being inside in smaller places I’m 50/50 on.

Globetrotter
03-11-2020, 12:15 AM
We have friends and family in the NYC area, and they are concerned about the outbreak in New Rochelle. That one could very well spread to the city, if it hasn’t already. Would you enjoy your vacation under those circumstances?
Also, schools are starting to put kids in quarantine If they travel to A hot zone over spring break. Would NYC be included? Are you ok with that possibility? Anyway, more food for thought.

KpbS
03-11-2020, 12:17 AM
I think you should go if it is this weekend. Have a great trip! Don't worry and wash your hands. I think if it were in a week or two, I would not go because travel will be more iffy then with more restrictions and cancellations.

Make sure you have enough medications and a little extra cash.
Go for it and don't worry!

nfceagles
03-11-2020, 06:16 AM
I think most people are exaggerating the lock down scenarios. Even Italy’s lock down isn’t that crazy. They are letting tourists out, bars and restaurants are allowed open between 6am and 6pm as long as people aren’t packed too tightly, grocery stores are open, people can go to work but businesses are encouraged to let people off or to work from home.

I think your biggest risk is the Broadway show closing. Large gatherings are being shuttered to slow the spread. There is no stopping or containing the virus anymore. But reducing the number of people you come in contact with each day can hopefully slow it to a rate that the health care system can keep up with.

I live in London and picked my brother’s family up from the airport this morning for a visit. It was an agonizing decision. Ask me in a week if it was the right one.

I would probably go on your trip given how special it is. Leave DH home if needed.

The other big thing that would factor into by decision is how bad a 2 week self-quarantine upon return would be for you. A nuisance or devastating? That’s far more likely than being stuck in a NYC lockdown. But we’re very close to this being everywhere so less sense in quarantining people just because they’ve been somewhere.

For the record, we aren’t traveling over April break or making plans for this summer yet even though we’d love to while we live her in Europe temporarily, so I’m all for canceling travel. But I’m open to once in a lifetime trips that aren’t easy to reschedule.

jawilli4
03-11-2020, 07:29 AM
I live within 30 miles of the city and would go this weekend. I agree with a PP that my opinion might change later in the Spring.

As for Broadway, I heard a part of a WNYC segment saying that the show must go on because so many people's lives depend on the income. I also heard they are discounting a lot of tickets to draw people in.

Broadway.com put out a statement about Covid 19 on Monday:

Last updated: March 9, 2020; Broadway shows are going on as scheduled. The Broadway League has issued a statement telling audience members that Broadway remains open.

“The safety and security of our theatergoers and employees is our highest priority,” the statement says. “We are following the lead of our city, state and federal elected officials as we implement strategies recommended by public health authorities and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in all of our theaters and offices as all productions continue to play as scheduled.”
Broadway theaters have taken measures to ensure the health of audiences and performers, including increased frequencies in cleaning and disinfecting of the public and backstage areas. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer dispensers are also available in the lobby of every theater.
Broadway.com customers are encouraged to contact us (https://www.broadway.com/contact-us/) if they have any questions.

I heard another WNYC segment very much encouraging people to go to China Town. At least the local NPR station thinks it will be fine to travel to NYC. There was no discussion of closing down the city and I listen a lot throughout the day.

Good luck no matter what your decision!

pinkmomagain
03-11-2020, 07:37 AM
I would go. I have tickets to a show in NYC this weekend (I live in a suburb outside of NYC) and I am planning to go. Bring hand sanitizer (none to be found around here).

kdeunc
03-11-2020, 10:00 AM
If it were me and I did not have high risk family members I would go. Take wipes and wipe your seat area on the plane. I think the chances of you not being able to get out of NYC by air would be extremely slim. I think the term "lock-down" brings to mind something other than what it seems to be in New Rochelle. From what I heard on TV this morning from the Gov. the big piece is just prohibiting large events in that 1 mile containment area. My DD has a chorus competition/field trip in an amusement park in a neighboring state in 3 weeks. We are waiting to see if the school system steps in and stops field trips (a couple other systems in my state did yesterday) but if they don't our plan is to go unless things have changed dramatically in our area.

Philly Mom
03-11-2020, 10:40 AM
If you knew me IRL, I would be the steady, calmest person around for things. So I say this with that in mind...They should cancel Broadway shows. I have multiple friends who are ER doctors. They have drastically curbed their behavior and they want others to as well. Our hospital systems are about to be overrun. Gatherings of large groups is a place where things can spread. Flatten the curve. So I get the desire to go and you personally will probably be fine. The younger you are and the better health means it will impact you less. But you will impact others and not even realize it and that has an end run to hospitals. Flattening the curve is what we should all be thinking about.

newnana
03-11-2020, 12:51 PM
DH and I can both work remotely at home 100% if needed, so a quarantine for us is no big deal. DD missing her play she's performing in in a couple weeks would be a big deal for her, but she would say it was worth it, especially as she doesn't have a leading role. Schoolwork is another issue, but entirely possible school shuts down anyway, no way to predict that and again, she'd say it's worth it. She can email her teachers for the work and is responsible enough to do it and take care of herself while DH and I working, old enough to not need supervision/entertainment during the day.

I'm the steady/calm one. Nobody else in our travel group is. Makes me want to tell them all to stay home and DD and I will go alone, but then it's still not the same trip. Plus, DH some dumb notion that DD and i in NYC alone is a super bad idea. I couldn't be more insulted, I've traveled the world alone and been everywhere, do not demean me. So now I'm just getting mad.

Thank you all for your continued updates and thoughts. I have plenty of wipes and hand sanitizer to take with us. So far still planning on going. Picking up a couple extra shows while we're there if DD and I can. Still watching the news and hearing everyone but DD say we should skip and the world will be in chaos by summer, so don't reschedule (uh, calm down, you are being part of the problem!) You guys are keeping me sane. Thanks for all the outside perspective!

SnuggleBuggles
03-11-2020, 12:54 PM
I've taken my kids to NYC a number of times solo. I do think dh worries a bit...which is just silly. Pretty sure I have more street smarts than him. ;)

I've still got your back on going. I am trying to decide where I should travel to now for the cheap deals!

newnana
03-11-2020, 01:07 PM
I've taken my kids to NYC a number of times solo. I do think dh worries a bit...which is just silly. Pretty sure I have more street smarts than him. ;)

I've still got your back on going. I am trying to decide where I should travel to now for the cheap deals!

thanks. Go with us! It will be fun!

TwinFoxes
03-11-2020, 02:28 PM
DH and I can both work remotely at home 100% if needed, so a quarantine for us is no big deal. DD missing her play she's performing in in a couple weeks would be a big deal for her, but she would say it was worth it, especially as she doesn't have a leading role. Schoolwork is another issue, but entirely possible school shuts down anyway, no way to predict that and again, she'd say it's worth it. She can email her teachers for the work and is responsible enough to do it and take care of herself while DH and I working, old enough to not need supervision/entertainment during the day.

I'm the steady/calm one. Nobody else in our travel group is. Makes me want to tell them all to stay home and DD and I will go alone, but then it's still not the same trip. Plus, DH some dumb notion that DD and i in NYC alone is a super bad idea. I couldn't be more insulted, I've traveled the world alone and been everywhere, do not demean me. So now I'm just getting mad.

Thank you all for your continued updates and thoughts. I have plenty of wipes and hand sanitizer to take with us. So far still planning on going. Picking up a couple extra shows while we're there if DD and I can. Still watching the news and hearing everyone but DD say we should skip and the world will be in chaos by summer, so don't reschedule (uh, calm down, you are being part of the problem!) You guys are keeping me sane. Thanks for all the outside perspective!

Everything you've said really makes me think the best choice in your situation is to go. I'd be annoyed too if my DH implied I couldn't handle myself in the city! I drove our girls on my own to NYC over Christmas break three years ago when DH couldn't get time off. We had tons of fun.

trentsmom
03-11-2020, 02:48 PM
I would go and leave DH behind. With just you and DD, it will be very easy to make quick decisions on what to do and where to go. Looks like nice weather for this weekend, so you can spend some time outdoors if you want.

lizzywednesday
03-11-2020, 02:54 PM

Um, Manhattan is a grid and couldn't be more simple to navigate.

[QUOTE}... Thank you all for your continued updates and thoughts. I have plenty of wipes and hand sanitizer to take with us. So far still planning on going. Picking up a couple extra shows while we're there if DD and I can. Still watching the news and hearing everyone but DD say we should skip and the world will be in chaos by summer, so don't reschedule (uh, calm down, you are being part of the problem!) You guys are keeping me sane. Thanks for all the outside perspective![/QUOTE]

The theatre community is taking its own precautions as well, including additional hand sanitizer in theatres (etc.)

"How to Protect Yourself from Coronavirus at the Theatre (https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/How-To-Protect-Yourself-From-Coronavirus-At-The-Theatre-20200306)" (BroadwayWorld.com)

While New Rochelle has been shut down, I'm not as confident that they're going to shut the City down.

It took severe flooding downtown during Sandy for them to do that, and that was mostly because the storm surge was so dangerous.

Declaring a state of emergency is less that the governors of the states who have done so think the situation is out of control and more that they will be more able to mobilize their response teams (and will qualify for Federal assistance should it come to that) if they operate under an emergency declaration.

Continue to take sensible precautions and operate using the most current information from the NY State Dep't of Health (https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/) and the CDC.

Globetrotter
03-11-2020, 04:54 PM
If You are calm about it and Willing to risk being quarantined, maybe you and your DD can go. I wouldn’t take dh on an optional trip Since he’s high risk, Especially since he has life-saving medicines and he can’t take weeks of meds with him. Maybe DH is projecting his anxiety about the situation and giving your safety in Nyc as an excuse so you don’t go.

The situation is changing rapidly so we just don’t know how things will look next week.

Globetrotter
03-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Under normal circumstances, I would be totally comfortable going to NYC with kids. I’ve done that, in fact.

ezcc
03-11-2020, 06:45 PM
I just saw a news report that a broadway usher tested positive today... I think there is a good chance all broadway shows will shut down, not sure if it will be this weekend or not but I think it is probably inevitable. Personally, I think I would probably not go. Things are shutting down left and right, I read the report of the guy in Rhode Island, he is only 48 and was very, very sick. Looks like he will recover but only because he had access to hospital care, assisted breathing etc. I just don't think I could enjoy myself and would be constantly vigilant about everything. I am a worrier though :).

NCGrandma
03-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Things are shutting down left and right, I read the report of the guy in Rhode Island, he is only 48 and was very, very sick. Looks like he will recover but only because he had access to hospital care, assisted breathing etc. I just don't think I could enjoy myself and would be constantly vigilant about everything. I am a worrier though :).

As you may have seen ... the guy in Rhode Island is vice principal of a Catholic school there, and he was exposed while chaperoning a school field trip to Italy, France and Spain (right before these countries were seeing much virus activity). He is still in intensive care but improving. At least 2 others on the trip have also tested positive for COVID19—a student and another adult (maybe a teacher?). The school has closed for two weeks and hopes to reopen next week.

I’m a worrier, too, and I always get a bit nervous when either of my DGDs is on a field trip, and those haven’t been long or overseas, so I’ve been thinking a lot about all the folks at that Catholic school.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

doberbrat
03-11-2020, 07:13 PM
I think I'd skip it. Normally I'd say go for it. I think I'd reschedule though. I wouldnt want to risk being quarantined in NYC. Yes, slim possibility but still. Nor do I want to be the person who goes, then ends up inadvertently bringing it back to my community because an usher at the theater got it and didnt call in sick b/c he cant afford to not be paid. Or someone on the train or uber going to work....

Given that so few people in the city drive personal cars, I think its going to spread VERY VERY quickly in NYC -

AngB
03-11-2020, 09:31 PM
I just saw a news report that a broadway usher tested positive today... I think there is a good chance all broadway shows will shut down, not sure if it will be this weekend or not but I think it is probably inevitable. Personally, I think I would probably not go. Things are shutting down left and right, I read the report of the guy in Rhode Island, he is only 48 and was very, very sick. Looks like he will recover but only because he had access to hospital care, assisted breathing etc. I just don't think I could enjoy myself and would be constantly vigilant about everything. I am a worrier though :).

Right...in another month people like this may be dying if/when the hospitals are full.

California
03-12-2020, 12:33 AM
Changing my opinion on this... I'd cancel if you can without losing a lot of money. A relative of mine is a doctor at a major university and he's gone from kind of casual about this to extremely serious. He's telling us to expect a very rough six months. My own DH works at a major university that just switched to online learning for the spring quarter. He's on strategic planning teams for the whole campus and they usually move very slowly on major changes. So to see how rapidly this has been approved is changing up our own personal response.

AngB
03-12-2020, 12:54 AM
Changing my opinion on this... I'd cancel if you can without losing a lot of money. A relative of mine is a doctor at a major university and he's gone from kind of casual about this to extremely serious. He's telling us to expect a very rough six months. My own DH works at a major university that just switched to online learning for the spring quarter. He's on strategic planning teams for the whole campus and they usually move very slowly on major changes. So to see how rapidly this has been approved is changing up our own personal response.

Agreed. I went from thinking yes sure go to...eh.....no. If you can change easily enough, I would.

I like this article on how social distancing can work: https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

PZMommy
03-12-2020, 01:03 AM
After the news today, I'm also in the firmly cancel group. It sucks, but better safe than sorry.

newnana
03-12-2020, 01:16 AM
AND the usher worked part time for six, the show we were planning on seeing. Dd is having the most colossal meltdown I have ever seen. I can't blame her.

So, reschedule for when? No predicting what happens. Tickets available until at least school starts.

All plan B's suck. Dh suggested we could try to cook some fun new foods. Since cooking and meal planning are easily my least favorite thing next to the dentist that I'm terrified of, I'll pass.

Globetrotter
03-12-2020, 01:20 AM
I Too was going to say cancel. A doctor friend is suddenly getting concerned today and has been talking about the Italian response and importance of social distancing. The word is getting out now in the medical community.

also, I’m finding things are getting cancelled left and right.

KpbS
03-12-2020, 01:21 AM
Awwwwww, that does totally stink.

Can you invite a group of girls over for a fun Friday night? Not the same as trip, but would cushion the blow of not going this weekend. I think planning some cooking projects (or at least baking cupcakes ;) ) could be fun also. (((hugs)))

What about going in July?

Globetrotter
03-12-2020, 01:22 AM
AND the usher worked part time for six, the show we were planning on seeing. Dd is having the most colossal meltdown I have ever seen. I can't blame her.

So, reschedule for when? No predicting what happens. Tickets available until at least school starts.

All plan B's suck. Dh suggested we could try to cook some fun new foods. Since cooking and meal planning are easily my least favorite thing next to the dentist that I'm terrified of, I'll pass.

DS is very disappointed about some cancelled events. I know it stinks :(
I don’t think you can plan yet for another showing.

California
03-12-2020, 01:37 AM
I hear you. My DS is very disappointed over his multiple-college-visits spring break. He's been looking forward to it for months. Every college we planned to visit is sending students home, and almost all of them are canceling campus tours. I'm wondering what's going to happen for the seniors. Hoping this is cleared up enough that the schools feel okay holding graduation ceremonies for their hardworking students.

newnana
03-12-2020, 01:43 AM
DS is very disappointed about some cancelled events. I know it stinks :(
I don’t think you can plan yet for another showing.
I wouldn't plan on rescheduling except that it looks like I can without losing much money on the tickets if I do it Thursday. That's almost 1k, which would be nice. Better than flushing it down the toilet.

Thanks for all the quick commiserating. I can't ever remember seeing dd this upset. I hear her, we all desperately needed it and I have to burn the vacation time at this point. Going to let her stew tonight, hopefully it's cathartic.

So far all her friends are going on their previously scheduled trips, so she's feeling even worse about my decision.

Globetrotter
03-12-2020, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't plan on rescheduling except that it looks like I can without losing much money on the tickets if I do it Thursday. That's almost 1k, which would be nice. Better than flushing it down the toilet.

Thanks for all the quick commiserating. I can't ever remember seeing dd this upset. I hear her, we all desperately needed it and I have to burn the vacation time at this point. Going to let her stew tonight, hopefully it's cathartic.

So far all her friends are going on their previously scheduled trips, so she's feeling even worse about my decision.

that’s a lot of money! Can you reschedule for the last week it’s showing? That way you have a higher chance of seeing it.
I’m surprised people are traveling.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2020, 04:56 AM

Probably not. Just like they don’t “all” have the latest phone. :) Even if it’s true, you’re making the best decision for your family.

gamma
03-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Mayor DeBlasio will be making an announcement regarding Broadway this morning . I just heard this on NY 1010 WINS radio.

AngB
03-12-2020, 11:17 AM
I hear you. My DS is very disappointed over his multiple-college-visits spring break. He's been looking forward to it for months. Every college we planned to visit is sending students home, and almost all of them are canceling campus tours. I'm wondering what's going to happen for the seniors. Hoping this is cleared up enough that the schools feel okay holding graduation ceremonies for their hardworking students.

I think there's no way unless there's a drastic change by May (which who knows with how fast things are changing- it's possible.) Currently no though. I mean it would entirely defeat the purpose of cancelling in-person classes.

newnana
03-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Probably not. Just like they don’t “all” have the latest phone. :) Even if it’s true, you’re making the best decision for your family.

Yeah, I know it's the right call for us. She also has a very small group of friends that we are family friends with all of. She's right, they are ALL still going on their respective trips, including the other family planning to go to NYC to a Broadway show. But that doesn't make going the right decision. I expect news to only get worse. Some of the family's are going to cabins in the woods or on a road trip in a camper, so still isolated and can drive home or stay, nbd. If you ask those teens, they've been saying for month's they'd rather not go on the family road trip anyway, so everything is relative.

We're going to give her until after school today to grieve and then tell her to suck it up and start being nice, because all of us are in the same boat (except I did all the planning), I didn't create the coronavirus, I'm just the bearer of bad news.

petesgirl
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
I think there's no way unless there's a drastic change by May (which who knows with how fast things are changing- it's possible.) Currently no though. I mean it would entirely defeat the purpose of cancelling in-person classes.

BYU has already cancelled their in person commencement for spring graduation. :/

georgiegirl
03-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Met museum’s 3 locations are now closed. I’m guessing all the fun tourist stuff will be closed as well.

newnana
03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Met museum’s 3 locations are now closed. I’m guessing all the fun tourist stuff will be closed as well.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that. This kind of info will help take the sting out for DD. Thank you guys! Now to start getting refunds and plan something fun. HMMMM. I had already done all the heavy lifting for spring break and work is INSANE right now, so this is going to be nuts. I appreciate you all!

cuca_
03-12-2020, 02:42 PM
I just got a notification That New York has prohibited all gatherings of 500 people or more, and that it includes Broadway shows. That just came through in my New York Times notifications.

pinkmomagain
03-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Yes Broadway shows are closed as of 5pm tonight I believe.

newnana
03-12-2020, 03:13 PM
I just got a notification That New York has prohibited all gatherings of 500 people or more, and that it includes Broadway shows. That just came through in my New York Times notifications.

That news will make this bitter pill so much easier for her to swallow and not all mom's fault. THANK YOU!!

nfceagles
03-12-2020, 03:18 PM
I just put two and two together and realized you are the one I sent the Anne Boylen ornament to for Christmas to go with tickets. I’m so sorry she’s so disappointed! Is there anything I could send again as a consolation? I am supposed to go to Hampton Court this weekend and I’m sure they have plenty of stuff. Or I could see if I can get anything at the theater, like a T-shirt or something.

newnana
03-12-2020, 03:35 PM
I just put two and two together and realized you are the one I sent the Anne Boylen ornament to for Christmas to go with tickets. I’m so sorry she’s so disappointed! Is there anything I could send again as a consolation? I am supposed to go to Hampton Court this weekend and I’m sure they have plenty of stuff. Or I could see if I can get anything at the theater, like a T-shirt or something.

oh my goodness, how sweet! Yes, that's me ;) Thank you for the offer, my mom senses are skewed right now. I think a reminder of what she's missing would be bad right now? No CLUE! under normal circumstances she would be overjoyed by something from there. Thank you sooooo much.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Yes Broadway shows are closed as of 5pm tonight I believe.

Yes; it's on Playbill here:

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-will-go-dark-amid-coronavirus-concerns

nfceagles
03-12-2020, 04:16 PM
oh my goodness, how sweet! Yes, that's me ;) Thank you for the offer, my mom senses are skewed right now. I think a reminder of what she's missing would be bad right now? No CLUE! under normal circumstances she would be overjoyed by something from there. Thank you sooooo much.

Yeah, I get how that could be the case. Good luck rescheduling for summer.

kdeunc
03-13-2020, 10:09 AM
I hope that you are able to have a good break without NYC! It is amazing the difference a few days can make. Earlier in the thread I was a vote for go and now I would feel completely different about a trip for myself. I am glad that the show was cancelled. That does help mom not be the bad guy. We have tickets on Sunday for a touring show and as of now it is still on, despite the Governor strongly suggesting no events over 100 people. This is DS2's Christmas present. I hate to lose $500, but I also hate to think about exposing my family. We are strongly leaning toward not going.

newnana
03-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Before I had a chance to call or request a reimbursement on the tickets, ticketmaster emailed a form letter stating records indicated that our show had been impacted and a refund would be posted to my account for the cancelled show, no further action was needed on my part. By far that's been the easiest thing to get reimbursed. The hotel stated I was outside the cancellation window on their automated form and phone line, but they had an online form to submit a request to correct, fingers crossed, because that was the most expensive part of the trip. Other places I've emailed and a couple have said they'd reimbursed, some I haven't heard back from.

DD is much better now seeing everything shutting down like mad - here, there, everywhere. She's back to her normal peppy self. Her own play rehearsal has been suspended until mid April. While she was super bummed about that, I know she could use the rest. Between her AP classes and the play and some other extra curriculars she's been wearing herself out and a few days of extra sleep and vegging and being in nature around here will be a much needed respite. The rest of what we're planning I have no idea.

I was hoping to get an isolated cabin in the mountains with wifi. I had to run to the grocery store last night because we're out of fresh stuff since we weren't planning on being here. The grocery store was INSANE. No beef. 2 packages of frozen chicken breasts left. Very picked over cheese and egg selection. Only red potatoes left? Stores are being wiped bare. DH is worried about looters now, so don't think I can convince him to leave the house.