PDA

View Full Version : S/O What do you want to buy/find because of COVID-19?

TwinFoxes
03-11-2020, 10:28 PM
Hand sanitizer is impossible to find. Luckily my DH bought a huge bottle right before people started stocking up. But I can't help but wish we had more. I have a medium-size container in my car, (I always have one there) with 2/3 left. Whenever my kids get in the car, I give it to them. I make them wash their hands when they get home, but between school/practice and home they will stick their hands into their mouths one MILLION times.

I am not in need of Girl Scout cookies. One advantage of being cookie mom, we're set for those. :)

ang79
03-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Hand sanitizer is impossible to find. Luckily my DH bought a huge bottle right before people started stocking up. But I can't help but wish we had more. I have a medium-size container in my car, (I always have one there) with 2/3 left. Whenever my kids get in the car, I give it to them. I make them wash their hands when they get home, but between school/practice and home they will stick their hands into their mouths one MILLION times.

I am not in need of Girl Scout cookies. One advantage of being cookie mom, we're set for those. :)

I have slowly started stocking up on essentials (canned/boxed/frozen food, hand soap, cleaning supplies, TP and tissues, cat litter and food, toothpaste, meds, etc.). Hand sanitizer is hard to find around here and I'm in PA where we haven't been hit hard yet. I do have some travel size ones and a large bottle in the car (I do the same thing as you with my kids and myself now, each time we get in the car after being at school, a store, church, etc.) I am also a GS leader/cookie mom and currently have 700+ boxes of cookies sitting in my house, so if we eat through everything else we still have cookies!

Snow mom
03-11-2020, 10:50 PM
I really hate hand sanitizer and haven’t bought any, but now I’m regretting that. I’ll look when I’m in town tomorrow/Friday. Otherwise I’ve made a grocery list which I rarely do to make sure I’m not forgetting essentials. I’m going to pick up more duck food because I count on them providing me fresh eggs if I stop going to the store. Just gathering the last stuff I forgot I guess.

georgiegirl
03-11-2020, 11:09 PM
Sanitizer is impossible to find here. I was trying to give some to Ds2’s kindy teacher since she requested it. We actually have a Costco sized sanitizer that is 3/4 full, so we are good for our family. It was a gift from one of Dh’s patient’s a couple of years ago because he knew what a huge germaphobe DH is. He actually gave us two Costco sized sanitizers, but we only have one left now.

I need to buy alcohol prep pads tomorrow, and I hope they aren’t sold out. DS1 gets daily growth hormone shots and DD gets allergy shots (every other day administered at home), so we actually need them for medical purposes.

I have a few more things on my list (aluminum foil, frozen aça* packets, onions, and bananas) and then I really need to stop shopping. I have a mild cold (just minor congestion and a tiny couch from post nasal drip irritation), and I don’t want to appear sick in public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kestrel
03-11-2020, 11:28 PM
I think we're pretty well set, though I'd like to have more paper towels than I do. The school sent out requests for hand sanitizer - I don't think that's likely to happen! I did send in the extra wipes we had. The only thing I'm determined to get is distilled water for the humidifiers, all our local stores are out of any kind of bottled water. If anyone in our circle gets sick, I'm thinking humidifier might be useful.

NCGrandma
03-11-2020, 11:36 PM
Sanitizer is impossible to find here. I was trying to give some to Ds2’s kindy teacher since she requested it. We actually have a Costco sized sanitizer that is 3/4 full, so we are good for our family. It was a gift from one of Dh’s patient’s a couple of years ago because he knew what a huge germaphobe DH is. He actually gave us two Costco sized sanitizers, but we only have one left now.

I need to buy alcohol prep pads tomorrow, and I hope they aren’t sold out. DS1 gets daily growth hormone shots and DD gets allergy shots (every other day administered at home), so we actually need them for medical purposes.

I have a few more things on my list (aluminum foil, frozen aça* packets, onions, and bananas) and then I really need to stop shopping. I have a mild cold (just minor congestion and a tiny couch from post nasal drip irritation), and I don’t want to appear sick in public.

Good luck with finding alcohol prep pads. I was at CVS both yesterday and today (don’t ask...) and they had nothing—no alcohol prep pads, alcohol wipes, bottles of isopropyl alcohol, you name it. Obviously no hand sanitizer. I did see one lonely bottle of witch hazel on an otherwise empty shelf... CVS is getting daily deliveries but stuff disappears immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gatorsmom
03-11-2020, 11:39 PM
We have 3 HUGE half filled jugs of hand sanitizer cluttering up a countertop in my house (DH bought them for some fundraisers he lead). So I was thinking I had plenty and just didn't buy any more. I was actually looking forward to using up those big bottles. But now i'm thinking that I should give a big bottle to my elderly relatives, donate one (or 10) to the kids' school, and have another one just because. That isn't happening anymore. I'm sure we will be fine, I will just have to make sure the kids wash their hands as soon as they come in the door with soap and water.

PZMommy
03-11-2020, 11:52 PM
I've been stocking up for awhile. Living in Los Angeles, I figured we'd be one of the first areas hit.

essnce629
03-12-2020, 05:24 AM
I don't really feel like we need anything. Maybe some paper towels? But we use microfiber towels for pretty much all of our cleaning so being out of paper towels wouldn't be that big of a deal. I found 2 travel size bottles of hand sanitizer in my closet so put 1 in my purse to use after getting gas, etc. I'm pretty sure I have a large one in my earthquake kit. I pulled out my canned goods and shelf stable foods from my earthquake kit and want to use up the stuff that is just past expiration (canned foods that I feel are perfectly fine still) so I can restock it. I was at Trader Joe's today and it was a madhouse with lots of low stock in the freezer and canned good section so I figured I'd skip it and come back another time since my cart was already full of regular food.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

bisous
03-12-2020, 10:05 AM
I have plenty of food and water. Any toilet paper, lol. An older friend needed some so I rushed To Costco and braved the crowds for her—but they didn’t have her preferred brand so she declined. And I kept it because why not? Then she found some of her preferred brand and bought ME a package so I’m swimming in TP. Maybe it will be like currency soon?

I have only a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer and no paper towels. It’s not my usual style at all (we’re normally all about hand washing and reusable hand towels) but for convenience it would sure be nice to have those things about now!!

Globetrotter
03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I can’t Find Hand sanitizer or isopropyl alcohol, and I’ve looked in maybe six or seven places. Yesterday I went through some of our cabinets that are full of crap And was excited to find a small travel hand sanitizer. So now we have three of those.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2020, 10:25 AM

:hysterical:

Same. (Our Council's sale ends Sunday and I need to unload 2 cases of the ABC Bakers' version of the S'mores cookie, which didn't sell as well for us this year as the Lemonades, which we're pretty much out of.)

Liziz
03-12-2020, 10:25 AM
We have what we need. In normal conditions I usually stock waaaay up on TP because we have several spread-out bathrooms in our house and no one is good about warning me when the ones I don't use often are running low. So while I'm fine on TP, I don't have as much as I usually do, either. I normally would buy more right now, but I'm kind of resistant to going out and buying a ton right now....I think it's just creating a vicious cycle of panic buying and I don't want to contribute! (For the record, I totally think this is a pandemic that should be taken way seriously, and that young/healthy people like my family aren't really at risk directly but have a major responsibility to help slow the spread -- but I'm super annoyed at the panic buying happening everywhere. I support reasonable preparation, but people are going so extreme right now!)

georgiegirl
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM
I’m so excited that I found alcohol prep pads today. After going to several stores that didn’t have them, I went to the target pharmacy to get Dd’s syringes for her allergy shots and I asked if they had any. A box had just come in and they let me buy two boxes of 100. [emoji3060]

NCGrandma
03-12-2020, 01:36 PM
I’m so excited that I found alcohol prep pads today. After going to several stores that didn’t have them, I went to the target pharmacy to get Dd’s syringes for her allergy shots and I asked if they had any. A box had just come in and they let me buy two boxes of 100. [emoji3060]

Good news! Glad you found them. I haven’t asked my family whether they have stocked up on these, but i Hope they’re well stocked. I know they have ordered more of DGD2's injectable meds. Fortunately these come in prefilled pens instead of syringes, and the specialty pharmacy also provides the needles they need. (Maybe it can offer the alcohol prep pads, too.)

georgiegirl
03-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Good news! Glad you found them. I haven’t asked my family whether they have stocked up on these, but i Hope they’re well stocked. I know they have ordered more of DGD2's injectable meds. Fortunately these come in prefilled pens instead of syringes, and the specialty pharmacy also provides the needles they need. (Maybe it can offer the alcohol prep pads, too.)

When I was at the pharmacy asking, a woman next to me said that her son’s specialty pharmacy always sends prep pads. Mine doesn’t, but they do send pen needles when I need them. I just got a delivery of my son’s specialty meds on Tuesday (it’s only a 24 day supply because it’s pre-filled cartridges for a pen.). DS1 has an appointment with his psychiatrist on Tuesday, and I know we will get a 90 supply. After that’s filled, I will feel a bit better.

chlobo
03-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Good luck with finding alcohol prep pads. I was at CVS both yesterday and today (don’t ask...) and they had nothing—no alcohol prep pads, alcohol wipes, bottles of isopropyl alcohol, you name it. Obviously no hand sanitizer. I did see one lonely bottle of witch hazel on an otherwise empty shelf... CVS is getting daily deliveries but stuff disappears immediately.

Staples has alcohol prep pads. Not sure if they have in store but you can order online. No alcohol though.

jent
03-12-2020, 08:18 PM
When I was at the pharmacy asking, a woman next to me said that her son’s specialty pharmacy always sends prep pads. Mine doesn’t, but they do send pen needles when I need them. I just got a delivery of my son’s specialty meds on Tuesday (it’s only a 24 day supply because it’s pre-filled cartridges for a pen.). DS1 has an appointment with his psychiatrist on Tuesday, and I know we will get a 90 supply. After that’s filled, I will feel a bit better.

Ask your doctor's office to send a prescription to the specialty pharmacy for the alcohol prep pads.

essnce629
03-12-2020, 10:40 PM
I get boxes of alcohol prep pads for free whenever we want through CVS Specialty pharmacy for DS1's eczema biologic.

ellies mom
03-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Our thermometer died a couple of weeks ago. I just want a new thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom
03-12-2020, 11:29 PM
What is everyone using the alcohol pads for?

essnce629
03-13-2020, 02:15 AM

I think most of us talking about alcohol prep pads just use them when giving our kids certain injectable medications. DS1 gets an injectable biologic for his eczema every 2 weeks. I don't use them for anything else.

georgiegirl
03-13-2020, 07:56 AM

DS1 gets daily growth hormone injections and I’m supposed to use a prep pad to clean his arm and the pen before attaching the needle. DD gets allergy shots at home, and I need to clean her arm and the vials.

Dh wanted to use them to clean is phone but I said no, they are only for medical purposes.

Philly Mom
03-13-2020, 07:59 AM
DS1 gets daily growth hormone injections and I’m supposed to use a prep pad to clean his arm and the pen before attaching the needle. DD gets allergy shots at home, and I need to clean her arm and the vials.

Dh wanted to use them to clean is phone but I said no, they are only for medical purposes.

That is helpful. I take two injectables so have plenty but didn’t know if you used them for something else too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ang79
03-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Speaking of cleaning phones, what is the best way to clean them without causing harm to the phone, screen protector, and case? I'd like to clean all of our phones as well as keyboards of the chromebooks we use.

BDKmom
03-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Speaking of cleaning phones, what is the best way to clean them without causing harm to the phone, screen protector, and case? I'd like to clean all of our phones as well as keyboards of the chromebooks we use.

Apple has recently said that you can clean iPhones with disinfecting wipes. I would assume other phones would be the same.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123

lizzywednesday
03-13-2020, 01:41 PM

I use lens wipes on my actual phone, but Lysol/Clorox wipes on the case.

Apple has recently said that you can clean iPhones with disinfecting wipes. I would assume other phones would be the same.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123

Good to know.

Snow mom
03-13-2020, 02:48 PM
I didn’t realize it was something I wanted to find until this morning when I couldn’t but... tofu. Apparently the supply of tofu to our local supermarkets has been cut off. I just finally found what we’re probably the last two packages of extra firm tofu in my small town. Good until May 2 so into my pandemic preparedness they go!

lizzywednesday
03-13-2020, 02:58 PM
I forgot to add thermometer lens covers (Braun ThermoScan brand) to our pre-apocalypse shopping and they're now sold out everywhere. Oops.

It's not something I think about frequently as we rarely use it, preferring to use the "is DD acting sick?" gauge of whether or not to keep her home, but with this whole thing, the triage line for the pediatrician is probably going to ask for temperature. :banghead:

doberbrat
03-13-2020, 03:59 PM
alcohol. seriously. Its going to be a LONG 2 weeks!
:54: :bag:duck:

petesgirl
03-13-2020, 04:15 PM
alcohol. seriously. Its going to be a LONG 2 weeks!
:54: :bag:duck:

Yes, I don't drink but did stock up on my favorite (expensive) brand of clean dark chocolate today. My son's teacher gave him SO much work to do today and it's all computer based, we are both hating it so far.

elbenn
03-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Our thermometer died a couple of weeks ago. I just want a new thermometer.

I need a new thermometer, too. Anyone have any recommendations?

NCGrandma
03-13-2020, 10:49 PM
I need a new thermometer, too. Anyone have any recommendations?

I just had an interesting experience with thermometers. After discovering that both my digital stick thermometers were dead (and did not have replaceable batteries), I went to CVS. Not surprisingly, their stock was picked over but I got 2: a Vicks digital that I think is the model some folks here liked, and a basic but adequate CVS digital one. Both have replaceable batteries.

After I got home, I took my temp several times during the evening, with both thermometers. The CVS was extremely consistent, and about my usual temp (slightly lower than "normal"). The Vicks was all over the place — readings ranged from 94 to 108, and at least half the attempts produced an "out of range" error which meant that it thought my temp was below 93 or over 109.

The next day I returned the Vicks to CVS (fortunately they gave me a refund even though the packaging said to return defective products to Vicks rather than the retailer)!

So far I am pleased with the basic CVS model. The online reviews for almost all consumer thermometers are pretty dreadful, which probably means that quality control is lacking.

I’m glad I tried 2 different brands/models — fortunately 1 seems ok. And I realize that if someone else tries these same 2 models, their experience could be the opposite to mine.

Yeah, I realize this isn’t what you were asking for...

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 10:56 PM
I just had an interesting experience with thermometers. After discovering that both my digital stick thermometers were dead (and did not have replaceable batteries), I went to CVS. Not surprisingly, their stock was picked over but I got 2: a Vicks digital that I think is the model some folks here liked, and a basic but adequate CVS digital one. Both have replaceable batteries.

After I got home, I took my temp several times during the evening, with both thermometers. The CVS was extremely consistent, and about my usual temp (slightly lower than "normal"). The Vicks was all over the place — readings ranged from 94 to 108, and at least half the attempts produced an "out of range" error which meant that it thought my temp was below 93 or over 109.

The next day I returned the Vicks to CVS (fortunately they gave me a refund even though the packaging said to return defective products to Vicks rather than the retailer)!

So far I am pleased with the basic CVS model. The online reviews for almost all consumer thermometers are pretty dreadful, which probably means that quality control is lacking.

I’m glad I tried 2 different brands/models — fortunately 1 seems ok. And I realize that if someone else tries these same 2 models, their experience could be the opposite to mine.

The thing I hate about those Vicks thermometers is that it doesn't allow you enough time to get an accurate reading. You have to keep pressing the button to keep taking the temperature until it stops and stays at the same temp. That temp is the one I assume is accurate although I have to press the read button about 5 times for the temp to stop climbing and stay consistent. I've had a bunch of different thermometers over the years and that is the one I keep coming back to. I haven't been really impressed with any of them.

Globetrotter
03-13-2020, 11:04 PM
I found hand sanitizer in two places on instacart last night so I Tried it for the first time. I knew it had to be false but I stupidly orderded it anyway. I ordered other stuff too and not a single item was available!! I couldn’t get a refund on one order so had to contact instacart.
then just now someone dropped off someone else’s order at my house :)
instacart is a Mess right now because things are flying off the shelves!

ang79
03-13-2020, 11:15 PM
I use lens wipes on my actual phone, but Lysol/Clorox wipes on the case.

Good to know.

So another friend told me to use disinfecting wipes as well and the kids said they often wipe down their chromebooks (keyboards and everything, also the plug in mouse) with wipes at school, so we did a wipe down of all devices tonight.

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 11:20 PM
I just placed a pick-up order for our local grocery store (part of a local chain). It seemed to have everything and even offered pick up tomorrow morning. We are still in Colorado and don't arrive home until tomorrow evening so I won't be able to pick it up until Sunday morning. But i was encouraged that the early pick-up was available. I hope that means they will have everything on my list. I did try to order one bottle of bleach. We will see if they have it. I didn't try ordering any paper or cleaning products. My friend tried to order from another store in town yesterday she said the earliest pick up date they offered was Sunday, 4 days later.

Another friend said her family has 4-5 days worth of toilet paper. She checked our Co-op, Dollar Tree and Walmart and couldn't find any. Tomorrow she's going to check Office Depot since they sometimes have those supplies but if she can't find it, I'll give her some of ours.

essnce629
03-14-2020, 04:27 AM
Another friend said her family has 4-5 days worth of toilet paper. She checked our Co-op, Dollar Tree and Walmart and couldn't find any. Tomorrow she's going to check Office Depot since they sometimes have those supplies but if she can't find it, I'll give her some of ours.

Tell her to buy a few boxes of tissues and call it a day! All the stores I've been to are out of TP but still have plenty of tissues in stock! Time to think outside the box.

TwinFoxes
03-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Tell her to buy a few boxes of tissues and call it a day! All the stores I've been to are out of TP but still have plenty of tissues in stock! Time to think outside the box.

Tissues can clog delicate sewer systems. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Myira
03-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Another option is to install a bidet. You’d still need some toilet paper but much less.

Melaine
03-14-2020, 09:01 AM

Also our Costco still had industrial rolls in stock! I was surprised people didn’t seem to be getting them. They wouldn’t go on the regular dispenser roll but would at least flush just fine!

gatorsmom
03-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Tissues can clog delicate sewer systems. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

So true. She sent out a big text last night saying, “if anyone secures any extra toilet paper, we may want to do a community share. We have gone to 4 different stores and they are all out. We have enough for 4-5 days for our family of 5.” The community share idea made me chuckle. Not surprisingly NO ONE responded to the text but me. We are ALL afraid of running out of tp. Icky prospect.

carolinacool
03-14-2020, 01:26 PM
DH found Clorox wipes last week and plentiful toilet paper yesterday at a chain dollar-type store located in a low-income neighborhood. He passes it on his way to work. I haven't posted about it on any FB groups because I don't want to be the cause of dozens of middle-class/upper middle-class people running over there and clearing shelves. Most of the people that way have very limited shopping options as it is.

However, if you are having trouble find things, you (general you) might want to explore neighborhoods that you don't usually frequent.

elbenn
03-14-2020, 02:07 PM

I appreciate your reply. The reason I need a new one is that my old one is now very inconsistent and the one I replaced it with is also super inconsistent. Both are forehead/ear ones so I might just use an oral one, which I assume are the ones you are talking about.

Kestrel
03-14-2020, 02:12 PM
About the community share... you might suggest that they offer to swap for TP. My niece swapped a 150-count clorox wipes for a 12 mega roll pack of TP.

wencit
03-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Our thermometer died a couple of weeks ago. I just want a new thermometer. Try the baby section. Everywhere I went to, the adult thermometers were sold out, but I went to the baby section at Target, and mine still had several. In a pinch, I don't see why you can't use a baby thermometer on an adult. It's small, but serviceable. Mine can be used under the armpit, orally, or even rectally. :D

NCGrandma
03-14-2020, 03:25 PM
I appreciate your reply. The reason I need a new one is that my old one is now very inconsistent and the one I replaced it with is also super inconsistent. Both are forehead/ear ones so I might just use an oral one, which I assume are the ones you are talking about.

Yep, the ones I bought are the oral ones (although I was surprised to see on the packaging that they can be used rectally too because they have a flexible tip). The last time I had occasion to take anyone’s temp rectally, we were still using the glass ones that you had to shake down.

NCGrandma
03-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Try the baby section. Everywhere I went to, the adult thermometers were sold out, but I went to the baby section at Target, and mine still had several. In a pinch, I don't see why you can't use a baby thermometer on an adult. It's small, but serviceable. Mine can be used under the armpit, orally, or even rectally. :D

Good suggestion— in my CVS, the stock in the adult and baby sections was almost identical except for a couple baby-only models. It was less picked over because no one thought to look there.

gymnbomb
03-14-2020, 04:05 PM

Yes, use tissues but don’t flush them!

essnce629
03-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Am I the only one not afraid of running out of toilet paper? I usually buy 1 large pack at Target and it usually lasts us 2 months. How much do people really need? Maybe start using a little less? Also, plenty of people in the cloth diapering and mama cloth world have used cloth toilet paper before. Cut a few old t-shirts in squares and you're good to go. Other people use cloth wipes. Use them just for pee if it freaks you out and wash them in the wash just like people do with their cloth diapers and pads.

https://redandhoney.com/how-to-get-started-with-family-cloth-and-why-you-might-actually-love-it/

mom2binsd
03-14-2020, 04:14 PM
I guess I'm lucky, I bought a jumbo pack at Sam's about a month ago just as part of my normal shopping pre hysteria, I buy it every 6 months for 20.00 and it lasts the 3 of us about 6 months, and it's decent quality. So I'm good.

People should get a bidet, they are 40 on amazon, take 10 min to install and will eliminate a lot of TP use and is pretty nice too!

AnnieW625
03-14-2020, 04:38 PM
Am I the only one not afraid of running out of toilet paper? I usually buy 1 large pack at Target and it usually lasts us 2 months. How much do people really need? Maybe start using a little less? Also, plenty of people in the cloth diapering and mama cloth world have used cloth toilet paper before. Cut a few old t-shirts in squares and you're good to go. Other people use cloth wipes. Use them just for pee if it freaks you out and wash them in the wash just like people do with their cloth diapers and pads.

https://redandhoney.com/how-to-get-started-with-family-cloth-and-why-you-might-actually-love-it/

Yes to this in regards to TP. If I buy TP at Costco it lasts us a good 3 months, maybe 4 or 5 (but it isn’t something I actually keep track of how long it lasts) but both Dh and I haven’t worked from home on a regular basis so I honestly don’t know how much more to we will use in the next month with one of us being home with the girls. We had 18 rolls last weekend (I had last bought TP at Costco in December iirc) and I went ahead and bought another pack of 12 or 18 at Target just in case.

I have never used cloth for going to the bathroom (part of me thinks if I was home full time and then had more time to do laundry I would be okay with it in an emergency situation) but did use cloth diapers. We had space for cloth diapers and a pail with deodorizer in DD2’s room vs. having to keep a pail in the bathroom which we don’t have room for. I don’t use cloth pads either, but did recently buy period underwear for Dd1 and myself. I feel if we used cloth for all bathroom I would have to wash this daily in order to combat stink.

carolinacool
03-14-2020, 06:48 PM
We go through TP like crazy. DH always asks what DS and I do with it. And I ask him what he "doesn't" do. lol

We now have the equivalent of 20 mega rolls, which should last about four or five weeks.

essnce629
03-14-2020, 07:25 PM
People should get a bidet, they are 40 on amazon, take 10 min to install and will eliminate a lot of TP use and is pretty nice too!

Looks like they're already all sold out on Amazon!!! The toilets in Japan are amazing-- heated water with all different pressures and angled sprayers plus heated air dryer so zero toilet paper needed ever!

TwinFoxes
03-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one not afraid of running out of toilet paper? I usually buy 1 large pack at Target and it usually lasts us 2 months.

Says the person in a house full of males. :) Multiple women and girls use more TP than boys. I have a friend with four post-pubescent daughters. They go through a lot of TP.

essnce629
03-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Says the person in a house full of males. :) Multiple women and girls use more TP than boys. I have a friend with four post-pubescent daughters. They go through a lot of TP.Oh yes I know, although my mom has been here for the past 4 out of 5 weeks. During my years of cloth diapering I did switch to cloth toilet paper for myself since I was the only female. Only time I didn't use it was during my period. Kept an empty wipes box on the toilet tank for the dirty ones and just washed them every time I did laundry. No stink, no issues, nothing and softer than regular TP.

NCGrandma
03-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Looks like they're already all sold out on Amazon!!! The toilets in Japan are amazing-- heated water with all different pressures and angled sprayers plus heated air dryer so zero toilet paper needed ever!

Is it a sign of the times that bidets are sold out?!! We should start a new thread about unlikely shortages. (Maybe someone can explain to me why the grocery store had no salted butter but loads of unsalted?)

Kestrel
03-14-2020, 09:17 PM
Salted butter? It keeps longer at room temp, I understand. And - it could be simply that the store had backstock of one, but not the other.

doberbrat
03-14-2020, 09:21 PM
somehow, we are apparently out of napkins and only have 2 rolls of paper towels. I do have cloth napkins but now is not when I want to go back to cloth.

2 rolls of paper towels will last us quite a while .... unless I ramp up cleaning and start using them for napkins.

we go through a BOATLOAD of napkins and TP. In addition to somehow just plain using a ton, the dog loves to eat both.

belovedgandp
03-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Only specific stock up item was Diet Coke. If I'm stuck at home with my entire family, I will not have a caffeine withdrawal headache at the same time.

But I lead a well stocked life generally. We have the space and I truly cannot grasp emergency trips for about anything in my normal course of life.

Myira
03-14-2020, 10:31 PM
I just got back from Whole Foods and the produce aisle was sparse. I got russet potatoes but all other potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions were wiped out. There was barely a kale or two but majority of that aisle was empty, also the packaged salads were sparse. There were a ton of fruits though.
Okay so are we going to reach a point in the next few days where we can’t buy fresh produce anymore?
The mass stockpiling of toilet paper is insanity as it is! My sister just told me there was a hour long line at Costco. We may contract corona in the quest to stockpile for it.

essnce629
03-14-2020, 10:54 PM
The mass stockpiling of toilet paper is insanity as it is! My sister just told me there was a hour long line at Costco. We may contract corona in the quest to stockpile for it.

Yes, exactly! The Ralph's by my house apparently had a 3 HOUR line to checkout today!!! [emoji44] And they are closing down at 8pm in order to restock instead of their normal 2am close time!

carolinacool
03-14-2020, 11:10 PM
Yes, several grocery stores around here are closing at 9 instead of their usual times in order to have time to restock and to give their poor workers a break!