PDA

View Full Version : Would you send your kids to swim team practice or school?

diamond
03-12-2020, 11:31 AM
We are on spring break this week but I was wondering if I should send my kids to school if it opens next week...and swim practice. Swim team is going on as usual not sure if I want to send my kid to that, would you? Do we know anything about transmission of the virus in water?

StantonHyde
03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
We are going about our normal lives until told not to. And that includes DH working in the ER and me working at a hospital and the kids going to school. Wash hands, try not to touch your face.

ezcc
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
DD has been going to swim team, and all my kids have been going to school. I am expecting that both might get cancelled, but they will go until they do.

MSWR0319
03-12-2020, 11:59 AM
I"m ok with us living a normal life in our area for now. We're supposed to be doing to Disney in a week and a half and I'm ready to pull the plug on that one. Just not doing it yet in hopes that they'll offer some better options than they currently are for those cancelling.

marymoo86
03-12-2020, 12:10 PM
No - I wouldn't proactively pull my child out unless he/she had a serious health issue needing extra caution.

squimp
03-12-2020, 12:14 PM
Yes I would send my kid to practice and to school. My kid plays two sports right now and has many hours of practice each night.

Most pools have a ton of chlorine, I think it would kill most anything.

We are avoiding any games or events >200 people at this time to reduce the chances of being exposed and help "flatten the curve". All my work travel is cancelled for the next two months, and our personal travel (a lot!) is cancelled through June.

essnce629
03-12-2020, 12:28 PM
My kids have been going to school, although DS1's canceled today and tomorrow and he now has 2 weeks off for spring break and apparently LAUSD is closing all schools in the next day or so. DS1 is still going to his rock climbing and kendo practices, although his kendo group only had about 8 people last Fri (normally around 30) and I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled all practices tomorrow. I would actually think that keeping kids in school, where there's actually few adults compared to kids, would be better than kids being stuck at home and being dragged around to run errands with their parents, etc and actually having more contact than normal with adults and the elderly, especially if kids are asymptomatic carriers.

georgiegirl
03-12-2020, 01:06 PM
We are on a break from swim practice, but I would send my kids. They need the exercise. So long as schools are open, I’ll send them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catsnkid
03-12-2020, 01:41 PM
DS is going to swim lessons Saturday as scheduled. Lots of chlorine in the pool. I plan to send him to school unless it closes.

roobee
03-12-2020, 01:53 PM
I would probably be okay with sending my kids to swim practice prior to/during spring break, but not after? Travel is putting me on edge.

We just paid $750 to cancel our spring break cruise, but I can't say that other families are making the same choice. I am not okay paying a large fee and missing out on what should have been a fun trip, only to have other families continue with their travel plans and show back up at school to unnecessarily expose my kids/family to the virus I'm trying to avoid.

We live in a largish Midwest city and our kids attend one of the biggest school districts in the state. Last night around 8:30 I sent an email to the Superintendent and the principals at the elementary and HS where my kids attend to let them know that I won't be sending my kids back to school for two weeks after spring break, so they'll be out from around March 20 to April 13. Five minutes after I hit send I got a call from the Superintendent thanking me for sharing my concerns and letting me know that he plans to share my email with other decision makers as they work to determine next steps for the district. That was seriously so nice of him to call me back, he really made me feel validated.

Honestly, at this point I don't know if our district will stay open through next week anyway.

AngB
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM
I would probably be okay with sending my kids to swim practice prior to/during spring break, but not after? Travel is putting me on edge.

We just paid $750 to cancel our spring break cruise, but I can't say that other families are making the same choice. I am not okay paying a large fee and missing out on what should have been a fun trip, only to have other families continue with their travel plans and show back up at school to unnecessarily expose my kids/family to the virus I'm trying to avoid.

We live in a largish Midwest city and our kids attend one of the biggest school districts in the state. Last night around 8:30 I sent an email to the Superintendent and the principals at the elementary and HS where my kids attend to let them know that I won't be sending my kids back to school for two weeks after spring break, so they'll be out from around March 20 to April 13. Five minutes after I hit send I got a call from the Superintendent thanking me for sharing my concerns and letting me know that he plans to share my email with other decision makers as they work to determine next steps for the district. That was seriously so nice of him to call me back, he really made me feel validated.

Honestly, at this point I don't know if our district will stay open through next week anyway.

Wow that's awesome.
I am very concerned about spring break and sending my kids back after (to be exposed to everyone's travels.) One of my coworkers is going to Disney with her son and their school band next week...and then presumably going back to school when spring break is over the following week. I can't really believe the school district hasn't cancelled it. My kids don't have spring break for another week or so but once they go I'm not sure I'll send the back at least right away. Too many people reposting stuff about how this virus is just like the flu and don't worry for me to be comfortable in our area that they are taking this seriously.

Philly Mom
03-12-2020, 02:31 PM
If you had asked me three days ago, I think I may have had a different answer. The cases in my county have grown exponentially and the governor just shut down schools in the county for the next two weeks. He also asked that we not travel outside the county. I think kids need physical activity and group activities. However, the more we can do now to slow the spread, the better.

carolinacool
03-12-2020, 02:38 PM
DS still has AAU practice tonight. I'm betting that his daylong tournament this weekend is canceled. Or maybe not -- AAU basketball is a different animal around here. I do know that the big area club soccer organization has suspended practice and play for the next two and half weeks.

KpbS
03-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Our swim school is currently OPEN, but our governor is advising all schools in affected counties close for 2-3 weeks so I think everything is cancelling. Our swim school has advised parents that the virus cannot be transmitted in properly chlorinated waters. But people are worried and cancelling all sorts of events and activities.

MSWR0319
03-12-2020, 03:21 PM
I just got an email that DS's coach cancelled soccer practice. I think it's a bit over kill, since there's no cases in the area and it's only 14 kids, but better safe than sorry.

kdeunc
03-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Our state high school athletic association just cancelled all athletics until April 1, statewide. No games, practices, anything.

carolinacool
03-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Our state high school athletic association just cancelled all athletics until April 1, statewide. No games, practices, anything.

Did you see that the ACC has halted all athletic-related activity indefinitely. I get it, better safe than sorry. But I feel for all those seniors who are losing their last season. I really feel for all the college seniors, who aren't really getting the experience of their last semester in college. I saw that BYU has already canceled its graduation ceremony. Seems a bit early to decide that.

carolinamama
03-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Did you see that the ACC has halted all athletic-related activity indefinitely. I get it, better safe than sorry. But I feel for all those seniors who are losing their last season. I really feel for all the college seniors, who aren't really getting the experience of their last semester in college. I saw that BYU has already canceled its graduation ceremony. Seems a bit early to decide that.

While I truly feel for those players that will miss out on their last season, I am glad to see some high-profile organizations taking this seriously. Hopefully it prompts people, companies and school systems to realize this is not "just the flu" and "only affects the elderly", both of which are not correct. Our leadership has left all the hard decisions up to individual organizations and people and thus many are not grasping the true magnitude of what is coming.

marymoo86
03-12-2020, 04:17 PM

What? We just got an email that fans aren't allowed the baseball games this weekend?? The tourney was cancelled.

ETA just saw the Twitter announcement:

The ACC
@theACC
Statement from the Atlantic Coast Conference:

“The Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic related activities including all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships until further notice."

AnnieW625
03-12-2020, 04:18 PM
We are going on with life as normal.

Dd1’s school spring break trip to DC has been postponed to a later date this summer. I just hope she can go due to the unknown new dates.

Neither of my kids schools have closed (one is public, the other is diocese supported Catholic), which is fine with me because I don’t want to be wasting weeks of sick leave unless DH and I are or the kids are officially quarantined.

Fox News just reported that the diocese of NYC has closed k-8 Catholic schools next week.

Yes the ACC conference tourney and many other events centering around sports that have now been cancelled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coronavirus-updates-major-college-basketball-conferences-cancel-league-tournaments/live/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roobee
03-12-2020, 04:23 PM
I just got an email from USA Swimming about canceling competitions for the next 30 days. It didn't seem to say anything about practice though.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

carolinacool
03-12-2020, 04:30 PM
March Madness is canceled! UNC picked the right year to be awful. (light humor)

squimp
03-12-2020, 04:35 PM
They just canceled March Madness! I love basketball, this and the NBA season suspension is really tough.

Our state has cancelled all the b-ball finals too. Swim and wrestling just completed or they would be cancelling.

squimp
03-12-2020, 04:39 PM

LOL.

I am sad because our women were going to host a couple of rounds, and I wanted to go.

I feel bad for the U of Oregon women, I think they could have won the tourney, now we will never know.

doberbrat
03-12-2020, 04:45 PM
many schools are closing for 2 weeks. Ours has not ..... yet. One local district has cancelled until April 30. I thought it was a typo....

That seems extreme! I mean, at least, cancel for 2 weeks at a time and reassess? I work at a school but back when I worked corporate, a 6w closure would have meant sending my kids out of state to relatives.

NCGrandma
03-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Yep!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Snow mom
03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
many schools are closing for 2 weeks. Ours has not ..... yet. One local district has cancelled until April 30. I thought it was a typo....

That seems extreme! I mean, at least, cancel for 2 weeks at a time and reassess? I work at a school but back when I worked corporate, a 6w closure would have meant sending my kids out of state to relatives.
Wow, do you mind telling me which district?

MommyAllison
03-12-2020, 10:42 PM
So far, there are no known cases of Covid in our state, so nothing has been cancelled yet and people are mostly going about their normal routines, except that toilet paper is impossible to find. The soccer deadline to sign up is this Sunday and I'm waffling about if I should sign DS up or not. Soccer season starts the second week of April and goes through the end of May...the virus will definitely be here by then. Nothing on the league's social media or website about coronavirus though. My girls both have big year-end events for their extracurriculars in May, and I'm already prepping them that they could end up cancelled so they aren't surprised and devastated.

kdeunc
03-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Yep!:wink2:

I do feel sorry for the seniors and their families. It is so disappointing for them. There are a lot of things here being cancelled. My two youngest were in a children's theater production that was supposed to be tonight and tomorrow. They have cancelled and opened the dress rehearsal last night for families so the kids could at least perform once in front of an audience. My oldest was supposed to work (representing student athletes) at the high school basketball championships this weekend and he was really bummed about that being cancelled. It has been a good teaching moment for them about heeding public health advice and the "greater good".