PDA

View Full Version : Your plans for social distancing during days off of school and work?

ourbabygirl
03-13-2020, 12:00 AM
First, I want to send hugs to everyone dealing with sickness, loss of work or income, cancelled trips, and every other difficult circumstance brought on by this pandemic. :hug:

I'm wondering how you and your kids are spending your quarantine/ staycation/ Spring Break days?

Our Spring Break will be spent at home, but some of the things the kids originally wanted to do involved places with a lot of people (indoor mall with rides, movies, trampoline parks, museums, etc.). We're planning to stay in our home, mainly, but will also try to get some fresh air (versus being in public buildings), though the weather is pretty cold and gloomy. Based on how many schools in the country are closing for weeks at a time, our week may turn into much more than that.

Other than screen time ;), what are some things you're thinking of doing to pass the time with the kids, or things you'll have the kids do, if you need to work?
Are there certain places you're still willing to go to, and others that you aren't?
They cancelled our weekend church services (will broadcast online) and activities, as well as our local St. Patrick's Day parade. Not sure if we should have DS go to soccer practice, that starts back up this weekend. I'm assuming we should just make sure we're good on groceries and hunker down for a week or so?

It's funny- during snow days when the kids are off of school, and the weather is too bad to be out on the roads much, there are still various things we can do, but I'm hesitant to even have play dates now, with what's going on. DH is at least going to take a day off to help out, and we're thinking of trying out some new state parks...

How are you planning on spending the time?
Thanks for your input!

PZMommy
03-13-2020, 12:43 AM
My youngest son falls into the high risk categories, so we are staying in. We are well stocked to stay home for quite some time.

DualvansMommy
03-13-2020, 01:24 AM
My kids are switching to online schooling effective next week until April 3rd. That’s when our spring break starts, and we have plans to fly out of state. Not sure about the vacation part yet..

But I plan to have structure for the kids as DH and I will be taking turns WFH, although I have next week to work remotely per my office policy. I figure let kids sleep in a bit, do some school work, go outside for walk/run/play soccer, and chill in most evenings with board games, movies and Netflix. Beyond that....not sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KpbS
03-13-2020, 01:26 AM
We haven't made a final decision about whether to travel to family ( a state away) or not. School is cancelled for 2+ weeks. I've placed a lot of library holds--we'll see if they are processed before libraries close here. They are trying to stay open to accommodate kids for educational purposes, but really do not want unaccompanied minors for hours a day. We plan on doing some art projects, spring cleaning (much needed), and cooking, although nothing elaborate. It is supposed to rain for the next couple of weeks, but I hope to get outside when there are breaks. And we will be doing school at home as we are homeschoolers anyways. :) But definitely breaking for spring break.

essnce629
03-13-2020, 02:08 AM
I'm glad we put in our pool 2.5 years ago. I think I'll heat it up so DS can swim every day and I can easily spend hours in the jacuzzi every day! After it finishes raining that is! My mom lost her job a few weeks ago, and it's actually perfect timing since she's spent the last 4 out of 5 weeks here with us. I think it's better if she stays here vs going back to SD and being all alone in her apartment. She came up here for some job interviews, but her job is working with dentists, and most patients are canceling their appointments right now so work is slow and looks like hiring is on hold at a lot of places. So we'll probably work on spring cleaning the house. DS1 and I were supposed to head to Washinton and Oregon next Fri to visit 8 colleges, and even though all 8 schools are still doing their tours as of today, we will most likely cancel our trip if LAUSD cancels school and DS2 has to be stuck at home while DH is trying to work from home.

WatchingThemGrow
03-13-2020, 06:34 AM
We will be having endless snowdays here... got the library books, the food, new music for piano, cello, viola, games, cooking projects. We do need to make a schedule for the days and a chore list so I don't nag them all day, every day.

A neighbor is asking if DD can babysit. What are y'all thinking about babysitting and playdates? I would rather not because I want to stop this virus completely, but am willing to listen to reason. Are your kids going to other peoples' homes?

ETA: also got new rainboots for DC so they can go traipsing around in our swampy forest.

georgiegirl
03-13-2020, 07:52 AM
I just ordered a slack line from amazon plus a bunch of activity books and puzzles. I also ran to the library last night go stock up on books. I’ll probably get more tomorrow. I will let my kids have play dates with friends, and I will let DD babysit. Fingers crossed the state doesn’t close the drivers license office because DD’s birthday is next week and she wants to get her permit.

MSWR0319
03-13-2020, 08:03 AM
My kids are planning play dates. Other than that, they'll just be outside or playing board games etc. They're about to find out what it was like when we were kids because we just sent in their Switch controls because they weren't working, so they can't even play that for awhile!

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2020, 08:50 AM
I’m tempted to rent a lake house with a hot tub. Hikes right out the door, pool table, lots of separation from others...
We have a big conservatory nearby and I feel confident that it won’t have many visitors at all. Even if it had some, it’d be easy to keep that 10’ space. So, that’s my fallback with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

westwoodmom04
03-13-2020, 09:11 AM
I’m tempted to rent a lake house with a hot tub. Hikes right out the door, pool table, lots of separation from others...
We have a big conservatory nearby and I feel confident that it won’t have many visitors at all. Even if it had some, it’d be easy to keep that 10’ space. So, that’s my fallback with them.

Trying to figure out somewhere good to drive to as well. Dh has been asked to stay local by his hospital so just me and kids. My parents are younger (just 70) and thinking of driving to visit them as long as everyone is healthy, they live in a resort area of South Carolina, nine hour drive. Alternative might be to get an Airbnb somewhere outdoorsy. We have at least three week out of school between spring break and distance learning so a change of scenery would be good.

Also, going to make point to continue supporting local restaurants and other small businesses.

ang79
03-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Our schools have not closed yet (apparently in PA it has to be done by each district and not state wide like neighboring states have done). In speaking with friends that are teachers here though, I wouldn't be surprised if closures are announced this weekend or next week, they are already preparing packets for younger students to take home for each subject and older grades are preparing online work to be done via school issued chromebooks.

I'm my older daughter's girl scout leader. We have our first cookie booths this weekend. So far, council is saying to continue with booths and be extra vigilant with hand washing. And since I have 700 boxes of cookies sitting in my house, I really hope we can sell a good bit this weekend before area closures start! I also have cookies to deliver to family members that live about 3 hrs. away. My mom is contemplating meeting my half-way on Sunday to get them to take back home to deliver for me. We normally meet at a Texas Roadhouse restaurant, but I worry about doing that, as my step-dad is older and has a heart condition, and my parents don't seem too concerned about the seriousness of this virus. Maybe the kids and I will just meet her without step-dad. DD2 also has a play date scheduled for Saturday and our church events are still on schedule (normal Sunday services, youth group, etc.) I'm wondering if they will consider canceling any of those, especially if the school district announces closures. DH may end up working from home and I think my kids will be totally content to do their assigned school work, read, play games, take walks, and do stuff together, so I'm not too concerned about them getting bored during a closure. But I'm uncertain as to what else should we avoid (violin lessons, church events, normal trips to the store for milk and fresh fruit if needed, hair appointment, play dates, etc.)

carolinacool
03-13-2020, 09:29 AM
I'll be working and so will DH, if he's home. I imagine DS will spend a lot of time on his PS4. Since the weather is getting warmer, he'll also spend lots of time shooting on his basketball goal. I would be fine with him hanging out with friends, but no one is within walking distance. I don't plan to completely shut in though. I'll still go to the grocery store/Target/restaurants if they are still open.

That said, school is still on for now and neither DH or I have received a directive to WFH.

jacksmomtobe
03-13-2020, 09:38 AM
I’m letting them meet kids at outdoor places but not go to other kids’ homes. I feel like since they aren’t having the kids go to school we should try to avoid close contact with others indoors. Mostly on principle because otherwise I would rather they be in school. We also have had cases in our city. One of the big pharmaceutical cos had a big conference which seems to have caused the majority of the cases in our area and it would be rather likely that multiple parent from our community would have attended. I might consider letting dd babysit as she would be better about taking precautions than DS and she only babysits for one family. I did go to a local coffee shop this am as they are taking extreme precautions and I would hate for them to take a financial hit. Honestly I feel like we have a low chance of getting it but the quicker life in general gets back to normal the better.

@ourbabygirl I would be surprised if your ds had soccer practice as a lot of soccer is being cancelled/delayed on a national level. Our clubs cancelled everything for the next few weeks. I’m hoping our spring club season doesn’t get cancelled. DS is in hs so the club practices started in Nov and they have played several tournaments but the real season is in the spring. DD is coming off an injury so I really want her to get back in the groove. I was also hoping to get her to consider switching to ds’s club but that would involve her going to a few practices this spring with the other club. She was recovering from a concussion last spring so she couldn’t tryout at all so she stuck with her existing team which is a yr older and not ideal from a development standpoint.

@essence629 I’m surprised the colleges are open especially in Washington State. Around here in New England most colleges are going online and sending kids home. Only a few exceptions are being made to allow some kids to stay on campus.

TwinFoxes
03-13-2020, 09:48 AM
We're planning on moving. My kids will now get an early start packing their rooms. (Cue "but, mooooooom" whine.)

scrooks
03-13-2020, 09:54 AM
My older 2 kids will have online learning from the school. We have discussed, with other neighborhood moms, playing together outside but not in others homes. I plan on decluttering the house with the kids help as well. We also want to get out to the parks and take some family hikes.

My only question is my gym... I need it for my sanity and they are not closed... don’t know what to do. I can probably do some modified workouts from home....

pinkmomagain
03-13-2020, 11:47 AM
My only question is my gym... I need it for my sanity and they are not closed... don’t know what to do. I can probably do some modified workouts from home....

UGH I have been continuing to go to my studio classes (they have upped disinfecting, reducing class sizes). It's probably not the best idea, but I feel like I can't NOT go -- due to sanity reasons too. Will definitely be adding walks outside, for sure.

essnce629
03-13-2020, 12:24 PM
@essence629 I’m surprised the colleges are open especially in Washington State. Around here in New England most colleges are going online and sending kids home. Only a few exceptions are being made to allow some kids to stay on campus.

Yes, every single one of the colleges has switched to online learning, but they are all still offering their individual tours and info sessions. Dining facilities are still open too since not all kids can actually go home. So far we haven't gotten a single email saying that tours are canceled, only the opposite saying they are still scheduled and the precautions they're taking. They did cancel their larger Open House visit days, since those usually have hundreds of students and their families in attendance.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Kestrel
03-13-2020, 12:26 PM
We are working on learning to cook! Since we're stuck here anyway, I think now is a great time to work on some things that take a longer time, like home made bread. We are also doing our spring cleaning, with involves pulling out outgrown toys and clothes and packing them to donate.

Also, cleaning out the pantry of stuff close to expiring, and use or donate it. Be aware that food banks are taking a hit right now, and donate if you can.

marinkitty
03-13-2020, 02:39 PM
We are working on learning to cook! Since we're stuck here anyway, I think now is a great time to work on some things that take a longer time, like home made bread. We are also doing our spring cleaning, with involves pulling out outgrown toys and clothes and packing them to donate.

Also, cleaning out the pantry of stuff close to expiring, and use or donate it. Be aware that food banks are taking a hit right now, and donate if you can.

This is a great idea!

hellokitty
03-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Cooking class is a fun idea! My boys like helping to cook, but usually we are rushing around due to activities. Since so many activities have been canceled, we can cook together at home. I'm going to ask them what they'd like to learn how to cook. We are off of school for a MONTH!

ett
03-13-2020, 02:55 PM
Yes, every single one of the colleges has switched to online learning, but they are all still offering their individual tours and info sessions. Dining facilities are still open too since not all kids can actually go home. So far we haven't gotten a single email saying that tours are canceled, only the opposite saying they are still scheduled and the precautions they're taking. They did cancel their larger Open House visit days, since those usually have hundreds of students and their families in attendance.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

We were planning to visit a few colleges in New York during our April vacation week, but 3 of 4 schools have already posted they're not running any tours. Of course, it's predicted that our April vacation will be cancelled anyway since we're closed now for at least 2 weeks.

doberbrat
03-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Im letting dd2 go to a friend's at home bday with 9 other girls from school.

I'm also planning on allowing some limited play dates at a couple of friends' homes who they already hang out with alot. ie, no new germs.

the 4 of us cant sit in this house for the next x# of weeks and not hurt each other.

ezcc
03-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Interesting, we were scheduled to visit colleges next week and I am pretty sure every single one has emailed us to cancel the tour, info session and a few don't want visitors at all -even just walking around. New York and New England schools.

petesgirl
03-13-2020, 04:28 PM

I'm also planning on allowing some limited play dates at a couple of friends' homes who they already hang out with alot. ie, no new germs.

the 4 of us cant sit in this house for the next x# of weeks and not hurt each other.

Yes, I'm still planning on playdates with the 2-3 kids that live close by. It will be fairly easy to monitor if one of them gets sick, plus they all go to school together anyway so they have been around each other a lot.

carolinacool
03-13-2020, 04:59 PM
I think DS will still have basketball practice even though tournaments for the next two weeks are on hold. He's an only child, so I think he will appreciate actually seeing other children.

Our school system still has not canceled school, although they had a meeting about it. I learned that 67% of kids are on free or reduced lunch. Apparently, most of the meeting was figuring out how to meet their needs if school is canceled long term. I totally get that. I was super surprised to see one of my friends, who is so SJW most of the time, reaming them and announcing that his kid would not be returning for the foreseeable future. Do you, Boo. The things he was saying on FB were totally unnecessary.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2020, 06:02 PM
I think DS will still have basketball practice even though tournaments for the next two weeks are on hold. He's an only child, so I think he will appreciate actually seeing other children.

Our school system still has not canceled school, although they had a meeting about it. I learned that 67% of kids are on free or reduced lunch. Apparently, most of the meeting was figuring out how to meet their needs if school is canceled long term. I totally get that. I was super surprised to see one of my friends, who is so SJW most of the time, reaming them and announcing that his kid would not be returning for the foreseeable future. Do you, Boo. The things he was saying on FB were totally unnecessary.

I’m going to bet within the next 24-72 hours, all activities will be cancelled

Kestrel
03-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Washington State Governor just closed all schools in the state for six weeks. We're talking April 24th at best.

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 08:23 PM
Good question. Well, DH said my high schoolers are going to spend the next 2 weeks cleaning and organizing the garage followed by working with him on the 1960(?) VWBug that they are working on out there that is in pieces. They also are going to finish their online courses that i signed them up for. The middle schoolers are excited to do some things on their own. DS3 has been working on his raspberry pi computer. I just learned how to do some embroidery stitches and DD wants to learn them so she can help me teach them at the craft club I lead. She will also be practicing a lot on her dances she is performing for competitions if they actually are rescheduled. I have been meaning to sign the twins up for online language classes so they can start working on their high school credits. I think I'll have them work on those over the next few weeks as well.

The craft club I lead doesn't meet again until March 27th. There are only 13 girls in the group (plus a parent or guardian). With such a small gathering, I think I'll ask the parents if they would still like to meet. I might give the girls some activities to work on at home and then have them display what they've done on the 27th.

ang79
03-13-2020, 11:03 PM
The craft club I lead doesn't meet again until March 27th. There are only 13 girls in the group (plus a parent or guardian). With such a small gathering, I think I'll ask the parents if they would still like to meet. I might give the girls some activities to work on at home and then have them display what they've done on the 27th.

Parents have been asking about girl scout meetings while school is out (ours announced today we will be out til March 30). I know several that would not show up if I offer to still have meetings so I'm not even going to bother, as its only 10 girls and a parent helper. We have cookie booths scheduled this weekend and several parents have bailed on me out of fear of the virus. These kids were probably exposed to way more germs at school today than I was at 4 hrs. of cookie booths tonight. We were outside and used hand sanitizer after every transaction and were not in close proximity to the few customers we had at a time.

Curious if anyone has had church services or church activities canceled? Ours have not yet, and I don't think they will, but I'm wondering if attendance will be down the next few weeks.

ang79
03-13-2020, 11:05 PM
Double post

georgiegirl
03-13-2020, 11:14 PM
The biggest church in our area has cancelled services this weekend. But the pastor will love stream services. (We don’t go to church but saw it was posted on FB). Only one district in our area is closed, the rest are not (but we have spring break next week, so no one has school. but the school aftercare is still going on for those districts where school has not been cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 11:15 PM
Parents have been asking about girl scout meetings while school is out (ours announced today we will be out til March 30). I know several that would not show up if I offer to still have meetings so I'm not even going to bother, as its only 10 girls and a parent helper. We have cookie booths scheduled this weekend and several parents have bailed on me out of fear of the virus. These kids were probably exposed to way more germs at school today than I was at 4 hrs. of cookie booths tonight. We were outside and used hand sanitizer after every transaction and were not in close proximity to the few customers we had at a time.

Curious if anyone has had church services or church activities canceled? Ours have not yet, and I don't think they will, but I'm wondering if attendance will be down the next few weeks.

Our next crafting meeting isn't for 2 more weeks. I suspect that some of these kids will be driving their parents stir crazy by that time. Maybe some of the hysteria will have died down. I'll be prepared for the meeting if the moms want to have it.

I can answer your church service question, at least for our church. Our bishop has made Sunday services optional for our diocese (Catholic). The statement they put out with it said that they are trying to protect the older and vulnerable members. I believe our church has not made changes yet to the services and we plan to go. My boys are signed up as alter servers this weekend. They plan to attend their Boy Scout meeting this weekend too. Unless we start to show symptoms, I think we will try to attend small group gatherings. We will just be careful to take precautions.

Globetrotter
03-13-2020, 11:16 PM
I’m trying to figure out whether to host some academic team practices- the kids are begging me but I’m conflicted. I think maybe with some precautions and rules? They are well behaved. I have already been making some changes over the past couple of weeks. Hmmm..

I found this helpful:
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/

KpbS
03-13-2020, 11:19 PM
Everything here is cancelled. Churches, schools, meetings, practices, all sports, library meeting rooms, etc. Some are still playing with neighbors. DSs are having a couple of friends over tomorrow. Next weekend I predict will be different.

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 11:31 PM
Everything here is cancelled. Churches, schools, meetings, practices, all sports, library meeting rooms, etc. Some are still playing with neighbors. DSs are having a couple of friends over tomorrow. Next weekend I predict will be different.

I just worry about the small businesses that are going to suffer and fail if we allow everything to stop and be canceled.

carolinacool
03-13-2020, 11:56 PM

In which way? Fewer cancellations, or people being even more cautious?

DS does aftercare at the Y. They sent a letter today saying that if school closes, so will child care at the Y. I get it, but that leaves us with no options for any care. We don't have any family here to step in. My job has "encouraged" us to work from home for two weeks, so if school does close, we'll be fine for that amount of time and probably beyond that. Thank goodness I have the flexibility.

ett
03-14-2020, 12:08 AM

All church services and activities are cancelled here. We're getting hit really bad in my area.

petesgirl
03-14-2020, 12:20 AM
In Utah, we have a few positive cases and the governor just shut down all schools for 2 weeks and all gatherings of over 100 people. Church meetings canceled, libraries and rec centers near us are all closed.

KpbS
03-14-2020, 12:34 AM
In which way? Fewer cancellations, or people being even more cautious?

DS does aftercare at the Y. They sent a letter today saying that if school closes, so will child care at the Y. I get it, but that leaves us with no options for any care. We don't have any family here to step in. My job has "encouraged" us to work from home for two weeks, so if school does close, we'll be fine for that amount of time and probably beyond that. Thank goodness I have the flexibility.

I think in the coming weeks people will be even more cautious about getting together in groups, even for playdates, dinner guests, etc. when more people are diagnosed and sick in our communities. Once people we know are sickened, it becomes even more real of a threat.

jgenie
03-14-2020, 06:08 AM

Our Sunday school classes have been canceled until further notice. Some schools in our area have closed through the end of March others are still open. Most of our libraries have closed. We are staying home for the next few weeks. We are not doing play dates but will be getting out locally to hike and my kids will be outside in our yard every day. We are Catholic and will not be going to Mass. I will go out to buy groceries as needed and plan to help at our local food bank as needed but otherwise we’re hunkering down at home. There are many, many elderly people in our community and we’re hoping to stop the spread for their sakes.

ETA: If I see cookie booths when I’m out, I plan to buy $20 at each booth to be sent to the troops.

Melaine
03-14-2020, 07:02 AM
So weeks ago DH planned to take off thursday and friday to put in our new living room flooring (it's already been a huge drag because we planned to put it in January but his work hours have been crazy). Because our couches were on their last legs (almost literally), we put them at the street Monday night so we wouldn't have to deal with them while installation was happening. Well now the new floor is in, couches are gone and we are stuck at home with NO WHERE TO SIT. We just have the living room, kitchen and bedrooms so it's not like there's another hang out spot! I had planned to go to Ikea to pick out new ones but now I'm not even sure what to do! I know this is a weird whine but SERIOUSLY I am so tired of having nowhere to sit!

TwinFoxes
03-14-2020, 07:23 AM
So weeks ago DH planned to take off thursday and friday to put in our new living room flooring (it's already been a huge drag because we planned to put it in January but his work hours have been crazy). Because our couches were on their last legs (almost literally), we put them at the street Monday night so we wouldn't have to deal with them while installation was happening. Well now the new floor is in, couches are gone and we are stuck at home with NO WHERE TO SIT. We just have the living room, kitchen and bedrooms so it's not like there's another hang out spot! I had planned to go to Ikea to pick out new ones but now I'm not even sure what to do! I know this is a weird whine but SERIOUSLY I am so tired of having nowhere to sit!

That sounds so annoying. Well worth a whine!

SASM
03-14-2020, 07:53 AM
*Getting ahead and catching up on homework - myself and kids.
*Beach (and boat, if DH is home)
*Spring Cleaning a little early - deep clean house and declutter
*Supporting DD1 by joining her in her soccer/lacrosse dead period workouts...she needs to get zippier

I am on the fence in regards to DS's working - grocery store, carts, cleaning, bagging - lots of people and germs.

SASM
03-14-2020, 07:58 AM

Strangely enough this happened to us a few years ago. Our sofa of choice was on backorder. Out came the folding chairs and hammock. The chairs were more comfortable than our previous sofa and the kids were so sorry to see the hammock go!

westwoodmom04
03-14-2020, 09:55 AM

It’s ok to go some place like Ikea, just practice social distancing as much as possible.

westwoodmom04
03-14-2020, 09:55 AM

It’s ok to go some place like Ikea, just practice social distancing as much as possible.

AnnieW625
03-14-2020, 10:23 AM
We're planning on moving. My kids will now get an early start packing their rooms. (Cue "but, mooooooom" whine.)

This is us too....our house right now is scheduled to go on the market the first week of May so we will just keep cleaning.

Dd1’s school (Catholic diocese supported) is closed through the end of the month. They will go back to school one week before spring break and then have the break off if they go back at the beginning of April. Dd1 says she wants to get together with her friends so they can do their homework because their school is 100% online. I don’t know if other parents will be receptive to this or not. I am just happy for Dd1’s sake that this shouldn’t effect her being done with school the first week of June (she is ready for high school).

Dd2’s school is closed through April 20th. She was sent home with books and stuff (per the face time video with DH last night....I am out of town for the weekend), but he said he would look through it all today. I am not sure if her school whose last day is scheduled for the second Friday in June or if it will be pushed back to early July. Dd2 has the option to go to the YMCA for these few weeks but DH is covering this week and I am not sure about the following weeks as I will be discussing with my employer on Monday when I get back. The first meeting we had said they working on laptops for all employees. I am hoping that if I have to be off it will only be 2 weeks. Dh said his agency was told that they got 2 weeks of Administrative Time Off so if that happens we should be good.

I really just want everyone to be safe but I would like to know if school will be extended to July, which would probably delay putting our house on the market for a few weeks, but it would also solve the issue of having to find summer camps for Dd2, which was kind of in limbo due to not knowing exactly when our move is complete.

My junior league has cancelled our meeting this month and postponed our fundraiser until mid June.

Dd2’s art class is still going on.

daniele_ut
03-14-2020, 10:34 AM

I live in Utah, where 50-70% of the population belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The leadership at church headquarters announced last week that there would be no audience for our annual General Conference April 3-4. I work on the broadcast team and we normally have an audience of 22,000 people in each of 5 sessions. Then a few days ago we received word that Sunday church services and ALL related church activities are cancelled worldwide. Senior couple missionaries from all over Europe are being sent home. The missionary training center will not be accepting entering missionaries for the next month or longer. Temples are closing as well. Yesterday I got word that all of the public areas of the Temple Square campus are being closed. Not sure how that is affecting all employees yet. They are taking this very, very seriously.

Our GS council cancelled cookie booths after today and suspended all troop meetings until further notice.

daniele_ut
03-14-2020, 10:35 AM

I live in Utah, where 50-70% of the population belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The leadership at church headquarters announced last week that there would be no audience for our annual General Conference April 3-4. I work on the broadcast team and we normally have an audience of 22,000 people in each of 5 sessions. Then a few days ago we received word that Sunday church services and ALL related church activities are cancelled worldwide. Senior couple missionaries from all over Europe are being sent home. The missionary training center will not be accepting entering missionaries for the next month or longer. Temples are closing as well. Yesterday I got word that all of the public areas of the Temple Square campus are being closed. Not sure how that is affecting all employees yet. They are taking this very, very seriously.

Our GS council cancelled cookie booths after today and suspended all troop meetings until further notice.

DualvansMommy
03-14-2020, 10:41 AM
I just worry about the small businesses that are going to suffer and fail if we allow everything to stop and be canceled.

They’re stepping up by allowing deliveries, take outs, etc and I’m going to do that to support them. Will order meals from them every few days, and order stuff to get shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MSWR0319
03-14-2020, 11:13 AM

This happened to my parents my Senior year of high school. The guy I was going to prom with showed up at my house one night with his friend and wanted to watch a movie and play games. We had NO furniture because my mom had thrown it away when they got new carpet and hadn't bought anything yet. I was so embarrassed. They all took it in stride and it's still a joke to this day, but man was it embarrassing when a guy your crushing on shows up to that.

doberbrat
03-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Update - the party was cancelled - which I'm a little relieved at since also on the agenda was a cadet girl scout meeting. I was to help with the meeting. 6 girls 5 from dd1's school and 1 from another school at the leader's house. Meeting was to be Fri night - she cancelled at the last minute because they had to send 2 people from her lab home with fevers and clearly she's been exposed to whatever they have! On the off chance that they have covid and she's been exposed, we could all have been exposed to her just that easily :(

o_mom
03-14-2020, 12:48 PM
One thing we are doing is designating DH as our "go out in public" person. He is still working on-site (though that could change) while I WFH, so he will probably do any grocery shopping, etc. on the way home from work or during his lunch. We are trying to keep to 1 grocery stop per week and have a list for quick in/out.

Everything except for one activity for DH and I has been cancelled, so we really don't have anywhere to go.

gatorsmom
03-14-2020, 01:52 PM
One thing we are doing is designating DH as our "go out in public" person. He is still working on-site (though that could change) while I WFH, so he will probably do any grocery shopping, etc. on the way home from work or during his lunch. We are trying to keep to 1 grocery stop per week and have a list for quick in/out.

Everything except for one activity for DH and I has been cancelled, so we really don't have anywhere to go.

Thwts a good idea. Is he the healthiest adult in the house? No chronic health conditions? In our house; both Dh and I have issues. I have asthma and he has a reduced immune system. I’ll probably send out my 16 and 14 yr olds. They are both healthy and young. It will be great experience for them.

gatorsmom
03-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Oops, double post

o_mom
03-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Thwts a good idea. Is he the healthiest adult in the house? No chronic health conditions? In our house; both Dh and I have issues. I have asthma and he has a reduced immune system. I’ll probably send out my 16 and 14 yr olds. They are both healthy and young. It will be great experience for them.

Yes, other than being slightly older, he is is good shape with none of the high-risk conditions. I figure if he is going to have to go out to go to work, we may as well have it be him. I WFH anyway, so I don't have to go out.

hellokitty
03-14-2020, 02:02 PM
We are stuck with no school for 4 weeks, we had not planned to go away for spring break either. I'm hoping that the weather cooperates and we can at least do more outdoor things. My kids are old enough that I don't feel the need to entertain them, but we may go on some hikes. I am thinking it might not be a bad idea for us rent a cabin (a few hrs away) for an extended weekend, just to get away, yet still be distanced from crowds of people. We also have a lot of household things like cleaning out the garage, cleaning up our property (lots of fallen branches from the winter, getting flower beds ready, burn pile needs to be burned, etc.), and just a general spring cleaning and changing of linens and clothes with the change in season that need to be done. Usually this is a total PITA to do while also juggling kids school and activities, but w/o those issues it will be easier and I will get my kids to help me. It's not a fun time, but it helps us to get our household into order, bc as soon as activities and school go back to normal, we are hitting the ground running with 3 baseball teams, track, school, church, plus other activities.

mom2binsd
03-14-2020, 04:27 PM
I work in a nursing home and it's vital I keep germs at bay, I've told the kids I don't want a ton of kids hanging around here, am hoping the weather cooperates and they can be outside a lot. DS's best friend moved about 4 hours away and I think he is going to go to visit him for about 5 days, so that will help a lot.

I'm worried I won't be able to work if they deem us non essential, I am the only source of income and live paycheck to paycheck unfortunately, my x stopped paying child support a year ago so it's pretty tight. Like many others in this country this could be very devastating. I do not qualify for unemployment or PTO etc due to the type of contract I have. I have been staying later after clocking out to visit with the residents whose family isn't allowed to come in anymore, I have contacted a few via facebook just to let them know their family member is ok, it is heartbreaking. These are folks who Facetiming isn't an option d/t hearing loss or cognitive deficits. One family asked if they brought me money could I get their dad a McDonalds shake as they usually get him one, I told them it was on me. The atmosphere at work is beyond stressful right now, although we are used to being very aware of handwashing all the time and face lots of infectious diseases everyday, all year long. I feel for the hourly workers who make minimum wage, but need to work like the CNA's, they have kids and now need to find childcare. Most of my friends are like folks on this board and have the luxury of working from home/are SAHM or have the financial means to weather this out, but there are plenty, not typically on this board who are struggling to figure things out so they can still go to work.

Let's hope this is all over sooner rather than later. I am probably going to exit from most social media at this time as I am finding myself becoming super frustrated with reading so many ridiculous things (not necessarily here but in general).

Netflix will be my friend for the next while I think.

marinkitty
03-14-2020, 05:59 PM
If you haven't already seen this, I found it very useful. Upshot is, nothing that isn't essential. If we all do that, this will be over faster. If we don't, it will drag out and be way worse.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

marinkitty
03-14-2020, 05:59 PM
If you haven't already seen this, I found it very useful. Upshot is, nothing that isn't essential. No small gatherings. No one on one playdates. If we all do that, this will be over faster. If we don't, it will drag out and be way worse.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

jent
03-14-2020, 06:13 PM
I work in a nursing home and it's vital I keep germs at bay, I've told the kids I don't want a ton of kids hanging around here, am hoping the weather cooperates and they can be outside a lot. DS's best friend moved about 4 hours away and I think he is going to go to visit him for about 5 days, so that will help a lot.

I'm worried I won't be able to work if they deem us non essential, I am the only source of income and live paycheck to paycheck unfortunately, my x stopped paying child support a year ago so it's pretty tight. Like many others in this country this could be very devastating. I do not qualify for unemployment or PTO etc due to the type of contract I have. I have been staying later after clocking out to visit with the residents whose family isn't allowed to come in anymore, I have contacted a few via facebook just to let them know their family member is ok, it is heartbreaking. These are folks who Facetiming isn't an option d/t hearing loss or cognitive deficits. One family asked if they brought me money could I get their dad a McDonalds shake as they usually get him one, I told them it was on me. The atmosphere at work is beyond stressful right now, although we are used to being very aware of handwashing all the time and face lots of infectious diseases everyday, all year long. I feel for the hourly workers who make minimum wage, but need to work like the CNA's, they have kids and now need to find childcare. Most of my friends are like folks on this board and have the luxury of working from home/are SAHM or have the financial means to weather this out, but there are plenty, not typically on this board who are struggling to figure things out so they can still go to work.

Let's hope this is all over sooner rather than later. I am probably going to exit from most social media at this time as I am finding myself becoming super frustrated with reading so many ridiculous things (not necessarily here but in general).

Netflix will be my friend for the next while I think.

I feel for you. The recent bill did not go far enough to help out working families.

As for our situation, both DH and I work jobs that we can't do from home and are not likely to slow down over the next few weeks. We are lucky in that we only have 1 DD, and she is old enough to stay home on her own. We are also lucky that if push came to shove, DH could decide not to go to work (and not get paid) and we could survive the loss of his paycheck.

o_mom
03-14-2020, 06:38 PM
If you haven't already seen this, I found it very useful. Upshot is, nothing that isn't essential. No small gatherings. No one on one playdates. If we all do that, this will be over faster. If we don't, it will drag out and be way worse.

I just read that too. DS2 is mad I won't let him go hang out with friends. DS1 is an expert at social distancing already, lol. DS 3 is going to be tough once the snow melts ... Also the neighbor kids are going need a talking to about staying out of our yard.

Kestrel
03-14-2020, 08:59 PM
to jent and others having a tough time... We are going to be taking in the kids of a local Dr/Nurse married couple and a male ER nurse whose wife is on deployment. They won't have to worry about exposing their own kids, while working crazy hours, and they'll be paying us enough to keep us afloat. (School, daycare and after-school program are all closed.) We're on acreage and set to not leave the house for weeks if needed. (We will be keeping them here, not back and forth to parents' houses.)

There are plenty of kids who need temporary child care - perhaps you can use that to get your household through the mess.

lizzywednesday
03-14-2020, 09:26 PM
I guess I'm really lucky right now that DD hasn't got friends - nobody to tell "no" about playdates and no disappointment for her when I tell her she needs to hang out in the backyard or ride her bike instead.

I'm more than a little anti-social myself, too, but between an asthma diagnosis (me) and DD's heart, I'm taking no chances once they close the school buildings.

hellokitty
03-15-2020, 11:19 AM
My 16 year old needs to take his driver's exam by next month, so he is getting a lot of practice right now driving around with DH. It's a perfect social distancing activity, since you're just in the car.

petesgirl
03-15-2020, 12:00 PM
I really want to reach out to a few health care workers I know and be sure they have childcare set up, or see if I can help but I'm not really sure if it's ok to offer babysitting services right now.

georgiegirl
03-15-2020, 12:02 PM
I really want to reach out to a few health care workers I know and be sure they have childcare set up, or see if I can help but I'm not really sure if it's ok to offer babysitting services right now.

I think finding a high school or college kid to help with childcare should be fine. There are kids who can’t work at their regular jobs because of closures, and I know they would love jobs. One friend mentioned her daughter is home from college and annoyed that she can’t earn any money from her job, and I suggested asking around to see if anyone needs childcare help. I think if you stick to one family one sitter/nanny, then it will be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Am I not understanding this? It seems like the point *is* to drag it out so the curve of infections is flatter.

marinkitty
03-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Am I not understanding this? It seems like the point *is* to drag it out so the curve of infections is flatter.

Fair comment. I guess I feel like the time frame where extreme measures would be needed would be shorter because we stop the current exponential spike, people who get sick can get help, testing can catch up with the population so that anyone can get tested and as a result down the line less people would need to be isolated. We could isolate people who needed it and not worry as much about so many people being unknowingly infected. But even if it doesn't shorten the duration of isolation, it has been proven to reduce the catastrophic effects on access to healthcare when we get sick, so there's that reason for taking is seriously and implementing it full from the get go.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-15-2020, 03:07 PM
But even if it doesn't shorten the duration of isolation, it has been proven to reduce the catastrophic effects on access to healthcare when we get sick, so there's that reason for taking is seriously and implementing it full from the get go.

Oh yes, agree with this! But I really don't think in 2-3 weeks it will be back to business as usual.