PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Baked Goods?

Liziz
03-13-2020, 11:24 AM
I routinely make baked goods for my kids' teachers, our neighbors, etc. (I love to bake and my family can't eat it all, lol!) I often do fancy decorated royal icing cookies for holidays, and people look forward to them, ask me about if I'm doing them, etc. -- so I know they're appreciated.

I've been planning to do cookies for everyone for St. Patrick's Day. But as I just started planning, it got me thinking....do you think they'll be appreciated right now? Is it socially responsible to share? We live in an area where there have been no reported COVID19 cases (yet, I'm sure). Schools, etc. are still open. I'd only be giving them to people that I know have appreciated/asked for them in the past, and (obviously, this would be a non-brainer otherwise!) my family is all healthy.

I'm not very concerned about how this virus will affect my healthy family, but I'm taking very seriously the social responsibility the healthy folks have to do their part in slowing the spread and flattening the curve. I'm struggling with whether continuing my tradition right now would be appreciated and seen as a nice gesture in this time when so many are so stressed, or if it would seem irresponsible and a bad plan.

gatorsmom
03-13-2020, 11:46 AM
I love decorated cookies! They are a lot of work, it’s really nice that you share them. If I were you, before you buy the ingredients, check with the people you were planning to bake for. Everyone seems to have different level of concerns about the virus. Some of your recipients may not be worried and some may no longer be interested in the cookies. Hard to know unless you ask.

HannaAddict
03-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Nope. Skip the tradition. I would accept them and say thanks and throw them away and wash my hands. No one wants shared food right now that is reading Pub Med oe other serious articles about social distancing. I’m in the epicenter and have experienced the ignoring or minimizing by other parents just a week ago. And the week makes a difference. You can be back at it next year! It seems tone deaf this year with a global pandemic. Even if you don’t see it I. Your area yourself - we aren’t testing enough or at all in some places so it is invisible until it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
03-15-2020, 06:53 AM
Nope. Skip the tradition. I would accept them and say thanks and throw them away and wash my hands. No one wants shared food right now that is reading Pub Med oe other serious articles about social distancing. I’m in the epicenter and have experienced the ignoring or minimizing by other parents just a week ago. And the week makes a difference. You can be back at it next year! It seems tone deaf this year with a global pandemic. Even if you don’t see it I. Your area yourself - we aren’t testing enough or at all in some places so it is invisible until it’s too late.

I agree. Yesterday were at Lowes (one of our last social outings for the foreseeable future) and they were handing out popcorn. DH and I just looked at each other. Totally tone deaf, were DH's words. I think skipping it at this point and if you don't people may be likely to toss them.

khm
03-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Yeah I skip this year for sure. My workplace has gone “ok to work from home”. But I know a good percentage will come in. I thought about making cookies for those of us that come in but decided it wouldn’t be well received at this point.

AnnieW625
03-15-2020, 11:45 AM
I am not a germaphobe by any means, but I would hope that all potlucks are cancelled for the time being.

georgiegirl
03-15-2020, 12:09 PM
I am not a germaphobe by any means, but I would hope that all potlucks are cancelled for the time being.

At DH’s work, they had potlucks on Thursday and Friday (because it was someone’s last day), and DH was horrified and refused to even enter the lunch room. This is at a doctor’s clinic too!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liziz
03-15-2020, 08:08 PM
Thanks all for weighing in! I love to make them, so I'll probably still do a few and just make my kids happy, but I won't share them. It was only 2 days ago that I posed this question, but so much has happened so fast since then (including me doing a lot more reading and understanding how important social distancing is, and all it entails) that it now seems obvious to me that I shouldn't share. I agree with the PP that said it was tone deaf....not okay even if the risk is pretty low around here for now. I keep reminding myself that if everyone in my area gets really serious about social distancing NOW, before there's cases around here -- then we have a chance to keep the numbers way lower. So, no handing out cookies this year!