PDA

View Full Version : WWYD sick puppy

Melaine
03-13-2020, 11:40 AM
So our 2 month old bernedoodle has been with us for only one week. On Tuesday we gave her some small treats and she had diarrhea so we haven't done any more of those. She has only had food from the breeder I think it is blue diamond. Since Tuesday some of her stools have seemed normal, some loose but today she has had very watery diarrhea and vomited once that looks very foamy. We haven't established with a vet yet because of all this corona stuff. Would you guys just monitor at this point?

Thanks!

pinkmomagain
03-13-2020, 11:41 AM
I'd take her to a vet.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2020, 11:42 AM
I would not wait. This isn’t a wait and see, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

marinkitty
03-13-2020, 11:45 AM
I'd find a vet ASAP. Why wait and risk that she gets sicker? You'll need a vet soon enough for the usual puppy things. Just use social distancing and disinfect when you get home.

twowhat?
03-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Definitely vet.

mikala
03-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Take her to a vet. Your description makes me wonder about parasites/infection so they'll probably want a stool sample for testing. It's a lot cheaper to talk to a vet on Friday vs weekend emergency clinic if things go south quickly.

Melaine
03-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Thanks all! We have an appointment at 3.

MommyAllison
03-13-2020, 02:56 PM
I was going to say take her in. Definitely take a stool sample in with you (in a ziploc is great)! As fresh as possible. Try not to worry - it's probably something easily treated.

Melbel
03-13-2020, 04:04 PM
We are in a similar situation and took our pup in. Meds for colitis were prescribed and we are to hold food for 24 hours. Cause unknown.

Melaine
03-13-2020, 06:20 PM
So the vet was great. They spent a lot of time and were really sweet. Parvo negative but they did blood work and found an intestinal infection. They gave her fluids, antibiotic, probiotic and prescription food...I’m so glad we did go and didn’t wait but sure wish it hadn’t been $300 one week into ownership.

Melbel, hope your pup feels better too! As if we don’t already have enough to worry about

doberbrat
03-13-2020, 07:30 PM
In a puppy that young, I would have taken her in too esp with vomiting

But just FYI ... diarreah can be quickly stopped by taking 1 sweet potato, 1 reg potato and 1 leek. Boil until soft. Mash them together adding the water you boiled it in back in to make it slightly runny. feed a couple of table spoons to a qtr cup every few hours. I make a batch and freeze in muffin tins so I always have it available when needed. I usually try that first instead of reg food before going to the vet. If its normal 'ate something bad' it works. Obviously wouldnt help parasites etc.