PDA

View Full Version : Are restaurants okay during social distancing?

elbenn
03-14-2020, 10:08 AM
I hear some people talk about getting takeout instead of eating out, but in general, is eating restaurant food whether dining in or taking it out, something reasonable people will still do during days that schools are closed or is it something that people should avoid?

marymoo86
03-14-2020, 11:26 AM
I would think that's a no. You often aren't 6 feet away and in larger crowds. High germ exposure probability IMO if you are in an area with active cases.

westwoodmom04
03-14-2020, 11:32 AM
I think delivery/takeout is ok and how many restaurants will stay in business.

Globetrotter
03-14-2020, 11:33 AM
We Were wondering the same. I wouldn’t go to eat but what about delivery? I guess there’s always the risk of some contamination but a lot less.

BDKmom
03-14-2020, 11:33 AM
We don’t plan to eat at restaurants, but we definitely will be getting take out.

ETA: I think restaurants around here are going above and beyond to instill confidence in their cleaning practices. From what I have read, the risk from transmission through food is low. I’m sure the containers, etc, could carry germs. Maybe wipe them down or remove the food then wash you hands.

Myira
03-14-2020, 11:35 AM
I pondered about take out too!

I cook most meals at home but there are times over the weekend when I throw in the towel if we are super busy and get take out to give myself a break. But with the current situation, I’m hesitant to do it unless absolutely needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
03-14-2020, 11:52 AM
I don't know...a neighbor had a B1G1 free coupon to a pizza place so she is picking up a pizza for us today, which I appreciate but it will probably be the last time we really eat out/order in. Utah just had its first confirmed case of CV and it is a bar worker who showed up to work with symptoms, so...

o_mom
03-14-2020, 12:25 PM
I think we will still do takeout, but not eat at restaurants. To many hard surfaces that are touched by large numbers of people - tables, chairs, etc. as well as the close proximity to other diners. Add to that teen boys who still have some questionable hygiene habits...

Take out (and especially curb-side pickup) has got to be less risky. I will probably start adding tips to take out orders (we don't usually tip) to help out the businesses.

daniele_ut
03-14-2020, 01:55 PM
We went out last night with some friends for book club but today Utah announced its first case of community spread and it is an employee at a bar and grill in Park City. I’m wary now.

ETA: I just saw petesgirl posted about this above. Glad I’m not the only one concerned about eating out now.

hellokitty
03-14-2020, 02:03 PM
We will still get take out or stuff to go, but I don't think we will be going to restaurants, unless it is a very slow period and there are very few people.

scrooks
03-14-2020, 02:40 PM
Is it silly to worry about whether or not the people making the food are sick? I don't want to hurt local restaurants but I feel like you could get sick from people handling your food. I've seen a lot of people on facebook advocating to buy restaurant gift cards during this time if you arent comfortable eating out.

ahisma
03-14-2020, 05:42 PM
We are not doing take out. We are buying gift cards from local restaurants to spend when it is safe to do so.

marinkitty
03-14-2020, 06:31 PM
Cooking at home is clearly the best. If you want to support local businesses, you can buy gift cards now and use them later when things return to normal. If you aren't going to cook, delivery is best and have them leave it on your porch. Next best is take out. And eating in at a restaurant probably isn't a good idea. This article (which I shared on the other thread about social distancing) really helped me get my head around where the line is. It's pretty much stay home except for truly essential things and keep contact to your household only.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

StantonHyde
03-15-2020, 12:11 PM
We ate out Saturday night at a small local place. It was very nice to go. We usually do date night 2-3 times a month. We did skip going to a movie after dinner.

KrisM
03-15-2020, 03:55 PM
I've wondered too. We don't ever go out to eat, unless on vacation. But, I thought maybe take out to support the local places and people who work there. I've heard about the gift card, but do you also tip the servers since they make so little with out the tip? Buying a $50 gift card gives the restaurant money, but skipping the $10 tip to the server doesn't help her.

KpbS
03-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Ohio governor closes all bars and restaurants—except for carry-out and delivery. https://radio.wosu.org/post/coronavirus-ohio-dewine-closes-restaurants-and-bars-ohio?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr#stream/0

PZMommy
03-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Illinois has also closed all except for carry out and drive through.

Chick fil a is going to drive through only as well.

essnce629
03-16-2020, 04:06 AM
Los Angeles closed all restaurants, except for take out, starting at midnight tonight.

billysmommy
03-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Massachusetts also has closed all restaurants and bars except for take-out and delivery. Restaurants that don’t usually deliver are able to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westwoodmom04
03-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Same for Maryland, really glad to see this before Saint Patrick’s day.

KrisM
03-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Michigan too, starting at 3pm today.

carolinamama
03-16-2020, 12:47 PM
I suspect that many (most?) states will close restaurants and bars. And thank goodness. I cannot believe how many people were out Saturday night hanging out in large crowds. I know because they posted on social media, not because we were out of our house.

I've also heard that many college students in our state didn't head home last week but rather headed to the beach in droves and filled the bars there this weekend. I don't even think it's a matter of parents not talking to their kids about it when I know several people who say they don't want to stop living their lives. UGH.

carolinamama
03-16-2020, 12:47 PM
I suspect that many (most?) states will close restaurants and bars. And thank goodness. I cannot believe how many people were out Saturday night hanging out in large crowds. I know because they posted on social media, not because we were out of our house.

I've also heard that many college students in our state didn't head home last week but rather headed to the beach in droves and filled the bars there this weekend. I don't even think it's a matter of parents not talking to their kids about it when I know several people who say they don't want to stop living their lives. UGH.

AnnieW625
03-16-2020, 03:27 PM
I ate out all weekend in Portland, OR (local brew pub, Subway, local brunch place, and at the airport) and I thought everyone did a great job at social distancing. I am headed to a local Subway right now to get food for lunch this week in case my normal lunch go tos aren’t available at the store and tbh it makes sense to make a single trip vs. potentially a trip everyday.

ETA: the Subway I went to in Orange County, CA had tables put away and had the chips behind the counter. I am okay with that.

Starbucks put away all of their tables as well when I drove by one this AM as well.

ang79
03-16-2020, 03:36 PM
Add PA to the list of restaurant closures, as well as other non-essential stores (groceries and pharmacies will still be open).

smilequeen
03-16-2020, 04:09 PM
We will definitely use take out or delivery. Most likely delivery with leave at the door option. I want to support local businesses. I feel really awful for small business owners right now.