PDA

View Full Version : Is your community exercising Social Distancing?

ckso
03-15-2020, 02:42 AM
Im in Los Angeles. Schools, theme parks, zoo, libraries, museum and events are all closed.

My daughter’s best friend had a bday party at her house today with 10 girls. The mom said it’s no big deal and her house is “cleaner” than school (which just ended yesterday). I said we should be exercising social distance and it doesn’t seem like a bday party is a great idea. She even plan to have a food/snack spread out for the kids to self serve.

I decided not to let her go but I was the only one of the 10 families that didn’t go. I plan to stay home and not go anywhere that would put us close to anyone. DH luckily can work from home too and he’s going out only if we need essential items or groceries.

But at the same time, I see people are still out shopping at malls, going to movies, going out for dinner, etc. and commenting on fb how nice it is that traffic is light and there’s no wait at restaurants.

So...it makes me wonder if I am taking the social distance recommendation too far?

And is your community exercising social distancing?

Globetrotter
03-15-2020, 02:58 AM
That’s frustrating! it’s not a vacation..
After Reading more, I’ve decided we are going to take this seriously and stay home except for essential stuff. DS is really upset at me because I won’t let his friends come over. They did come over today and I made them all wash their hands and stuff but I found it very stressful. I decided we will stop socializing in person for a few weeks, except for walking with a friend. My book club will be going virtual for now!
I did order delivery from our favorite restaurant and Washed my hands and tried to be careful about the packaging and transferred it to our own containers afterwards.

HannaAddict
03-15-2020, 05:45 AM
Im in Los Angeles. Schools, theme parks, zoo, libraries, museum and events are all closed.

My daughter’s best friend had a bday party at her house today with 10 girls. The mom said it’s no big deal and her house is “cleaner” than school (which just ended yesterday). I said we should be exercising social distance and it doesn’t seem like a bday party is a great idea. She even plan to have a food/snack spread out for the kids to self serve.

I decided not to let her go but I was the only one of the 10 families that didn’t go. I plan to stay home and not go anywhere that would put us close to anyone. DH luckily can work from home too and he’s going out only if we need essential items or groceries.

But at the same time, I see people are still out shopping at malls, going to movies, going out for dinner, etc. and commenting on fb how nice it is that traffic is light and there’s no wait at restaurants.

So...it makes me wonder if I am taking the social distance recommendation too far?

And is your community exercising social distancing?

People are not very smart sometimes. We live in a community that takes it pretty seriously but still had some parents last week vocally protesting it was overblown and one was a nurse. Now she’s all miss
Social distancing on FB. We’ve been home without leaving for a week. Kids actually love online school week one, the older ones like zoom conferences online and getting their work done more quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥
03-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Not as much as they should be! There are now 2 confirmed cases in our town (7 in our county), schools are closed next week, and people are still having their kids go to movie theaters, playdates, etc because they think Lysol wipes will solve everything. annoying. and yes, they act like it's overblown and media hype.

i would have not let my kid go to the playdate either. none of us are at risk but it just seems so incredibly irresponsible.
dd's birthday party was last weekend...i'm glad we had it then. if it had this weekend we would have to indefinitely postpone it.

KrisM
03-15-2020, 09:04 AM
Mostly, yes. I've heard of a few birthday parties canceled. People are still grocery shopping and doing some restaurants, but mostly carry out so that the small restaurants survive this. We don't ever eat out, but might do carryout to support. I did go to the library yesterday before they closed down indefinitely so that we could have more books here, including some AP study guides for DS1. I will be curious how it goes during the week since that is the first non-school day that isn't the weekend.

TwinFoxes
03-15-2020, 09:08 AM
I feel like most people here are. Just from reactions on our neighborhood FB page when the neighborhood troll posted how this was all over-blown yada-yada-yada. None of my friends are going out. We have a our pool board meeting today and we're doing it via Zoom. Only 10 of us are on the board, so we easily could have had it somewhere private. My kids aren't going anywhere, and neither am I.

No attractions here are open. But on a FB group I'm now in, someone posted a picture of the long line at the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. All the other museums are closed, but the LB is run by the National Park Service, so it's open. The person who posted, a park ranger, was like WTAF? He said they were doing their best to wipe down railings etc, but there was no social distancing going on at all.

carolinacool
03-15-2020, 09:46 AM
i can't tell. I ran out to Target, the grocery store and Home Depot yesterday. I work in internal comms, and thanks to a hellacious week of COVID-19 communications AND putting on a virtual quarterly financial meeting, I had no time until yesterday to go where I needed to go. All the stores seemed normally busy -- maybe Target was a little less so. I passed some kids who were playing soccer in the neighborhood park with their parents watching. DH picked up food last night, and while this particularly place was pretty dead, he said the parking lots were full at a couple of other restaurants.

DH is out running around trying to find ground beef. He finally hit the jackpot at the third story. I don't think we plan to go anywhere else today. Or the next few days, although DH might go to the office.

ETA: Oh, And DS and I will go to his school tomorrow. The governor has closed all schools for two weeks, but our county is letting kids come back to pick up anything they left there (books, medicines, etc).

gatorsmom
03-15-2020, 10:05 AM
I think so, yes. We just got home yesterday from Colorado (where we narrowly avoided the ski resort closures). Based on notices from our usual haunts, most places are closing or increasing their cleaning schedules and putting policies in place encouraging social distancing. My daughter’s dance school is closing with the public school closings but it has dance practice in small groups tomorrow night. They plan on doing a live-streaming event in lieu of their large dance competition that was canceled. That will be her last night extracurricular activity for awhile. My older boys’ play is canceled. It would be nice if the kids could perform it alone on stage and live stream it for families and record it. I’m sure parents would pay money to buy a copy of the recording.

For the first time in 10 years, I received an email from as Schwan’s Food Deliveries with their meal promotions of the week. Pretty enterprising on their end. I bet lots of people would be happy to have pre-made frozen meals delivered as long as they arent price-gauging.

Im still going to my hair appointment on Tuesday and mammogram afterwards and the kids are still going to get haircuts but I’ll make sure we all limit our touching and stay away from other people.

TwinFoxes
03-15-2020, 10:19 AM
For the first time in 10 years, I received an email from as Schwan’s Food Deliveries with their meal promotions of the week. Pretty enterprising on their end. I bet lots of people would be happy to have pre-made frozen meals delivered as long as they arent price-gauging.

Schwan's is not common here, but I bet they get an uptick in business! I bet the same for places like Blue Apron etc.

mommy111
03-15-2020, 10:29 AM
I think so. Most kids in our school (like 60%) were absent Friday even though it was a school day. People are still going grocery shopping, but restaurants are pretty empty. I don’t even order out because who knows who coughed into the food......

Twoboos
03-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Trying to but I keep hearing reports that the basketball courts by the HS are swarmed with kids (MS-colege) at all times!

I am trying to keep everyone home, although I did let DD1 go to a friends house with 2 other girls. Probably the last time that will happen. I turned down plans last night telling my friends I was working on flattening the curve. ;) (But really, WTH were they doing planning to go out?!)

ezcc
03-15-2020, 10:49 AM
I would say not really- my high school ds reports that many of his friends are still going away (this was his scheduled spring break) international trips cancelled but people still going to Florida, SC, VA. I have heard the bars downtown have been packed, and lots of restaurants pretty busy as well. I haven't left home since Thursday but will probably hit the grocery store this week. I am kind of a homebody anyway so it's no great sacrifice- I let DS go for a walk with his girlfriend on Friday, but she is leaving town. Fortunately my kids get along pretty well and are fairly resourceful at finding things to play together but I know this will get old pretty soon. I expect DD will want to get together with friends soon and I am not sure whether I will let her or not, they can FaceTime, play video games online together- not sure this is such a need.

marymoo86
03-15-2020, 10:53 AM
I would say not really- my high school ds reports that many of his friends are still going away (this was his scheduled spring break) international trips cancelled but people still going to Florida, SC, VA. I have heard the bars downtown have been packed, and lots of restaurants pretty busy as well. I haven't left home since Thursday but will probably hit the grocery store this week. I am kind of a homebody anyway so it's no great sacrifice- I let DS go for a walk with his girlfriend on Friday, but she is leaving town. Fortunately my kids get along pretty well and are fairly resourceful at finding things to play together but I know this will get old pretty soon. I expect DD will want to get together with friends soon and I am not sure whether I will let her or not, they can FaceTime, play video games online together- not sure this is such a need.

Similar here - such uproar about schools being in but adults are still not changing habits from what I can tell. I expect kids to be out in full force after a couple of days of being home so closing schools will be useless as doesn't seem anyone knows what social distancing is.

We plan to do some outdoor hikes, playing in the yard of course, maybe get together with a friend's kids that like to play tennis as well since that's a good activity not requiring close contact (will forgo the hand shake!).

westwoodmom04
03-15-2020, 10:58 AM
I expect the next phase of restrictions to start rolling out today/tomorrow, addressing stores, gyms, bars etc. . After clear people lack self restraint to do on their own. Bars will be closed and restaurants limited to take out or half capacity for distancing. Event size allowed will be shrunk to 50. City of Hoboken, town in no with lots of young singles/couples, just instituted a cirfew beginning at 10pm and ending at 5 am for everyone not working during those hours.

KrisM
03-15-2020, 11:09 AM
I expect the next phase of restrictions to start rolling out today/tomorrow, addressing stores, gyms, bars etc. . After clear people lack self restraint to do on their own. Bars will be closed and restaurants limited to take out or half capacity for distancing. Event size allowed will be shrunk to 50. City of Hoboken, town in no with lots of young singles/couples, just instituted a cirfew beginning at 10pm and ending at 5 am for everyone not working during those hours.

Yesterday, our county put out a notice that most businesses should reduce capacity by 50%. Exceptions include grocery stores, etc. But restaurants, gyms, etc should reduce.

hellokitty
03-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Honestly, I don't have much of a clue. The only places I have been since Friday have been to grocery stores, and it was mayhem. IDK how restaurants and other activity-based businesses are doing. We've stayed home since the schools announced closures last week as much as possible. I'll have to venture to work tomorrow and per criteria for other similar programs as the one I am in, we will probably make the decision to cancel classes for our program for at least 3 weeks.

NCGrandma
03-15-2020, 11:54 AM
I’m not a good judge of the broader community, because I live at a CCRC that can be as open or as self-contained as circumstances dictate. Right now most of our on-campus group events are cancelled and outside visitors are more restricted than usual (e.g., no outside visitors in the Dining Room). Our Health Center and Assisted Living buildings have adopted the same restrictions recommended for most nursing homes and medical facilities. Sadly I can’t visit a close friend who lives in the Health Center. Otherwise, behavior varies. Some of us are staying closer to our apartments and walking outdoors, and using the ubiquitous hand sanitizer dispensers. I do give a mental eye roll when I see groups of my neighbors huddled around a card table playing mah jongg (I couldn’t resist asking if they had disinfected each of the tiles...)

When I’ve gone to grocery and drugstore, I’ve been surprised at how few people have been there. Guess everyone already stocked up, or are still at work. Next week is likely to be really different with so many places closed.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

chlobo
03-15-2020, 12:52 PM
From what I've seen on social media and heard from friends, people are not taking it seriously. Our State park was very crowded yesterday and someone said they saw a group of 10 kids playing together. All the stores seem crowded. I think people are very shortsighted but I partly blame a lack of leadership from the top. I hope people get on board soon.

I heard a ton of college students took advantage of low fares to FL and went for spring break.

kristenk
03-15-2020, 12:58 PM
We're trying to stay home as much as possible. DD has an animal at the school barn that she must tend, so she's there a couple of times per day. There aren't too many animals at the barn right now so we don't usually see many other people and it's a fairly open space. It seems like a fairly low risk area compared to some others. We're trying to cook more at home but also pick up food from different local places to help support them. It's hard to know what to do. DH can work from home (he typically works from home at least 3 days/week but will now switch to full-time from home). I'm a SAHM. DD was on spring break when her school district made the decision to close for 2 more weeks. We're still trying to figure out how all of this will work.

I've heard a lot of comments about how the closures are overblown. Part of that was b/c I was at the Houston Livestock Show the day it closed down. Talk about a strange experience! DD was able to show her animal but some kids with heifers had just arrived the morning of the closure and had to turn around and get back in line to reload animals to take them back home. It was crazy. A lot of people there were very upset that the show had to close down. I understand the disappointment but I think it was the best decision.

marinkitty
03-15-2020, 01:34 PM
People here seem to be getting onboard fairly quickly but it has been far from perfect implementation.

My stance is that once schools close, social distancing should be taken very seriously. No socializing. Don't go to a communal gym or exercise class. Only essential appointments or errands. Get your outside time in a way that keeps you away from other people. That is what we are doing here. Many people aren't taking it that far but I can already see that day by day the number of people truly keeping people in is increasing. The community members who are taking it seriously are impacting and educating those that don't.

Our schools announced closure Thursday afternoon. By Thursday evening 99% of our family activities had been suspended, canceled or taken online (church, library, community center, park district, sports, arts activities, standarized test prep). The exceptions for our family were driver's ed (from which I kept my son home today and sent an email urging them to reconsider their policy of remaining open), orthodontist (DD lost two brackets and she went to get them put back on), picking up our car from having service (it was already there), taking DS for a pertussis test at our pediatrician because he has a confirmed exposure on his hockey team and has early symptoms, and tomorrow I'm taking our sick cat to the vet. That's it over the past three days but think about how even those "essentials" have potentially exposed us. If you add to that some limited socializing (one on one playdates, go play pick up hockey, go take a pilates class etc) think about how that magnifies the number of potential exposures.

I really feel like we are all experiencing 90% of the pain of social isolation once our kids are out of school. So let's take it 9% further and increase the likelihood that the curve gets flattened and life as we know it can resume as soon as possible.

For places where schools are still open I think distancing still makes some sense but it certainly doesn't need to be taken so far. I am treating Friday as our first day where I feel like my family was reasonably unlikely to have been infected. So two weeks from Friday, I'll have some comfort that we don't have it. Before that I think everyone should assume they are positive and act like it. We are all in this together, after all.

MontrealMum
03-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Yesterday, our county put out a notice that most businesses should reduce capacity by 50%. Exceptions include grocery stores, etc. But restaurants, gyms, etc should reduce.

This is pretty much what's happening here. Many things were already closed. Now bars, cinemas, theatres, sports facilities are closed and restaurants must only be 50% full. International travel brings with it an automatic 14 day quarantine upon return. Schools at all levels are closed. Long term care facilities, retirement homes etc are closed to visitors. Church services are online as gatherings of 250 or more have been banned since Thurs. Anyone 70 or older is advised not to leave their homes.

We're lucky that the snow is starting to melt so we're planning to spend a lot of time outside.

StantonHyde
03-15-2020, 03:41 PM
A ton of stuff is closed. Fortunately, our JCC is not yet closed but they canceled all group fitness classes and their childcare and their pre school. I am going to swim laps today. I ran on the trails yesterday, plenty of people out because that's what people do here--go outside. I will bike outside or on my trainer. We went to dinner last night and it was really nice. Don't know that we will go next weekend. DH worked his first shift as the Covid doctor Friday and tested 3 people, 2 were positive. They had both traveled to hot spots and/or were in high risk groups. He has another shift today. We will see how it goes.

NCGrandma
03-15-2020, 06:15 PM
Here’s an unwelcome headline from tonight’s local news — someone who attended the LEGO convention last weekend at the (large) Raleigh Convention Center has tested positive for COVID19. My first thoughts were all those little pieces and all those kids jostling for position. (But maybe I’m wrong — I’ve never been to such an event...)

Liziz
03-15-2020, 08:27 PM
No, people are not taking it seriously here. The news was actually advertising yesterday that "movie theatres are still open!" -- like it was a good thing.

We have had no (confirmed) cases in our county and I think it's giving people a false sense of security. It really makes it hard to decide how to act......I'm realizing though that if everyone would make the hard choices NOW, we'd really have a chance to keep it from getting bad here.

I should amend my earlier statement and say that there are plenty of people/businesses that are taking it seriously, but I'm just surprised by the number that still aren't. But I live in an area where there's STILL people making claims that this is all a hoax designed to ruin Trump's chances for reelection, so.....

cuca_
03-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Some are, but I am amazed at the amount of people who are not taking it seriously. My kids are on Spring Break right now, but we cancelled our travel plans early last week. We know tons of people who chose to travel, when it was clear that the virus was spreading. Many were traveling to ski resorts, and shortly after getting there, all resorts were closed. I honestly don't get it. Trips can wait and we all need to do our part to mitigate the spread. One of our schools will be closed until at least early April. I hope my younger DCs elementary school closes as well. I honestly do not want my kids around their classmates who have recently spent time on airplanes and areas where the virus is more prevalent than where we live.

DualvansMommy
03-15-2020, 09:59 PM
I’m seeing it on my micro town level, as live in small town of 14K, people are taking it seriously. But on a broader sense with several surrounding towns, no. The mall was packed Friday & Saturday but lot less today. Restaurants busy, Kohl’s, Target etc busy, and even one of my good friends who is currently taking treatment for her cancer is out and about to a winery and restaurant! But libraries and bigger parks are being closed over the weekend.

However, our governor announced this morning that next steps will be announced soon. So it’s my guess malls, shopping centers, bars etc will likely be the next step. Spain is in total lockdown, my friend in Ireland, her son went to Spain last week and got stuck there. Is finally getting home with help of Irish embassy today. We’re just only at the beginning, and that’s not even the hardest part yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

niccig
03-15-2020, 10:03 PM
I work for a school district and schools are closed. DH’s work had 3 plans with the most restrictive being he was to bring his work computer system home. They we’re to start plan 1 tomorrow, but he just got an email saying they’re immediately going to plan 3, work from home. The 3 of us will each be in a separate room working.

ETA I’ve been impressed with the planning by DH’s work. They have about 170 employees and are staggering the times employees are to be onsite to pick up their work station and any work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wencit
03-15-2020, 10:14 PM
We have an extra car that needs to be driven every week to keep it running, so I decided to take it for a spin this evening (didn't get out of my car). I've been seeing tons of posts on FB about flattening the curve, so I thought my community was good about following it. I was apparently wrong. There were plenty of cars in both strip malls near my house. I drove by the outlet mall, and there were many cars there, too. Who goes shopping for non-essentials at a time like this?! Unfortunately, until the governor mandates much stricter protocols, I think people are going to continue to be lackadaisical about social distancing.

sf333
03-15-2020, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, until the governor mandates much stricter protocols, I think people are going to continue to be lackadaisical about social distancing.

I agree 100% and I’m scared to see what it’s going to take for that to happen.

Globetrotter
03-15-2020, 11:54 PM
This Is why a lockdown is essential. Marshall law if you must… some People will not listen! It sounded extreme when Italy did it, but let’s not wait to get to that point. It’s especially concerning that There are still people who believe it’s a media/democratic hoax.

doberbrat
03-16-2020, 12:08 AM
Why would people take it seriously when you see the President's news conference and everyone is crammed onto the stage .... not even shoulder to shoulder... they were angled like a family or class pic. cram them all onto the stage..... and the reporters in the audience - not even sitting every other seat.

ONE local news group had it right - they said we're not going to sit next to each other anymore ... we're going to socially distance too and this is what it looks like.

dhano923
03-16-2020, 12:11 AM
La Mayor just announced that all gyms, bars, nightclubs and movie theaters must close until March 31st, and restaurants can only be takeout/delivery (no dining in).

petesgirl
03-16-2020, 03:25 PM
I don't feel like people in Utah are taking it seriously. Entertainment venues like Top Golf are packed, and so are the grocery stores and restaurants near me. My kids are out of school but the schools are still offering lunch daily (which is nice for kids who can't eat otherwise but does nothing to flatten the curve) and the principal sent out an email today saying that they will be open and would like people to come look through the lost and found this week.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2020, 03:30 PM
I had to go out today on a few errands and crowds were light everywhere (didn't even have to jockey for a space at the gas station). Ds1 thinks we are insane for not letting him have his friends over. It is a challenge to get through to a stubborn senior who is totally missing his friends, school and activities. I know he gets it but he also really feels isolated. I get it. Terrible timing- things should be all fun and games in spring of senior year!

carolinamama
03-16-2020, 04:14 PM
Probably like most places, our community has a spectrum of response. I have talked to people who are taking it as seriously as I am - staying home, kids are not playing with friends nor going to activities that are not canceled - and those that still think it is all overblown. DS1's friend showed up again today to see if DS1 could hang out. We explained to this kid already this weekend that we wouldn't be hanging out with others until this passes. Then the mom sent a snarky text about our family "being all super serious about this social distancing thing". She's obviously still not on board.

carolinacool
03-16-2020, 04:18 PM
My kids are out of school but the schools are still offering lunch daily (which is nice for kids who can't eat otherwise but does nothing to flatten the curve)

I'm all for flattening the curve, but I want hungry children to eat more. Our schools are doing this same thing. They also plan to deliver meals to kids with no transportation, but that hasn't been set up yet.

gymnbomb
03-16-2020, 04:26 PM
I'm all for flattening the curve, but I want hungry children to eat more. Our schools are doing this same thing. They also plan to deliver meals to kids with no transportation, but that hasn't been set up yet.

Our schools are providing boxed breakfast and lunch, drive up and they hand it to you in your car. Assuming they give you a lunch for that day and breakfast for the next morning since pickup times are mostly during lunch time, though it does vary by location.

JustMe
03-16-2020, 04:33 PM
You are smart.

IMHO, most people are not doing enough. In a way, I don't blame them. This is unprecedented within any of our lifetimes, and we are not used to taking such extreme measures.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Our schools are providing boxed breakfast and lunch, drive up and they hand it to you in your car. Assuming they give you a lunch for that day and breakfast for the next morning since pickup times are mostly during lunch time, though it does vary by location.

Same. Kids aren’t congregating together for the meals. Grab and go.

wencit
03-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Well, the SF Bay Area just instituted mandatory shelter in place order starting at midnight tonight, so hopefully more people will take this seriously and stay home!

carolinacool
03-16-2020, 05:58 PM

Just found out our school system is doing this, although I'm unclear if they bring it out or if you go in to pick up.

essnce629
03-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Los Angeles here. Seems like everyone here is staying in their homes. Plus it's been unusually rainy for the past week and CA people hate rain!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

PZMommy
03-16-2020, 07:20 PM
Los Angeles here. Seems like everyone here is staying in their homes. Plus it's been unusually rainy for the past week and CA people hate rain!

I think the rain is keeping people in more than the rules. So much is closed though, that we don’t have many places to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if we follow San Francisco soon.

JamiMac
03-16-2020, 07:59 PM
Yes, very much! I’m north of Dallas in the Frisco area and everything is stopped. There are not any sports, practices or facilities open. Restaurants are moving to drive through services only. Movie theaters are closing and activity places. All If the city rec centers, libraries, parks are closed. The Dallas mayor just closed bars, theaters and restaurants for dining in, so I’m assuming that will be mandated here too. People are taking it seriously. We go to online school tomorrow, for how long, I’m not sure.

DualvansMommy
03-16-2020, 08:31 PM
In NJ, it’s announced all bars, restaurants, movie theaters and casinos are closed indefinitely effective 8pm tonight.

Also, highly suggested we follow the 8pm to 5am curfew. It’s been tough here for the kids cuz we’ve had nice weather all weekend, today included. Tomorrow starts the official online school, so that’ll give us some structure during our days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnnieW625
03-16-2020, 09:14 PM
You are smart.

IMHO, most people are not doing enough. In a way, I don't blame them. This is unprecedented within any of our lifetimes, and we are not used to taking such extreme measures.

Yes to this....I have no idea how to do this and many of us don’t. My sister who is often level headed was up in arms with me that I couldn’t just drop everything, comply and agree that the California governor’s recommendations weren’t enough or why I would be soo stupid to wonder why there is no deadline on the recommend that the self quarantine of the 65+ set should go on (my parents, in laws, and DD2’s god parents are all in this age range and all are active) for as long as it needs to. My sister is 32, single, rents her house, and has a cat. I am 42, have two kids out of school, have a mortgage and a house to sell hopefully this year (otherwise I will be paying rent on another place in August while we wait for this place to sell), and a dog. The only thing I had to really compare this to was 9/11 and as crappy as that was that was a piece of cake. Thankfully I found out my DH’s entire agency is now allowed to work from home for the time being so unless the we get a full county quarantine here in LA or Orange County I will be able to continue to work at my office. I would love everyone realize that those who do things like go to the store and don’t shop for the world to end, or go the gym or whatever they need to do are trying to sort through this whole mess on their own as well.

My sh!t is also way less stressful than others....my current example is I have a coworker who had planned to go home to Canada tomorrow and isn’t sure her mom is going to live through the year and now isn’t sure she will go because she might not be able to come back to the US; she has dual citizenship. I also have a coworker who is most likely going to have to self quarantine if she is let back in from the Philippines as she was there prior to last week and her father passed away suddenly.

God bless everyone.

doberbrat
03-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Just found out our school system is doing this, although I'm unclear if they bring it out or if you go in to pick up.

Ours are curbside outside - you walk up and they hand it to you. Seems mildly risky but at the same time there are many many people who are going to really struggle to feed their kids 2 extra meals a day ..... and that is before having their hours cut, businesses closed etc.

How does shelter in place even work if you need food? medicine etc?

carolinacool
03-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Yes to this....I have no idea how to do this and many of us don’t.

Agreed. I think I'm developing anxiety over this. I get it...for the greater good and all. But it's tough.

AnnieW625
03-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Ours are curbside outside - you walk up and they hand it to you. Seems mildly risky but at the same time there are many many people who are going to really struggle to feed their kids 2 extra meals a day ..... and that is before having their hours cut, businesses closed etc.

How does shelter in place even work if you need food? medicine etc?

You can leave your house to get food, medicine, go to the doctor, and care for a pet assuming taking them on walks) because much of those counties are full of apartments and multi use buildings. I have family, close friends, and FB friends (people from high school) in both Contra Costa, San Mateo, and Alameda counties so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I like that there is a deadline of April 7th.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2020, 09:41 PM
Yes to this....I have no idea how to do this and many of us don’t. My sister who is often level headed was up in arms with me that I couldn’t just drop everything, comply and agree that the California governor’s recommendations weren’t enough or why I would be soo stupid to wonder why there is no deadline on the recommend that the self quarantine of the 65+ set should go on (my parents, in laws, and DD2’s god parents are all in this age range and all are active) for as long as it needs to. My sister is 32, single, rents her house, and has a cat. I am 42, have two kids out of school, have a mortgage and a house to sell hopefully this year (otherwise I will be paying rent on another place in August while we wait for this place to sell), and a dog. The only thing I had to really compare this to was 9/11 and as crappy as that was that was a piece of cake. Thankfully I found out my DH’s entire agency is now allowed to work from home for the time being so unless the we get a full county quarantine here in LA or Orange County I will be able to continue to work at my office. I would love everyone realize that those who do things like go to the store and don’t shop for the world to end, or go the gym or whatever they need to do are trying to sort through this whole mess on their own as well.

My sh!t is also way less stressful than others....my current example is I have a coworker who had planned to go home to Canada tomorrow and isn’t sure her mom is going to live through the year and now isn’t sure she will go because she might not be able to come back to the US; she has dual citizenship. I also have a coworker who is most likely going to have to self quarantine if she is let back in from the Philippines as she was there prior to last week and her father passed away suddenly.

God bless everyone.

That’s why stores and gyms etc are being shut down by officials. People just aren’t getting it that they need to stay put. Cut off options and maybe it’ll become clearer. We all have to sacrifice in order to keep others healthy. Dh has a few days farther along than me on social distancing but I’m caught up now. It’s hard! But important.

AnnieW625
03-17-2020, 12:34 AM
That’s why stores and gyms etc are being shut down by officials. People just aren’t getting it that they need to stay put. Cut off options and maybe it’ll become clearer. We all have to sacrifice in order to keep others healthy. Dh has a few days farther along than me on social distancing but I’m caught up now. It’s hard! But important.

FWIW: my ymca and the three other in our area are closing tomorrow indefinitely except for the childcare programs that they are coordinating with the county department of health services.

fauve01
03-17-2020, 02:52 PM

I'm in a Los Angeles beach community and the beach is packed! despite the rain.

essnce629
03-17-2020, 03:43 PM
I'm in a Los Angeles beach community and the beach is packed! despite the rain.Really? Wow!

squimp
03-18-2020, 03:00 PM
We were told last night our schools will close through April 28. Restaurants have gone to delivery/pickup only, most workplaces are asking people to telework if possible. College town has shut down, no clue when classes will restart.

People locally are generally taking this seriously. Last night our gyms closed completely, and not charging people except a small monthly fee. I thought that was really proactive and helpful. I worry a lot about local small businesses, restaurants and stores are all shutting down. I also worry about everyone's mental health.

I am trying to make it through a week without grocery shopping. Not going to the gym is more challenging for me! We are also spending a lot more time outside walking and stuff while the weather is nice.

Globetrotter
03-18-2020, 03:06 PM
I'm in a Los Angeles beach community and the beach is packed! despite the rain.
Sanjay Gupta was pissed yesterday watching people walking around San Francisco.

Twoboos
03-18-2020, 03:08 PM
They closed all the parks/courts/etc. in our town bc the kids wouldn't stop congregating there. Sigh.

carolinacool
03-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Sanjay Gupta was pissed yesterday watching people walking around San Francisco.

I thought Jake Tapper's head was going to explode. He called out twice a girl/woman who was rollerblading. lol

specialp
03-18-2020, 04:03 PM
I also worry about everyone's mental health.

Same. I started this day in a very down place and I know I can't be the only one.

niccig
03-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Same. I started this day in a very down place and I know I can't be the only one.

I agree. I’m actually a homebody and don’t mind staying home. But know it’s different knowing I have to stay home

ang79
03-18-2020, 04:13 PM
The girls and I have been home since Sunday afternoon (other than taking walks daily around our neighborhood). DH started working from home today so I ventured out to drop something off at a friend's house (at the door) and then take the girls to a local park to walk. I was a bit surprised by how many people were at the park. Most were walking/running on the paths and did well to walk on the other side if passing someone. There were a bunch of teens playing basketball and volleyball though, two playing catch on the baseball field, and I saw kids running around on the playground (didn't get close enough to see how many). There were quite a few cars on the road as well, the highway traffic I crossed over looked like any normal day. We just had our first two confirmed cases in our county in PA and another in a neighboring county, so its here now. Finally got an email this morning that all church activities and services are closed for now, same with our girl scout activities and meetings. And restaurants have gone to delivery or take out only.

carolinacool
03-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Believe me, you're not.

squimp
03-18-2020, 04:27 PM
I agree. I’m actually a homebody and don’t mind staying home. But know it’s different knowing I have to stay home[/url]

Me too, but my kiddo is not. This is one time when we may need to worry a bit more about the extroverts.

bisous
03-18-2020, 04:40 PM
I thought Jake Tapper's head was going to explode. He called out twice a girl/woman who was rollerblading. lol

Oh my gosh, I would think that a person exercising alone would not be spreading the disease! Am I wrong? We take a family walk at least once a day. It’s been really helpful to my sanity!

carolinacool
03-18-2020, 04:50 PM
Oh my gosh, I would think that a person exercising alone would not be spreading the disease! Am I wrong? We take a family walk at least once a day. It’s been really helpful to my sanity!

I think they were concerned there were too many people out, although most folks seemed to ber walking/running alone or maybe in pairs. Tapper seemed upset that a couple was holding hands, but you don't need to social distance from your significant other, do you?

bisous
03-18-2020, 04:56 PM
I think they were concerned there were too many people out, although most folks seemed to ber walking/running alone or maybe in pairs. Tapper seemed upset that a couple was holding hands, but you don't need to social distance from your significant other, do you?

Oh I don’t know. That sounds ok to me. Maybe nobody is following the real rules so they have to totally clear the streets?

carolinacool
03-18-2020, 05:03 PM
Me too, but my kiddo is not. This is one time when we may need to worry a bit more about the extroverts.

It's funny but it's true. DH can literally lie in bed the entire weekend. On the rare weekend day that I don't leave the house (unless I'm sick or it's rainy), I feel awful. During the week is easier because I go to work and then come home to dinner, homework, etc. But at least then I'm leaving the house for work. I told DH Sunday I was feeling anxiety that I've never felt before.

NCGrandma
03-19-2020, 10:36 AM
In one of the more egregious violations of social distancing...a "gentleman’s club" was cited for offering lap dances.

doberbrat
03-19-2020, 12:58 PM
In one of the more egregious violations of social distancing...a "gentleman’s club" was cited for offering lap dances.

Its kind of funny.....

Personally, we're staying out of playgrounds since the virus lives on surfaces and the equipment isnt sanitized. But we're staying outside as much as possible. Biking, walking & rollerblading around. Trying to stay 6ft from people. Washing hands but still staying outside. my house is too small and too depressing to stay inside for days on end. The rain today is about killing me.

I also dont like that every time I wake up with a tickle in my nose or one of us sneezes I immediately think .... is this IT?

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2020, 01:29 PM
The local golf course was full of senior citizens golfing together. :banghead:

petesgirl
03-19-2020, 02:37 PM
The local golf course was full of senior citizens golfing together. :banghead:

I noticed this here too yesterday...Coronavirus, an earthquake, and it was raining yet the golf course wasn't the least bit empty!!