PDA

View Full Version : Ok to go or skip it?

jgenie
03-15-2020, 07:16 AM
I’m scheduled to work at a food bank satellite center tomorrow. There will be 6 - 8 people preparing grocery bags to be handed out later this week. I plan to change clothes and wash my hands when I return. Am I safe to go or should I stay home? We’ve been home since Thursday with me running out to the grocery store early yesterday morning.

dogmom
03-15-2020, 07:38 AM
I’m scheduled to work at a food bank satellite center tomorrow. There will be 6 - 8 people preparing grocery bags to be handed out later this week. I plan to change clothes and wash my hands when I return. Am I safe to go or should I stay home? We’ve been home since Thursday with me running out to the grocery store early yesterday morning.

Well I’m a nurse, so I’m planning to do a lot worse stuff than this.

Go. Keep 6 ft distant. Wash hands. Don’t do it just to keep yourself safe, think of the vulnerable people that might be getting these. Show up early so you can understand the precautions they have put in place and ask questions.

SASM
03-15-2020, 08:30 AM
Go. Keep 6 ft distant. Wash hands. Don’t do it just to keep yourself safe, think of the vulnerable people that might be getting these. Show up early so you can understand the precautions they have put in place and ask questions.
I agree. Keep your distance. Wash your hands. That all so difficult "Don't ouch your face." You are going to help so many by preparing these bags.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2020, 08:49 AM
I would still go.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hillview
03-15-2020, 10:15 AM
I would go too -- thank you for your service

gatorsmom
03-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Definitely go help until you get sick. Do what you can now. You have inspired me to call our local food bank and see if they need more volunteers.

KpbS
03-15-2020, 11:07 AM
I say don’t go. I saw on fb a friend took a youth group to do the same thing last night. There district isn’t closed yet, but I would have rescheduled and not gone.

petesgirl
03-15-2020, 11:54 AM
I think this is a tough one, because my instincts say don't go. But, I read a news article yesterday about how food banks are really struggling right now because SO MANY of their usual volunteers have canceled and they are busier than ever with people trying to stock up right now. I feel like in the end, the greater good would be to go and practice good hygiene before, during, and after.

carolinacool
03-15-2020, 12:04 PM
I think this is a tough one, because my instincts say don't go. But, I read a news article yesterday about how food banks are really struggling right now because SO MANY of their usual volunteers have canceled and they are busier than ever with people trying to stock up right now. I feel like in the end, the greater good would be to go and practice good hygiene before, during, and after.

Right. Our school superintendent said the same thing. Basically, in times like these people normally pull together. And while she understands social distancing, some things can't be be done virtually. In this case, she's talking about supplying meals to needy students and figuring out child care arrangement for those in vulnerable positions. People need to sort food, pack meals, deliver meals, etc. If you reschedule to when things are better, then you've missed the window of need.

I would go and practice good hygiene continually. I know your help will be much appreciated.

NCGrandma
03-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Several of my friends are regular volunteers at local soup kitchens and meals on wheels. Unlike the situation OP described, they have direct contact with clients of these services. For now, they have reluctantly decided to skip going. Even though they’re all healthy, they are in their 70s and have friends who are much older.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

westwoodmom04
03-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Go, the risk is worth the community benefit.

dhano923
03-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Unless you or someone in your household has a compromised immune system, I would go. They need volunteers.

jgenie
03-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Thanks all! I had planned to go with a friend but she wasn’t comfortable going and DH didn’t want DC to go so I was thinking maybe I was the one off base. I went and I’m glad I did. Most of their regular volunteers are elderly and are staying home so they really needed the help. 6 of us made grocery bags for 300 people. Another group in a separate room made kid meal bags but I’m not sure how many. If you have room in your budget, please consider making a donation to your local food pantry. Every little bit helps and your dollar goes so much farther if you let the pantry buy the food.