PDA

View Full Version : Dmv??

bisous
03-15-2020, 03:45 PM
Because I’m such an awesome planner (sarcasm), I totally left my DL renewal until this week. It expires Thursday on my birthday. It looks as if In my state (CA) they’re keeping the DMV open. We are totally socially distancing ourselves and the last place I want to be Is sitting in a room full of strangers for a couple of hours.

Also, DS2 woke up with a dry cough this morning (no fever). If it was merely a matter of inconvenience for me I’d let the license lapse and deal with it but I don’t like to violate the law at all.

They say you can wait outside and come in when you get a text message that you’re wanted.

WWYD?

squimp
03-15-2020, 03:52 PM
I would do the text message thing and wait in my car, unless you feel sick. Lots of hand washing and sanitzer afterward. Use a wipe on the vision tester thing if they have one. I wouldn't want to let my license lapse.

georgiegirl
03-15-2020, 04:02 PM
I would do the text message thing and wait in my car, unless you feel sick. Lots of hand washing and sanitzer afterward. Use a wipe on the vision tester thing if they have one. I wouldn't want to let my license lapse.

Yes to this!

I have to take DD on Wednesday since it’s her birthday and she can get her permit. And in order to sign up for drivers ed, she needs her permit and almost all the spots for this summer are taken. Plus in order to get her school license, she needs her permit for 6 mo. Granted our schools aren’t officially closed yet (we are on spring break this week.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2020, 04:02 PM
The text option seems good. I'd do it.

JElaineB
03-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Can you renew online? https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/dlrbi/dl_top2

Even if you have an expired license for a few days, so what? My husband accidentally drove around with an expired license for so long once he had to take a new driving test! Nothing else bad happened.

Edited to change to official link.

bisous
03-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Can you renew by mail? https://yogov.org/dmv/california/ultimate-guide-to-renewing-ca-drivers-license/

Even if you have an expired license for a few days, so what? My husband accidentally drove around with an expired license for so long once he had to take a new driving test! Nothing else bad happened.

This sounds very promising!! I did want to get a Real ID but I already have a passport so perhaps I can just postpone the Real ID thing? It would eliminate the need for a very unpleasant trip to the DMV

KrisM
03-15-2020, 04:43 PM
I'd do the text appointment. That is all I do here on a normal basis, because even without restrictions, I do not want to sit for a couple of hours waiting to renew my license.

Or do it online. If you have a passport you can use that for flying, so you have time before you need a Real ID for that.

AnnieW625
03-15-2020, 04:49 PM
If you don’t have to do the real ID thing I would pay the extra fee DMV will charge you to pay online and renew or just mail your renewal. If you need the real ID I would just do the texting thing and wait in your car. That seems like an awesome way to deal with the DMV....I would seriously do that the next time I have to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
03-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Is AAA an option? they do renewals & Real ID here. Otherwise I'd let it lapse If its going to bug you, wait in the car and let them text you.

JElaineB
03-15-2020, 09:28 PM
This sounds very promising!! I did want to get a Real ID but I already have a passport so perhaps I can just postpone the Real ID thing? It would eliminate the need for a very unpleasant trip to the DMVYour passport is a Real ID. You can get it added to your license next time. Just renew online. I edited my previous post to include the official California DMV link.

PZMommy
03-16-2020, 01:38 AM
It sounds like the CA dmv may be closing in the next day or two. I’d love to post the article, but I’ve read way too many in the last 12 hours and can’t remember which one I read it in.

DualvansMommy
03-16-2020, 10:40 AM
Our DMVs is closing for next 2 weeks. So I would totally do the text option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnnieW625
03-16-2020, 11:32 AM
It sounds like the CA dmv may be closing in the next day or two. I’d love to post the article, but I’ve read way too many in the last 12 hours and can’t remember which one I read it in.

Well that would be interesting and could cause a lot of jealousy/contention in other state workers especially if they are able to not have to work with pay. This is the last article I can find about using time off due to Covid 19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article241038541.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article241166171.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
03-18-2020, 01:40 PM
Just bumping this up. In my state, because of Coronavirus, appointments are required at our department of transit. I went this morning with DD (because it’s her birthday and she can get her permit). As we walked in, there was a guy restricting access to the building. He asked us a bunch of health questions before he let us in. We were instructed to sit 6+ feet away from anyone. There were only about 4 other parties in the waiting area...and everyone was easily 10+ feet away from each other. The workers cleaned every piece of equipment (the vision testers) after each person. And there was lots of hand sanitizer everywhere. The location we went to opened only a few months ago, so everything was new and clean, and to me, it felt sterile and not germy at all. We were very careful to sanitize after touching anything and to wash our hands thoroughly after coming home. DD is so happy to have her driving permit. I was really hoping it wouldn’t shut down because in order for DD to get her school permit (and drive herself to high school swim practice at 5:30am next fall), she needs her permit for 6 months. And she needs to permit to even sign up for drivers ed, and almost all the summer spots were full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

westwoodmom04
03-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Our dmv parking lots have been converted for drive thru coronavirus testing. Not sure if other states plan to follow.

NCGrandma
03-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Our dmv parking lots have been converted for drive thru coronavirus testing. Not sure if other states plan to follow.

Wow — I hadn’t realized that anyplace was already implementing drive through testing.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

westwoodmom04
03-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Wow — I hadn’t realized that anyplace was already implementing drive through testing.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

They have had it for a few days in Colorado and NY maybe a week or so in Seattle area. Part of the jump in cases this week is increased testing. Still a long way to go though.

erosenst
03-18-2020, 03:22 PM
We were at the DMV yesterday. As of yesterday they are set up for social distancing. Chairs in waiting area are 6 feet apart. Greeter at door makes people wait outside til a chair is available. Ditto waiting for the kiosks - one at a time. Only one person allowed per transaction - I couldn't stand there while DD was getting the paperwork done for her permit. Plenty of hand sanitizer available and we used it.

Guessing it varies by state but was relatively compliant with social distancing here.

AnnieW625
03-18-2020, 04:05 PM
I pm’d you yesterday OP and linked an article from The Sacramento Bee about California not assessing fines for late drivers licenses or registrations.