PDA

View Full Version : Need medical info: Shingrix 2nd dose

kristenk
03-16-2020, 10:37 AM
DH has an appointment to get his second dose of Shingrix tomorrow. DD and I would prefer that he NOT go to the doctor's appointment. It seems as if avoiding the dr office is a good thing right now.

I've looked but can't find anything about the timing of the second shot. I'm sure there has to be some leeway and it doesn't have to specifically be 6 months on the dot, right? Does anyone know anything about the timing of the second Shingrix vaccine? Does he really need to go in tomorrow?

NCGrandma
03-16-2020, 10:47 AM
The CDC recommendation is that the second dose of Shingrix should be received 2-6 months after the first dose. However it notes that if the second dose is more than 6 months later, the whole 2-shot series does not need to be redone.

If you want to wade through the latest CDC info about this vaccine, it’s at
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6703a5.htm

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Liziz
03-16-2020, 10:50 AM
I don't know super specific details about the shot. I'd suggest he call his doctor's office and ask. I understand wanting to avoid contact where possible, but I also think about the fact that in a time where the medical system is going to be over taxed very soon, it's good to do as much as possible to prevent non-COVID19 infection too -- including staying up-to-date on other vaccines. I think that our healthcare system will feel the effects of this for a long time -- much longer than the next month or two.

It is not bad in my area yet, so if it were me, I'd go in now, assuming that it's probably going to get worse around here. If it is already really bad in your area I may make a different choice. It seems like most medical offices are now doing "text to room" situations, where you can wait in your car until they're ready to bring you to the actual room. If that's the case, and he's careful about washing hands right after and not touching his face, I think his risk would be pretty low. That all being said, if the doctor says there's no big deal between waiting another 2-4 months, and that the first dose is already providing some immunity, then no reason not to reschedule.

AnnieW625
03-16-2020, 11:39 AM
As someone who has had at least 4 cases of shingles (and a few other flare ups that doctors have not officially diagnosed because I have not had a rash) and I am only 42 (I had my first at 37) I would tell your dh to go. Sorry I know not a popular opinion but I would rather have a complete vaccine especially if it ends up working because shingles nerve pain can be awful and I would definitely risk it. I haven’t had the first dose yet. I had the last vaccine and it was useless. I will probably check about getting mine at my annual physical this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chlobo
03-16-2020, 06:46 PM
DH has an appointment to get his second dose of Shingrix tomorrow. DD and I would prefer that he NOT go to the doctor's appointment. It seems as if avoiding the dr office is a good thing right now.

I've looked but can't find anything about the timing of the second shot. I'm sure there has to be some leeway and it doesn't have to specifically be 6 months on the dot, right? Does anyone know anything about the timing of the second Shingrix vaccine? Does he really need to go in tomorrow?

Could he possibly ask them to come out of the office to do it? Just to minimize in office exposure?

kristenk
03-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Could he possibly ask them to come out of the office to do it? Just to minimize in office exposure?

He called and talked to them about it. They said that it would be quick, but didn't offer to come out of the office to do it. He actually felt somewhat miserable after the first dose (stayed in bed the rest of the afternoon). I'm really not inclined for him to get the second dose right now, given that info. I know a delay of a month or two isn't ideal, but it seems like the best thing to do right now.

I just found out that there's a presumptive case in the town where the doctor's office is. 5 confirmed cases in our county and lots of reports (on super reliable facebook) of people who think that they have it, but don't qualify for testing.

PZMommy
03-16-2020, 07:14 PM
of people who think that they have it, but don't qualify for testing.

And this is the problem! If people have symptoms they should be tested. At this point there is community spread, so the testing restrictions of traveled outside of the country or in close contact with someone who is positive should no longer be a criteria. The country’s numbers are exponentially higher than what is currently being reported because of the lack of testing.