PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone traveling locally?

KpbS
03-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Several families I know are planning to go camping. Our forecast calls for a lot of rain so that’s less than ideal to me. We had plans to visit my sister and family a couple of states away (driving). I’d love to go, but it seems postponing is the more responsible, yet very unfun and disappointing choice now. FWIW, we aren’t letting the kids have play dates or hang out with friends since this past weekend.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2020, 12:23 PM
I’ve thought about it but unless going somewhere isolated (like the lake house we’d rent), I feel you run the risk of being exposed or exposing others and making things spread. I definitely ruled out anything that would require stops (hotels, food, gas).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
03-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Im going down to the beach to walk tomorrow. I need to get away from the kids for a couple ours. its about 12 miles from my house

MommyAllison
03-17-2020, 12:40 PM
We had planned to drive to visit family over spring break, about 250 miles away. They have cases in their area though, and their state has shut down pretty much everything. A couple weeks ago we decided not to go. Our county doesn't have any cases yet but school is out and we are being asked to limit gatherings, so we are hunkered down at home. The weather is warming up here so we will probably get out to do some hiking very locally but that's about it.

Liziz
03-17-2020, 12:44 PM
We are not. I would be okay doing any sort of local travel that allows for social distancing, but avoid anything else, and definitely avoid anything that involves staying at someone else's house or a hotel, etc. We cancelled spring break trip, which was only about 2 hours away.

I can see camping working just fine -- if you already have the tent and supplies, and you do it by yourself (just your family), that's pretty distanced from others. I would not plan a trip with other families or to a campground that has teeny lots where others would be saying very close to us. Everything I read about social distancing says it's fine to be outside as long as you're keeping a responsible distance.

marinkitty
03-17-2020, 01:13 PM
We are not. We thought about driving to our mountain home (it had been our spring break plan to go - we were originally flying and skiing), but even though we could easily isolate there in our own home, cooking our own meals and bringing most of our initial supplies with us, lots of small destination towns are asking that folks please not visit because it will overwhelm their already limited resources (e.g., groceries, pharmacies, health services) that are needed for their local population, so even though we originally thought it might be a nice change of pace and help put some money into the local economy by resupplying there, we have decided not to go. We will get outside locally as we can here without coming in contact with others for now and otherwise stay at home and keep busy.

mmsmom
03-17-2020, 01:14 PM
All the state park campgrounds shut down here. Only hiking trails and bathrooms are open. I thought about looking for a rental at the beach which is about 3 hours away so we could have some change of scenery and be able to walk on the beach. But I still have some work things scheduled for now so have to wait until everything cancels.

gatorsmom
03-17-2020, 01:20 PM
We plan on going hiking toward the end of the week if the kids have their homework substantially done. It would just be a morning or afternoon hike on a local trail about 5 minutes from our house. After my mammogram this afternoon, I foresee us doing mostly inside activities like some creative cooking, baking, spring cleaning and organizing and then maybe crafting. I’ll encourage the boys to ride bikes, shoot hoops and do skateboard tricks on our driveway (DD prefers to practice Her dance routines inside). But we will pretty much be home.

DH has an office he goes to but he rarely sees clients there. It’s mainly a training facility. He’s been going there to think and stay away from the kids. It’s noisy in here.

pinkmomagain
03-17-2020, 01:32 PM
We are not visiting with anyone and not planning to attend any appointments or stores (if possible).
We are taking walks in the neighborhood, spending time in the backyard. May go to beach or park at some point in future.
We're in NY and sh*t got real.

Globetrotter
03-17-2020, 01:36 PM
I wouldn’t go.
I think a family or solitary walk to the beach is fine, but I wouldn’t leave the state. Things are moving fast and you don’t know what will happen in the next few days. Will you be able to get home? Plus if people move around we will be spreading the virus from one place to the other. I definitely wouldn’t visit others at this time.

StantonHyde
03-17-2020, 02:14 PM
I know people who are camping in remote areas or empty campgrounds and hiking in our national parks. But not leaving the state

carolinamama
03-17-2020, 02:19 PM
No we are not planning to travel. DH talked about camping this weekend with the kids at a lake 30 minutes away. But I doubt we will since I don't love camping and the weather may not be great. We've been taking the dogs on lots of walks around the neighborhood and hanging out in our yard lots. I wouldn't be surprised if stronger lock-downs are imposed as more testing becomes available and we see numbers closer to reality.

jgenie
03-17-2020, 02:29 PM
We originally had planned to take a road trip but DH didn’t love the idea. I’m so glad we didn’t end up going. I would hate to be stuck on the road with all of the food and supply shortages. We’re comfortable at home - plenty to keep us all occupied for a good stretch, a full freezer and fridge, plenty of space to separate if we want, we are not planning to go out. I run early in the morning and have been hiking locally with DC to get out and get fresh air.

StantonHyde
03-17-2020, 03:50 PM
So now the counties in Utah with the national parks have ordered hotels to close and they are not allowing camping on public lands. They are doing this because their local communities are stressed enough for supplies and they can’t handle visitors nor do they want people coming into the communities en masse

Globetrotter
03-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Sf Bay Area regional parks are closed now.

MMMommy
03-17-2020, 10:29 PM
We are in the No Cal (Bay Area) and won't be traveling near or far. We canceled our Spring Break trip to Hawaii (second week of April). With the shelter in place order, we aren't supposed to travel unless it is "essential travel."

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Like marinkitty said, it feels wrong to go to another small community and use their supplies for our vacation...and I was thinking that if one of us came down with something, that tiny hospital doesn't need us there when we have giant ones so close to us.

AnnieW625
03-18-2020, 09:47 PM
If things are somewhat back to normal in mid to late April we will most likely go to San Diego as Dd2 picked this mission for her class project and she gets extra credit for visiting the mission (if her school is even back in session then). Other than that we have no other travel plans. San Diego is a 2 hour drive for us.

I did go to Portland, Oregon last weekend with Dd1 for my sister in law’s baby shower, but that was it for the foreseeable future. Sunday was the day things really started to unravel so I was just happy to be home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksmomtobe
03-19-2020, 10:02 AM
We went to the beach yesterday. It is a little over an hour away in a neighboring state. They have had less cases then we have but have taken similar precautions. It was a beautiful sunny day. We walked the dogs for a bit then picked up take out at a favorite burger spot. All restaurants only doing take out. As some were only doing curbside service I was a bit nervous that we wouldn’t be able to find a bathroom to use (didn’t think we could wait till we got back home and was envisioning peeing outdoors) but they were allowing walk in service. We only saw one other customer and waited outside for our order to be ready. We drove over to the seawall and are in the car. Did a bit of driving in the area as it is close to where I went to college and usually I don’t get the chance to drive around when we head down there. Drove along the coast a bit where friends lived during those days. We also drove to the college itself. Ds a hs Soph interested in maybe going there. I asked him If he wanted to drive around there or head home and he said”might as well drive around there since I have nothing better to do”. We stayed in the car but probably could have walked around as it was pretty deserted. There are doing online classes but dorms are open if needed though it appears they offered refunds so it did not seem that many were on campus and several people appeared to be just getting belongings.