PDA

View Full Version : Would you pull your DC from preschool, or pay 50% to hold a spot?

ourbabygirl
03-17-2020, 07:37 PM
We have 3 options for DD's preschool for the rest of this spring, and need to let them know by noon tomorrow what our plan is.

Her location is only doing childcare for children of medical workers this week, then will be shutting down and only hosting childcare at certain locations. We can move her to one of those locations, but I don't want to risk the germs, and I don't want to keep paying if I'm not working (subbing). Otherwise we can withdraw her completely for the rest of the year (they would've gotten done at the end of May, right before Memorial Day), or pay 50% each month to hold her spot, so they have money to pay their teachers.

We had thought we would pay the 50% to hold her spot, in case this is done in the next month, but now I'm thinking it won't be over for at least a couple of months, so why spend the money? (Our governor cancelled school through the 27th, and it will most likely be extended longer, so as long as schools aren't in session, I won't be subbing and earning money.)
Before all this, DD went two full days (9-3) and one half day.

What would you do?

mnj77
03-17-2020, 07:53 PM
If you had the money to pay the 50% so the teachers could be paid, that would be great, but you're losing income too so you shouldn't feel bad if you can't swing it. I wouldn't count on this being over in the next month by any stretch of the imagination.

PZMommy
03-17-2020, 07:53 PM
How hard would it be to get her in next year or find new care for next year? That answer would determine the choice I would make.

gymnbomb
03-17-2020, 08:16 PM
How hard would it be to get her in next year or find new care for next year? That answer would determine the choice I would make.

Yes, this. I would not plan on sending her back this year, and would only pay to hold her spot if you need to do that to ensure she has a spot next fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liziz
03-17-2020, 08:47 PM
If you need care next year and like where she goes, I'd pay the 50% to keep the spot, if at all possible. It's hard to find good preschools in most areas and the sad reality is that all these closures could push some out of business.

ourbabygirl
03-17-2020, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry, I should've clarified, she'll be starting K in the fall, and we won't be having her in any preschool or childcare over the summer...

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2020, 09:08 PM
I’d just pull her then. No hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mommy111
03-17-2020, 09:27 PM
I would pull her, the only situation in which you need her in there is if you need the spot for next year which it sounds like not

PZMommy
03-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Given that she will be going to kinder next year, then I’d pull her and not pay for a spot.

ourbabygirl
03-17-2020, 10:37 PM
O.k.! Thanks, Everyone!
If things improve and school starts back up again, I can see if they have any spots available, and if not, she can just have play dates on the days her friends aren't at preschool. Such a bummer, though.