PDA

View Full Version : Sure, let's add an earthquake to the mix

petesgirl
03-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Woke up to a 5.7 earthquake here in Utah. Yay.

mommy111
03-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Woke up to a 5.7 earthquake here in Utah. Yay.
Wow! Be safe!!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Yikes!

My mom was just telling me about the triple whammy of 1918- WW1, Spanish Flu and SF earthquake.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
03-18-2020, 11:06 AM
How is everything holding up? Around here nothing would be damaged at that magnitude but if I recall correctly you guys don’t build with earthquakes in mind?

craftysierra
03-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Hugs to all involved. Having grown up in earthquake country I hope all aftershocks are small and people are able to relax.

petesgirl
03-18-2020, 11:24 AM
How is everything holding up? Around here nothing would be damaged at that magnitude but if I recall correctly you guys don’t build with earthquakes in mind?

I don't know about the building code stuff, but it would be completely ridiculous if we didn't build with earthquakes in mind since we live on a giant fault line!
There are power outages in the epicenter city, which is about 20 miles away from me. The SLC airport is closed because of damge to the control tower, and my husband's UPS center has power out and everyone loading trucks this morning was evacuated.

You know, though, this is the best time for it to happen. Not as many people stuck at work and school and hopefully most people will have their basic needs met because of Coronavirus stock up.

bisous
03-18-2020, 11:49 AM
I don't know about the building code stuff, but it would be completely ridiculous if we didn't build with earthquakes in mind since we live on a giant fault line!
There are power outages in the epicenter city, which is about 20 miles away from me. The SLC airport is closed because of damge to the control tower, and my husband's UPS center has power out and everyone loading trucks this morning was evacuated.

You know, though, this is the best time for it to happen. Not as many people stuck at work and school and hopefully most people will have their basic needs met because of Coronavirus stock up.

Oh my gosh! It does sound awful but you’re right that most people are home and stocked up! I dont think I realized Utah was on a fault line. I’m thinking of all those basements that I’m so jealous of...I always thought the reason we can’t have them is earthquakes! I hope the earth stays very quiet!!

StantonHyde
03-18-2020, 12:49 PM
I was just coming to post this. I am at the hospital command center. We were joking that next it will be frogs falling on the roof. And then the Angel Moroni on top of the temple--his trumpet fell off. I waiting for the 4 horseman to ride by....The bigger issues is broken gas lines--we have actually had to close some buildings for that. Otherwise, everything is fine. There is damage downtown to older buildings but not newer ones. And yes, we do build to earthquake codes!!!! Especially where I work because we are right on the fault line. My house shook, but no broken lines, nothing fell off shelves. My kids got some email saying that there will be another bigger quake and to be prepared. sigh. I had them pack bags for themselves and the dog. DH is home but sleeping because he works tonight and the kids don't want to wake him. It is bizarre to go from Social Distancing to being shoulder to shoulder and talking on radios.

Globetrotter
03-18-2020, 01:50 PM
Just Yesterday I was telling dd I hope we don’t have an earthquake on top of all this – we are in the SF bay area – and she said this is probably a good time because everyone’s at home and fully stocked! And there you go… I hope you all stay safe and get power back soon.

JustMe
03-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Oh my! I hope everyone is okay! As some here know, I am in Oregon and this has been a fear.

petesgirl
03-18-2020, 02:43 PM
I was just coming to post this. I am at the hospital command center. We were joking that next it will be frogs falling on the roof. And then the Angel Moroni on top of the temple--his trumpet fell off. I waiting for the 4 horseman to ride by....The bigger issues is broken gas lines--we have actually had to close some buildings for that. Otherwise, everything is fine. There is damage downtown to older buildings but not newer ones. And yes, we do build to earthquake codes!!!! Especially where I work because we are right on the fault line. My house shook, but no broken lines, nothing fell off shelves. My kids got some email saying that there will be another bigger quake and to be prepared. sigh. I had them pack bags for themselves and the dog. DH is home but sleeping because he works tonight and the kids don't want to wake him. It is bizarre to go from Social Distancing to being shoulder to shoulder and talking on radios.

So I completely forgot about checking gas lines--I was laying in bed and my kids were asleep, so my first worry was whether DS1 was still on the top bunk of his bunk bed!! I just got a call from the PT office up that street that my appointment tomorrow is cancelled because of a gas leak. Now I'm worried!! I know sometimes you can smell a leak, and hear hissing--what else can I check for? The gas company voice recording said they aren't even taking calls right now.

gatorsmom
03-18-2020, 02:49 PM
So I completely forgot about checking gas lines--I was laying in bed and my kids were asleep, so my first worry was whether DS1 was still on the top bunk of his bunk bed!! I just got a call from the PT office up that street that my appointment tomorrow is cancelled because of a gas leak. Now I'm worried!! I know sometimes you can smell a leak, and hear hissing--what else can I check for? The gas company voice recording said they aren't even taking calls right now.

Yikes, that’s a lot to be dealing with right now. a stay safe! Natural gas smells like rotten eggs, doesn’t it? I thought I remembered that they add the smell to the gas to make people aware when there’s a leak.

3isEnough
03-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Yikes, that’s a lot to be dealing with right now. a stay safe! Natural gas smells like rotten eggs, doesn’t it? I thought I remembered that they add the smell to the gas to make people aware when there’s a leak.

Yes, gas is odorless so they add the smell to the gas. You should be able to smell a gas leak and you can also wipe some soapy water on the area where you suspect a leak - if it bubbles then gas is escaping the lines. So sorry you're having to deal with this!

StantonHyde
03-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Yes, gas smells like Sulphur. They add that scent to it. Walk outside next to your gas meter to see if you smell anything. I think its sort of luck of the draw honestly--we had areas in our healthcare system that are older and are just fine while newer facilities had leaks. So it doesn't matter so much about the age of your house or neighborhood.

petesgirl
03-18-2020, 04:47 PM
I can't smell anything anywhere or hear any hissing near the gas line. Plus I've started the car up and used several different appliances, etc and nothing has exploded yet...ha ha. I'm keeping a kitchen window cracked open for now just in case. We do have a big crack across our patio that wasn't there before and I'm sure something happened to the floorboards in mine and DH's bedroom because there is a bit of a bump in one area. We had a 4.6 aftershock about an hour ago and I pulled DS into a door frame and now he is totally freaked out. These poor kids are dealing with so much right now.

StantonHyde
03-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Remember it’s better to go under a table or for DS to under his bed. Tonight—put your shoes in a bag and tie it to your bed and put a flashlight or headlamp in the bag too. If you have anything hanging over beds, take that down. That’s the best we can do!!!

petesgirl
03-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Remember it’s better to go under a table or for DS to under his bed. Tonight—put your shoes in a bag and tie it to your bed and put a flashlight or headlamp in the bag too. If you have anything hanging over beds, take that down. That’s the best we can do!!!

Yes! We are going through each room, looking for safe spaces and re evaluating our wall decor! Thankfully our bedrooms are all pretty safe.