PDA

View Full Version : Thanks you Gatorsmom and Dogmom! COVID19 prep

California
03-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Wanted to take a moment to thank GatorsMom and DogMom for starting threads about preparing for the Covid19 virus. I'm sure I'm not the only one who picked up preparation efforts after reading the conversations that you initiated and all the articles that were shared by many posters on here.

While we've been getting news that life has temporarily shifted in ways we'd never imagined- no school, no church services, no sports practices or meets, no class to teach for me, no office to go to for DH, close family working constant overtime in hospitals, all DS's college visits/spring break trip canceled, no social gatherings- I'm very grateful that we had our home all set and didn't need to scramble. (And if you are reading this and you did have to scramble, no judgement- the swiftness and expanse of the shutdowns caught us all by surprise!)

XOXO- from a distance!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Yes, thankful for the advice to get stocked up and think about how things will work. I hear everything here first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
03-18-2020, 01:05 PM
Yes!!! BBB is my gauge for how concerned to be about certain news stories, and when things started to ramp up here, I knew it was time!!

Thank you!

wencit
03-18-2020, 01:14 PM
DH thanked me for having the house well stocked at a time like this. Love having such a thoughtful, well-informed board to turn to.

Another plus about this whole Covid-19 situation, is it just me, or does it seem like this board is more active than it's been in a while? I haven't been checking BBB very often, but it was the first place I came to when I started hearing about the coronavirus. It's like coming back to old friends I haven't seen in a while!

jawilli4
03-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Definitely thankful, too! Was able to stay ahead of the rush because of those threads. You all are the best!

robinsmommy
03-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Yes, thank you! It felt good to hear that others were concerned. I started prepping on the early side and my family thought I was nuts. When I talk about the likely timeline for all this to play out, they still do.

Having community is so meaningful at times like these.

bisous
03-18-2020, 01:37 PM
DH thanked me for having the house well stocked at a time like this. Love having such a thoughtful, well-informed board to turn to.

Another plus about this whole Covid-19 situation, is it just me, or does it seem like this board is more active than it's been in a while? I haven't been checking BBB very often, but it was the first place I came to when I started hearing about the coronavirus. It's like coming back to old friends I haven't seen in a while!

I think it’s more active too!

carolinacool
03-18-2020, 01:38 PM
Yes! I was on the board late one Saturday night -- I think Feb. 22? Posters who live out West talked about stores being cleared of essentials. I hopped on Target's website, and it appeared that most of the Purell was gone here. I was able to order three small bottles of Target-brand hand sanitizer for pick up the next day. By the time I got there Sunday afternoon to pick up, the shelves were cleared and they haven't had any since. If I hadn't been on here, I wouldn't have even thought about it.

ETA: To be clear, I did get my order.

Globetrotter
03-18-2020, 01:38 PM
Yes!!! I too was able to slowly get stocked, without going crazy or hoarding, and that is definitely thanks to these BBB posts. Whenever I went out, I bought a few extra non perishables, instead of buying a bunch at one time, to reduce the supply issues. I got that idea from these threads.
I too find that in times of adversity we all come together, here and in other groups.

I live in CA, but even my DH thought I was nuts a couple weeks ago so I just did it behind his back. Now he’s glad…

keh602
03-18-2020, 01:44 PM
I agree. Thank you!! I appreciated the well thought-out posts here that helped me prepare calmly rather than in a panic.

Globetrotter
03-18-2020, 01:47 PM
I also Think that we were attracted to BBB in the first place because we are researchers and planners, so I’ve gotten so many great ideas from here over the years.

Globetrotter
03-18-2020, 01:48 PM
I also Think that we were attracted to BBB in the first place because we are researchers and planners, so I’ve gotten so many great ideas from here over the years.

gatorsmom
03-18-2020, 02:04 PM

I’m so thankful you all are here. It was my friend in Italy who told me to prepare and immediately I thought of everyone here. I wasn’t sure if he was off his rocker, so I thought I would run it by all of you. The thread here started not just by me and Dogmom, as well as the articles linked by many posters, have been so helpful. Having you parents around to discuss this with has helped me keep a cool head and make smart decisions. So THANKS right back at you all!

JustMe
03-18-2020, 02:15 PM
Thank you!

This is yet another time/situation when our BBB friends are so important!

mikala
03-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Thank you, I'm grateful to the group too. You all were sounding the alarm before people were taking it seriously locally so I was able to get in a Costco run for pantry staples, buy a couple extras of things during weekly sales, refresh our expired meds, etc. before the rush. I'm now having anxiety about actually breaking into the things I stashed away like a squirrel but that's a me problem....

mommy111
03-18-2020, 02:50 PM
the BBB is the reason I have hand sanitizer today...amongst many other things. Thank you!!

carolinamama
03-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Another big thank you. It was the discussions on this board that made me pay closer attention to the situation and thus be much better prepared over a week or two instead of scrambling. It felt like I was a few days ahead of the mainstream thinking and unfortunately I was right. But at least prepared.

Not prepared to be a healthcare worker on the front lines whether I like it or not but that's a whole other issue I'm struggling with.

Kindra178
03-18-2020, 05:01 PM
Seriously!! I wasn’t sure who started those posts but I have been super prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kindra178
03-18-2020, 05:02 PM
I’m so thankful you all are here. It was my friend in Italy who told me to prepare and immediately I thought of everyone here. I wasn’t sure if he was off his rocker, so I thought I would run it by all of you. The thread here started not just by me and Dogmom, as well as the articles linked by many posters, have been so helpful. Having you parents around to discuss this with has helped me keep a cool head and make smart decisions. So THANKS right back at you all!

How is your friend in Italy doing? Things appear to be getting drastically worse daily.

erosenst
03-18-2020, 05:06 PM
Add me to the list who stocked up 'a bit more at a time' largely because of this board. And it's timely - just had DH pick up a bottle of generic Tylenol that was in stock where he needed to be, but not near us.

pinkmomagain
03-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Here! Here! I was definitely more prepared because they got me thinking of it! Thank you!

niccig
03-18-2020, 05:55 PM
Yes thanks for those posters a few weeks back. I went out and got stocked on most things 2 weeks ago - not hoarding, just got extra few things. I tend to use things up before I go shopping so I’m glad I took all your advice. I am rationing the TP (told everyone to go easy on number of squares used), but we should be ok with the amount we have.

I went out yesterday to get some produce, milk and was surprised at bare shelves. I had seen the pictures posted online, but some aisles are bare.

I found trader joes to have the most variety as they are limiting people to 2 of same item, and they had plenty of fresh produce, cheese, milk etc

NCGrandma
03-18-2020, 06:10 PM
I really appreciate all the useful info here about preparations. (I still get all the emails from the med school etc — it’s reassuring to know that the hospital and clinics are preparing but what I really need are the practical suggestions for home.)

An interesting experience this afternoon—I was at CVS picking up Rx refills, and one of the pharmacists was trying to help a rather deaf customer. I was startled to hear, in a very loud voice, "your oxycodone is ready now" — yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

daisyd
03-18-2020, 06:11 PM
I wanted to chime in with my thanks. I'm grateful to this community for the timely alert and ongoing support. In my wildest imagination I couldn't have foreseen this. I had seen signs weeks ago- people buying in bulk at my local Costco (toilet paper, of course) but hadn't realized what was driving this until I saw the threads here.

craftysierra
03-18-2020, 06:38 PM
I appreciate the community here too. My house is prepared, but the reality of grocery shopping during social distancing is daunting. Especialy for a family of 6.

gatorsmom
03-18-2020, 07:48 PM
How is your friend in Italy doing? Things appear to be getting drastically worse daily.

You know, I haven’t heard from him in 4 days. He’s a friar in a religious order and the order begs for their food. They do work in the community for charity. I told him to forward me his bank account number because they are having a hard time getting food and medical supplies. I need to email him or his mom who lives in my town.

dogmom
03-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Well, my report is I have just spent two days in refresher ICU a prep since I’ve been in the recovery room for three years. We cancelled our elective surgeries, plan to use the 6 recovery rooms we have for extra patients, closing hospital off to visitors as of tomorrow, and trying to have plan A through Z set, knowing it’s going to change. I’m grateful I work somewhere with a lot of resources. The plan is to take the sickest patients from our affiliated hospitals and the less sick ones will be in the community ones. We have ties to China and Italy and trying to get ready from their experience. Our Covid 19 patients numbers quadrupled in one day. Right now it just feels like we are boarding up windows before a hurricane that is going to last for months.

The people I really feel for our the care providers in long term care and skilled nursing facilities. They don’t have as many resources, families aren’t visiting, and their residents are so at risk. If you live near one think of doing something nice for the workers there.

California
03-18-2020, 10:54 PM
Dogmom it really does feel like a hurricane is coming. Thinking of you and your family as you get ready for a long stretch of hard and stressful work.

The people I really feel for our the care providers in long term care and skilled nursing facilities. They don’t have as many resources, families aren’t visiting, and their residents are so at risk. If you live near one think of doing something nice for the workers there.

Thank you for this idea. I volunteer with an organization that brings therapy animals into residential care facilities, and obviously all visits are on hold. We have a huge team of volunteers and we're networked into over sixty facilities. Going to have to think about this and what we could do to boost morale without spreading germs!

essnce629
03-18-2020, 11:17 PM
Thank you, I'm grateful to the group too. You all were sounding the alarm before people were taking it seriously locally so I was able to get in a Costco run for pantry staples, buy a couple extras of things during weekly sales, refresh our expired meds, etc. before the rush.

Yes, I was able to get all my shopping done before the shelves were empty and the lines were 2-3 hours long! DH was also able to make a last minute Costco trip basically the day before everything ramped up.

the BBB is the reason I have hand sanitizer today...amongst many other things. Thank you!!

Over the years I've slowly built up my earthquake kit, sometimes after posts we've had here in regards to big earthquakes and natural disasters in other parts of the world. I never bought hand sanitizer before the craziness hit, but I opened up our emergency kit and go bags and had one large bottle of hand sanitizer in there and individual bottles of sanitizer and Clorox wipes in each of our go bags. I'm using the large bottle to refill the smaller bottles. I also had 2 dozen N95 face masks in my kit, which I stocked up on during all the CA fires.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk