PDA

View Full Version : What does your daily schedule look like?

bisous
03-18-2020, 07:30 PM
First, a defense of schedules. A lot of my friends and family are pooh-poohing schedules. I understand that it looks a little pretentious but my thing is that I live in a small house with a DH with ADHD and 4 very active children of varying ages. A schedule makes the day fun for us. It doesn't kill our spontaneity. If it isn't your thing that's fine but in my experience, it helps the cabin fever feel less acute when you're moving along through different activities during the day.

Here's what we're doing:
BREAK SCHEDULE

7:30 FAMILY WALK
8:15 (ish) FAMILY MEETING-SCRIPTURES AND GO OVER DAILY SCHEDULE
9:00 BEGIN MORNING REQUIREMENTS
o GET DRESSED (SHOWER?)
o MAKE BED
o TIDY BEDROOM
o EAT BREAKFAST
o PRACTICE INSTRUMENT
o CLEAN YOUR ZONE
o MOM CHORE
o JOURNAL PAGE
o PARTICIPATE IN WALK, BIKE RIDE, OR EXERCISE VIDEO
o SEMINARY REQUIREMENTS (DS1)
GAMES CAN BEGIN
12:00 LUNCH
12:30 READ ALOUD (MOM READS HARRY POTTER 1)
1:00 QUIET TIME-PUZZLES, READING, PLAY
• DD-DD's BEDROOM
• DS3-BOYS BEDROOM
• DS2-LIVING ROOM
• DS1-KITCHEN
2:00 AFTERNOON ACTIVITIES
• 30 MINUTE ROTATIONS ON THE COMPUTER. EACH KID MUST COMPLETE ONE ACADEMIC ACTIVITY (SPELLING CITY, IXL, OR EPIC BEFORE MOVING ON TO SCRATCH, PRODIGY, WORD
• TANGRAMS
• PATTERN BLOCKS
• PAINTING
• DRAWING
• CRAFTS
• PUZZLES
• SUDOKU
• MATH MANIPULATIVES
• LEGOS
• PERLER BEADS
• BAKING
• MAGNATILES
• BOARD GAMES
4:00 OUTSIDE TIME-BIKES, SCOOTERS, NERF GUNS, CHALK, BUBBLES
5:00 DINNER
5:30 TIDY UP-BEDROOMS, ZONES, DISHES
6:00 DAD’S ENTERTAINMENT HOUR-MOVIES, SHOWS, BOARD GAMES, PHONE GAMES
8:00 LITTLE KID BEDTIME
9:30 BIG KID BEDTIME

So far, we're not hitting each activity on the head, but it has been a joy and I was very worried. I borrowed heavily from the colorful COVID-19 schedule that was passed around on FB.

What are you doing?

bisous
03-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Also, I'm still getting up early so that I can have time to myself.

I am loving quiet time too. I just read a book for fun. I haven't done that in ages.

I work during the morning. When the kids are doing their work and when they get Switch games they are easy to watch. I am more present in the afternoon and during meals, walks, etc.

DH has not been getting a break in work hours. If anything, telecommuting is taking up more time and so he hasn't been done by 6:00. That's my one bummer. I am trying to do some housework from 6:00 to 7:30 and I have only done that once this week so far. I am in the middle of reorganizing the boys room and it is a disaster. Hopefully on the weekend I'll get some space to work on that!

AnnieW625
03-18-2020, 07:48 PM
My schedule is essentially the same:
Wake up at 5:15 to 5:30
Leave home at 6:20
Arrive at work by 7 am
Morning break: 10:30 to 10:45
Lunch at 12:30 to 1:00 pm
Afternoon break: 3:15 to 3:30
Leave work: 4:30

I have every other Friday off. On the Fridays I work I work from 7:30 to 4 pm.

Post work:
Home by 5:15 pm
Cook dinner, eat no later than 7 pm
Post dinner: puzzle, game, or movie time (so far it has just been puzzle time)
9 pm to 9:30 pm: shower and get breakfast/lunch ready for the next time. Girls are in bed by 9:30 at the latest.
10 pm bedtime: read in bed and lights out by 10:30 most nights, lights out at 10 would be better.

Dh works from 8-5 Monday through Friday at home. Dh cooks breakfast, lunch, and also takes the dog for a walk with the girls.

Dd1 has online school and she has to sign in between 8 and 8:30. She said yesterday she did about 6 hours of work.

Dd2 has no set schedule other than get up, eat breakfast, clean room, and move around activity like playing WII, walking the dog with Dd1, etc. .

I think I am going to start planning on an after dinner walk with the dog as well. I am still hoping to get my daily Fitbit goal of 5000+ steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
03-18-2020, 08:27 PM
I go to work, my two kids 16 ans 14 are on their own, they have a vehicle if needed.

They are sleeping in, and do their own thing. I have left them with a few chores, they make their own meals and are required to clean up after themselves in addition to the job I left them.

They have spent time outdoors but we're near Chicago so weather iffy.

No e learning expectations, as our district considers this an act of God and so no teacher driven learning. DD is still doing some studying for the act which is now pushed back.

I am not pushing any other academics at this point, no flames please, we'll see if they don't go back after our spring break next week.

I'm encouraging some reading.

DS and I watched Hoop Dreams the other night, we're actually able to spend time together as hockey and lacrosse are canceled

Going to keep picking some movies and documentaries we can watch together .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Liziz
03-18-2020, 08:37 PM
I understand the need for a schedule. I don't normally do schedules, but with two kids who are used to school being home, it is essential to my mental health. My kids handle things so much better when they know what to expect, and I do a ton better when I have designated kid time/me time/chores time. We only started w/ both kids home today, but this is what we did today and it worked well. The times will definitely end up being approximate. I also know that for my kids, I need to keep their routines as much like school as possible if I actually want them to do school at home (which I do!).

Pre 8:30 - normal routine, just like they're going to school. Up and dressed, empty dishwasher, eat breakfast, brush hair and teeth.
8:30-9:30 - School (I'm doing a combination of my own activities and things their teachers have assigned)
9:30-10:00 - Brain Break - go outside if weather allows and walk the dogs, play BBall, ride bikes, etc. If weather is bad we'll do a dance video, Go Noodle video, kids yoga, etc.
10-11:00 - School
11-12 - Lunch, while watching some of the many many story read-aloud videos that are out there right now or I'll read them stories after I'm done eating
12-12:30 - Chores
12:30-2:00 - Quiet time (as long as they're behaving I allow them to play together)
2:00-3:30 - Afternoon Adventure - Some fun more extended craft activity, science experiment, game, etc.
3:30 - 4:30 - Educational electronics - watching an educational TV show, playing an educational game on the computer
4:30 - normal life from this point on, i.e. - same things we'd do on a normal, non-COVID19 school day. Girls generally play outside until dinner if it's nice. Only difference now is that they're staying in our yard/only playing with each other instead of visiting neighbor friends. Then dinner, baths/shower, and bedtime!

I get up in the morning to work out before kids are up, too, but I've been doing that for awhile, that's not a new addition to my schedule. I do enjoy not needing to pack lunches in the morning!

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2020, 08:56 PM
I'll have to let you know tomorrow when I print it up again. DS(10) ripped it to shreds when I told him it was bedtime, lol. We're basically following the one from FB that photographer made for her family. I'm loving Creative Time. My 12yo made a model of our backyard project so we can try to envision what we should do with the space.

georgiegirl
03-18-2020, 09:07 PM
We don’t have one yet. As my kids keep reminding me, “this week is spring break mom!!!!”

I do need a plan though since the boys are driving me bonkers. We did take a bike ride, even though it was 47 and misting. The boys most definitely need “recess” twice a day, where I make them play outside and exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
03-18-2020, 09:25 PM
My family is also treating this as Spring Break week (which it actually was for DGD1). DGD1 has been working hard on several planned art projects. DGD2 and I have been having daily video chats or messaging, and we’ve talked about what she’s reading, what birds are in their backyard, etc etc.

Not sure how they’re planning to organize next week, when they’ll be juggling 2 adults working at home, both needing to use computers (with one doing a lot of zoom meetings [emoji7]) and 2 kids working on whatever instructional materials they receive from their schools by the end of this week. So, lots still up in the air now. Fortunately all 4 of them like to cook so I expect there will be some baking projects, too.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
03-18-2020, 10:09 PM
We don’t have one yet. As my kids keep reminding me, “this week is spring break mom!!!!”

I do need a plan though since the boys are driving me bonkers. We did take a bike ride, even though it was 47 and misting. The boys most definitely need “recess” twice a day, where I make them play outside and exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It rained pretty hard Monday and Tuesday and we didn’t get outside much and OH did it show in DS3 and DD! They NEED recess!

niccig
03-18-2020, 10:10 PM
I need a schedule for me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
03-18-2020, 11:42 PM
I need a schedule for me!!!!

Can we help you? Making schedules is my jam, lol!

melrose7
03-18-2020, 11:57 PM
I need to do some kind of schedule but I have no idea where to start. I think I’m in denial that this might be the start of summer break. It’s been a horrible school year so far for DD1. Old posts from the fall I mentioned she started a new school In August and got kicked out (behavior problems) after 6 weeks with no notice. Then was home with me for 8 weeks. She didn’t go back until the week before Thanksgiving. Now trying to tell her no school again and then trying to explain it wasn’t because of her behavior this time. And she loves to go someplace everyday and we can’t go anywhere!
She needs/like to keep busy but needs help with all activities and I am still running an in home daycare as most of those kids are still coming. And she can’t get certain things out to do because they aren’t appropriate to have around younger babies. She will entertain herself sometimes but it doesn’t last long, so it’s all day long of “mommy, what you doing”.
She will get some online learning but not sure what she will get out of it or understand it. I can work/spend time with her during the daycare kids nap time but it’s the rest of the day needs that I’m not looking forward too.
Then trying to keep my other 2 kids of their screens too.
Wish spring would come!!

DualvansMommy
03-19-2020, 12:53 AM
It’s day 2 of our virtual school/WFH for DH & me, it’s been interesting!

7am-I go out for a 3-4 mile run. Come home, read news with my coffee, then make kids breakfast and myself around 8:30 as kids usually read cartoons magazines in early morning.

9am-virtual school until 11am.
11:30-break to go outside for quick walk/bike ride or yoga/mediation if bad out.
12:30 to 1:30-lunch/reading time/watch read out loud time online.
1:30 to 3-3:30-virtual school/wrap up for day.

4pm-normal as if they’re in school as that’s when they usually come home then. They usually go outside/iPad/quiet time

5-7pm help me prep dinner/cook, eat dinner, cleanup, do our chores (that include kids too)

7-8:30pm-watch movie, play games, veg together to read.

8:30-little one up to shower/bed.
9pm-older kid bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

niccig
03-19-2020, 01:15 AM
Can we help you? Making schedules is my jam, lol!

Ok so it’s just me as DS is on Spring Break and I’m letting him sleep in. DH will do his own thing, and hopefully not bother me too much.

Wake up, shower coffee
Got for a walk or sit outside in sun if it stops raining!
8am work
12-1 lunch
1-4 work
5pm work out and shower
6:30 dinner prep with DS
Watch TV/read/do a puzzle
Bed about 11pm

I am liking no alarm clock and no commute, but I’ll get cabin fever.

PZMommy
03-19-2020, 02:44 AM
I’m hoping to find a groove soon. Between trying to provide instruction to my TK/K class, my husband teaching 3 high school classes from home, and trying to homeschool my own two kids, we are struggling. I always thought it would be nice to be a SAHM and homeschool my kids, but I’m 3 days in, and I will never consider that again! Give me 24 five year olds any day, as that is so much easier than trying to convince my own two that this is not a vacation.

essnce629
03-19-2020, 05:24 AM
Honestly, this is only day 3 of no school and I really could care less about schedules and academics at this point. DS1 is actually on spring break for the next 2 weeks, so no academics for him. He's been staying up till almost sunrise, sleeping till 1:30pm, and playing lots of video games plus his daily chores of course. DS2 does have a packet of school work he brought home on Friday, but I haven't even looked at it yet. He appears to be working on it each day on his own however. Other than that, he's been making lots of pancakes, doing some of his daily chores, and also playing video games and watching YouTube. I said if he wanted to make a daily schedule for himself he could. He did yesterday and even included some time for PE and music. I've slept in till almost noon each day, hung out in the jacuzzi with my mom and DS2, worked on 1 small household to do each day (cleaned out the pantry, finally sewed the holes in some clothing, cleaned the walls behind DS2's bunk bed), made sure we had a good home cooked meal each night, and watched a ton of news. It's a crazy time right now and I think we don't need to be so hard on ourselves if we don't have everything figured out by day 4. So basically this is our version of that colorful unrealistic schedule that's been going around.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/007544fcaf258f797748d79a2f3b2f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
03-19-2020, 09:42 AM
We are maintaining a very strict schedule, it both helps DS1 (who is autistic) and DH and I get work done.

5am - 7:45 am: work for me
6am - 8am: Kids wake, eat breakfast, chat with friends
8am - DH "goes to work" (head to his set up in the basement)
8am - 8:30am: get dressed and chores
8:30-9am: outside, no matter what, even in the pouring rain today
9am-11:30am: educational time
11:30am-Noon: lunch
Noon-12:30pm: quick clean of the house and run around outside
12:30pm-1:30pm: Quiet reading or chat with friends
1:30pm-2:30pm: Screentime
2:30pm-3:30pm: Arts and crafts (outside if it is nice)
3:30pm-4:30pm: Outside, DH returns from "work"

After that window we just let things ride, but when the day with showers and regular bedtime. I work part time, and so far have been able to fit in my work with this schedule.

mmsmom
03-19-2020, 09:44 AM
DS is on spring break so I am letting him sleep in and do what he wants until virtual learning starts for him next Wednesday. Then he will be logged in doing his normal school day from 8:10-3:10. We do ask him to take breaks and go outside.

DD’s school is just doing review work until end of month and nothing is required. She is up early naturally so I am having her do the work and also some reading every day. Otherwise she is FaceTiming friends or watching videos. She does not play video games. She also does a lot of crafting on her own and I am having her go outside as well.

I am still working going into my office some days. I do not have a schedule for myself but decided everyday I want to: do 1 load of laundry (we don’t have that much but want to wash things like back packs and mattress pads), batch cook one thing in addition to dinner, work out, organize one closet/Drawer/area and do 1 thing for self-care (mask, meditate, bath, etc).

gatorsmom
03-19-2020, 10:22 AM
This will be Day 2 of me homeschooling the kids. Hopefully it’s less bumpy than yesterday. My kids are all in MS or HS so pretty self- motivated but I still have to make sure they are getting their work done. Our school had parents pick up stacks of books and notebooks with class curriculums and deadlines on Monday. I drop off the books and work this Saturday at school and then pick up new homework. The school’s aim is that the only thing the kids will get behind on is Latin. Thank goodness they don’t expect us parents to homeschool that! They are supplying us with answer sheets to check math and grammar homework. Thi is our relaxed schedule:

9am- wake up and brush teeth, shower
start homework immediately
Take mid-morning break for breakfast then back at school work
1pm or 2pm eat lunch and then back to schoolwork
afternoon break at some point to ride bikes, dance or skateboard outside
3pm school work is pretty much done and they start on house chores
4pm work independently on puzzles or personal projects (like in the garage, call or text friends, read the newspaper or books)
5pm kids make their family meals or help with other household chores
6pm or 7pm movies, dinner and family prayers

I expect this will change over the next few days

belovedgandp
03-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Well today is the first day of our modified schedule. I have a few things that are daily expectations and we have a larger list of projects (both fun and chore related) we want to do over the next two months. Each morning we decide what we're tackling for the day.

Daily expectations:
Get up and go to bed at consistent times
Personal hygiene and daily chores (make beds, dishes)
Read
Exercise
Instruments (every other day)
School work (every other day)
Project of the day

My kids are 10, 12 and 16 and have decent attention spans. The academic work from school is easier for them to dive into for several hours at a time.

The shift in our schedule is because DH is WFH. He starts work at 6:45 or 7 as normal and is used to eating lunch at 11. Kids and I had originally done a 9 pm to 9 am sleep thing. But then they had breakfast at 10 and lunch was late and without DH. Kids proposal yesterday was to shift to sleeping 10 to 10 and their first meal is lunch with DH.

I'm getting up with DH to get my quiet time in the morning before the kids are up.

ezcc
03-19-2020, 01:23 PM
I made a schedule, but it has pretty much gone out the window already :). My older 2 are 14 and 17- so I decided with them that as long as they completed a short list (read for 30 minutes, 30 minutes sat prep for oldest/math for middle, 30 minutes outside and a chore assigned to them) I would not bug them about the nocturnal hours they are keeping and the games and face timing that is going all day and late into the night. Even so they are gaming me by taking their books outside and counting it for both reading and outside :). Youngest is 8 so I am trying to keep things more on a routine for him- some reading and math each day, some creative time and plenty of outside time- bike rides, dog walks etc. DH and I both have outside projects going on so occasionally roping in one or more kids for help.

smilequeen
03-19-2020, 01:34 PM
My kids are on spring break and super disappointed about not getting to go skiing. I'm basically letting them do what they want right now. We're playing a lot of games, watching videos, and trying to get exercise.

My older 2 go back on Tuesday and the school said they should be online from 8-3 every day. So, they have a schedule decided for them by their school.

My youngest is on spring break until the 30th and they haven't given us anything yet. They just want them to read and relax. I'll have to come up with something for him when his brothers need more quiet (he's my super talker). If it stops raining (quarantine plus spring showers sucks), we'll swim in our pool (heated) and play outside with the dogs.