PDA

View Full Version : Ok to help DS with this? Schoolwork Q

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 03:03 PM
DS has to do a computer math program every day to practice math facts. The teacher said it should only take him about 20 mins but in reality it takes him way longer (like 45 mins). He is really behind where the teacher wants him to be and now that I'm watching him at home I see why. The program wants to complete a certain number of math facts before giving a 'green light' that you are done. It shows a fact and then gives 5 seconds and then you have missed it if you don't answer in 5 seconds. DS can get most of the answers in the 5 seconds but then he can't always get them typed in that fast, so it's taking him a long time.
Would it be bad for him to tell me the answer and I type it in, so it goes faster? I generally steer away from helping much with his work but this one thing is causing us SO much grief right now-- he dreads it and usually ends up in tears and tantrums.

marymoo86
03-20-2020, 03:06 PM
IMO if it keeps him from getting frustrated then type it in. He's being challenged on the math not typing.

I would consider what happens with the frustration and not helping if you have to maintain e-learning for the long haul.

jgenie
03-20-2020, 03:06 PM
I would be fine typing his answers for him. I did something similar for DS2 when he had to write a paper for school, he’s in 4th grade and the typing was taking forever. He told me what he wanted to write and I typed it for him.

PunkyBoo
03-20-2020, 03:09 PM
I would be fine typing his answers for him. I did something similar for DS2 when he had to write a paper for school, he’s in 4th grade and the typing was taking forever. He told me what he wanted to write and I typed it for him.100% agreed. I've been there too. The point is learning math, not proving his keyboarding skill.

niccig
03-20-2020, 03:11 PM
I’ve done that in the past. DS dictates and I typed. He’ll get faster at typing with time. Maybe look to doing an online typing tutorial ... there are ones for kids to make it fun

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Thank you all! This one thing is completely killing online learning for us and I’m just tired of the tantrums over it. He is still learning the facts.

PZMommy
03-20-2020, 03:36 PM
As a teacher, that would be perfectly fine. I’d also look into typing apps/games online because in 3rd grade the state testing is all online.

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 03:39 PM
As a teacher, that would be perfectly fine. I’d also look into typing apps/games online because in 3rd grade the state testing is all online.

Except that our state just canceled state testing for the year..haha. I do think I will get a typing program for him though. It’s definitely a skill he needs to learn!

Liziz
03-20-2020, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's terrible or cheating if you help him type the answers, but it's not a sustainable long term solution. Eventually he'll go back to doing these in the classroom, and if he's used to you typing them, and not working on learning to type himself, he's going to be terribly discouraged when his scores plummet.

Right now I think everyone has a "just get through it" mentality and that's totally okay (I have that mentality, too!), but just to keep in mind. If possible, work with him on typing skills in another non-graded, non-timed place so he can keep building those skills too.

Another thought is that keypads are sometimes way easier than the numbers across the top of a keyboard. If he's using a keyboard that doesn't have one, it may help improve his speed. (For reference, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Numeric-Backlit-Desktop-Computer/dp/B07FFLNF5C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=224XDFR1JTRHM&dchild=1&keywords=usb+number+pad&qid=1584733121&sprefix=usb+numb%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-4).

StantonHyde
03-20-2020, 03:42 PM
We had some sort of math facts that you had to get 100% to finish and if you missed the last question, it would add on another 5 questions and if you missed one of those, it added 5 more...I knew a number of parents, myself included, who said--98% is good enough, I will finish the rest. (it always pissed me off when I got it wrong :rotflmao:)

I have done what you are describing. DS now types just fine. You won't damage your little guy by helping him out with typing :wink2:

newnana
03-20-2020, 04:07 PM
totally agree with pps, I would type his answers as the goal in this is learning math. You don't want him to hate doing math over a typing problem. Success is a good thing, especially right now when you can use this as an opportunity to figure out what the real obstacle is.

For typing, dd loved: https://www.nitrotype.com/

Green_Tea
03-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Is it XtraMath? His teacher can adjust the time to add six seconds.

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's terrible or cheating if you help him type the answers, but it's not a sustainable long term solution. Eventually he'll go back to doing these in the classroom, and if he's used to you typing them, and not working on learning to type himself, he's going to be terribly discouraged when his scores plummet.

Right now I think everyone has a "just get through it" mentality and that's totally okay (I have that mentality, too!), but just to keep in mind. If possible, work with him on typing skills in another non-graded, non-timed place so he can keep building those skills too.

Another thought is that keypads are sometimes way easier than the numbers across the top of a keyboard. If he's using a keyboard that doesn't have one, it may help improve his speed. (For reference, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Numeric-Backlit-Desktop-Computer/dp/B07FFLNF5C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=224XDFR1JTRHM&dchild=1&keywords=usb+number+pad&qid=1584733121&sprefix=usb+numb%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-4).
I agree. It was. Problem before the break and we had talked with the teacher about allowing him to do math facts on paper instead because that would be faster and less frustrating. He uses a chrome book at school and brought it home, so no side keypad, which would definitely be faster.

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 04:59 PM
totally agree with pps, I would type his answers as the goal in this is learning math. You don't want him to hate doing math over a typing problem. Success is a good thing, especially right now when you can use this as an opportunity to figure out what the real obstacle is.

For typing, dd loved: https://www.nitrotype.com/

Thanks for the link, I’ll look into it! He already thinks he is bad at math— which is not true, he knows the math part just fine!

petesgirl
03-20-2020, 05:00 PM

No, it’s called Reflex. I’ll have to ask about that though.

o_mom
03-20-2020, 06:26 PM
I agree. It was. Problem before the break and we had talked with the teacher about allowing him to do math facts on paper instead because that would be faster and less frustrating. He uses a chrome book at school and brought it home, so no side keypad, which would definitely be faster.

Can you order a wireless keyboard for him to use with the Chromebook?

KpbS
03-20-2020, 11:25 PM

Yes to this. The rate can be slowed down. If he shouts out the answers to you and you type, he is still practicing and getting faster/more fluent and that is the actual goal. DD struggled first with the format, but I just let her do her best and she has really improved. Hang in there and don't feel compelled to practice more than the recommended time, but you can do flash cards, songs, etc to improve his fact knowledge and make it more fun.

MommyAllison
03-21-2020, 05:29 PM
I would (and have) helped type answers in this situation, though ours was with XtraMath. For typing, I've started each of my kids out with DanceMat typing, it's free and super fun :) https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr

hbridge
03-21-2020, 06:00 PM
As a math teacher and a mom to a child who HATES timed math, I would have him stand behind me and give the answer. All I would help with was typing.

....okay, that's not true, I might speed it along a little for the ones that the child was struggling with and THEN go over them with him after the exercise was over.

20 minutes of timed math facts is a LOT of stress on a kid.

petesgirl
03-21-2020, 06:27 PM
As a math teacher and a mom to a child who HATES timed math, I would have him stand behind me and give the answer. All I would help with was typing.

....okay, that's not true, I might speed it along a little for the ones that the child was struggling with and THEN go over them with him after the exercise was over.

20 minutes of timed math facts is a LOT of stress on a kid.

This is thing, he does just fine with timed math tests on paper but he really struggles on the computer. They do both kinds each day.