PDA

View Full Version : What are you cancelling/ missing out on due to Covid-19? Let's commiserate

liz
03-20-2020, 09:01 PM
It's been quite a while since I've been on the boards. It's nice to visit again! I got to thinking in the past few days about what lifestyle changes we're having now with Covid-19 becoming a pandemic. A month ago I was (naively) thinking we might have a few disruptions in planned activities for a few weeks. Within the past week I've finally accepted that things are going to be really different in the next few months. Obviously, keeping our family, community and ourselves healthy is the paramount goal right now. I wanted to post this topic, not to bemoan the situation, but more to commiserate with you all. I'm sure many of us are in the same boat.

We are about to cancel a long planned trip to the west coast. I am feeling fortunate today because it looks like we have a good chance of getting airline credit and (fingers crossed) hopefully a refund on an expensive AirBnB rental. Schools are out indefinitely and I am sad for the kids. So much learning missed, time with friends, so many fun end of year school activities cancelled. Feeling sad for the seniors in high school who won't get to experience so many of the joys of graduation.

smilequeen
03-20-2020, 09:14 PM
We skipped our spring break ski trip this week. I’m feeling really bad for my oldest. He is very athletic. In mid November he broke his wrist (scaphoid bone). 1 game into HS Varsity season and about 1/4 through his club season. He missed 3 months. Came back for 2 weeks of lacrosse and 1 last hockey tournament and all of his sports are cancelled...and then no skiing, which he had been so excited about. And the freshman dance is cancelled. Other than school and extracurricular activities we haven’t had to cancel anything. We had to nix an Easter trip and I’m going to be really bummed if our Galapagos trip is cancelled. That’s all SO first world problems, I know. Still sucks.

smilequeen
03-20-2020, 09:14 PM
double post

MMMommy
03-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Canceled Spring Break trip to Hawaii. I am 99.9% sure that the Levi Stadium BTS concert (end of April) will get canceled--60,000 person capacity at that stadium with the biggest band globally is recipe for exposure disaster! DD will be so sad about that, as that was her big birthday gift. First world problems, I know.

KpbS
03-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Trip to my sisters to see the fam. We haven't been in 18 mo. Kids super bummed.
Spring break fun with friends, activities.
DS and DD's soccer season. It was going to be DS's last one since he is aging out of the program.
DS's job and gym time. He goes everyday.
DH's business will feel this in the near future. I know it could be worse/more immediate and we are certainly not alone, but it's still hard.

pinkmomagain
03-20-2020, 09:44 PM
3-4 broadway shows (hoping for the last one at the end of April, but I doubt it). We have a wonderful European trip planned the second half of August. Good chance that's not happening. Daughter's study abroad trip to London this summer was cancelled. Was on a great roll with workouts and now having to make adjustments to that. My business will likely take a hit. Bummer. I just hope we stay healthy and alive.

gymnbomb
03-20-2020, 10:02 PM
So far we are missing my niece and sister in law who were supposed to be here visiting this week. Assuming we will miss going to see my parents in May. (All of our family requires flying or driving for more than a day to reach). These are the things that are important to me.

I do feel very lucky to have gotten in my spring break trip with my mom. But still crossing fingers for another week that we didn’t get sick there or on the way home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anonomom
03-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Me, almost nothing. My kids, so very much.

My fifth and 8th graders each had big overnight field trips this month or next; both canceled. The 11yo was supposed to go on a big trip out of the country with her grandparents in June; I can’t see that happening at this point. And both had camps they were really excited about. I’m worried those will either be canceled outright or they’ll be unable to go b/c of making up school.

Luckily, I hadn’t really scheduled much for my youngest; he may miss summer camp this year but that’s only a week.

jgenie
03-20-2020, 10:15 PM
We cancelled our spring break trip to Europe. So very grateful the travel ban was announced on Wednesday rather than after we were scheduled to fly out. We have a trip planned with friends for early June that I was so looking forward to taking. I booked flights for a steal and I know I won’t find anything close to the price I paid. Bummer. We haven’t seen my family in almost a year just because we were late planning and prices were high for short visits. We had planned on spending a month with them this summer and I’m starting to realize we may not get to see them this summer. I’m sad for my kids who are missing them too.

I’m selfishly enjoying having everyone home and trying extra hard to leave my screens and housework and take it all in. I don’t know when we would otherwise get so much quality time together and I’m really trying to make it count. I want to look back and remember the fun things we did rather than how scared I feel.

georgiegirl
03-20-2020, 10:26 PM
Spring break trip. (Right now)

My first trip away ALONE to DC visit my best friends from college. [emoji35] (April)

My mom visiting us (early May)

Summer trip to Scotland (late June...I assume that will be cancelled)

Lots of fun stuff for the kids. School concerts, including Ds2’s kindergarten concert, 5th grade graduation (assuming we don’t go back). The start of swim season (and who knows how long that will be cancelled). Hopefully not drivers’ ed (June).

We usually visit my family in CA in August before school starts, but we don’t have tickets yet, so who knows about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kestrel
03-20-2020, 10:34 PM
We were supposed to drive the RV cross country, Washington to New York, to go to the new legoland scheduled to open 7/4. I can't imagine that they're going to hit that date now, and I don't know if we're going to want that kind of exposure cross country or at Legoland anyway. But this was going to be our first vacation just for fun since DS was born (in 2009). We're all really disappointed - at least we didn't spend the money and could maybe go next year.

ang79
03-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Well, our schools have not officially closed beyond March 27, but I am expecting them to, as the amount of cases in PA grows quite a bit each day. So, if we don't go back to school, there goes my income (I substitute teach). I had a pretty full schedule for the end of March and beginning of April and then was scheduled to proctor state tests for 3 weeks at the end of April/beginning of May (those tests are now canceled). The girls all had concerts coming up, including one my 5th grader was specially selected to attend for orchestra with students across our whole county. And field trips/end of school activities. My DD1 had just started practice for MS track and is bummed that she can't do that right now. Church youth outtings have been canceled and Easter activities. Both of my girls are in Girl Scouts and we just got our cookies on March 7 and our first booths were March 13 and 14. We still did the booths, but not as long as scheduled because several parents pulled out last minute. Currently all booths and active selling are on hold til the end of the month. I'm leader/cookie mom for my older daughter's troop and we have 300+ boxes of cookies sitting in my dining room that I'm afraid we won't be able to sell and we don't have enough money in our troop account to cover the cost of these cookies. Both troops were saving up for upcoming overnight trips and I'm guessing these trips will not be canceled too. My biggest disappointment though is for a trip that DH and I had planned at the beginning of June to go to Jamaica for our anniversary with friends. The resort is currently closed. Each day it is feeling more clear that we are going to have to reschedule that trip and we were all looking forward to it so much.

carolinacool
03-20-2020, 10:50 PM
Thank you for this thread. It really feels like people aren't allowed to be sad about missing out on things. The big one is DS' field trip to the coast. Every year, the fourth grade takes this trip, so they had been looking forward to it for years. DS said some kids cried when their teacher told them it was canceled last week.

The other big thing is DS' AAU basketball season, which was just getting started when all of this happened. While his coach usually aims to wrap up the season for the younger kids by early June, there are tournaments most weekends through August, so they will get a pretty decent season.

Our beach vacation is scheduled the week after July 4. I have every intention of going! The last two years, we had also traveled over spring break to see DH's family across the country. We decided not to go this year and hadn't make any other plans.

jbbhb
03-20-2020, 10:52 PM
My 40th birthday party, speaking at a national convention, but even worse: our family’s first ever trip to Disneyworld [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

doberbrat
03-20-2020, 11:02 PM
dd2's class won a trip to see the Celtics and she is beyond sad that they missed it. dd1's bummed that her school musical is 'on hold' and likely canceled.

Neither of them know yet that my cousin's annual Easter visit is almost certainly off. They'll be devastated.

I'm scared we wont see my family this summer. My mom is on dialysis, my aunt & uncle are all in remission from their cancers. Sure, my mom is a pia but she's my mom kwim?

PZMommy
03-20-2020, 11:08 PM
My son is in 5th grade, so he is missing out on all of the 5th grade activities and his 5th grade culmination. He will be moving onto a magnet program for middle school, and none of his friends will be attending, so he is missing these last few months with his friends.

We were planning to go visit my parents in mid June, but at this point have not booked any tickets. Being in California where we are being hit hard, it is too difficult to predict how things will be in a couple of months.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2020, 11:14 PM
Lots. Mostly centered around ds1’s senior year. Trip to watch him perform in a national festival. Musical (he was a lead and we volunteer a bunch- it’s really the highlight from January to May). Tennis. Looks like also last concerts, last senior rec, last athletic awards, last prom, graduation...
Really, those memories and experiences are hard to lose. I feel for him and his friends who worked so hard.
All the other stuff is small potatoes at the moment for us.

carolinacool
03-20-2020, 11:26 PM
SnuggleBuggles, I HEAR you on that. My heart breaks for high school seniors. A lot of people (not here) might handwave it and just scream "but pandemic!!!" But those are wonderful moments and memories that you just can't reschedule or ever get back. I'm so sorry. I hope something toward the end of the year can be salvaged. *hugs*

marymoo86
03-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Grand Canyon spring break
Field trips
Tennis
Soccer
Dance
GOTR
My uncle’s funeral

Will see how softball or summer swim is impacted

essnce629
03-21-2020, 12:23 AM
We're missing out on the spring break college tour trip DS1 and I were supposed to leave for today. DS has also been prepping for the ACT since Jan and his April test was just cancelled. Applying to colleges in the fall will be quite different I'm assuming with lots of kids not being able to take SAT and ACTs, and possibly not any AP tests either. I suspect most schools will have to go test optional, at least for the class of 2021. DS will also be missing out on his trip to Japan with his Japanese school that was planned for June. He's super bummed about that. Obviously no more extracurriculars for him either-- rock climbing and kendo. DS2 was supposed to be in his after school theater production of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The show was supposed to be next weekend and they've been working on it for months. He'll also miss out on his 5th grade culmination and the annual 5th grade pool party. After being at our charter school for 9 years (since the second year it opened) it's pretty sad to end it like this (all his friends will end up at different middle schools).

Tenasparkl
03-21-2020, 01:46 AM
So far: DS’s soccer season, theater tickets and soccer tickets - a few of each, our spring break trip with the in-laws was supposed to be next week, DD’s Greek play & spring play, I’m missing all kinds of screenings at work and I’m sure a ton of stuff I’ve forgotten.

keh602
03-21-2020, 01:59 AM
I’m so thankful for a place to list it out. I’m trying to stay so positive for my family while feeling so sad about what they’re missing out on. I have a 5th grader and an 8th grader, and it looks like they’re both going to miss out on all of the fun end of elementary/middle school things. DD’s last middle school play. She was supposed to receive an award at the state Capitol next month. 8th grade dance and graduation. DS1 was supposed to be going to the Smoky Mountains with his classmates. He also had just started up with a baseball team after shying away from team sports (out of fear of disappointing his team), and practices have been canceled indefinitely, as well as a pre-season tournament. Time will tell what happens to the regular season, but it isn’t looking good. DH and I are supposed to go to Disney World at the end of next month, and I am stubbornly refusing to cancel until we have to, even though I can’t imagine we’ll be able to go. This week was spring break, and while we’ve had a lot of truly quality family time, we had let each kid pick out a destination for a short road trip. The only request we were able to honor was DS2’s craving for corn dogs, and that’s because we were able to go to Sonic.

nfceagles
03-21-2020, 03:41 AM
We had this really amazing opportunity to move to London for a year. Kids got into an amazing international school. Not we’re stuck in a flat much smaller than our home with zero yard, online school, and no exploring Europe during breaks or this summer. We’re even somewhat nervous about whether we’ll be able to get home. A couple visits from friends and family aren’t happening. My brothers family was here when the travel ban came out and had to race home early.

For me personally/selfishly, my biggest disappointment is missing a half marathon in Prague that I was running in next weekend. I joined the most amazing beginning runners group while here and it was the culmination and celebration of all that training. If I was going to be here longer than a year it might not be as disappointing as I’d fold into the regular running group and train for next year with them. Now we can’t even run together.

basil
03-21-2020, 07:39 AM
I think we are better off than most. My kids are sad about school, but they are young and it will be a blip for them. Similarly with little league and dance recitals and violin/piano concerts.

A few weeks ago, I had mentally planned out a vacation schedule that included a trip this April, Disney cruise to Alaska in August, Disneyworld in October, skiing trip at Xmas and another one in February. Well as of now, we cancelled a Disney cruise. I know August is a long time away, but we were bumping up against the deadline where we could get a complete refund and didn't know if we would feel comfortable going forward especially since my 69-70 year old parents are involved. We haven't been able to firm up plans for any of the other things because everything just seems so uncertain.

I have no idea what is happening for April vacation coming up, or if it will even happen. I don't even know if we will be safe to go with my parents to their beach house this summer. I really look forward to travel, and it feels like there isn't anything to look forward to, right now.

mmsmom
03-21-2020, 08:48 AM
For DD: 3 day school field trip. She will also likely miss her spring break. It is in 20 days so I have not canceled travel plans yet but I know I am being optimistic. So far her riding lessons are continuing with restrictions to follow guidelines and her voice lessons will continue via Zoom. For DS: spring break... his is different from DD’s. He and DH actually left last Friday to ski for the week but returned home Monday night after all ski resorts closed and they never got to ski. DH is now in the midst of tracking down all the cancelations and refunds/credits. DS is also missing school tennis season and various school activities. As a family we were planning Costa Rica in July and holding out hope have not canceled yet.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2020, 08:55 AM
SnuggleBuggles, I HEAR you on that. My heart breaks for high school seniors. A lot of people (not here) might handwave it and just scream "but pandemic!!!" But those are wonderful moments and memories that you just can't reschedule or ever get back. I'm so sorry. I hope something toward the end of the year can be salvaged. *hugs*

Thank you! [emoji4] it’s especially tough because he was a late bloomer and he’s really been building to all of those milestones. Luckily he had a fantastic junior year and a lot of his great friends were seniors. He was in their AP classes (so got to play games and slack off those last weeks), went to the prom with them (and his then girlfriend), did musical... just a bummer not to get his time in the spotlight that he (and all seniors!) have worked so hard for someone nice they were little. I know some people don’t get caring about high school- they were happy to see it be done. But, his crew really loves it and it just ended. I know the principal gets it though and is making up various plans for them.

billysmommy
03-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Lots has been cancelled. Ds1 is a junior and had a trip to Italy with the school over April break, Ds2 had his 8th grade trip to DC, he and I were also going to DisneyWorld over April break for a few days.

Ds1 had his last big ski race weekend cancelled and we’ll see what happens with the spring track season. He had been playing around with running or maybe skiing in college and has times he needs to get this spring for that so we’ll see. We’re out through April 7th right now but I don’t see us going back before the 27th as Boston public schools are out until then and our spring sports season has been postponed to April 27th.

Junior prom was just rescheduled to September.

We had a family trip planned in July to Amelia Island but DH and I just cancelled that one. We own a chiro/PT clinic and will probably end up closing soon so without knowing how long this is going to last it doesn’t make sense for us to go away and spend $$.

I will say we are all very thankful that everything that happened with my Dad was before all the closures/no visitors/etc as I can’t imagine going through it without spending all the time with him that I did. Although if we were exposed it was probably at his wake/funeral as there were over 400 people with the majority healthcare workers.

KrisM
03-21-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm so sad for the kids finishing a building of school - here that is 5th, 8th, and of course 12th grade. So much is tied to them moving up and on. Seniors especially.

We didn't have any vacation planned for this year, so not missing that.

DS1 is missing his robotics season. They did not compete yet, so they're hopeful they will get that opportunity sometime. He's supposed to take his driving test and get his license next month too.

DD is missing a couple field trips and her end of year 8th grade stuff. She is scheduled to go to Mackinac Island for orchestra and band in May. All her last concerts are in May, too.

DS2 was ready to start his first bowling season on the middle school team. He's in beginning band and loves it so we'll be sad to miss their end of year concert too.

I keep holding out hope that everything will happen at some point. I know it's not likely, but hope works for me.

Jeanne
03-21-2020, 12:59 PM
For me, nothing that can’t be done after this has settled down. But my girls are feeling it. My oldest is a senior. Looks like the senior class will have nothing more. She has 2 senior proms to go to and 2 dresses just picked up 2 weeks ago. Painful to look at because I’m envisioning a cancellation for both. Not returnable after 30 days either. Graduation is beginning of June but who knows if they will hold it. Ugh.

gcc2k
03-21-2020, 02:35 PM
My brother's wedding. Can't imagine being a bride right now. They have postponed from April until December.

Of course there are sports, exciting field trips, church activities etc. But they all pale in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

carolinamama
03-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Two separate trips to Italy - DS1 and I were taking a trip with a group in April and DS2 and DH were going with his soccer team to train and play a tournament over there.

Summer family trip to NYC is presumably cancelled.

Both DS's soccer seasons are most likely over. DD is out of gymnastics for the foreseeable future. Even though her competitive season is in the fall, this disruption is sure to impact it since she doesn't have access to all the equipment.

DS1's 8th grade graduation, DS's 5th grade graduation. DS's class trip to DC.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

California
03-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Thank you for starting this thread and to everyone who has shared. I've been trying really hard to give myself moments to sit, be still, and grieve, as I have really been avoiding thinking about it. I'm sad for my DS and all of his canceled senior year activities that the was looking forward to- college visits, time with friends, prom (still holding out hope!), grad night. He worked really hard getting a medical internship where he provides direct patient care, and that is all on hold now since he's under 18. My DD, who works so hard at gymnastics, just found out practice and meets are canceled for at least two months. Missing my students, and not looking forward to moving to online learning. I'm scared for my family who are on the frontline in medical care, for two relatives who have lost jobs due to closures and are unsure how they'll pay their bills, and for our elderly relatives. Too many are either feeling overworked or out of work.

That was healing to write.

Melaine
03-21-2020, 03:47 PM
We are missing out on school (hybrid homeschool....so also work for me 2 days a week), church (teaching Sunday School also), the soccer season for the kids (only one week in). We are not really missing anything "big" or "special". The hardest part for me is that over the last 4-5 weeks I had felt like my anxiety was on an upward turn, improving and honestly right now I'm afraid I'm in for one of the lowest lows of my life. Being at home with just me and the kids is a big trigger for me and when all of my irrational fears tend to surface. I am really really dreading facing the next few weeks.

AnnieW625
03-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Dd1 and her school band (plus other local bands) playing the national anthem at the Angels baseball game on April 4th; which is coincidentally Dd1’s 14th birthday. It was also Mike Trout bobble head night. I am sure the game will get rescheduled, but it could be after she graduates.

Both girls will not be having birthday parties. Dd1’s birthday is in two weeks and I have no idea what to do.

I am not sure how we are going to celebrate Easter. We usually go to my grandma’s house in the SoCal mountains and then go to mass, and brunch with her. This will be only the second or third time in 15 years we haven’t done that.

Most likely a weekend trip to Mission San Diego as Dd2 picked that for her mission project. We might be able to go for day instead if things lighten up here by late April.

Dd1 is missing out on a class trip to Washington DC during Spring Break.

Dd1 might miss out on her 8th grade awards ceremony, 8th grade trip to Disneyland, and her 8th grade graduation breakfast and graduation ceremony.

We were hoping to go to a family reunion for DH’s family in Pennsylvania in July, and then seeing my family that also lives in Pennsylvania at that time and maybe going to NYC as well, but that could be off as well. My kids have second and third cousins who look like them (Dd1 has a twin) and we were hoping to meet them.

DualvansMommy
03-21-2020, 05:28 PM
We’ve cancelled our spring break that we’re looking forward all year. Our summer trip home to Ireland and shore vacation may be questionable, if this goes on longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

speo
03-21-2020, 06:47 PM
I am sad for DS1 who is a freshman and was about to start track season. He was so excited. I am worried for DS2 as this goes on. He is a total extrovert and will truly miss contact with lots of people. We will miss seeing all of our family for DS1's birthday. We always have a big family party. It looks like we will miss our trip to Yellowstone in June. For the first time ever, I was ahead in my summer planning and booked it in August. The high school has block scheduling, so DS1 takes 3 classes during a typical semester. The rest of this year can't just slide as they are not even half-way through those classes. There is so much material left.

I will miss my own graduation. I just finished a teaching credential program. I am very sad that this is my first teaching position. We are in so Cal. I just took over for a teacher as a long term sub for the rest of the year in a middle school. I started last Monday. The class was in a shambles because they had subs in for over 3 weeks. We have block scheduling, so I only saw some students twice. One group really only once. By Friday, we knew we were shutting down. I now have to try to transition a class I don't really know, learn new systems and teach online. I am so truly overwhelmed. I am getting sub daily pay only ($130) and have little help. I am so sad that this is my first teaching experience on my own. I had interviews for full-time jobs lined up and hoped that would be settled in the next month or 2. Now who knows when schools will get to that?

lizzywednesday
03-21-2020, 06:56 PM
I've canceled:

(1) DD's birthday celebration with her similarly-aged cousins at the ice rink (ice rink closed last weekend due to positive cases in town; has not reopened due to latest gubernatorial executive orders)
(2) our in-person Girl Scout troop meetings for 3/15 and 3/27, with a suspicion 4/17, 5/1, and 5/15 will also be affected
(3) any ideas I may have had for having dinner out on my birthday (3/29)

DD's ice skating lessons have all been canceled until further notice, with a note that the sessions will be made up once the rink reopens.

The annual open-house day at my university/reunion was also canceled; it was to have been held on 4/25. Chances are good that Princeton will also cancel theirs, which impacts DH and our financial situation.

ETA: There is also the looming specter of canceled summer camp if restrictions aren't lifted by June.

daniele_ut
03-21-2020, 07:50 PM
My husband is a professional musician and the director of a youth orchestra program. He has had more than a dozen concerts cancelled and can’t rehearse at all for the duration.

I am a freelance theatre and live event technician. ALL of my freelance work has disappeared. I usually make 2/3 of my income for the year in the next 4 months.

My big kids are missing friends, school, orchestra, Girl Scouts, church youth groups. My youngest has special needs and there is no way Zoom sped and speech is going to cut it for him. I am scrambling to figure out how to not let him fall further behind because I am positive we are not going back to school this spring.

maydaymommy
03-23-2020, 08:39 PM
Oh jeez, where to begin!? I do appreciate the chance to vent though, and mourn. Even though a lot of this stuff really is actually big, I know it’s still all small, in the face of a global crisis.

The first thing to go was Reading Olympics, which was called off in our county way back when we still had school, and it seemed like an over reaction. I coach a team, train other parent coaches, and coordinate our school’s involvement. I was disappointed in the way our principal handled it. I still feel so badly for the kids, like DS2, who have worked hard for months and were looking forward to showing how much they’ve learned.

The biggest thing is DS1’s Bar Mitzvah. We went through a couple versions of what could happen, rather than postponing all of it. I thought we’d end up having a small, closed service streamed online on his date in May, then a big “kid party” in the fall. The clergy at our synagogue discouraged having the service now. This time last week, the pressure to scavenge for a new date, along with at least 15-20 other interconnected families in various places was immense. It was crazy. I wanted to stay out of it, so we’ll be delaying by a full year, until next spring! People think I’m either kidding, or that it’s brilliant. (I’ll stick with brilliant.)
I can’t even list all that’s not happening in the Mitzvah-centered world of an East Coast, Jewish 7th grader who goes to overnight camp. It’s my world, too and lots of people are going through the same thing. I can’t imagine replicating the event that we had planned for 6 weeks from now. Even if I wanted to, I don’t think the funds will be there. But, I also don’t think the venue will refund us anything if we don’t reschedule at the same place. Plus, the new service a year out is in the afternoon, rather than in the morning, which changes the whole structure and format b/c we were having a separate family brunch for relatives right after services, most of whom were not invited to the big nighttime party.
As much as I wish it weren’t this way, it’s like cancelling a mini-wedding, along with plans to attend 10+ more weddings, in and out of town.

DS2 is a gymnast. His gym closed and with that, there goes 15+ hours/week of physical activity, challenge, and camaraderie.

DS1 is missing lacrosse season. So is everyone else, which helps it go down a little easier, because he hasn’t been cleared to play yet, post-surgery for an injury. We had to stop a lot of the rehab. and he’s so close to regaining a full range of motion. No middle school team, no morning wall ball with the high school team, no township team, no club team, and who knows about the early Summer tournaments. Even worse, this summer is his one and only opportunity to be part of an International team at a weeklong event. He was going to camp late to be a part of it.

....and if overnight camp is cancelled, that will be the most painful loss of all for my sons. This would probably more detrimental to their development than missing the rest of the school year.

Corie
03-23-2020, 09:09 PM
Since my daughter is a senior in high school, unfortunately she is going to be missing a lot.

Her show choir competition season was cut short.

Her track season has been postponed (hasn't been cancelled yet)

Her senior Prom??

Her high school graduation ceremony?? As class president, she is supposed to give a speech at the graduation ceremony. Her
speech is already written but who knows if there will be a ceremony.

My 9th grade son is missing stuff too but it is more difficult on my daughter.

Philly Mom
03-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Oh jeez, where to begin!? I do appreciate the chance to vent though, and mourn. Even though a lot of this stuff really is actually big, I know it’s still all small, in the face of a global crisis.

The first thing to go was Reading Olympics, which was called off in our county way back when we still had school, and it seemed like an over reaction. I coach a team, train other parent coaches, and coordinate our school’s involvement. I was disappointed in the way our principal handled it. I still feel so badly for the kids, like DS2, who have worked hard for months and were looking forward to showing how much they’ve learned.

The biggest thing is DS1’s Bar Mitzvah. We went through a couple versions of what could happen, rather than postponing all of it. I thought we’d end up having a small, closed service streamed online on his date in May, then a big “kid party” in the fall. The clergy at our synagogue discouraged having the service now. This time last week, the pressure to scavenge for a new date, along with at least 15-20 other interconnected families in various places was immense. It was crazy. I wanted to stay out of it, so we’ll be delaying by a full year, until next spring! People think I’m either kidding, or that it’s brilliant. (I’ll stick with brilliant.)
I can’t even list all that’s not happening in the Mitzvah-centered world of an East Coast, Jewish 7th grader who goes to overnight camp. It’s my world, too and lots of people are going through the same thing. I can’t imagine replicating the event that we had planned for 6 weeks from now. Even if I wanted to, I don’t think the funds will be there. But, I also don’t think the venue will refund us anything if we don’t reschedule at the same place. Plus, the new service a year out is in the afternoon, rather than in the morning, which changes the whole structure and format b/c we were having a separate family brunch for relatives right after services, most of whom were not invited to the big nighttime party.
As much as I wish it weren’t this way, it’s like cancelling a mini-wedding, along with plans to attend 10+ more weddings, in and out of town.

DS2 is a gymnast. His gym closed and with that, there goes 15+ hours/week of physical activity, challenge, and camaraderie.

DS1 is missing lacrosse season. So is everyone else, which helps it go down a little easier, because he hasn’t been cleared to play yet, post-surgery for an injury. We had to stop a lot of the rehab. and he’s so close to regaining a full range of motion. No middle school team, no morning wall ball with the high school team, no township team, no club team, and who knows about the early Summer tournaments. Even worse, this summer is his one and only opportunity to be part of an International team at a weeklong event. He was going to camp late to be a part of it.

....and if overnight camp is cancelled, that will be the most painful loss of all for my sons. This would probably more detrimental to their development than missing the rest of the school year.

I think you are in PA, and maybe the same county. When Reading Olympics cancelled, everyone was devastated. Within two or three days, school was closed and no one has mentioned it since. It's amazing how quickly the world has turned.

I really feel for you and the Bar Mitzvah. My synagogue has been doing them virtually. I think they are beautiful and different and I wish they hadn't discouraged you from doing it. A good friend is dealing with her daughter's bat mitzvah cancellation and it has been awful for them and for the daughter. These kids work so hard. I am sending you and your son hugs.

For me the biggest loss will be if my daughter doesn't get to go to sleep away camp for the first time this year. I have waited for this moment from the minute I knew I was pregnant with her. All of the camp stuff I ordered arrived a few days ago. I can't look at the boxes. I know it seems ridiculous to most people, but it is important to me. The other big loss is not going on our annual trip to England to see my in laws. My kids look forward to it every year. They love it and my DH needs the grounding of going home.

pinay
03-24-2020, 12:56 AM
We were supposed to go to Hawaii for spring break this year, it's been in the works since last summer- just got an email that even if we decided to go we would have to be self-quarantined for 14 days, so it's definitely going to be rescheduled.

DD1 turns 13 at the end of April, and it's looking like we won't get to celebrate it in person with any of her friends. I have to figure out some way to make it special for her. All the fun Girl Scout trips, water polo tournaments and social stuff that she thrives on have also been cancelled.

DD2 was supposed to celebrate her First Communion in May. I picked up all of her materials last week and we now have to add it to our homeschool to-do list. Not sure if/when they will reschedule the ceremony. She's missing out on gymnastics and Girl Scouts too.

I'm missing my students- I teach primarily juniors and seniors, so I'm heartbroken for the ones who won't be able to celebrate the end of high school milestones together.

belovedgandp
03-24-2020, 10:03 AM
We've gone in waves. DS16 was hit hardest and first back on March 12th when the high school play was cut to one night only, FIRST (robotics) canceled season so no additional regional or nationals, and band canceled retreat trip. All in about three hours. I felt for him.

School was canceled until the end of the year on the 17th and today (24th) starts 30 day shelter in place. School has hit my DD10 in waves. She's identifying each new thing and mourning it separately. Not seeing her teacher. Battle of the Books. Volleyball season. Not being able to pet the neighborhood dogs out walking. Field Day. All of them hit her and hit her hard. It's draining on both of us.

DS12 has rolled so far. He's my most social and is missing contact with his friends. I'm still hopeful for his June birthday.

We had a huge party planned the first weekend in April for DH's 50th birthday and made the call yesterday to hold off on my parents 50th wedding anniversary party that was going to be Memorial Day weekend.