PDA

View Full Version : New things I’m doing since stuck at home

niccig
03-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Meal planning - I was always a cook what felt like/what was quick. Now I’m looking at what we have and trying to use up fresh food before it goes bad and balance how many pantry staples I use up.

Teaching DS to cook. I’ve always wanted to but it takes longer and difficult to get the time with work, homework, and activities.

Cleaned my house - I’m usually too tired on a Saturday after long week of work, but not today. I’m going to assign a couple of chores a day to keep house clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Liziz
03-21-2020, 08:52 PM
Teaching my kids new chores! Lucky them, lol! I've had several chores I know my kids are capable of, but it's so often easier just to get them done while they're at school rather than fight them on the weekends. Now that we're all home together.....learning time it is!

jgenie
03-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Teaching my kids new chores! Lucky them, lol! I've had several chores I know my kids are capable of, but it's so often easier just to get them done while they're at school rather than fight them on the weekends. Now that we're all home together.....learning time it is!

:yeahthat:

lizzywednesday
03-21-2020, 09:47 PM
Dance classes. I haven't taken a dance class since I was about 9 years old, but I danced along with Debbie Allen's Instagram Live dance class on Wednesday afternoon. She's gonna teach a salsa class on 3/25 (1pm Pacific/4pm Eastern; best to log in from a phone/tablet rather than a computer/laptop.)

Also ... folding laundry in a timely fashion. I usually let it sit for a week or so, but now that everyone's home, I'm managing it faster.

ourbabygirl
03-21-2020, 10:00 PM
So true to all of this!

I've been meal planning for 5 or 10 years, but never stuck to it as much as I'm expecting to this time! We got our first grocery delivery ever today, and I feel like everything we have now will be much more precious! We're forcing the kids to eat it more now, too- even if the fruit is a little mushy or whatever, it's like, "Hey, take what you can get! Who knows the next time we'll be able to get more?!"

It's amazing what you can do when you know you have no other choice! I used to plan out the kids' sporadic days off school, as well as breaks and summer vacations with lots of activities so we (I) could get out of the house at least once a day to see other people, and I would get bored and depressed being home the whole day with them. Now that it's the new normal, I just let things go more since I know we don't have the option to see other people. Of course, we're only a week in to this, and since we just had Spring Break, the teachers probably won't give us assignments for another week, but it's going *o.k.* so far.

Definitely a lot more completing household tasks (vacuuming, washing dishes, laundry, etc.), since the whole day is free and I don't have a specific time limit to squeeze it into between activities.

Since we're here all the time and going through more food and making more messes (crumbs on floor, toys strewn around, etc.), I'm thinking I'll need to be cleaning a lot more frequently, especially so I'm not overwhelmed with constant disarray. :)

DualvansMommy
03-21-2020, 10:44 PM
Not necessarily new things, but def more time to do things, coupled with nicer weather we’re experiencing. Like teaching DS2 to tie his laces, riding his bike without training wheels, going on longer bike rides while I run with DS1.

More purging than usual. We usually do a big purge every season. But doing more with smaller easy forgotten items like drawers, from our basement, and garage. Will do the switch out with winter for spring/summer seasonal stuff next month. Sorting through kids clothes, what fits them and donating.

More time to do major de clutter digitally. That was always the one thing we never had time to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

georgiegirl
03-21-2020, 10:46 PM
DD and I washed all the windows on the main floor, took off all the screens and wiped them down.

DH and I did a virtual happy hour with my sister and her DH via FaceTime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
03-21-2020, 11:11 PM
More time to do major de clutter digitally. That was always the one thing we never had time to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, let’s not get carried away! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] (Yeah, I need to do this, too ... but probably won’t get to it.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)