PDA

View Full Version : Testing is Worthless without Results!

PZMommy
05-27-2020, 03:47 PM
My county has been bragging about how anyone can get a covid test. I have to say the process of getting a test was super easy, so I will give them that. However, the labs can’t keep up with the testing and there is a huge lag with the results. Myself and several co workers were exposed thanks to a co worker. We all were tested Thursday or Friday of last week. It is now Wednesday afternoon and none of us have gotten our results back yet. All three of us tested at different locations, so it can’t even be blamed on that. Thankfully we still all feel fine, but this is very frustrating. Part of the conditions of being able to open up rely on testing, but taking a week to get results really doesn’t meet that requirement.

carolinamama
05-27-2020, 03:54 PM
So true. The entire response to the pandemic has been so piecemeal. I'm sorry you have to experience it firsthand. Glad you continue to feel well.

LD92599
05-27-2020, 04:10 PM
My family and I were tested on Friday; DH & DS got their results yesterday (negative) and I got mine today (negative).
Make sure you haven't missed any phone calls that might have been the results!

Liziz
05-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Agreed. I've heard a lot of complaints around my area that people get tested and then just never hear anything back. So very frustrating! Sending you P&P for continued health!

PZMommy
05-27-2020, 04:43 PM
My family and I were tested on Friday; DH & DS got their results yesterday (negative) and I got mine today (negative).
Make sure you haven't missed any phone calls that might have been the results!

They email the results here, but I always have my phone on me, as my students’ parents contact me at all hours of the day. I’ve not missed any calls yet.

wencit
05-27-2020, 09:05 PM
That's ridiculous. I had heard reports of test results taking a week to come back, but that was a while ago. I would have thought things are better by now. Sorry you are dealing with this frustration! I hope you continue to do well and that you get your results soon.

georgiegirl
05-27-2020, 09:52 PM
When one of DH’s co workers was tested (he’s a doctor who was exposed via his son), it took 10 days to get his results back.

ellies mom
05-27-2020, 10:57 PM
That is nuts. I got my test results back the next day. So I only missed two days of work. Thankfully, my husband was off those days so he didn’t have to miss work while waiting for my results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
05-27-2020, 11:18 PM
That is nuts. I got my test results back the next day. So I only missed two days of work. Thankfully, my husband was off those days so he didn’t have to miss work while waiting for my results.

I never thought about having to miss work!! Thankfully we don’t have that issue since both DH and I are teachers and are working from home. My school is now closed for 2 weeks. If this is happening when less than 10 people are on campus at a time, what will happen if schools open in the fall? They will constantly be getting shut down for 2 weeks!

georgiegirl
05-27-2020, 11:29 PM
I never thought about having to miss work!! Thankfully we don’t have that issue since both DH and I are teachers and are working from home. My school is now closed for 2 weeks. If this is happening when less than 10 people are on campus at a time, what will happen if schools open in the fall? They will constantly be getting shut down for 2 weeks!

My husbands partner (MD who sees cancer patients) went back to work right after he was tested. Yes, he wore an N95 mask. He didn’t have any symptoms but he was exposed and was required to be tested as a health care worker

essnce629
05-28-2020, 06:00 AM
I never thought about having to miss work!! Thankfully we don’t have that issue since both DH and I are teachers and are working from home. My school is now closed for 2 weeks. If this is happening when less than 10 people are on campus at a time, what will happen if schools open in the fall? They will constantly be getting shut down for 2 weeks!What's the point of shutting down for 2 whole weeks? I've heard of grocery stores closing for a "deep cleaning" after an employee tests positive, but the most I've heard is for 24-48 hours. The Ralph's walking distance to my house had an employee die of Covid just 2 weeks ago and as far as I know the store never even shut down for a cleaning!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

wendibird22
05-28-2020, 09:29 AM
Parts of NY are now experiencing a 7-14, yes 14, day delay at the labs due to the NY mandate that nursing home residents and employees get tested twice weekly. The labs can’t keep up with that volume state wide.

PZMommy
05-28-2020, 11:12 AM
What's the point of shutting down for 2 whole weeks? I've heard of grocery stores closing for a "deep cleaning" after an employee tests positive, but the most I've heard is for 24-48 hours. The Ralph's walking distance to my house had an employee die of Covid just 2 weeks ago and as far as I know the store never even shut down for a cleaning!

My guess is it takes that long for the district to get someone there to deep clean it, because our regular custodial staff is not the one cleaning. Plus they probably want to make sure that if anyone else was exposed they stay away for the 14 days. I know one of the guidelines for reopening is that any class where there is a positive case, the entire class has to quarantine for 14 days. I’m pretty sure that is in the CDC guidelines for schools.

PZMommy
05-28-2020, 11:16 AM
Just got my email with my test results and the test was negative, which is what I assumed! Big relief!!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Just got my email with my test results and the test was negative, which is what I assumed! Big relief!!!

Thank goodness!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
05-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Great news!!!

Globetrotter
05-28-2020, 07:29 PM
I'm glad the test was negative. phew.

bisous
05-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Wow! What a relief! My mom was tested. She had a cough but had been seriously social distancing for weeks at this point. Still her PCP wanted her to take a test, just in case. They told her at the testing place that she'd have results in 24 hours. She was pleasantly surprised! But then it actually took closer to 6 days.... She might not have minded that quite so much if the promise hadn't been for a much earlier time period. Thankfully she was unsurprisingly negative as well!

PZMommy
05-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Wow! What a relief! My mom was tested. She had a cough but had been seriously social distancing for weeks at this point. Still her PCP wanted her to take a test, just in case. They told her at the testing place that she'd have results in 24 hours. She was pleasantly surprised! But then it actually took closer to 6 days.... She might not have minded that quite so much if the promise hadn't been for a much earlier time period. Thankfully she was unsurprisingly negative as well!

I'm glad your mom's test came back negative as well! At one point a couple of weeks ago I think they had it down to about 24 hours, but then they got backlogged again. I know they just added a testing site at Dodger's Stadium and they brag about it being the largest testing site in the country. That's great, but I'm sure that will just add to the delays in getting results.

nfceagles
05-29-2020, 12:54 PM
I read an article yesterday that the machines that read the tests are the latest shortage in the supply chain after swabs and reagents and such were finally catching up.

PZMommy
05-29-2020, 04:20 PM
I read an article yesterday that the machines that read the tests are the latest shortage in the supply chain after swabs and reagents and such were finally catching up.

Makes sense. And funny thing about the swabs. I know there is a huge shortage of them. Yet in the packet that they give you at the test site, there are two swabs in each packet. I'm sure it is for if you make a mistake and need to redo it. However, that is a huge waste of swabs, because they do not take those back and tell you to toss them when you get home. If my county is doing 40,000 tests per week, that is 40,000 swabs being wasted!

niccig
05-29-2020, 09:51 PM
Glad to hear you’re negative. A teacher at my school tested positive but school wasn’t open so he wasn’t on site. I go in next week to pack up both my rooms.

PZMommy
05-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear you’re negative. A teacher at my school tested positive but school wasn’t open so he wasn’t on site. I go in next week to pack up both my rooms.

I hope the teacher is doing okay. I'm glad your school hasn't been open. Our office manager is really struggling. She is probably mid 40's in good health, but she has been fighting it for nearly 6 weeks now and has been hospitalized twice. Just when she thinks she is doing better, she takes a turn for the worse. It's scary!

niccig
05-30-2020, 12:22 AM
I hope the teacher is doing okay. I'm glad your school hasn't been open. Our office manager is really struggling. She is probably mid 40's in good health, but she has been fighting it for nearly 6 weeks now and has been hospitalized twice. Just when she thinks she is doing better, she takes a turn for the worse. It's scary!

Yikes! Hope she gets better. This is just so crazy! The teacher at my school has recovered. Apparently the area of my school has had increased numbers. I’m going to quickly pack up and get out of there.