PDA

View Full Version : Wear Your Masks!

klwa
06-09-2020, 06:55 AM
Yesterday, my oldest two had to go into the school to drop off their Chromebooks/prove they hadn't done any damage to said Chromebooks. We get there an hour after drop off started, and there's a short line spaced 6' apart in front of the school. I have the kids put their masks on, put mine on, and go join the line. We were literally the only people in line wearing masks, although the teachers inside had theirs on. Well, sort of. Half of them were wearing them with their noses hanging out. And of course, the Facebook friend of mine who has been posting about how the whole thing is a hoax is standing directly in front of us, and rolls his eyes at us. His wife & I had a normal 6' apart conversation about what's been going on, but he's walking directly up to people, etc. Thankfully he stayed away from us. But seriously. WHY did none of these people wear a durn mask?

Indianamom2
06-09-2020, 11:49 AM
I don't understand it either. Such a simple thing to try to protect everyone...🤗

petesgirl
06-09-2020, 02:06 PM
I've seen mask wearing drop off considerably here over the past few weeks.
At our school drop off we weren't allowed to get out of our vehicle and we were warned in an email that an assistant wouldn't even approach our vehicle to help us if they could see we weren't wearing a mask.

nfceagles
06-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Mask wearing rates are very low here in London too. Even in places like small grocery stores. They finally made them mandatory on public transportation. That just went into effect yesterday. Before that only probably a 1/4 of people on busses wore them. I haven’t been on the tube in months to see how it is there, but I can see people on busses from my front window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
06-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Masks are still required here, and people are pretty good about it. I had to go pick up my son's yard sign today, and all the kids, parents, staff were wearing masks. For me the hardest part is the 6 feet away. I just wanted to give his teachers a hug and thank them for everything, but obviously I can't do that.

Gracemom
06-09-2020, 10:52 PM
We went to my dd's high school to drop off a uniform and instead of a drop off car lane you had to park and go inside. We wore masks but the teachers didn't. I was not happy.

niccig
06-09-2020, 10:58 PM
Masks are still required here, and people are pretty good about it. I had to go pick up my son's yard sign today, and all the kids, parents, staff were wearing masks. For me the hardest part is the 6 feet away. I just wanted to give his teachers a hug and thank them for everything, but obviously I can't do that.

I’m still seeing people wearing masks. DS had to pick up shoes left in his PE locker and school said they wouldn’t let anyone in without a mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2020, 08:35 AM
Required here too. Ds1 just had awards and graduation (2 events) last week on campus and everyone had their masks on. Only time we could pull them off was for a super quick family picture. I saw one guy at Home Depot walking in without a mask but the rest of his family had one so maybe he just hadn’t put it on yet. I feel very lucky to have such great compliance!
Now, I had furniture delivered yesterday and in the email re. the delivery I was told the crew would wear masks, gloves and shoe covers. They wore none of the above.

bisous
06-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Around here the schools and Costco are requiring masks but Target was about 50/50. I think the ordinance in the neighboring county (Niccig's, essence, PZmommy, and others) is stricter. It makes a difference!

DualvansMommy
06-10-2020, 09:18 AM
Interesting to see how counties within a state differs and even state to state. Here it’s mask up everywhere! If you want to gain entry inside a business, mask up or they’ll ask you leave. Someone in TJ tried that in a town 20 mins away and it didn’t end well for that customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wendibird22
06-10-2020, 12:35 PM
Still mixed success with masks here in NY even though you are directed by the Governor to wear them when you cannot be 6ft apart or anywhere indoors with the public. I went to a BLM protest/rally yesterday in the neighboring small town (VERY red county) and the organizers did a good job encouraging participants to wear masks and socially distance. There were easily 400+ people in a smallish town park and every single person had a mask. Every one. Of course, being a BLM rally in small town USA, you figure that was pure liberal leaning people who would support mask wearing. But still it was comforting. And people did quite a good job with social distancing. Not perfect, but people weren't all up in each other space either.

NCGrandma
06-10-2020, 12:41 PM
My county just announced that masks will be required through August — I think this is longer than the current State requirement, although the state may keep extending theirs. It applies to almost anywhere indoors except your own home, any public transportation, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PZMommy
06-10-2020, 03:07 PM
I’m still seeing people wearing masks. DS had to pick up shoes left in his PE locker and school said they wouldn’t let anyone in without a mask.

Two middle schools in the NW valley are now closed for 14 days due to a covid case among the staff. I don’t know how they expect us to be on campus in any form come August if we can’t even control things with 10 people on campus!

doberbrat
06-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Our kids were NOT allowed to go to lockers. In Elem, teachers bagged stuff and it was curbside pickup. Teachers were required to wear masks & gloves. Families had to be masked and stay in cars.

In MS masks and gloves for all were required. Belongings were bagged and put in the gym 6ft apart. Go in grab your stuff and leave. No mask/no gloves? No entry.

I'd say 1/2 of the protesters I've seen are maskless. :( Someone asked about it on nextdoor and they were told its riskier not to march/protest.

hbridge
06-10-2020, 04:23 PM
We are all about the masks as well. HOWEVER, if you are outside and there is a random person or two without masks there may be a medical/sensory reason. I try not to assume anything.

However, the teachers not wearing masks for device dropoff, locker cleanout, ect. is NOT okay. Especially since masks may be required for Fall.

mom2binsd
06-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Two weeks ago DS went to his Jr High to pick up stuff from their lockers/nurses office etc. Kids had assigned times to space out the number arriving, they were all required to wear masks.

All BLM protests have been with almost all wearing masks, and last week it was 90 degrees. I saw in facebook post that the protest organizers said, all participants not wearing masks will be asked to leave the rally.

Most people inside grocery stores etc are wearing masks.

We have outside dining now, the servers have to wear a mask at all times.

Most aren't wearing a mask outdoors, as it's easy to maintain a safe distance.

We are in IL, in a small city, 2 hours from Chicago, very low low numbers. Our state is apparently one of the few following the "phases" for opening pretty strictly.

klwa
06-11-2020, 06:28 AM
I think part of the issue is that we're in a small town, where there haven't been many reported cases. (Although, at one point, our county had the highest death rate in the state due to a very bad round in a nursing home. The nursing home DH's grandfather moved out of a year ago...) So, when I go to the grocery store, etc., I'm one of the few that actually wear a mask. I went to the closest city to stock up on some bulk items at BJs this weekend, and saw maybe 2 people in the entire store without a mask on. But our little town, everyone feels "safe".

KrisM
06-11-2020, 06:54 AM
They seem to be decreasing here in stores now that we are opening up more. Our town hasn't had a new case in a few weeks, which is good, but I think it's giving people an excuse not to wear them.

Middle school bagged all the locker stuff and everything else and it was a car pick up. We dropped off library books and they gave out the bags. High school kids went in, spaced out over a week, and did their own lockers. Masks required.

Some sports were able to start outdoor work outs this week. Pictures were posted by the school district on FB. The people taking temperatures were within arms length of the students and no one was wearing a mask or staying apart from each other. I emailed the athletic director and superintendent about it as the state requirements are for coaches and personnel to wear masks. They said they are going to change that now. I find it super frustrating that they couldn't get that right on day 1 though. It's a requirement in the state still, let alone with the athletic association.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Interesting to see how counties within a state differs and even state to state. Here it’s mask up everywhere! If you want to gain entry inside a business, mask up or they’ll ask you leave. ...

I'm in Mercer and, even down to Burlington (DH makes occasional runs to a butcher there rather than getting meat processed through Purdue or Tyson) if you're going inside, you need a mask. I thought it was a statewide order as a condition for the business to open, but I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't paying super-close attention.

mom2binsd
06-14-2020, 08:38 PM
I hadn't been to our grocery store in over a week, but I"d say 95% of customers had masks and all of the staff today. Same at Old Navy (I had a return that was sitting in my closet since early March). Was glad to see. I will say, Illinois is the only state in the country that has the best/highest decrease in cases/hospitalizations, folks have complained that other states around us have opened up faster, but our Governor has been steadfast in his resolve to do this right.

hellokitty
06-14-2020, 09:00 PM
I live in an area where people think it's a hoax. I in healthcare and was redeployed to a front line covid position. I want to shake people and tell them it is not a frickin' hoax. The lack of mask wearing makes me want to scream. I wear full ppe and masks ALL day at work. My family and I also wear masks when we are out in public in a building. Our area never saw higher than about 30% of people wearing masks, now it's like maybe 5% wear masks! I went to sam's club on Thursday to shop, the only ones wearing masks were the employees and ME, NONE of the other customers (and it was busy) were wearing masks. People act like the re-opening of our state meant that there are zero precautions.

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2020, 09:08 PM
I hadn't been to our grocery store in over a week, but I"d say 95% of customers had masks and all of the staff today. Same at Old Navy (I had a return that was sitting in my closet since early March). Was glad to see. I will say, Illinois is the only state in the country that has the best/highest decrease in cases/hospitalizations, folks have complained that other states around us have opened up faster, but our Governor has been steadfast in his resolve to do this right.

Same experience here today. Glad to see that people are just wearing them as commonplace. Some mask-less guy at Home Depot today questioned an employee about the policy but when told he needed one he just asked if he could buy one. He thought they weren’t required but was chill when told otherwise. I was expecting him to fuss.
Now, at Target today like 1 in 5 people had their noses uncovered. First I’d seen that and then to see so many at once was baffling.

hbridge
06-20-2020, 02:37 PM
YES! I just came from the local farm stand and there was this guy right next to me the whole time without a mask! I kept moving away and he was there (this is a small, outdoor area). Everyone else had a mask on. It is the law in our community (with some exceptions that may have included him, that's fine, just socially distance!)! If you can't wear a mask, we all have to be understanding, but then you need to be even more aware of social distancing and not walk up and stand right next to someone! Wait, there are enough strawberries for all of us!

bisous
06-20-2020, 06:45 PM
New CA ordinance to wear masks while indoors and today at Target EVERYONE WAS WEARING MASKS. Yay!

Globetrotter
06-22-2020, 03:11 AM
I’m They mandated it. Although local people seem to listen, this should help a lot. Although I have noticed A lot of people don’t wear them properly. There needs to be a huge education campaign around HOW to wear it, on TV, online, whatever.
I picked up pizza yesterday and the girl working there was only covering her mouth, not her nose. One of the customers was not covering his nose and when he spoke to her he literally pulled his mask down, which defeats the purpose of wearing it. Very annoying.

KrisM
06-22-2020, 07:11 AM
They are mandated in Michigan and have been since the end of April, I believe. We're doing pretty well overall right now, as a state. Probably 75% of people are wearing them inside with most of them being worn correctly. One grocery store I go to is 100% so far. It's not close to me, but I would go there if my local store drops much lower than it is at now. We've done curbside pizza a couple times, as it's great with masked workers coming to the car.

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2020, 08:34 AM
I’m They mandated it. Although local people seem to listen, this should help a lot. Although I have noticed A lot of people don’t wear them properly. There needs to be a huge education campaign around HOW to wear it, on TV, online, whatever.
I picked up pizza yesterday and the girl working there was only covering her mouth, not her nose. One of the customers was not covering his nose and when he spoke to her he literally pulled his mask down, which defeats the purpose of wearing it. Very annoying.

I came home upset because there were a ton of people with their noses exposed at the grocery store. Dh- who is super vigilant about masks and safety- talked me down. You want their mask to keep their droplets from reaching you. Unless they sneeze, it’s mostly a concern what comes out of their mouth. Their mask won’t work as well to protect them but it won’t really affect you.

wendibird22
06-22-2020, 09:44 AM
We got take out the other night. Not a single employee with a mask. DH had his on. He asked the owner who rang him out and she said she’s yet to wear one and they don’t have to. Except in NY yes they do. Every employee must wear one by law. We called our county health dept. to file a complaint. Any business not complying is subject to a $500-1000 fine. I don’t like penalizing businesses financially but also don’t like a business who is blatantly violating the rules and not keeping their employees or customers safe.

twowhat?
06-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Ugh YES. The county that I live in FINALLY was able to pass a mandate (previously unable to thanks to stupid governor) requiring that businesses require masks for all employees and patrons. I went to pick up dinner yesterday for Father's Day and EVERYONE was wearing a mask....except for 2 older white guys. And, I am sorry to say, when I see people not wearing masks, it is usually older white guys :( Not trying to be political or racist or anything but I do think this is a reflection of our President.

bisous
06-22-2020, 10:20 AM
I came home upset because there were a ton of people with their noses exposed at the grocery store. Dh- who is super vigilant about masks and safety- talked me down. You want their mask to keep their droplets from reaching you. Unless they sneeze, it’s mostly a concern what comes out of their mouth. Their mask won’t work as well to protect them but it won’t really affect you.

The taking the mask off to talk thing really gets me. I was at Costco the other day which has required masks for entry since early May. I had to pass a gentleman in an aisle that was not only taking up the entire thing but had also removed his mask so he could yell into his cell phone at someone. I'm sure he was dispersing a ton of droplets. I went around.

Generally though I'm with you that even if worn imperfectly I'm STILL glad for it but yes, a little messaging on how that's done would be really effective!

lizzywednesday
06-22-2020, 09:43 PM
... Although I have noticed A lot of people don’t wear them properly. There needs to be a huge education campaign around HOW to wear it, on TV, online, whatever...

Agreed. Dude at the thrift shop where I donated a bunch of stuff was another "nose is hanging out" person and I didn't lose my sh!t with him, but there has to be a compliance campaign. We managed that with handwashing, why not this? (Also, as an aside, can we also remind folks that disposable masks/gloves aren't flushable? And leaving them in the parking lot after you've taken them off is disgusting?)

NCGrandma
06-22-2020, 10:13 PM
Also, as an aside, can we also remind folks that disposable masks/gloves aren't flushable? And leaving them in the parking lot after you've taken them off is disgusting?)

Good grief! The local sewage treatment folks already have an ad campaign reminding people not to flush wipes. Masks and gloves now, too? And in parking lots? Yet another reason I’m glad that I’m still staying home!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
06-22-2020, 10:55 PM
Agreed. Dude at the thrift shop where I donated a bunch of stuff was another "nose is hanging out" person and I didn't lose my sh!t with him, but there has to be a compliance campaign. We managed that with handwashing, why not this? (Also, as an aside, can we also remind folks that disposable masks/gloves aren't flushable? And leaving them in the parking lot after you've taken them off is disgusting?)

They’re all over the trails in our parks too. People can be so inconsiderate!!

Kestrel
06-23-2020, 02:52 PM
People said upthread that's it's "the law". I know it's been "mandated" or "ordinance" or health department "recommendations". I don't know anyplace that has actually made wearing masks into law, with all the red tape that involves. Until an actual, real law is passed, it's not enforceable.
Public/government offices can make rules about their building. Private companies can say you are not allowed in without a mask (ie Costco). But honestly, I don't think mask rules are enforceable, and until they are - there will be idiots. Some places have more than their share - but some everywhere. Until there are penalties, there will be rule breakers.

wendibird22
06-23-2020, 07:36 PM
People said upthread that's it's "the law". I know it's been "mandated" or "ordinance" or health department "recommendations". I don't know anyplace that has actually made wearing masks into law, with all the red tape that involves. Until an actual, real law is passed, it's not enforceable.
Public/government offices can make rules about their building. Private companies can say you are not allowed in without a mask (ie Costco). But honestly, I don't think mask rules are enforceable, and until they are - there will be idiots. Some places have more than their share - but some everywhere. Until there are penalties, there will be rule breakers.

NY has executive orders which are enforceable. Businesses can be fined, lose their liquor license, or be shut down for violating the requirement that employees must wear masks. Executive orders in NY state are not statutes but have the force of law.

dogmom
06-23-2020, 08:41 PM
OK, I admit. I cheat and loudly say “I’m an ICU nurse working in a Covid surge unit, it’s really for YOUR safety.” People are fairly good here, but there are defiantly mixed messages given about wearing them outside. You should always have one on you.

lizzywednesday
06-23-2020, 09:42 PM
NY has executive orders which are enforceable. Businesses can be fined, lose their liquor license, or be shut down for violating the requirement that employees must wear masks. Executive orders in NY state are not statutes but have the force of law.

In NJ this is also the case. There's even a form at the state COVID-19 page to report people/businesses who've violated the EO's.

PZMommy
06-23-2020, 11:39 PM
California also has a place to report businesses not following rules. They cited over 1000 businesses already. If people would just follow the rules we might not be in this bad of a predicament. Of course if we had some federal guidance and didn’t just let every state do their own thing, we’d be in better shape, but that is a whole separate BP.

wendibird22
06-24-2020, 08:20 AM
California also has a place to report businesses not following rules. They cited over 1000 businesses already. If people would just follow the rules we might not be in this bad of a predicament. Of course if we had some federal guidance and didn’t just let every state do their own thing, we’d be in better shape, but that is a whole separate BP.

And if we didn't have a president holding in-person campaign rallies that fly in the face of all sound medical guidance for mitigation...

lizzywednesday
06-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Good grief! The local sewage treatment folks already have an ad campaign reminding people not to flush wipes. Masks and gloves now, too? And in parking lots? Yet another reason I’m glad that I’m still staying home!

I haven't been out many places that I have to get out of the car yet (donations for the thrift shop being the exception; I wore a bandana tied over my mouth & nose - I have asthma and DD has heart issues, so we are both in higher-risk groups for severe cases) and haven't seen it by me, but Billy Penn posted about the situation in the Philadelphia area back in April (https://billypenn.com/2020/04/28/phillys-water-systems-are-being-clogged-by-fatbergs-of-ppe/). This has been confirmed anecdotally for parts of NYC by my brother Joe, who lives on the Upper West Side.

Philly media also posted about flushed wipes (https://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-covid-19-ppe-wipes-flushing-water-department-masks-gloves-ppe-coronavirus/) the same day.

It blows my mind.

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2020, 12:03 PM
I haven't been out many places that I have to get out of the car yet (donations for the thrift shop being the exception; I wore a bandana tied over my mouth & nose - I have asthma and DD has heart issues, so we are both in higher-risk groups for severe cases) and haven't seen it by me, but Billy Penn posted about the situation in the Philadelphia area back in April (https://billypenn.com/2020/04/28/phillys-water-systems-are-being-clogged-by-fatbergs-of-ppe/). This has been confirmed anecdotally for parts of NYC by my brother Joe, who lives on the Upper West Side.

Philly media also posted about flushed wipes (https://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-covid-19-ppe-wipes-flushing-water-department-masks-gloves-ppe-coronavirus/) the same day.

It blows my mind.

Do you need an N95 sent to you? With the health conditions your bandana isn’t adequate.

lizzywednesday
06-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Do you need an N95 sent to you? With the health conditions your bandana isn’t adequate.

Thank you. DH has some masks labeled N95, but I'm not entirely sure about them. The bandana at least allows me the feeling of control and a way to start to get used to having *something* on my/DD's face until I can get needles for my sewing machine or order commercially-made items.

In the meantime, I'm not going anywhere other than the pharmacy drive-thru.

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Thank you. DH has some masks labeled N95, but I'm not entirely sure about them. The bandana at least allows me the feeling of control and a way to start to get used to having *something* on my/DD's face until I can get needles for my sewing machine or order commercially-made items.

In the meantime, I'm not going anywhere other than the pharmacy drive-thru.

Definitely use the N95s. That’s what you need. [emoji4] Those are the best of the best- no need to make an inferior item. I will wear a homemade one if I know I won’t encounter people and simply doing it per regulations so I get it. If the N95 had a different strap I’d always choose it but I really like the quick ease of the ear loop only design.

jgenie
06-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Has anyone seen N95 masks available online?

georgiegirl
06-26-2020, 10:30 PM
Has anyone seen N95 masks available online?

We bought a pack of 10 on eBay for a lot of money (for DH to wear to work)

lizzywednesday
06-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Definitely use the N95s. That’s what you need. [emoji4] Those are the best of the best- no need to make an inferior item. I will wear a homemade one if I know I won’t encounter people and simply doing it per regulations so I get it. If the N95 had a different strap I’d always choose it but I really like the quick ease of the ear loop only design.

I forgot that DH sent all the "N95" masks (which, again, I don't entirely trust because of the sourcing and the time when he purchased them) to his parents, who are still in AZ. (And they will be in AZ for at least the next two weeks, then quarantining for another 2 weeks once they return to NJ.)

All people in indoor spaces are masking/covering their faces here, which reduces transmission/droplet transfer as long as you're using multi-layer woven fabric. I still want a public health campaign about properly wearing them so I see fewer noses hanging out. (It's frustrating seeing that, but I have to remind myself that I'm not the mask police.)

I need something more than a single bandana to bring DD to camp, because whether I drop her at the bus or drive her up every day, I will need something covering my mouth & nose ... and so will she. (She'll need at least 2, with a backup, per day.)