PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews for the Grandpad tablet for senior citizens?

ang79
06-15-2020, 10:45 AM
My grandmother lives by herself and quarantine has been very hard for her, she gets very lonely. My uncle checks in on her daily, but she relies on visits from her pastor, family, and other community members, as well as going to church or other community social events. One of my uncles had played around with the idea of getting her an iphone so that she could Facetime family and get to see people, rather than just talking on the phone (which she also does a lot of). She does not have wi-fi at her house and has never had a computer. She does have a cell phone, but I'm pretty sure its a flip phone. She just doesn't like technology and isn't sure how to use it. Thankfully, her county is now done with the stay at home order and church has resumed (outdoor services for the summer) and with the nice weather she can be outside. But come winter she will be mostly stuck inside again (she doesn't like to go out if there is snow/ice for fear of falling). I saw a device called the Grandpad, which is like an ipad but supposed to be more senior citizen friendly. It looks like it only runs on Consumer Cellular, which I'm not sure if that would get good enough service at her house (they live out in the country, most people have Verizon cell phones there), but my uncles could get wi-fi at the house if that would help. My dad is also not very tech savvy and told me to call my youngest uncle to discuss options. When we have asked her about using an iphone or ipad, she says she doesn't know if she can learn how to use it, that its too confusing. That's why I thought the Grandpad might be an easier option to help her stay connected to other people, especially if the virus has a second wave in the winter and quarantines happen again. Has anyone here had any experience with it?

jgenie
06-15-2020, 11:18 AM
I don’t have any experience with the Grandpad. If you get her a refurbished Ipad, I bet she can learn to FaceTime. My mom has one. She doesn’t initiate FaceTime calls because she hasn’t sat down to figure it out. She doesn’t have any trouble responding to my kids when they FaceTime her though. She just has to press the screen to connect.

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2020, 12:54 PM
My dad is super not tech savvy but loves his iPad. I wouldn’t get a gimmicky device. Stick with a grief and true. It’ll be easier to get support for and you can help them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

NCGrandma
06-15-2020, 12:57 PM
In general, I’m skeptical of the various "just for old people" technology options (special computers, tablets, phones, email systems — would you really want to have an email address at "pawpawmail"?). The main reason is the specially configured hardware is usually overpriced and the software is so locked down that only the vendor can help in case of problems. For that reason, these systems usually require a monthly subscription in addition to whatever other costs (like monthly cell service) may apply.

One of my neighbors has a computer like this, and when she has had problems, neither our CCRC IT staff nor various retired techies can do anything. She has paid a LOT of $$ over the years but is so locked in to the provided email etc that she’s stuck.

At a quick look, the GrandPad looks similar. I’m guessing it’s a customized Android tablet, and from the pictures it looks like it’s about the size of a Kindle Fire.

Personally, I think a full-size iPad is an easier size for someone with any vision problems, and an iPhone is too small, especially for longish FaceTime chats. But that requires some sort of internet access.

Even though it sounds like I’m trying to talk you out of this, I’m mostly advising caution with the GrandPad (especially since there may be all sorts of hidden costs). I’m a BIG fan of video chats — just ask my 8 y.o. DGD2, who I "see" almost every day!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
06-15-2020, 02:14 PM
We got an iPad for FIL in April for his birthday. He still has a flip phone. It’s gone great for FaceTime. Sil loaded some apps set up his mail and we chat on how to do things. He can check his banking and do a few other things instead of logging on his computer.

doberbrat
06-15-2020, 02:44 PM
If you're already an apple family, I'd do an Ipad w/3G. That would be easiest. Register the device to one of the kids so that you can support it remotely. If not, or if cost in an issue, a kindle w/3g would work and be less expensive.

ang79
06-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I agree that an ipad would be more practical for the cost but I really don't think she would use it, I think she would get frustrated. Her memory is also starting to go, so even if my uncle stays with her a few days to help her get used to using it, I don't think she will remember. She's of the old school mindset that if you aren't using something you turn it off to save electricity, that's what she does with the Skylight frame the cousins bought for her for Christmas. Then she forgets about using it, unless someone is there and asks her to turn it on. My other grandmother has a Kindle Fire and I got my aunt to put Skype on it so that we could video chat, but she never remembers which button to click or how to call me on it, then turns it off when she is not looking at it, so we've just gone back to normal telephone calls. I just feel bad that she is by herself and lonely and thought video chatting might be nicer than phone calls, and the girls could play their instruments and show her things they are doing.

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2020, 07:48 PM
What about an Echo Show? My in-laws and their kids that are scattered around the country use those. Just sjts there and then it rings when people want chat. I think that might be a great choice. Video chat.

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Just because it’s funny... https://youtu.be/YvT_gqs5ETk

ang79
06-15-2020, 08:20 PM
What about an Echo Show? My in-laws and their kids that are scattered around the country use those. Just sjts there and then it rings when people want chat. I think that might be a great choice. Video chat.

It looks like other people calling need to have an Echo Show to use the video chat though?

So my family is mixed when it comes to android and iphone users. And my dad and uncle who live closest to my grandmother and check in on her do not know much about technology or ipads/iphones. The uncle that suggested setting something up for her has an iphone, as do most of the grandkids I think. With the Grandpad, it looks like anyone with a phone can put the app on their phone to video call her, and the family member in charge of setting up the account can put pictures of each person in the address book so its easy to find people to call. It really does sound like a dumbed down ipad or other tablet, but that is exactly what she needs, anything with more features would just overwhelm her.

jgenie
06-15-2020, 08:40 PM
It looks like other people calling need to have an Echo Show to use the video chat though?

So my family is mixed when it comes to android and iphone users. And my dad and uncle who live closest to my grandmother and check in on her do not know much about technology or ipads/iphones. The uncle that suggested setting something up for her has an iphone, as do most of the grandkids I think. With the Grandpad, it looks like anyone with a phone can put the app on their phone to video call her, and the family member in charge of setting up the account can put pictures of each person in the address book so its easy to find people to call. It really does sound like a dumbed down ipad or other tablet, but that is exactly what she needs, anything with more features would just overwhelm her.

You can remove all the extras from the iPad so she only has the items she would use.

DualvansMommy
06-15-2020, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I agree that an ipad would be more practical for the cost but I really don't think she would use it, I think she would get frustrated. Her memory is also starting to go, so even if my uncle stays with her a few days to help her get used to using it, I don't think she will remember. She's of the old school mindset that if you aren't using something you turn it off to save electricity, that's what she does with the Skylight frame the cousins bought for her for Christmas. Then she forgets about using it, unless someone is there and asks her to turn it on. My other grandmother has a Kindle Fire and I got my aunt to put Skype on it so that we could video chat, but she never remembers which button to click or how to call me on it, then turns it off when she is not looking at it, so we've just gone back to normal telephone calls. I just feel bad that she is by herself and lonely and thought video chatting might be nicer than phone calls, and the girls could play their instruments and show her things they are doing.

You got a lot of great advice. I would stick with either an iPad or echo show, which we both have. Some people just can’t gel with technology, no matter how much support grandkids, in laws etc give.

I say this based on my kids 3 set of grandparents; one set is very tech savvy with their iPhones, iPads and even are on my oldest kids messenger FB to chat and video calls. 2nd set is my mom who is just ok. Has to be very simple and bare minimum, can only manage an iPad with people calling her. She can’t figure out how to find/call/connect to family from her own iPad. Likewise with her kindle that we gave her one xmas as a gift, so went back to her books. Then there’s my in laws who have rejected the simple devices like iPad, echo dot, echo show but get a flip phone and a very expensive computer that they still can’t figure how to use.

You can try lending her one of the family iPad? See how your grandma likes it and use, If it’s a go then chip in for a iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pharmjenn
06-16-2020, 11:55 AM
My sister had heard about the Grandpad and asked me about it. For our father, going blind, signs of dementia and depression, it would not be a good investment. There is an initial cost to getting the pad, then a monthly fee of about $20. Too expensive for an item we know won't get used.