PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Summer Bridge Workbook? Grade 5-6

carolinamama
06-15-2020, 04:57 PM
I think my kids want a break from online learning after the last 3 months. I'm not a high-pressure mom but want them to at least work on some math this summer. DS2 wants a workbook instead of an online program and honestly, I don't blame him. Does anyone have any suggestions?

wencit
06-15-2020, 06:18 PM
DS2 is doing Beast Academy workbooks this summer. They have 2 guides for each level, one that teaches kids about the concepts and then another with practice problems. The teaching guide uses cartoon-like characters in a comic-book format and is very kid-friendly. Beast Academy is the younger version of Art of Problem Solving.

Melaine
06-16-2020, 10:52 AM
We have been really impressed with Math Mammoth. DS liked our free trial of Beast academy also.

IansMom
06-16-2020, 11:14 AM
ODS will start 6th grade this fall. He enjoys workbooks and does a few each summer. Here are my reviewss:
*Summer Bridge Activities (Carson Dellosa)—this seems to be one of the most popular series and I think it’s one of the most comprehensive because it includes social studies, science and fitness in a addition to reading, writing and math. I think it would take the longest for a student to complete fail. ODS did it one summer when I was concerned and I felt he needed a LOT review.

*Scholastic Weekly Reader Summer Express focuses on ELA and math. I love this series! I have also bought this for my two nephews. For 5th to 6th grade, you have to download it from the scholastic website.

Daily Summer Activities (Evan-Moor) includes ELA, math, critical thinking and geography. I got this one at the beginning of the quarantine because I liked the weekly word lists and I thought ODS would enjoy the critical thinking activities (which he does).

*Brain Quest Summer Workbook—I think this one is easiest/most simplistic. I wanted a workbook that offered some math AND ELA daily. I’m not sure if the format has changed but that is why I didn’t select it years ago.

————————
Evan Moor makes a series of “Skill Sharpeners” workbooks that I think are really good. ODS is working through the math version. Also, The Critical Thinking Company also makes great workbooks.

WatchingThemGrow
06-16-2020, 01:31 PM
We've used Math Mammoth because we had it from a homeschool season years ago. Also going to use Michael Clay Thompson Grammar...or at least give it a try for the 3rd summer in a row. We don't do well enforcing schoolwork over the summer.

jgenie
06-16-2020, 02:02 PM
ODS will start 6th grade this fall. He enjoys workbooks and does a few each summer. Here are my reviewss:
*Summer Bridge Activities (Carson Dellosa)—this seems to be one of the most popular series and I think it’s one of the most comprehensive because it includes social studies, science and fitness in a addition to reading, writing and math. I think it would take the longest for a student to complete fail. ODS did it one summer when I was concerned and I felt he needed a LOT review.

*Scholastic Weekly Reader Summer Express focuses on ELA and math. I love this series! I have also bought this for my two nephews. For 5th to 6th grade, you have to download it from the scholastic website.

Daily Summer Activities (Evan-Moor) includes ELA, math, critical thinking and geography. I got this one at the beginning of the quarantine because I liked the weekly word lists and I thought ODS would enjoy the critical thinking activities (which he does).

*Brain Quest Summer Workbook—I think this one is easiest/most simplistic. I wanted a workbook that offered some math AND ELA daily. I’m not sure if the format has changed but that is why I didn’t select it years ago.

————————
Evan Moor makes a series of “Skill Sharpeners” workbooks that I think are really good. ODS is working through the math version. Also, The Critical Thinking Company also makes great workbooks.

Thank you for taking the time to post this! I ordered some Evan Moor books.

SUMMER25 will get you 25% off summer workbooks at Evan Moore.

gymnbomb
06-16-2020, 02:50 PM
And now I want to buy ALL of the workbooks!

carolinamama
06-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Thank you all! I just ordered too many workbooks for my 2 youngest! Guess we will have lots of choice to see what works the best.

carolinacool
06-16-2020, 04:41 PM
Thank you IansMom! I'm ordering Brain Quest 4-5 for my DS. That's about his speed right now, and the fun artwork will hopefully keep him engaged.

essnce629
06-16-2020, 09:23 PM
Thank you! I just ordered the Summer Brain Quest: Between Grades 5 & 6 workbook for my incoming 6th grader. I also ordered both the 5th and 6th grade Singapore Math Practice Workbooks since my DS2 school uses Singapore Math. Now convincing him to actually do them will be another story! I may have to bribe him!

anatolia
06-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Here is a link for receiving free Evan-Moor Daily Fundamentals ebook:
https://www.evan-moor.com/df-free-pdf-ebook-form

They have the free book for Grade 1 to 6. If you need multiple grades, just request for one grade first and then wait until you get the download email and then continue on to request the next grade.

anatolia
06-18-2020, 04:20 PM

They have the free book for Grade 1 to 6. If you need multiple grades, just request for one grade first and then wait until you get the download email and then continue on to request the next grade.

IansMom
06-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Thank you so much for sharing!