PDA

View Full Version : Face shields

KpbS
06-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Anyone have experience ordering these or wearing them? Any recommendations? My mom looking for one for a small adult and a couple child size.

mom2binsd
06-16-2020, 03:26 PM
Why is she needing a face shield? I can't imagine a situation where a child would need one and they are cumbersome to wear. They are really meant to be worn when someone is working with a patient like in a dental office, doctor and nurses doing procedures. Just trying to figure out the need. There are lots great links to masks in the other thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KpbS
06-16-2020, 03:34 PM
She has had a lot of difficulty wearing the masks and works one on one with children in tutoring situations where they need to see her mouth and hear her speak without it being muffled.

georgiegirl
06-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Why is she needing a face shield? I can't imagine a situation where a child would need one and they are cumbersome to wear. They are really meant to be worn when someone is working with a patient like in a dental office, doctor and nurses doing procedures. Just trying to figure out the need. There are lots great links to masks in the other thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually they are very effective at stopping the spread (it’s arguable whether they are more effective than a mask), and paired with a cloth mask, it’s EXTREMELY SAFE. My husband (physician) wears one at work and, and we are ordering face shields for the whole family. Your eyes are protected and you are less likely to touch your face. You don’t feel as “suffocated” as in a mask. Plus you can see people’s facial expressions, which is good for people who are hard of hearing or deaf.

We called key surgical and ordered some from there. They come in different sizes...9” and 7.5”. The 7.5” fit my 6 year old as well as myself. My husband prefers the 9”. We picked key surgical because that’s the one my husband has from work and he likes it. They are back ordered, so I’m not sure when they will arrive.

nfowife
06-16-2020, 05:14 PM
I ordered a set that are glasses frame mounted for when we return to work (I’m a teacher). More comfortable than a mask and not hurting my head with a headband using the glasses frame. Like this:

ArtToFrames Protective Face Shield, Made in The USA, Fully Transparent Face and Eye Protection from Droplets and Saliva with Reusable Glasses and Replaceable Shield, Anti-Fog. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0882XZN5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Fxt6Eb54X49AB

mommy111
06-16-2020, 06:33 PM
Face shields are great! Better than masks in terms of comfort. For protection I’d probably do mask and face shield. Honestly, the best protection would probably be a stiff plastic bag pulled over the head and open at shoulders to allow breathing but I don’t think anyone thinks that would be a good idea (except me ;))

mom2binsd
06-16-2020, 08:50 PM
She has had a lot of difficulty wearing the masks and works one on one with children in tutoring situations where they need to see her mouth and hear her speak without it being muffled.

That makes sense, was just curious.

dogmom
06-17-2020, 08:08 AM
I wear them at work. The one I have is a cheep one that is supposed to be disposable that I’ve been wearing for 2 months and is still fine. She should clean off the inside and outside with an alcohol swab between kids, lead how to put it on/off by the strap and not the shield, and wash her hands when she puts it on/takes it off. If she does all those things it will increase its effectiveness.

ellies mom
06-17-2020, 08:36 PM
I wear a face shield at work anyways. My favorite is the kind that clips to glasses frames because they stay in place better and don’t “squeeze my brain”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JElaineB
06-17-2020, 11:09 PM
I wear a face shield at work anyways. My favorite is the kind that clips to glasses frames because they stay in place better and don’t “squeeze my brain”.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI ordered the clip-on ones from Pro-Tex Face Shields https://www.protexfaceshields.com/ based on ellies mom's recommendation, but I haven't received them yet. The hospital at the university where I work has been a big proponent of face shields for everyone. More research is needed but it seems they are as good as masks in most everyday situations.

elbenn
07-09-2020, 03:58 PM
I ordered the clip-on ones from Pro-Tex Face Shields https://www.protexfaceshields.com/ based on ellies mom's recommendation, but I haven't received them yet. The hospital at the university where I work has been a big proponent of face shields for everyone. More research is needed but it seems they are as good as masks in most everyday situations.

Any updates on this or other face shields?

petesgirl
07-09-2020, 04:15 PM
I'm curious too, about other face shield options. My state just mandated masks for all K-12 students this fall. My 8 yr old will wear one for a 20-30 mins grocery shopping trip if needed but I can guarantee he will NOT wear a mask for 6 hrs straight at school. I'm hoping maybe he can switch off with a face shield.

KpbS
07-09-2020, 04:16 PM
I found these, but haven't heard from my friend who has ordered them yet.

https://thecoolestshields.com/

elbenn
07-10-2020, 02:38 PM
I ordered the clip-on ones from Pro-Tex Face Shields https://www.protexfaceshields.com/ based on ellies mom's recommendation, but I haven't received them yet. The hospital at the university where I work has been a big proponent of face shields for everyone. More research is needed but it seems they are as good as masks in most everyday situations.

I might order these. I wonder if you can use them with other attachment pieces? Their attachment pieces are kind of expensive. Anyone have these and can comment on them?

JElaineB
07-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Any updates on this or other face shields?

I got the Pro-Tex ones, I wore it one once for only about 15 minutes to my son's oral surgeon follow-up. I clipped it on my glasses and I liked that it was lightweight and not bulky. It can be adjusted easily so that it doesn't fog. You could wear them with any eye glass frames that fit you. I got the longer 8" size and I'm glad I did. They package insert recommends using a frame holding strap, such as an eyewear retainer with them, and i agree as it will help keep your glasses in place. I bought an original Chums for that. The shield is very clear. The only negative is they aren't really non-glare, they aren't bad but there is a bit of reflection. But I haven't found any others with that claim either.

JElaineB
07-10-2020, 02:52 PM
I found these, but haven't heard from my friend who has ordered them yet.

https://thecoolestshields.com/

Fun. I've also been looking at https://www.shieldpals.com/. They have adult and youth sizes.

mom2binsd
07-10-2020, 06:08 PM
I got the Pro-Tex ones, I wore it one once for only about 15 minutes to my son's oral surgeon follow-up. I clipped it on my glasses and I liked that it was lightweight and not bulky. It can be adjusted easily so that it doesn't fog. You could wear them with any eye glass frames that fit you. I got the longer 8" size and I'm glad I did. They package insert recommends using a frame holding strap, such as an eyewear retainer with them, and i agree as it will help keep your glasses in place. I bought an original Chums for that. The shield is very clear. The only negative is they aren't really non-glare, they aren't bad but there is a bit of reflection. But I haven't found any others with that claim either.

So you wore the shield as well as your mask?