PDA

View Full Version : Aldi's?

MSWR0319
06-21-2020, 04:14 PM
We never go to Aldi's but will be near one tomorrow so I plan to stop and get some nut free muffins for DS. Is there anything else worth getting while I'm there? I know some people really love it but due to DS's food allergies I don't normally shop there because of their labels. If there are things that are worth trying, I'll grab them and DH and I can eat them if DS can't. I've heard their alcohol selections are good and cheap. I don't drink much at all, but wouldn't mind having a few things on hand at our lake house just in case.

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Baking supplies (flour, organic sugar, baking powder, vanilla...). All really cheap and good quality.
Paper goods and greeting cards are good there too.

doberbrat
06-21-2020, 04:48 PM
I dont know what your DS' allergies are but surprisingly they have a good GF selection. I like their house brand salad dressings & cookies. Things like canned beans etc.

I've never had a problem shopping there in NC but in MA it's a hot mess - I've found expired foods several times on the shelves. And I once bought minced garlic in a jar and the jar was open and spilled all over my bags. Its a drive for me to get there so I dont bother anymore. I stock up in NC on stuff I want and bring it back.

My favorite store is Lidl which I believe is owned by the same co as Aldi's ... they have similar offerings but more fresh foods and WINE! ;) which is key when I'm in NC with my family!!!

JElaineB
06-21-2020, 07:41 PM
I like their bread and baked goods. Chocolate. Casa Mamita salsa is just like the Tostitos brand my son likes. Benton's cookie thins in several flavors. My son likes their Belmont cookies and cream ice cream, Kirkwood chicken breast fillets (frozen), Savoritz sea salt pita crackers, produce is usually good and inexpensive, yogurt, eggs and dairy products if you do those, hummus.

Liziz
06-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Produce is usually good and inexpensive. We love their store brand salad dressing -- specifically the House Dressing. Their hummus is pretty good, as is their cheese selection. They also have a "heat to serve" type Italian bread (the kind that you bake for awhile in your own oven so it's fresh) -- we LOVE that bread -- we slice it, put olive oil and a light sprinkle of salt, and grill it (instead of baking in the oven). It's delicious.

jgenie
06-21-2020, 09:19 PM
Produce is usually good and inexpensive. We love their store brand salad dressing -- specifically the House Dressing. Their hummus is pretty good, as is their cheese selection. They also have a "heat to serve" type Italian bread (the kind that you bake for awhile in your own oven so it's fresh) -- we LOVE that bread -- [I][I]we slice it, put olive oil and a light sprinkle of salt, and grill it (instead of baking in the oven). It's delicious.

This is genius! We buy a similar bread and love it fresh from the oven with butter but grilled would be great with an app platter. Thanks for sharing!!

lizzywednesday
06-22-2020, 09:40 PM
There's an Aldi about 3 minutes from where we live, so we're fairly regular shoppers there.

Our usuals are:

* Ice Cream (DD likes the Benton's chocolate & refuses pretty much all other brands except Target's)
* Strawberry frozen fruit bars (comparable to Dole brand)
* Chocolate Hazelnut spread (a little runnier than Nutella, but still good; probably not an option for OP)
* sliced chocolate-chip brioche (not sure if this one is particularly safe bc of the chocolate, but they also make a raisin one that's great - we let it go a little stale to use it for French toast)
* DH likes the rye bread
* Take-and-Bake pizzas (Mama Cozzi's, in the refrigerated section)
* pizza rolls (DH prefers the pepperoni)
* Mama Cozzi's pepperoni
* salsa
* vanilla (if I can't spring for Trader Joe's, Aldi's real vanilla extract is the best value)
* brownie mix
* cheese (Happy Farms - brick, pre-shredded, sliced, we use it all)
* refrigerated biscuits; refrigerated cinnamon rolls
* sausages (DD likes the Never Any! maple breakfast sausages)
* Irish butter (comparable to Kerrygold)
* eggs (least expensive dozen in my area, plus they use paper cartons)
* milk
* frozen hash brown patties
* frozen "potato puffs" (a/k/a Tater Tots)
* chocolate bars (I like the Moser Roth sea salt caramel, dark with sea salt, and dark with cranberry varieties best, but occasionally enjoy the dark chili variety; sea salt caramels; mini peanut butter cups)
* taco shells
* potato chips

The produce tends to be hit-or-miss for me, with most of it needing to be used same-day, or you have to spend extra time ensuring it's not already moldy, so YMMV.

rollycolly2007
06-23-2020, 07:46 AM
—Their pants for women. They look like leggings, but they are so comfortable
—Rainboots for the kids/myself
—Umbrellas for the kids ($4.99 each)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

rollycolly2007
06-23-2020, 07:48 AM
I dont know what your DS' allergies are but surprisingly they have a good GF selection. I like their house brand salad dressings & cookies. Things like canned beans etc.

I've never had a problem shopping there in NC but in MA it's a hot mess - I've found expired foods several times on the shelves. And I once bought minced garlic in a jar and the jar was open and spilled all over my bags. Its a drive for me to get there so I dont bother anymore. I stock up in NC on stuff I want and bring it back.

My favorite store is Lidl which I believe is owned by the same co as Aldi's ... they have similar offerings but more fresh foods and WINE! ;) which is key when I'm in NC with my family!!!

I wish Florida had a Lidl. My friend posts all the time about boxes of produce on sale for ridiculously cheap.

Liziz
06-23-2020, 12:46 PM
This is genius! We buy a similar bread and love it fresh from the oven with butter but grilled would be great with an app platter. Thanks for sharing!!

Oh! And to make it even better, have a whole fresh garlic clove peeled and ready, and as soon as the bread comes off the grill, lightly rub the garlic clove over the bread. I could seriously eat a whole loaf! My favorite way is to also grill eggplant in large slices, then serve the bread with the eggplant and sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzerella, and basil. So, so good.

doberbrat
06-23-2020, 01:50 PM
I wish Florida had a Lidl. My friend posts all the time about boxes of produce on sale for ridiculously cheap.

They are expanding. Now as close as Long Island and NJ. They have a few stores in Atlanta too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love their pastries. We also got some great lip balms over Christmas.

Back to Aldi's - one of the fun things is they have a section of 'stuff' that rotates. Housewares, undies etc. My aunt got a bathroom rug set I love. I brought back a shoe rack once. The store in MA near me doesnt have as large a selection there either so - what you find varies by location and day.

This thread is making me want to go back to NC!

div_0305
06-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Aldi and Lidl are not at all related, but frequently mistaken for being related. They do both originate from Germany, but they are about as similar/dissimilar as Costco and Sam's Club.

Aldi is hit or miss for me. Since their model is for as few employees working at a time, I've often left when I just had a couple items to buy and the lines were enormous. Some cashiers are fast, but it's just not a place I often go to. I like that they are getting more items that do not have nasty ingredients, and they have an organic bread loaf that my whole family enjoys (includes sprouted wheat). I bake bread, but for time and convenience, the Aldi loaf is great. Their prices for organic fruit and veg are great, even though selection is limited. Even though Aldi will refund anything you don't like, you need to keep the receipt, bring the item, and stand in the same long line-- so I've never bothered when I've gotten something that ended up being rotten. I like their brand chocolates--ingredients seem fairly clean.

Lidl is an easier place for me to shop--they have self checkout lanes, but a bit glitchy when I've used them, and they will "call out" which cashier lanes are the quickest/shortest to go to. Prices are great. I do not usually get any of the fresh bakery items at Lidl--even before Covid--too many arms and hands reaching through the items and it's a huge PITA to get a hold of the ingredient book from the person behind the counter. Plus, for what I tried, hey look a lot better than they taste. However, I did love some fresh loaves from there, which I got sliced using their DIY slicing machine. Now, though, I don't do any self-service bakery things--even though I know that's not how Covid is transmitted, but that is one way that GI viruses are transmitted. It seemed to me that most of the produce I got at Lidl was much fresher, and I've checked out their back section of varied household goods. Without knowing quality, I've been pretty hesitant on anything too $$. I've seen some local comments saying it's like "Dollar" store stuff, but I'd disagree with that.

Neither store is very close to where I live, but given a choice, I'd go to Lidl. For me personally, nothing beats Trader Joes (also not related to the Aldi Sud company that owns Aldi in the US--it's owned by Aldi Nord which doesn't operate in the US).

doberbrat
06-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Aldi and Lidl are not at all related, but frequently mistaken for being related. They do both originate from Germany, but they are about as similar/dissimilar as Costco and Sam's Club.

Aldi is hit or miss for me. Since their model is for as few employees working at a time, I've often left when I just had a couple items to buy and the lines were enormous. Some cashiers are fast, but it's just not a place I often go to. I like that they are getting more items that do not have nasty ingredients, and they have an organic bread loaf that my whole family enjoys (includes sprouted wheat). I bake bread, but for time and convenience, the Aldi loaf is great. Their prices for organic fruit and veg are great, even though selection is limited. Even though Aldi will refund anything you don't like, you need to keep the receipt, bring the item, and stand in the same long line-- so I've never bothered when I've gotten something that ended up being rotten. I like their brand chocolates--ingredients seem fairly clean.

Lidl is an easier place for me to shop--they have self checkout lanes, but a bit glitchy when I've used them, and they will "call out" which cashier lanes are the quickest/shortest to go to. Prices are great. I do not usually get any of the fresh bakery items at Lidl--even before Covid--too many arms and hands reaching through the items and it's a huge PITA to get a hold of the ingredient book from the person behind the counter. Plus, for what I tried, hey look a lot better than they taste. However, I did love some fresh loaves from there, which I got sliced using their DIY slicing machine. Now, though, I don't do any self-service bakery things--even though I know that's not how Covid is transmitted, but that is one way that GI viruses are transmitted. It seemed to me that most of the produce I got at Lidl was much fresher, and I've checked out their back section of varied household goods. Without knowing quality, I've been pretty hesitant on anything too $$. I've seen some local comments saying it's like "Dollar" store stuff, but I'd disagree with that.

Neither store is very close to where I live, but given a choice, I'd go to Lidl. For me personally, nothing beats Trader Joes (also not related to the Aldi Sud company that owns Aldi in the US--it's owned by Aldi Nord which doesn't operate in the US).

Good to know about them not being related. You're right I probably wont do self serve bakery for a while - for whatever reason, that is the only place where I ever get stuff.

I think their household items quality is decent esp for the price. We've gotten school supplies there, pjs and dh got some tool set that my Uncle didnt have at the house in NC. When we were there for Christmas, they had a HUGE (gal?) size jug of sanitizer for <$6 - I laughed and said it was for all the teachers to buy. I didnt get any b/c I had some and there is a limit to the amt of cr@p I can lug back from NC. Can tell you how often I was kicking myself for not having bought it!!! :)

ang79
06-23-2020, 06:46 PM
I shop frequently at Aldi for my groceries and even did grocery delivery a few times from there when quarantine first started. We also have a Lidl in our county but it is not as convenient for me to get to (whereas there are two Aldi's near other stores I often run errands at), so I haven't tried it yet, though I've heard good things.

So far my family has liked most of what I've gotten at Aldi. Usually the produce section at our stores is great (prices and quality). My family loves the packages of Naan (plain and garlic) and bread items. I usually get my vanilla unflavored almond milk there and the vanilla greek yogurt tubs for the kids. I've found that the frozen produce section is sometimes limited, but meats are usually a good buy, as are cereal and baking items. My kids do not like their graham crackers (or any off brand graham crackers really), but they do like the other crackers (the Rosmary triscuits are great), nuts, rice cakes, chips, ice cream, cheese, etc. And I always enjoy strolling through the home goods aisle. I've gotten random house organizers, kitchen tools (pineapple corer/slicer!), gardening supplies, cat bed, and even a lounge chair for our patio that has held up as well or perhaps better than similar type furniture I bought at Target at the same time.

jgenie
06-23-2020, 08:54 PM
Oh! And to make it even better, have a whole fresh garlic clove peeled and ready, and as soon as the bread comes off the grill, lightly rub the garlic clove over the bread. I could seriously eat a whole loaf! My favorite way is to also grill eggplant in large slices, then serve the bread with the eggplant and sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzerella, and basil. So, so good.

Oh my!!!

MSWR0319
06-23-2020, 09:37 PM

This sounds delicious!

I went on Monday and have already made a list of things I want to try the next time I go. DS is swimming at a Y right next to one so I have 50 minutes to kill if need be. I plan on just reading in my car but will stop in one a week or so. The veggies and fruit we got were fantastic! We also found some frozen pork schnitzel patties that were fantastic!! DH & I used to eat those all the time for lunch when Schwan's sold them and often crave one. We haven't seen any in ages and these are fantastic. DH wants me to go back and buy all they have :rotflmao:

JElaineB
06-23-2020, 10:54 PM
This sounds delicious!

I went on Monday and have already made a list of things I want to try the next time I go. DS is swimming at a Y right next to one so I have 50 minutes to kill if need be. I plan on just reading in my car but will stop in one a week or so. The veggies and fruit we got were fantastic! We also found some frozen pork schnitzel patties that were fantastic!! DH & I used to eat those all the time for lunch when Schwan's sold them and often crave one. We haven't seen any in ages and these are fantastic. DH wants me to go back and buy all they have :rotflmao:Oh you definitely should buy all the pork schnitzel. I have like 9 in my freezer. They are usually only available at Easter time and Octoberfest so that's why I didn't mention them I'm my previous post. They are so good and so easy to make.

MSWR0319
06-24-2020, 10:42 AM
Oh you definitely should buy all the pork schnitzel. I have like 9 in my freezer. They are usually only available at Easter time and Octoberfest so that's why I didn't mention them I'm my previous post. They are so good and so easy to make.

Good to know!! I hope they still have some this afternoon then. I’m going to look like an idiot buying bulk pork schnitzel if it’s left 😂

div_0305
06-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Good to know about them not being related. You're right I probably wont do self serve bakery for a while - for whatever reason, that is the only place where I ever get stuff.

I think their household items quality is decent esp for the price. We've gotten school supplies there, pjs and dh got some tool set that my Uncle didnt have at the house in NC. When we were there for Christmas, they had a HUGE (gal?) size jug of sanitizer for <$6 - I laughed and said it was for all the teachers to buy. I didnt get any b/c I had some and there is a limit to the amt of cr@p I can lug back from NC. Can tell you how often I was kicking myself for not having bought it!!! :)

That is cheap! I bought some Christmas decorations from there, which were made of wood, and they've held up great after 2 years. I just realized we took a chance and bought a patio umbrella during their "weekend super sale" and it's been great over the past year. They want to open a location near my neighborhood, but 96% of residents are against it per the planning survey that was done---they think it's too "cheap" for our area and said it was like a glorified dollar store. I was in the minority in support of it.

NCGrandma
06-24-2020, 01:15 PM
Good to know!! I hope they still have some this afternoon then. I’m going to look like an idiot buying bulk pork schnitzel if it’s left [emoji23]

Another reason to be extra sure to wear your mask!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
06-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Another reason to be extra sure to wear your mask!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Love it!!! :rotflmao:

gobadgers
06-25-2020, 04:23 PM
I don't know if these were mentioned - a few random things I like to buy there are parchment paper, hummus and Gouda cheese snack sticks (like string cheese)

hellokitty
06-26-2020, 08:42 PM
We get many staples at Aldi...

Organic milk
Almond milk
Gourmet cheeses
Chicken salad
Artichoke dill dip
Their house brand of Triscuits, cheez its, nilla wafers, peanut butter & cocunut carmel spoof of GS cookies and pretzel chips are all great.
Their spaghetti sauce is good, so are their salsas.
Watch out for their produce, since not all of it is refrigerated I am pretty picky, I have given up on their cilantro, the last two times I had to throw mine away, since it went yucky being sealed in the plastic packaging.
Their wines are also, both white and red sangrias are a favorite of ours.
Their chocolate (made in Germany) is always very good, so I buy my dark chocolate there, and it is inexpensive too.
We love their italian take and bake loaf, it comes in a sealed bag, not the kind that is garlic bread, it's just plain.
The aisle of shame (row with all the knick knacks) is awfully fun to browse through, I have gotten some good finds and it's so cheap.

I am not a big fan of their freezer section because many of their frozen foods are sourced from China or else they don't put down a source, which makes me assume it's probably China.

Their meats are ok, I have not had any issue.

Their eggs are dirt cheap, it's difficult to buy them anywhere else other than aldi since it is so cheap there.

I also like their maxi pad brand and have been ok with their hygiene/OTC med products.