PDA

View Full Version : Would you go?

KrisM
06-22-2020, 01:22 PM
We're invited to my parent's cabin on a lake up north this weekend. My parents, brother, SIL and 2 nephews are planning to go. I know they are wearing masks while shopping and I have been told the boys wear them at work. No one else is going to work yet, so just the 2 teenaged nephews. So I was thinking we'd go, but now I've seen lots of prom, graduation, friends, etc photo shoots of them with others and no masks. The photos are all of them outside, but they are right next to friends. I don't know what to think.

We've done much, much less than they have. I do grocery shop in person (in a mask) about once a week. My oldest 2 did see 1-2 friends on their birthdays, but otherwise haven't. DS2 hasn't seen any since March. DH hasn't gone anywhere since March. I would not send my kids off to hang out in a large group of friends all day.

Michigan has been doing well and my zipcode has had very few cases recently (2 in June) and even my county of 1.2M people has only had about 250 in June total.

If we go, it's just for a day and not overnight. We'd mostly be outside doing yard games, jet ski, tubing, etc. We'd have to go in for a bathroom, to get food and drink, change clothes. But we could eat outside. I am sure no one will want to wear a mask and I am sure they will do things together, because that's the point of going. I was fine with it when I thought they were more on the same page as us, but I'm less certain now and keep changing my mind.

I'd like to go because my kids would have fun and they need some fun :)

Thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2020, 01:28 PM
If I had an opportunity like that we would totally go. All that outdoor stuff sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gatorsmom
06-22-2020, 01:29 PM
Where do you go if it rains? I’m assuming you will be going inside the cabin and that would be my concern. If you aren’t sleeping overnight and you are generally keeping your distance outside, AND your + case numbers are low, I’d say yes. Bring lots of handsantizer for the bathroom trips and masks if there are any close activities. That would be my strategy if your area case numbers are low. High area + case numbers would leave me worried the entire time and I’d stay home.

KpbS
06-22-2020, 01:35 PM
Yes, I would go.

wendibird22
06-22-2020, 01:45 PM
Where do you go if it rains? I’m assuming you will be going inside the cabin and that would be my concern. If you aren’t sleeping overnight and you are generally keeping your distance outside, AND your + case numbers are low, I’d say yes. Bring lots of handsantizer for the bathroom trips and masks if there are any close activities. That would be my strategy if your area case numbers are low. High area + case numbers would leave me worried the entire time and I’d stay home.

I agree with the above.

Globetrotter
06-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Will you feel pressured to do things you’re not comfortable doing? I think a lot depends on the other people and their attitude. If they will let you do your thing, then I think this is doable. Now if it rains… That’s another story, but outdoor fun sounds reasonable.
You should probably have a little chat with them beforehand and let them know how you will participate and that this is important to you.

KrisM
06-22-2020, 02:02 PM
We would stay home if it rains or otherwise looks like indoor weather. The draw is all the outside activities - beach, boats, badminton. Clearly things that start with B :).

Case numbers are generally low for the state. The area we'll be has had 22 positives total for the county.

They know why we are not committed to it yet and understand. So I think there would not be pressure from them to do something we aren't comfortable with. There is no guilt trip to get us to go or anything.

Thanks for the input. I feel better about going.

hillview
06-22-2020, 02:39 PM
yes I would go with what you described and rain plan

marinkitty
06-22-2020, 02:50 PM
I'd go given what you describe. We are headed to visit friends in Michigan this weekend for similar type fun with close family friends who we know have been very careful about their interactions. We are actually going to sleep at their house, so we are going a step beyond what you are proposing and I'm still ok with it (and we have been very cautious to date - my kids haven't been socializing in person at all). Our area case numbers are holding/declining and so are theirs. I think it will get worse before it gets better so think a weekend of outdoor fun with other kids and family sounds great. Have fun and don't shy away from taking whatever precautions you decide you want to put in place (masks inside, careful sanitizing etc).

Melaine
06-22-2020, 03:04 PM
I’d go also. We are no longer strictly quarantined though and have always been risking exposure since DH has worked as usual.

carolinacool
06-22-2020, 03:25 PM
I'd also go, but full disclosure, we are not in strict quarantine. Similiar to Marinkitty, we stayed with some friends at their beach condo a couple of weeks ago. I agree that you should feel empowered to take the precautions you decide you need to take. We mapped most of that out before our trip and it was quite helpful.

doberbrat
06-22-2020, 05:08 PM
I think I'd be ok with that and we've essentially gone nowhere since 3/13 save grocery stores and curbside pu.

PZMommy
06-22-2020, 05:58 PM
We’ve been super strict here, and I think I would go under your circumstances. If it was raining and we would be I side, I’d probably skip it.

carolinamama
06-22-2020, 06:40 PM
We would feel comfortable with an outside get together like that. Sounds like fun! I'd have our immediate family members wear a mask while using the indoors for the bathroom, but that's just my comfort level.

Globetrotter
06-22-2020, 07:00 PM
In my dreams I’ve considered planning a trip with other families where we stay in different houses and Hang out distanced outside lol

krism, enjoy!

okinawama
06-22-2020, 08:04 PM
We have been very cautious this entire time,but my family has ventured out to my In-laws lake house twice since things started to open up, and I am so grateful to have been able to go. The outdoor activities have been such a release, and spending time with family has been good for everyone’s emotional and mental health. I think in your situation, I’d go.

Twin Mom
06-22-2020, 08:28 PM
If I had family with a lake house and they were taking Covid seriously as I am then yes I would go.

ang79
06-23-2020, 11:44 AM
In my dreams I’ve considered planning a trip with other families where we stay in different houses and Hang out distanced outside lol

krism, enjoy!

I have this same dream/wish as well. But unfortunately it seems that most of our family and friends are not as serious with precautions as I am (masks and distancing and only meeting outside), so it is only a dream for now :(

boilermakermom
06-23-2020, 12:15 PM
We would go! Everyone sounds old enough to understand the social distancing guidelines when inside and to not touch their face. Wash your hands often and have fun!!!

mom2binsd
06-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Sound heavenly!!! Yes, I would go.

ahisma
06-25-2020, 12:00 AM
That's tough in MI right now. Realistically, our numbers are still low. Our approach is similar to yours, except that I am in the office 2 days a week (masked, but sometimes I'm in the minority on that one). We haven't even been in a store since early March. We have been taking turns at the family cottage, although we will distance on the beach if we go up for a day trip. I am risk adverse though, and my FIL is very high risk. I do feel like this is our small window to gather responsibly though.

essnce629
06-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Not staying overnight and being outside as much as possible I think I'd go. Can you pack up food for the day in a cooler in the morning to have outside with you so your immediate family is not having to go in and out for food and drinks all day? I'd try to limit being inside to strictly bathroom breaks and to change clothes before heading home (arrive with bathing suits already on under clothes).

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2020, 09:25 AM
Did you go? If so, how was it? I want to live vicariously through you. :)

KrisM
07-04-2020, 10:17 AM
I meant to update.

Yes, we went. It was really fun and the kids really needed it. We were outside nearly all the time- just went in for the bathroom, changing, and to grab food. While I'm sure we were too close at times, the majority of the time were we all keeping space between families. And since we were outside, I didn't worry much about a photo next to cousins or doing s'mores at the same fire, etc.

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2020, 10:50 AM
I meant to update.

Yes, we went. It was really fun and the kids really needed it. We were outside nearly all the time- just went in for the bathroom, changing, and to grab food. While I'm sure we were too close at times, the majority of the time were we all keeping space between families. And since we were outside, I didn't worry much about a photo next to cousins or doing s'mores at the same fire, etc.

Yay!
Connecting with friends and family really helps. And all that summer activity fun is awesome! I know my kids would kill to be at our friend's house on Lake Leelanau in Michigan. :)