PDA

View Full Version : Toddler very clingy, very tired, big tantrums

Melaine
06-23-2020, 11:11 AM
My sister is making an appointment for her two year old but just checking in here if anyone had some ideas. She says she has been very clingy, low energy, and also having uncharacteristically long, extreme tantrums where she won’t really talk but just screams and is mostly ignoring them and not responding. My sister is thinking Mono or Anemia.

Her daddy is type 1 diabetic, could that be a possibility?

petesgirl
06-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Any of those could definitely be a possibility. My question, though, is when did this start and does the timeline match up woth Coronavirus at all? There are a LOT of little ones dealing with anxiety right now because of the current state of things. My own 3 yr old has become more clingy through it all.

My kids also have a hard time adjusting to summer. They inevitably get to bed later and even though their rooms are dark, it's hard to fall asleep at 8 pm when they know the sun is still out.

Melaine
06-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Yes and they just got back from a week at grandparents (we were there too) which means disruption of sleep schedule, etc. I do think it could just be a phase/tired etc. but I’m glad she is going to make an appointment.

bisous
06-23-2020, 11:40 AM
My sister is making an appointment for her two year old but just checking in here if anyone had some ideas. She says she has been very clingy, low energy, and also having uncharacteristically long, extreme tantrums where she won’t really talk but just screams and is mostly ignoring them and not responding. My sister is thinking Mono or Anemia.

Her daddy is type 1 diabetic, could that be a possibility?
Oh my gosh, that was how my DS1 presented. Just have his dad check his sugar, preferably after a meal like pasta and juice (because when he’s into a diagnosis you want to catch the extremes). I hope it’s not that but if it is you can PM me!

Melaine
06-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Oh my gosh, that was how my DS1 presented. Just have his dad check his sugar, preferably after a meal like pasta and juice (because when he’s into a diagnosis you want to catch the extremes). I hope it’s not that but if it is you can PM me!

😫 I am definitely concerned that could be it. I will keep you updated.

Melaine
06-23-2020, 01:22 PM
PM'd you Bisous.

Melaine
06-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Update: They are taking her in to doctor tomorrow. They tested her blood sugar and it was nearly 300. They did do the ketone stip and that was negative. I know my Sister and her hubby are very upset since they know what diabetes looks like, but at least they have a lot of knowledge on this topic. Poor little sweet baby. :praying:

KpbS
06-23-2020, 03:45 PM
300!! Yikes
Take her to the local Children’s Hospital now

bisous
06-23-2020, 04:08 PM
OK. 300 is very concerning. BUT without ketones, she very well could be ok. If in doubt, bring her to an ER at a hospital that has a PICU. Because of your brother's experience, she'll have access to supplies that most households don't carry. I would just make sure that the pediatrician takes this very seriously. Again, I'm sure you guys will in part because of your brother's experience.

For background, my DS1 was diagnosed at age 2 with a blood sugar of 680 and he was hospitalized for 5 days. My niece was diagnosed at age barely 3 with a blood sugar of 300 and never needed to be hospitalized. For my niece the pediatrician (who I REALLY like) initially told my SIL to just watch her for a few days but our pediatric endo squeezed her in for a visit that very day and they left the office with a vial of insulin and syringes.

Diabetic Ketoacidosis is really scary. It is life-threatening. You don't want to mess around with this. But I don't think she can have DKA if she doesn't have ketones.

Again, if in doubt, hospital with PIKU. Maybe research right now which hospitals have one.

(I mention a PICU because DS1 was in a tough spot upon diagnosis. Our hospital didn't have a PIKU. They didn't know where to put him because he was too critical for Peds but too little for the ICU. You don't want this situation!)

Most of all, make sure they take this very seriously.

And it will be ok. It is serious and it is not easy but there have been some amazing innovations in technology even since DS1 was diagnosed. She'll have a wonderful, normal life that won't be curtailed at all by type 1 diabetes!

ArizonaGirl
06-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Please take her to the ER. She needs to be seen ASAP if they are thinking it's type I diabetes.

jgenie
06-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Update: They are taking her in to doctor tomorrow. They tested her blood sugar and it was nearly 300. They did do the ketone stip and that was negative. I know my Sister and her hubby are very upset since they know what diabetes looks like, but at least they have a lot of knowledge on this topic. Poor little sweet baby. :praying:

Did they check in with her ped? I’m surprised their dr didn’t recommend a trip to the ER tonight. Prayers that she is ok.

PZMommy
06-23-2020, 06:13 PM
I don’t know that I’d wait. I would bring her to the ER just to be safe. Preferably to one at a children’s hospital if they have one near by. When my youngest was in the PICU, the little boy in the next room had just been diagnosed as a type 1. He was running circles around that place by the time he got released, but I’m sure he must have been pretty sick when was first admitted.

(I had talked to his parents at one point which is how I know. No hospital staff violated privacy rules)

Melaine
06-26-2020, 01:29 PM
Another update: they tried really hard to avoid the ER by visiting the ped and trying to get a referral. Apparently they kind of force the issue and to get in reasonably quickly into the pediatric endo they have you admitted to the hospital.

So they went into the pediatric ER yesterday and my sister was so upset because she couldn't be there since she is still nursing. But my BIL said the staff was AMAZING. They discharged her after only about 5 hours! He said DN was irritated but not upset or scared and the pediatrican on staff was also a T1D! It ended up being a very positive experience for which we are very grateful. It sounds like they will probably be getting a dexcom.

bisous
06-26-2020, 01:35 PM
Another update: they tried really hard to avoid the ER by visiting the ped and trying to get a referral. Apparently they kind of force the issue and to get in reasonably quickly into the pediatric endo they have you admitted to the hospital.

So they went into the pediatric ER yesterday and my sister was so upset because she couldn't be there since she is still nursing. But my BIL said the staff was AMAZING. They discharged her after only about 5 hours! He said DN was irritated but not upset or scared and the pediatrican on staff was also a T1D! It ended up being a very positive experience for which we are very grateful. It sounds like they will probably be getting a dexcom.

Oh my gosh Yay! You could have seen anyone at the ER. Getting a pediatrician with type 1 is amazing! Dexcom is life changing.
I’m glad it was a positive experience. DS1 was about that age at diagnosis and adjusted very quickly.

PZMommy
06-26-2020, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear such a positive update! I hope your niece continues to do well!

Melaine
07-12-2020, 07:22 AM
I haven’t talked to my sister yet but they texted last night that the antibody test came back “negative for diabetes”. What on earth does that mean? What other diagnosis would explain spikes like that?

bisous
07-13-2020, 10:29 AM
I haven’t talked to my sister yet but they texted last night that the antibody test came back “negative for diabetes”. What on earth does that mean? What other diagnosis would explain spikes like that?

Antibodies are strange for diabetes. Not every person diagnosed with type 1 has the "usual" antibodies and full disclosure, I don't think DS1 was ever actually tested. I kind of wanted him to be tested once I heard about it but it hasn't ever been a big enough priority that we've done it and have never had an endo recommend it. I've surmised that it's because it doesn't really matter. Diabetes is a strange thing where the symptom is the diagnosis in some respects. There is a lot of individual variability and there is so much that is still not understood. The good news is that for almost all the types the treatment is the same--insulin! Even my mom's friend who had her pancreas surgically removed (cancer) was given the same insulin pump that DS1 used and was considered "diabetic" at that time. In her case, it wasn't the result of an autoimmune disease but the treatment is the same. All this to say, I don't think it is that unusual for some common types of antibodies not to be present in your DN.

Melaine
07-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Antibodies are strange for diabetes. Not every person diagnosed with type 1 has the "usual" antibodies and full disclosure, I don't think DS1 was ever actually tested. I kind of wanted him to be tested once I heard about it but it hasn't ever been a big enough priority that we've done it and have never had an endo recommend it. I've surmised that it's because it doesn't really matter. Diabetes is a strange thing where the symptom is the diagnosis in some respects. There is a lot of individual variability and there is so much that is still not understood. The good news is that for almost all the types the treatment is the same--insulin! Even my mom's friend who had her pancreas surgically removed (cancer) was given the same insulin pump that DS1 used and was considered "diabetic" at that time. In her case, it wasn't the result of an autoimmune disease but the treatment is the same. All this to say, I don't think it is that unusual for some common types of antibodies not to be present in your DN.

Thanks! So she did the dexcom for 10 days and had no spikes while she was low carb. So they didn't even refer her to the endo. I guess it's just a matter of time.

bisous
07-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Thanks! So she did the dexcom for 10 days and had no spikes while she was low carb. So they didn't even refer her to the endo. I guess it's just a matter of time.

This is known as a “honeymoon” and it can be a tricky time. We had friends whose teenage son didn’t need insulin for years. I highly advise getting looked at by an Endo anyway. Obviously not my call but I can’t put myself out here “publicly” without recommending! On the plus side, I’m so happy that low carb is working for her! Your BIL is uniquely qualified to help with that. I know people who do low carb with their kids and it has worked out well for them!