PDA

View Full Version : Which school scenario would you prefer?

bisous
06-23-2020, 04:36 PM
We got OUR options today too.

We got:

Full remote

5 half days

2 full days, 3 remote days

That's it!

The admins said attending school 5 days a week probably won't be possible due to distancing requirements. Only 10 to 12 kids can be in the classroom at a time and still meet the distancing requirements. They said we'll follow whatever the local guidelines are for masking and health checks (haven't been released yet).

I'm on the fence about full remote because of our health issues.

Personally, I think it would be better for the kids to get half a day, every day. It might be easier logistically to do 2 days on and 3 days off.

What would you pick if you had to?

And yes, I realize this doesn't bode well for full time in person school!

Melaine
06-23-2020, 04:50 PM
We homeschool with a hybrid so we have 2 full days on campus and 3 days home. It works beautifully for us, so that would be my preferred schedule.

PZMommy
06-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Full remote. Odds of transmission go up with every 20 minutes of exposure, so half days or several days a week really don’t help.

PZMommy
06-23-2020, 05:01 PM
Posted in wrong place.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2020, 05:01 PM
2 in person, 3 remote for sure. 5 half days is tedious.
Full remote is a hard no for us. We already plan to switch ds2 if his charter goes full remote andbither area schools have in person. He needs to be in school for academics and social reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
06-23-2020, 05:04 PM
Geez, I guess I'd say 2 full days, 3 remote. Half days suck. By the time I'd get the kids dropped off and get home it would be time to pick them up again!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

bisous
06-23-2020, 05:06 PM
2 in person, 3 remote for sure. 5 half days is tedious.
Full remote is a hard no for us. We already plan to switch ds2 if his charter goes full remote andbither area schools have in person. He needs to be in school for academics and social reasons.

They totally suck for me but I think it might be better for my kids--have the routine of attending school in the morning and then having an afternoon of leisure...

Kestrel
06-23-2020, 05:14 PM
I'm unclear how the half days would work. Does that mean half the kids in the morning, half the kids in the afternoon? To me, that would mean the afternoon kids would get exposed to all the kids in their current class, plus the "leftovers" of what all the morning kids left behind/touched. Since my school cleans weekly (or did before this mess), I doubt they're going to step up and clean between morning/afternoon.
Or do they think they'll get so few kids that only one session will be needed?

bisous
06-23-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm unclear how the half days would work. Does that mean half the kids in the morning, half the kids in the afternoon? To me, that would mean the afternoon kids would get exposed to all the kids in their current class, plus the "leftovers" of what all the morning kids left behind/touched. Since my school cleans weekly (or did before this mess), I doubt they're going to step up and clean between morning/afternoon.
Or do they think they'll get so few kids that only one session will be needed?

They’ll have a morning and an afternoon session with an hour to clean in between. They’re planning to step up the cleaning regimen. They don’t have busing at my school..

bisous
06-23-2020, 05:21 PM
I think it would probably help my school and the lower achieving students if we go full remote. How much would you let that figure into your analysis? If it helps my mom is nearby and a retired teacher who has taught 1st and 3rd grade.

ciw
06-23-2020, 05:24 PM
I'd have to know more about how much class interaction would be provided for the older kids with the full remote option. If I selected an in-person option, it would be five half days so that they didn't have to eat lunch at school (and take off masks)!

Kestrel
06-23-2020, 05:30 PM
Are they expecting the teachers to clean in between? To have cleaning staff to clean all of the classrooms in an hour would be a logistics nightmare! How many people would that take, and who would want to work and hour or two a day?

Liziz
06-23-2020, 06:11 PM
That is a hard choice! I think I'd go 2 days in person 3 remote -- I'd assume that if you're doing 5 half days, the kids are expected to do school work at home for the other part of the half day? That would be really hard for my kids (if that's not the case, then how are they halving the school day?). I'd also assume that you don't get to choose which part of the half day you'd like (whether you'd have AM or PM) -- so it might not be school in the AM and afternoon of leisure, but it might be AM off and school in the PM.

I'd also want more information on how fully remote would work -- our experience this year wasn't acceptable for a full year of remote learning. I would want enough information about plans to know that there's a solid acceptable remote option before I'd consider it.

To answer your other question, I would only take my own family's situation into consideration when making my decision. I wouldn't consider whether it was "helpful" to others if I chose a particular option. I'm not saying that to be selfish, but just because I think you don't have enough information to really know how your choice will affect others, helpfully or not. If you choose one of the hybrid options and then the school says "we really need more people to choose full remote, we're struggling to support everyone in school, if you feel you can successfully handle full remote, please volunteer" that would be the time to consider if it's helpful -- but not at this point.

niccig
06-23-2020, 06:55 PM
We had a survey with similar options, DS choose 2 full days and 3 remote. He wants to be with his friends. We can’t do half-days due to logistics of picking him up from school, unless they run buses. He get bussed to/from school and don’t know if they do mid-day runs. DS’ high school has block scheduling so he would have 1 class in person and other day online.

My concern with all these options is who is teaching the 3 options. It can’t be one teacher in person and also running the online options. I think the remote days may be self-paced curriculum programs, that’s not ideal. If the teacher has taught concept during in person days, then it’s extra practice.

mommy111
06-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Full remote for high schoolers, they are more productive that way and have the ability to do self motivated socialization with friends
2 days a week for the elementary DN who is now part of our family, he needs the socialization

AnnieW625
06-23-2020, 07:21 PM
I would probably vote for 5 half days because I couldn’t do three full days of remote learning due to both my job and DH’s job still working from home, and 2 days on and 3 days remote would be less than ideal as well. I also couldn’t do a full year of full remote learning because we are both still working from home and if the schools beef up the full remote curriculum I am not going to have enough time to teach it to my kids due to work. I would probably have to hire a nanny/tutor for the full remote learning, and the 3 day remote option for DD2. If the after care program at school is an option for the 3 day remote, and half day scenario that could work too, but I bet either option would rival the cost of private school, which we are again considering for DD2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
06-23-2020, 07:27 PM
Ooh, I wish we had those options! I would take 2 days in person and 3 days remote. I think half days would be even worse for working parents trying to arrange child care (at least partly due to transportation), and would be worst for the afternoon kids in terms of being exposed to germs from the morning kids. You know they aren’t cleaning everything well in between. If your schools have busses (I seem to remember a lot out there don’t?) it would also be worst for bussing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scrooks
06-23-2020, 07:38 PM
I would choose 2 days in person 3 days remote for my kids because more gets done in full days. DH says 5 1/2 days because of the everyday schedule and no eating lunch etc at school.

jgenie
06-23-2020, 08:32 PM
I would want 2 in / 3 Out schedule. Half days would be a waste. By the time everyone arrives and settles in it would be time to pack up and go home. I would not let my children to attend a half day in the afternoon. Not possible to clean well enough so they would get double exposure. Nope.

ett
06-23-2020, 08:50 PM
I'd do 2 in person/3 remote. I really dislike half days!

dogmom
06-23-2020, 09:01 PM
I got teens, full days mix of in person remote every week. They can manage themselves on days off. Honestly, they all have their pros and cons. I’m just glad I’m not the one deciding!

KrisM
06-23-2020, 09:05 PM
I'd pick the 2/3 option. None of my kids want all remote. We've talked about switching them to that already. Half days are just not fun for anyone, lol.

ellies mom
06-23-2020, 09:21 PM
It’s a tough one. I’m going to lean towards 2 full days and 3 remote. It would be great for my oldest (16). I’m hoping it will give my youngest (12) enough time in class to stay on track. Remote schooling was an unmitigated disaster for my youngest. Thank goodness it was Pass/Incomplete. If they do full remote next year, I’ll have to cut back on my hours so I can keep her on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinamama
06-23-2020, 09:36 PM
I would vote 2 days in person/3 days remote. I'm hoping our schools make the same offer. That structure would be enough to provide some much needed socialization but potentially be helpful to keep transmission down.

PZMommy
06-23-2020, 09:44 PM
For the hybrid option, how does it help slow the transmission when teachers and staff will be there all 5 days? They will be the ones spreading it and does your district have enough subs to cover a class for several weeks when a teacher gets sick? The hybrid models may provide some protection for the kids, but do nothing for the staff and adults on school campuses who are probably the most at risk. At my last 2 schools I was the youngest teacher on staff, and I’m in my mid 40’s.

lurksalot
06-23-2020, 09:49 PM
They totally suck for me but I think it might be better for my kids--have the routine of attending school in the morning and then having an afternoon of leisure...

I work in education and I think half days is best for kids, especially primary students. Most districts will be focusing on teaching only essential standards, leaving little time for science, social students, art, etc. I think reducing the number of hours will help keep the kids from getting overwhelmed with all day math and ela. I have been told half days is no option for us. I do agree half days are not very realistic for families, it is too hard to get kids too and from school.

On that note, with staggered start times, this is another HUGE problem for parents. We are looking at having 20 minute intervals between grade level arrival. So if I have a kinder, 3rd grader and a 6th grader, I am dropping off at 8:00, 8:20 and 9:00. This too, is not realistic for families.

scrooks
06-23-2020, 09:52 PM
Oops deleted

meggie t
06-23-2020, 11:22 PM
I've had this discussion with several friends, all with children at the elementary level (5th grade and younger). I feel for optimal learning, 5 half days is best. You can't beat in person instruction for important subjects like ELA, Math, History, Science. If they could do those subjects in the 1/2 day, and leave others to the 1/2 day that is not in person, I think that is the best option. Yes, half days aren't probably best for the parents, whether SAH or WOH, but it gives children a better learning experience, IMO, and sets up a daily routine.

bisous
06-23-2020, 11:43 PM
I think I’m going to vote for half days for my 2. I think it’s clearly better educationally. I think there are health advantages to either system. I agree that the cleaning is probably better with the 2 full days. I agree that afternoon could be dicier than the morning “shift” but I really like that we can do meals at home and I think 3 hours with masks is better than 6.

I’m still not sure we won’t go full remote either...it could be really hard but I honestly also think it could be great. I want to know more about the virus before I decide!

bisous
06-24-2020, 12:03 AM
Gah. The remote learning option will be watching a live teacher that vacillates between watching the teacher and focusing on the smart board. This will not work for my little kids, no way. I want to support the school but I don't see how that can be anything but painful to watch (and I love school).

KpbS
06-24-2020, 12:04 AM
I don't think I could do staggered start times with multiple kids and half days...not sure if that is what they are suggesting for you all or not.

I do like the appeal of half days and wonder if the afternoon is meant to be instructional at home either on the computer or with homework/assignments?

My high schooler would vote for 2 full days with remote instruction the other 3 as that is what he does now as a homeschooler. So many choices. What gets me is that there will be absolutely no standard policy/system out there from school to school, district to district, state, etc.

PZMommy
06-24-2020, 12:21 AM
I don't think I could do staggered start times with multiple kids and half days...not sure if that is what they are suggesting for you all or not.

I do like the appeal of half days and wonder if the afternoon is meant to be instructional at home either on the computer or with homework/assignments?

My high schooler would vote for 2 full days with remote instruction the other 3 as that is what he does now as a homeschooler. So many choices. What gets me is that there will be absolutely no standard policy/system out there from school to school, district to district, state, etc.

I get why they have different policies vary by areas. A small town in rural Midwest may have only a couple of cases, where as large cities like LA are a hot bed. I am okay with each district doing what is best for their population. I do have a problem that there was not a good national response to the whole pandemic, but that ship has already sailed and now the states are left dealing with the mess.

bisous
06-24-2020, 12:23 AM
I get why they have different policies vary by areas. A small town in rural Midwest may have only a couple of cases, where as large cities like LA are a hot bed. I am okay with each district doing what is best for their population. I do have a problem that there was not a good national response to the whole pandemic, but that ship has already sailed and now the states are left dealing with the mess.

I’m right there with you!

KpbS
06-24-2020, 12:30 AM
I understand the reasoning, it's just crazy to think about all of the variations and discrepancies in execution, resources, schedules, etc.

PZMommy
06-24-2020, 12:50 AM
I understand the reasoning, it's just crazy to think about all of the variations and discrepancies in execution, resources, schedules, etc.

But that is true of schools/education even when we don’t have a pandemic.

bisous
06-24-2020, 01:00 AM

This is so true too!

pharmjenn
06-24-2020, 01:09 AM
We also got the survey today for our district. It was presented as if they will be running all three options, and that the 5 days in school was full days, not half. I wonder now if I misinterpreted the 5 day option. Anyway, DS12 needs to be in a classroom. He did minimal online, and is not even interested in participating in Scouts Zoom meetings. I can't imagine continuing into the fall.

He needs to be in school for academics and social reasons.

Mine too.

We could do this, as we live close enough and only have one kid to drive around. I would even do the afternoon session if needed, as DS has been sleeping in late and then we wouldn't have to change quite yet.

klwa
06-24-2020, 06:46 AM
2 in person, 3 remote was what I voted for in our school's similar survey. (Our other option was 1 week in, 1 week out.) I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to make it work, but that was the best option for us.

m4nash
06-24-2020, 07:52 AM
I prefer the 2/3 hybrid and that is what I voted for my youngest (rising 5th grader), although if half days had been an option I would have voted for that for her. We also had the options of alternating weeks (1 week in person, next week remote) or full remote. My older two said they would prefer the weekly hybrid and we got to vote per kid, so I voted for that for them (rising 6th and 9th graders). Knowing my district they won’t actually go with what we vote on though. They will probably continue to discuss options and pick something we never knew was a possibility.

For my older kids we also got to vote on whether to keep our 7 class schedule or move to a 4 class per semester block schedule. I was completely undecided on this part.

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2020, 08:51 AM
We also got the survey today for our district. It was presented as if they will be running all three options, and that the 5 days in school was full days, not half. I wonder now if I misinterpreted the 5 day option. Anyway, DS12 needs to be in a classroom. He did minimal online, and is not even interested in participating in Scouts Zoom meetings. I can't imagine continuing into the fall.
I think we have the same kid! Another year of him skating by with minimal effort and minimal interaction with people is a solid no.

Myira
06-24-2020, 09:12 AM
I took our districts survey and just like everyone else I’m conflicted. My kids are doing very well academically, ahead of grade level so that’s not the part that concerns me even slightly.
School for my kids is important for peer interaction, after school clubs and competitions, the gifted program that they both enjoy! And I don’t know how much of any of that can happen even with going in person.
If those options are watered down, and social distancing is going to limit even peer interactions then they are just wasting time going in person when they can do much more advanced and accelerated work online.

smilequeen
06-24-2020, 10:21 AM
My kids would pick the max amount of time in school. The 2 full days would be easier for me than half days because I have to drive them.

Globetrotter
06-24-2020, 10:57 AM
My Friend’s School is considering alternating weeks as that seems to be easier cleaning wise.

I prefer a hybrid with some things in person, definitely labs. Personally my kid is thriving online, but I understand that Doesn’t work for most. He’s figured out how to move his extracurriculars online, to a great extent, and that makes all the difference.
For him in person would be for social reasons.

JustMe
06-24-2020, 11:15 AM
My Friend’s School is considering alternating weeks as that seems to be easier cleaning wise.
He’s figured out how to move his extracurriculars online, to a great extent, and that makes all the difference.
For him in person would be for social reasons.

Globetrotter, which extracurriculars does your son do online?

ezcc
06-24-2020, 12:29 PM
I would go for one week on/one week off if I had that choice- seems like it makes the most sense as far as keeping germs low and less exposure to teachers- only one group a week. It also seems easier for teachers and parents as far as planning. No word on what our schools are doing yet.

Globetrotter
06-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Globetrotter, which extracurriculars does your son do online?

He leads some academic teams so he’s the one setting it up.. I’ll PM you. I’ve noticed that debate, computing, music, various bowls, camps have gone online. Also he tutors and, needless to say, there’s a huge demand right now.

Kindra178
06-24-2020, 04:06 PM
I'd do 2 in person/3 remote. I really dislike half days!

This! Half days have all the morning pressure and no benefit.

Will teachers clean the classroom between am and pm sessions?

Kestrel
06-24-2020, 05:38 PM
I like the half days idea because then they won't be eating/masks off in the classroom. It would also add structure to our household schedule.

ang79
06-24-2020, 11:29 PM
We finally got info from our school district today! They have a parent survey to fill out and give the options of full time in school instruction, a hybrid system (it looks like they are polling parents on their interest in:
1. full days in school every day
2. a split schedule - they said 2/3 days or 3/2 days so I'm not sure if that means they would rotate each week days in/out each week, or would stick to the same schedule each week
3. completely online with traditional grading and attendance (but it does not say who teaches the online, if it is the same exact curriculum as in school kids, if it is live lessons or recorded lessons, or just teaching demos and then online worksheets, etc.)

After rereading the survey it sounds like there are not plans for social distancing if kids go to school in buildings full time. Our buildings do not have the extra space to social distance classrooms of 20-30 students. Nothing was said about possibility of lunch in classrooms, teachers moving from group to group and keeping core group of kids together in same room all day, staggered start/end times, etc.

They also stated that all teachers/aides, etc. in the building will be required to wear either a face mask or face shield the entire day, but want input about parents thoughts on if they agree/disagree with students having the option to wear masks. Lots of questions about parents' preferences, input on if child or family member is high risk, are parents able to drive students to/from school to help with social distancing on buses, and finally at the end to rank the order of preference for the three above options. I'm still not sure how to respond to some of the questions because there are so many variables that are not mentioned (what safety measures they plan to use if students are back in buildings, etc.). They did mention that all grade levels will have a school issued device in case they need to move to a hybrid model or completely virtual model if cases start to rise and the governor mandates school closures again.

I briefly asked my girls their thoughts (rising 6th and 8th graders). Sixth grader said she thinks it would be hard to wear a mask all day. I mentioned face shields and fashion conscience 8th grader said no way would she wear one of those! She said she would be OK with the hybrid model, she really misses her friends and social interaction, but I think also understands that school will not be normal this year and that there are way too many students in their classes to have any kind of proper distancing. I think I am leaning towards the hybrid model as well, but as a substitute teacher, I'm not sure how that is going to protect teachers (or subs - not even sure I want to sub this year actually......). Although less kids in class could mean less chance of spread among the class, even if the teacher is still seeing the entire class on different days.