PDA

View Full Version : antibody test- have you gotten one? Would you?

ezcc
06-24-2020, 01:38 PM
I just got an email that the urgent care near me is now offering antibody tests. I posted here in March when we were pretty sure DS (17) had it. At the time, there was limited testing available unless you needed hospitalization. I know there is a lot of skepticism about these tests and whether any immunity is implied etc but I really would love to know if he did have it. Has anyone done this? Would you take him? I think our out of pocket cost would be zero - dh's company pays our deductible.

georgiegirl
06-24-2020, 01:45 PM
I’ve heard they aren’t accurate/reliable at all, so I wouldn’t get one.

westwoodmom04
06-24-2020, 01:51 PM
The Abbott and Roche tests have been found to be over 90 percent accurate and have fda approval. But other than that, there are a lot of junk tests on the market so you do need to pay attention to what test you are being given . I got the Abbott test at our local Quest lab and it was disappointingly negative. Very easy experience.

PunkyBoo
06-24-2020, 01:54 PM
My DH had one a couple of days ago. He said it was nothing compared to the swab covid test. But the accuracy (lack of) makes it virtually useless. So I personally wouldn't bother with it. Whether it says positive or negative means nothing because the tests aren't accurate, and we don't know whether an accurate positive result provided any immunity.
My kids' pediatrician said she's certain her husband had it in January, but she's not bothering with the antibody test.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

twowhat?
06-24-2020, 01:56 PM
I don't think it's worth it, outside of the context of a clinical trial. Many of the available tests have accuracy and specificity issues, and even if you go with an approved test, the results would be of little use to you as an individual person. We don't know how long immunity lasts or for how long recovered patients could be contagious (and how contagious, if at all) so if you test positive, it's not like you are free and clear and can run around without a mask free of worry of infecting someone else or getting infected yourself. All it will tell you at this point is that you were infected in the past. You likely have some level of protection against re-infection but we don't know what exactly that is.

A clinical trial looking at this on a population level (like a serosurvey...the NIH study some folks here may be participating in...) would be useful to science as a whole, as it would give information on the prevalence of infection, among other things.

Philly Mom
06-24-2020, 02:31 PM
I just did the Abbott one. It was negative. I have regular blood work done and had my doctor add it to my normal script. Can't lie, but I am disappointed it was negative. I would not have gone out for one though.

carolinamama
06-24-2020, 02:38 PM
I'm not opposed to getting one, especially if it is one of the more accurate tests. I don't plan on it as I would be surprised to have antibodies. No symptoms for me or anyone else in our family. I think it has to be a personal decision but it doesn't hurt anything to get one out of curiosity.

MSWR0319
06-24-2020, 03:22 PM
I had a friend who's husband got one because he was pretty sure he had it in March. It did come back positive and the nurse told him she was surprised because they hadn't had many positives.

Many of my friends just signed up to donate blood because they are now testing for antibodies when you donate.

nfceagles
06-24-2020, 04:10 PM
My DH did an Abbott test a few weeks ago. We paid for it ourselves as I don’t feel our insurance company and fellow policy holders should be on the hook for our curiosity. We did it ourselves at home and it was a bloody mess. Came back negative. We did it because DH was diagnosed with pneumonia in mid February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
06-24-2020, 04:33 PM
I can get it free via my insurance, but I have no reason to do so. I've had absolutely no illness at all this year, nor has anyone in my household.

My coworker, whose entire family tested positive for COVID, did the antibody tests and they all came back positive. The question is, how long will the immunity last??

pinkmomagain
06-24-2020, 08:39 PM
I just did it last week. Came back negative. I'm pretty sure I had something COVID-like back in March (3 months ago). I just read a study that said antibodies can disappear in 2-3 months after infection. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/932671
So perhaps if you wait too long, it could come back negative.

mom2binsd
06-24-2020, 09:38 PM
Not yet, our nursing home begins routine testing this Friday of all residents and staff, none of us are symptomatic, it will be interesting to see results. I was tested in April, out of curiosity, no symptoms but there was a testing site that was capable of 250 tests a day and was never close to that, so health care workers, first responders were encouraged to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
06-24-2020, 10:53 PM
I would not because:
1. Tests are largely inaccurate
2. Even if the test is accurate, we don't have good data on antibodies meaning you can't get sick again. There are documented cases in China of people who had Covid, getting it again.
So what's the point of testing? It is just curiosity-it doesn't give you peace of mind like a positive MMR titre would give you.

AnnieW625
06-25-2020, 01:41 AM
I had an actual covid 19 test two weeks ago and tested negative. I had to have it to have my minor surgery on my back.

Dh signed up for the NIH study, but has yet to actually been given a test. He thinks he may have had it in January although he never had any breathing issues, but in the 22 years I have known dh I had never seen him that sick and he said he had never felt as sick as he was for those 7-10 days.

essnce629
06-25-2020, 02:47 AM
The Abbott and Roche tests have been found to be over 90 percent accurate and have fda approval. But other than that, there are a lot of junk tests on the market so you do need to pay attention to what test you are being given . I got the Abbott test at our local Quest lab and it was disappointingly negative. Very easy experience.Do you happen to know if all the Quest labs are only using the Abbott and Roche tests?

I get labs for my hyperthyroidism done every 8 weeks at Quest and have thought of having the antibody test added since I'm already there. Holding me back so far has been the cost ($119), not knowing how accurate they really are, and even if it came back positive what would that really mean immunity wise.

My mom and I had regular Covid tests done a week after attending the protests. Both negative. We planned to get retested since they said to retest 2 weeks after a negative due to the high false negative rate.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Melbel
06-25-2020, 10:51 AM
I along with my 3 kids tested negative via Quest. My MIL who had been PCR positive x3 tested positive as expected. I would have not gone to Quest simply for COVID testing but it was an add on to other blood work. 1 Quest location was great about requiring masks and limiting people in waiting room. A different one was horrific with 1/2 no masks and a packed waiting room so we left.

gatorsmom
06-25-2020, 12:07 PM
I had an actual covid 19 test two weeks ago and tested negative. I had to have it to have my minor surgery on my back.

Dh signed up for the NIH study, but has yet to actually been given a test. He thinks he may have had it in January although he never had any breathing issues, but in the 22 years I have known dh I had never seen him that sick and he said he had never felt as sick as he was for those 7-10 days.

Ive known several people who had a similar experience in January. Worst flu they had ever had and even some bronchitis involved. But these were all people in rural Wisconsin who hadn’t traveled. And few people travel here in January if they can help it. So it’s likely just a coincidence although a strange one.

AnnieW625
06-25-2020, 01:09 PM
Ive known several people who had a similar experience in January. Worst flu they had ever had and even some bronchitis involved. But these were all people in rural Wisconsin who hadn’t traveled. And few people travel here in January if they can help it. So it’s likely just a coincidence although a strange one.

Dh hadn’t traveled either other than to go to Sacramento over New Years weekend, and hadn’t left SoCal prior to that since July, 2019. Myself, Dh, and the kids were all on the same flight and no one other than DH got sick. Of course we live in a way more populated area than rural Wisconsin, but yes a strange coincidence.

gatorsmom
06-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Probably not unless it was part of blood work already being done. What’s the point? There’s no guarantee how long you’d be immune and there is no certainty that you couldn’t pass it on to others. Best not to know, imho.

gatorsmom
06-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Oops. Dbl post

westwoodmom04
06-25-2020, 10:32 PM
Do you happen to know if all the Quest labs are only using the Abbott and Roche tests?

I get labs for my hyperthyroidism done every 8 weeks at Quest and have thought of having the antibody test added since I'm already there. Holding me back so far has been the cost ($119), not knowing how accurate they really are, and even if it came back positive what would that really mean immunity wise.

My mom and I had regular Covid tests done a week after attending the protests. Both negative. We planned to get retested since they said to retest 2 weeks after a negative due to the high false negative rate.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Quest uses the Abbott test and a similar European test that also has fda approval. No Roche, unfortunately, since that’s the best one. I looked into it and couldn’t figure out how to get a Roche test at a lab near me.