PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Thermacell?

liz
06-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Looking to buy one for our yard. Would love to hear from anyone who's used one!

Green_Tea
06-25-2020, 09:32 PM
I just got one for the patio and it DEFINITELY improves the mosquito situation!!

candaceb
06-25-2020, 09:53 PM
DH is a mosquito magnet and he swears by it. He couldn't enjoy time in the hammock without it.

gatorsmom
06-25-2020, 10:08 PM
I just got one for the patio and it DEFINITELY improves the mosquito situation!!

ITA but it has to be right on you. Unless they come in different sizes, because the one we have is small. We use it for eating outside but you cant be more than a few feet from it to keep the bugs away.

mom2binsd
06-26-2020, 12:49 AM
My understanding is that you have to change the cartridge a lot! Our friends take a turmeric capsule before sitting out and it really works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Green_Tea
06-26-2020, 10:30 AM
ITA but it has to be right on you. Unless they come in different sizes, because the one we have is small. We use it for eating outside but you cant be more than a few feet from it to keep the bugs away.
Maybe they come in different sizes. Mine is perfect for sitting around the table and having drinks/eating.

okinawama
06-26-2020, 08:50 PM
My husband uses them while outside hunting and fishing, and feels they make a significant difference.

calebsmama03
06-27-2020, 02:12 PM
I've been wondering about these but was worried that it is essentially just vaporizing bug spray into the air around you. I was also considering the dynatrap but costco is sold out of the smaller one and I want the option to return if it doesn't work - has mixed reviews that are either LOVE or doesn't work at all.

calebsmama03
06-27-2020, 02:41 PM
I've been wondering about these but was worried that it is essentially just vaporizing bug spray into the air around you. I was also considering the dynatrap but costco is sold out of the smaller one and I want the option to return if it doesn't work - has mixed reviews that are either LOVE or doesn't work at all.

twowhat?
06-27-2020, 03:10 PM

Me too, this is my worry with the Thermacell. Not sure I liked the idea of breathing in those vapors. The Dynatrap seems to either work great for some people, or not at all! I have not tried it...it's an investment too!

Here's what I do (I live in TX, we get tons of mosquitos):

Sprinkle Summit Mosquito Bits in gutters, pool deck drains, any open pipes, literally anything that can collect even the tiniest bits of water..look carefully around your yard. Even plants that have cupped leaves that collect water are loved by mosquitos. This is an organic control method that kills mosquito larvae but is safe for virtually all other organisms. It DEFINITELY makes a difference. I sprinkle it after it rains, or every 2-3ish weeks.

Mosquito Barrier - this is a garlic spray, also an organic control method that won't harm bees or other beneficials. It kills/repels mosquitos, gnats, thrips. However, it doesn't last long - a few days at most. It also smells very strongly for the first hour, but the smell dissipates quickly. DD2 actually loves the smell, it makes her think of home cooking hahaha. I like to use this an hour or two ahead of planned outdoor gatherings as an extra oomph and combined with all my other approaches, we get zero mosquitoes for the duration of the outing.

Bifen I/T 7.5% - this is a toxic chemical. It's what a lot of the professional mosquito services use. I hate using chemicals, but mosquitos here are no joke and the organic methods not quite effective enough. Plus, even if you get rid of all standing water, etc on your own property, you are close enough to neighbors and those skeeters WILL find us. We are mosquito magnets. This will kill any mosquitoes that hang out in your vegetation and come out at dusk looking for blood. Follow instructions carefully. I spray every 2-3 weeks in the summer (3 weeks is possible so long as you have the mosquitos under control by removing/treating all standing water). I use a 1 gallon sprayer with a very fine mist wand and this sprayer is dedicated to this chemical and not used for anything else. I wear gloves and an N95 + organic solvent respirator to spray (I don't wear goggles but I wear glasses and shower immediately afterwards). I just started doing this myself (instead of paying for a service) and I like that I can be more targeted with spraying. If we have a bush or shrub that is blooming, I avoid spraying the flowers and focus just on the underbrush closest to the ground because this stuff will kill bees. I also spray exterior door frames and fences - theoretically it will kill mosquitos landing on those surfaces.