PDA

View Full Version : Masks for back to school

ray7694
06-25-2020, 11:10 PM
Just curious are your school requiring masks for return to school. IL is

smiles33
06-25-2020, 11:24 PM
I don't know what our schools are requiring yet, but I'm sure they will require masks. Our area is very compliant.

We're going further, though. DH is requiring our kids to wear both a mask and a full plastic face shield. It's what he wears in his office and he says it protects you better than just a mask alone (since it also provides eye protection). I wear clear safety glasses and a mask when I go grocery shopping but he wants them to wear a full face shield. My kids are 11 and 14--I know they'll be uncomfortable and feel awkward about it, but they're compliant kids and they know this is important to us.

georgiegirl
06-25-2020, 11:28 PM
Our department of education came out today saying that schools could not require masks. Plus they don’t recommend social distancing or health screens. Just some good ole hand washing. Plus, the scariest part of all, “If a district is going to require more than what Department guidance outlines, they should only do so in consultation with public health and legal counsel.” [emoji79]

Smiles, my DH is also requiring our kids to wear face shields. We loves his from work, and we have some arriving in the next few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl
06-26-2020, 12:10 AM
Our district is requiring masks for pre-K up and adults, keeping the same kids in groups, recess outside, but breakfast and lunch in the classroom. Staggering start times and end times. Shortening the school day and getting rid of early release Wednesdays.

They have 3 options, full time in person, flex in person and distance learning, and full time digital academy.

This is probably one of the most "progressive" areas of metro Phoenix, AZ.

wencit
06-26-2020, 12:21 AM
I don't know what our schools are requiring yet, but I'm sure they will require masks. Our area is very compliant.

We're going further, though. DH is requiring our kids to wear both a mask and a full plastic face shield. It's what he wears in his office and he says it protects you better than just a mask alone (since it also provides eye protection). I wear clear safety glasses and a mask when I go grocery shopping but he wants them to wear a full face shield. My kids are 11 and 14--I know they'll be uncomfortable and feel awkward about it, but they're compliant kids and they know this is important to us. Where are you buying your kids' face shields from? I think it was Georgiegirl who recommended Key Surgical, but their face shields are currently sold out with no indication on their website as to when they'll be back in stock.

georgiegirl
06-26-2020, 12:27 AM
Where are you buying your kids' face shields from? I think it was Georgiegirl who recommended Key Surgical, but their face shields are currently sold out with no indication on their website as to when they'll be back in stock.

I also got some on eBay. They are about $5 a piece. These are for use until the ones from key surgical arrive.

essnce629
06-26-2020, 02:31 AM
We haven't heard anything about fall plans from either of my sons' schools yet.

nfceagles
06-26-2020, 07:20 AM
CT released some details yesterday with more to follow on Monday. Masks for all students and keeping kids in cohorts were the most obvious take aways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sf333
06-26-2020, 08:48 AM
MA will require students in 2nd grade and above to wear masks.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/06/mandated-masks-lunch-in-the-classroom-here-is-what-schools-in-massachusetts-will-look-like-in-the-fall-due-to-coronavirus-concerns.html

KrisM
06-26-2020, 08:51 AM
Michigan's guidelines are supposed to come out on Tuesday next week. I expect them to require masks, at least for some grade levels.

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2020, 09:03 AM
Our schools are still in the parent survey phase. No plans yet. I read through the states return to school preliminary plans and I don’t know if masks were required depending on reopening phase or distancing measures.
Ds1’s University is requiring them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Liziz
06-26-2020, 09:29 AM
No. If the spread becomes "moderate to high" then they'll require masks for the staff and recommend them for the students. But unless that happens, business as usual. There is no scenario where students will be required to wear them.

We're in the South in an area where people aren't very compliant with mask wearing (it's not required right now, though). Yesterday and the grocery store a worker wearing her mask starting a massive coughing fit -- and took the mask off to cough better. :banghead:

Melaine
06-26-2020, 09:48 AM
I'd be surprised if our districts require masks but a nearby private is requiring shields.

carolinacool
06-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Our state guidelines are supposed to come out next week. However, in a preliminary report from earlier this month, it said masks for students would be highly encouraged but not required. The governor has mandated masks in general starting today, but excludes kids under 12. My thought is that if they do decide to require them, it will be for middle and high school.

carolinamama
06-26-2020, 10:03 AM
Our governor is announcing his requirements/plans from the state perspective on July 1st. Districts will able to adopt stricter policies but not looser. Our state-wide mask mandate for ages 11 and up goes into effect this evening but is only in place until August 1st. I'm hoping it helps stop the large increase in cases and gets extended. Distancing is great and all but I don't even trust 6 feet when the air exchange in school buildings is almost non-existent.

If our kids return to school, they will be wearing masks so I'm hoping it's a requirement to make it easier on them. We have one faceshield but I need to locate more.

carolinacool
06-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Our governor is announcing his requirements/plans from the state perspective on July 1st. Districts will able to adopt stricter policies but not looser. Our state-wide mask mandate for ages 11 and up goes into effect this evening but is only in place until August 1st. I'm hoping it helps stop the large increase in cases and gets extended. Distancing is great and all but I don't even trust 6 feet when the air exchange in school buildings is almost non-existent.

If our kids return to school, they will be wearing masks so I'm hoping it's a requirement to make it easier on them. We have one faceshield but I need to locate more.

I didn't realize it had an end date.

jgenie
06-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Our schools are still in the parent survey phase. No plans yet. I read through the states return to school preliminary plans and I don’t know if masks were required depending on reopening phase or distancing measures.
Ds1’s University is requiring them.

I can’t believe your oldest is off to college!!! Where did the time go???

NCGrandma
06-26-2020, 10:58 AM

I think the 'end date' will depend on when we actually move from the (now extended) Phase 2 to Phase 3. The latest order extends Phase 2 by 3 more weeks and adds mandatory statewide mask requirements. I think it’s certainly possible that — if the various indicators continue to move in the wrong direction — we might see further extensions.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/north-carolina-pauses-safer-home-phase-2-adds-statewide-requirement-%EF%BB%BF-face-coverings

For those in other states: some counties and cities have already had mask requirements, but the governor’s latest order makes these mandatory statewide.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
06-26-2020, 11:37 AM
From what I can tell from the info the state has released (still waiting on district specific info) they will be required on busses and recommended in classrooms. Possibly required in high schools if conditions get worse and we have to go up a level in the school scenarios.

klwa
06-26-2020, 12:37 PM

Actually, the hard end date is because it is generally illegal to wear masks in NC in public. (Anti-KKK law from the 50s.) That law has been suspended until August 1st, but the legislature is arguing now over whether they will allow the suspension to be extended.

carolinamama
06-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Actually, the hard end date is because it is generally illegal to wear masks in NC in public. (Anti-KKK law from the 50s.) That law has been suspended until August 1st, but the legislature is arguing now over whether they will allow the suspension to be extended.

:yeahthat:

NCGrandma
06-26-2020, 01:42 PM

You’re right, and it's hard to keep track of all the political machinations that are playing into this in NC. Efforts to extend the suspension of the anti-mask law were dropped shortly before the legislature adjourned at 3 a.m. today and won’t be back for 2 weeks. Meanwhile, the Lt Governor is suing the Governor for how he is handling the COVID19 efforts...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ang79
06-26-2020, 03:37 PM
So we are only in the parent survey stage and the district hopes to have a plan to share in mid-July. But in the parent survey it states that one of the recommendations from health officials is that every adult that comes to school wear a mask/face shield but that it is not a recommendation for students, so they may make a mask optional policy for students. I have no idea what health officials they are getting this from, as I thought the CDC recommended that staff and students (especially older ones) wear masks while in the building. My kids won't like wearing a mask, but if it is a requirement I think they would. However, if it is optional and they see their friends not wearing them, they won't want to wear them. And I don't think it will do much to prevent spread if only some of the kids are wearing masks. I understand it being hard for younger kids in our K-3 buildings, but I would think that most 4th graders and up should be able to wear a shield or mask to help prevent spread, or at least mandate it for 7th and up.

PZMommy
06-26-2020, 03:50 PM
So we are only in the parent survey stage and the district hopes to have a plan to share in mid-July. But in the parent survey it states that one of the recommendations from health officials is that every adult that comes to school wear a mask/face shield but that it is not a recommendation for students, so they may make a mask optional policy for students. I have no idea what health officials they are getting this from, as I thought the CDC recommended that staff and students (especially older ones) wear masks while in the building. My kids won't like wearing a mask, but if it is a requirement I think they would. However, if it is optional and they see their friends not wearing them, they won't want to wear them. And I don't think it will do much to prevent spread if only some of the kids are wearing masks. I understand it being hard for younger kids in our K-3 buildings, but I would think that most 4th graders and up should be able to wear a shield or mask to help prevent spread, or at least mandate it for 7th and up.

I think masks should be mandatory for high school students. They re a large group that are typically asyptomatic and I fear they will pass it to the teachers and staff. Both of my co workers are believed to have caught it from their teenage sons. Their kids tested positive, but never had any symptoms.

JBaxter
06-26-2020, 03:53 PM
It should be interesting. DS4 will drive himself crazy I'm going to see what I can do with his 504. He had it on ONE day while at costco and he was already chewing on it. Its going to be a hot mess losing masks who supplies masks what do you do when a kid shows up with out a mask mask envy etc. I did fill out our county's survey I put in I would not be in favor of mandatory masks . We have a option of going back to school regular doing a hybrid of zooming each class during class and signing up for our states virtual school. DS4 is NOT a good candidate for home schooling of any kind.

twowhat?
06-26-2020, 04:34 PM
I'm waiting for our district to make a decision and am in a hot spot state (also in a state where people like to exercise their "right" to not wear a mask). I'm not sure how I feel about it. For the younger ages, I think it's impractical and will result in lots of touching of the face and touching of the mask and back to touching of the face and dirty masks going onto faces. Older kids I think could probably handle it but even then, I'm not sure...

Kids who wear glasses will have the hardest time. It's next to impossible to make a cloth mask that doesn't fog up the glasses without using tape. I've been trying for a while now and while I do have a pattern that works quite well, it requires a strong nose wire and significant adjustment when first putting on the mask and then you have to LEAVE IT ALONE. That just won't work in a school setting where I imagine masks are going to come on and off, on and off...

If our district is going to require masks, I will be embarking on an even more frenzied effort to make a reliably anti-fog mask that doesn't require fiddling/adjusting when taking it on and off. As an adult I am careful to wash or sanitize my hands each time I need to remove my mask and put it back on my face but I cannot imagine doing that in a school setting unless each kid carries around their own hand sanitizer everywhere.

I am VERY pro-mask and we do not enter any building outside our home without a mask on. But for schools...I am having a very hard time envisioning how masks are gonna work in all but MAYBE the older kids (middle/high school).

n2ou
06-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Just curious are your school requiring masks for return to school. IL is

Our suburb of PHX, AZ high school will not be returning when school starts early August. Online only with fading into hybrid when possible. My senior had tears in her eyes when she heard.

carolinacool
06-26-2020, 04:48 PM
It should be interesting. DS4 will drive himself crazy I'm going to see what I can do with his 504. He had it on ONE day while at costco and he was already chewing on it. Its going to be a hot mess losing masks who supplies masks what do you do when a kid shows up with out a mask mask envy etc. I did fill out our county's survey I put in I would not be in favor of mandatory masks . We have a option of going back to school regular doing a hybrid of zooming each class during class and signing up for our states virtual school. DS4 is NOT a good candidate for home schooling of any kind.

So true. Elementary kids, including fourth- and fifth-graders, lose or misplace big things like jackets, lunch boxes and backpacks (??) all the time. Tiny little masks don't stand a chance with some of them. I should just go ahead and stock up for my rising fifth-grader now:

Me: Where's your mask?!
DS: Uhhhhhhhhh....

Hot mess, indeed.

ett
06-26-2020, 05:59 PM
So true. Elementary kids, including fourth- and fifth-graders, lose or misplace big things like jackets, lunch boxes and backpacks (??) all the time. Tiny little masks don't stand a chance with some of them. I should just go ahead and stock up for my rising fifth-grader now:

Me: Where's your mask?!
DS: Uhhhhhhhhh....

Hot mess, indeed.

And older kids still lose tons of things too. You would not believe the number of car keys, glasses, etc. that show up in the high school lost and found. I'm stocking up on masks for both kids as I plan for them to have an extra mask for backup while in school. Like if they drop it on the floor I wouldn't want it back on their face! And they'll be bringing their own hand sanitizer too.

JBaxter
06-26-2020, 06:58 PM
And older kids still lose tons of things too. You would not believe the number of car keys, glasses, etc. that show up in the high school lost and found. I'm stocking up on masks for both kids as I plan for them to have an extra mask for backup while in school. Like if they drop it on the floor I wouldn't want it back on their face! And they'll be bringing their own hand sanitizer too.

Mine lost his AirPods at school yeah a mask has no hope. And we wont even go with teenage zit break outs from masks and the dress code violations In adult world it doesnt seem like a big deal but teens very different.

georgiegirl
06-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Mine lost his AirPods at school yeah a mask has no hope. And we wont even go with teenage zit break outs from masks and the dress code violations In adult world it doesnt seem like a big deal but teens very different.

My teen and her friends are very compliant with mask wearing. She knows she’s allowed to go to Starbucks and other places only if she wears a mask (and if the store workers wear masks too.). And the teens on swim team are all very compliant about wearing masks (it’s required to wear masks in and out of the facility.)

hellokitty
06-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Well, I live in a red state and when they sent surveys to parents, onlyi 30% of us wanted staff and students to wear masks. With that being said and because I was reassigned to covid testing, we have had a drastic increase of people coming in for testing due to having been exposed to someone who tested positive. This is new for our rural region. In spite of the school currently probably moving foward without masks as their policies, IMO we will see a huge surge in late July, early August and I believe that they will have no choice but to make everyone wear masks. My mom is bulk ordering masks with a group that she belongs too and I scoffed when she first asked me about getting masks for our family. Since we stay at home so much (except at work), it's not usually a big issue. However, because I personally think that by August, our area will finally get hit with covid in a way that people will not be able to act like it's some conspiracy, I went ahead and had her order several boxes of disposable masks for my kids. We have some cloth masks, but they aren't always as comfortable as the disposable ones and with the kids using them I'd rather that they not be messing with their masks all of the time (I feel like they do that more with the cloth masks).

lizzywednesday
06-26-2020, 08:37 PM
Just curious are your school requiring masks for return to school....

They *say* they will, and it's in the state regulations for everyone who CAN wear one to be mandatory, but a lot of the parents on the call with the District Sup't were making excuses for so many of their children.

I mean, I'm not going to expect the same level of compliance from a kindergartener that I might from an upper elementary (i.e. - grades 3-5), middle- or high-schooler, but we have three months ahead of us during which we can teach our children that masks protect others and everyone needs to do their part.

AnnieW625
06-26-2020, 09:42 PM
I'm waiting for our district to make a decision and am in a hot spot state (also in a state where people like to exercise their "right" to not wear a mask). I'm not sure how I feel about it. For the younger ages, I think it's impractical and will result in lots of touching of the face and touching of the mask and back to touching of the face and dirty masks going onto faces. Older kids I think could probably handle it but even then, I'm not sure...

Kids who wear glasses will have the hardest time. It's next to impossible to make a cloth mask that doesn't fog up the glasses without using tape. I've been trying for a while now and while I do have a pattern that works quite well, it requires a strong nose wire and significant adjustment when first putting on the mask and then you have to LEAVE IT ALONE. That just won't work in a school setting where I imagine masks are going to come on and off, on and off...

If our district is going to require masks, I will be embarking on an even more frenzied effort to make a reliably anti-fog mask that doesn't require fiddling/adjusting when taking it on and off. As an adult I am careful to wash or sanitize my hands each time I need to remove my mask and put it back on my face but I cannot imagine doing that in a school setting unless each kid carries around their own hand sanitizer everywhere.

I am VERY pro-mask and we do not enter any building outside our home without a mask on. But for schools...I am having a very hard time envisioning how masks are gonna work in all but MAYBE the older kids (middle/high school).

I will pay you for those anti fog masks as well. Please send me a message. We are also pro mask in any building here. Both Dds have been compliant, but yes Dd2 would go through a small bottle of hand sanitizer every 2 days as she is ultra anal about having clean hands. Dd1 likes the non 95 ones I have gotten from Kaiser urgent care and the surgery center, but I really don’t plan on having to back there soon.

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Pinch the nose wire to prevent glasses fog. If your mask design doesn’t have that then get different ones. They make a lot of difference.

gymnbomb
06-26-2020, 10:08 PM
Has anyone tried an anti-fog spray or similar on your glasses? My Mom was going to try something like that, but she never told me if it actually worked.

essnce629
06-27-2020, 03:17 AM

Really? Both my boys (ages 11 and 16) wear glasses full time and have never had an issue with their glasses fogging up while wearing masks. DH and I have also never had our sunglasses fog up when wearing masks outside. We all have the round MamaSeamstress ones with nose wire and the BGreen ones for outside use and during sports. The main issue my kids have had with their glasses and masks is that their glasses slip off super easily, especially when they went back to rock climbing last week. I just solved that issue by buying them both Chums glasses straps.

essnce629
06-27-2020, 03:22 AM
My teen and her friends are very compliant with mask wearing. She knows she’s allowed to go to Starbucks and other places only if she wears a mask (and if the store workers wear masks too.). And the teens on swim team are all very compliant about wearing masks (it’s required to wear masks in and out of the facility.)

Yep, same here in Los Angeles. My 16 year old son has had zero issue wearing a mask and neither do his friends. It's mandatory here so not really an issue at all.

Smillow
06-27-2020, 07:21 AM
The glasses fogging issue has a lot to do with humidity. On the east coast, in the summer it happens much more often than back in April when I first started wearing a mask. But getting out of an air conditioned car into the humidity, that happened without a mask, too!

AnnieW625
06-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Really? Both my boys (ages 11 and 16) wear glasses full time and have never had an issue with their glasses fogging up while wearing masks. DH and I have also never had our sunglasses fog up when wearing masks outside. We all have the round MamaSeamstress ones with nose wire and the BGreen ones for outside use and during sports. The main issue my kids have had with their glasses and masks is that their glasses slip off super easily, especially when they went back to rock climbing last week. I just solved that issue by buying them both Chums glasses straps.

My kids, DH, and myself have had issues with glasses fogging up. My issue is mainly with sunglasses and reading glasses. I will have to look at those brands you suggested. We have standard rectangular masks that my mom has made that don’t have nose wires though. I wonder where you can buy nose wires?

twowhat?
06-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Pinch the nose wire to prevent glasses fog. If your mask design doesn’t have that then get different ones. They make a lot of difference.

I wish it was this simple! The nose wire is a MUST. But doesn't reliably prevent fogging for us. Stronger wire helps but any shift of the mask on our faces that lets air out through the top and the glasses fog again. Folding up a Kleenex and tucking it inside the mask right on the nose bridge and right under the wire helps, but again requires that "fiddling" (ideally to be done with clean hands) that would make it impractical for a school strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried an anti-fog spray or similar on your glasses? My Mom was going to try something like that, but she never told me if it actually worked.

Not reliably. At least not for us. Same with dish soap, spit...doesn't work reliably.

So wearing glasses so that they rest on top of the top edge of the mask does help, but yes you run into slippage issues. We all have strong prescriptions ranging from 6+ to 11+ (!!) and this method doesn't work reliably well. I've tried these patterns (as well as many other variations) without reliable success, even with a strong nose wire.

The glasses fogging issue has a lot to do with humidity. On the east coast, in the summer it happens much more often than back in April when I first started wearing a mask. But getting out of an air conditioned car into the humidity, that happened without a mask, too!

Could be. Where I live it gets very hot and humidity varies greatly (usually dry but we do have humid stretches). Going inside/outside is the biggest pain because of the temperature difference with outside air and inside cooled air. I'm surprised so many people have no issues wearing glasses. I wonder if part of it is how thick our lenses are - so they take longer to acclimate to whatever temperature you are in and are therefore more sensitive to any warm air coming from our mouths that happens to leak out the top of our masks. The masks we wear have to be carefully adjusted so that the top edge is literally AIR TIGHT. Coffee bag wires work great but if you accidentally bump the mask and it shifts, then that wire no longer conforms exactly to the face and warm air leaks out and glasses fog. So far tape is the only thing that works 100% well (which is what a lot of medical professionals use with glasses if they are not wearing a fit-tested N95) but is also 100% a PITA if you are thinking about taking masks on/off for errands or (gulp) school. Oh, the other thing that works reliably well is to use fabrics that are very thin or with a loose weave...and therefore very unprotective hahaha so that's not an option. Our other problem might just be our face shapes (flat noses, glasses sit very close to the face).

twowhat?
06-27-2020, 09:03 AM
My kids, DH, and myself have had issues with glasses fogging up. My issue is mainly with sunglasses and reading glasses. I will have to look at those brands you suggested. We have standard rectangular masks that my mom has made that don’t have nose wires though. I wonder where you can buy nose wires?

Annie, save your coffee bag ties or ask neighbors to save theirs! Those have worked the best for us as they are wide, flat, and strong. If you can at least work a needle, you can hand stitch a couple of thread loops to secure the wire (just fold the wire in a little at each end to create loops, and use those loops to attach to the outside of your masks with thread). You can buy nose wires on Amazon now (including adhesive metal ones) but I haven't tried any of those. You can also try pipe cleaners, though I have found that they are not strong enough to hold their shape well but doubling up on pipe cleaners works decently well. Paper clips are strong but suffer from lack of surface area since they are just a thin wire, but worth a try.

If I sent you a pattern of the masks that have worked best for us so far, would your mom be able to make them? I lack both fabric and time, or I would totally make them for you :)

KrisM
06-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Teens are hit or miss here with wearing masks. My kids aren't out much at all, but when they are, they have no issue in masks. I think, like a lot of things, it comes down to the parent's opinion on the masks. If the kids/teens are hearing from their parent that mandatory masks won't work, they are against our freedoms, they are uncomfortable, etc, then the kids/teens will think that as well and not comply with wearing them. Most of the teens I see in groups with no masks (pictures on facebook mostly) have parents who think the whole Covid thing is over the top and we should just be back to 100% normal lives.

SnuggleBuggles
06-27-2020, 09:23 AM
My teen has to wear one during some points at work. He lifeguards and any time he isn’t in the chair he wears one. Every time I’ve gone to the pool the guards are following that.

JElaineB
06-27-2020, 10:07 AM
My state very specifically said schools are discouraged from requiring mask use. But my school district last night sent out an email saying they likely will have stricter standards than put out by the state Department of Education, thankfully. However, especially for those of you who find masks difficult for your children to wear, look into face shields instead. For the average person they are likely just as good or better for protective purposes as masks. Follow Dr. Eli Perencevich @eliowa on Twitter who is a proponent of face shields.

AnnieW625
06-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Annie, save your coffee bag ties or ask neighbors to save theirs! Those have worked the best for us as they are wide, flat, and strong. If you can at least work a needle, you can hand stitch a couple of thread loops to secure the wire (just fold the wire in a little at each end to create loops, and use those loops to attach to the outside of your masks with thread). You can buy nose wires on Amazon now (including adhesive metal ones) but I haven't tried any of those. You can also try pipe cleaners, though I have found that they are not strong enough to hold their shape well but doubling up on pipe cleaners works decently well. Paper clips are strong but suffer from lack of surface area since they are just a thin wire, but worth a try.

If I sent you a pattern of the masks that have worked best for us so far, would your mom be able to make them? I lack both fabric and time, or I would totally make them for you :)

Thank you so much. I am not a confident sewer by any means and my sewing machine is packed away (for our move), but I will forward the template to my mom. Thanks for the tip about the coffee bag wires. I will collect some and send them to my mom too. Dd2’s glasses are thick on one side as she is a -11 on one side and a +2.5 on the other. Dh is a -9 in both eyes and DD1 is a +1.75 in both but has a astigmatism. I wear reading glasses and I tried to put them on in the nail salon the other day with my mask and it was instant fogging up. I do get a bit of fogging as well with my sunglasses but not as much as with my regular glasses.

lizzywednesday
06-27-2020, 10:38 AM

Not reliably. At least not for us. Same with dish soap, spit...doesn't work reliably...

My dad has used anti-fog spray, but he also had decent success with shaving foam (on my advice) which is much cheaper than the anti-fog spray he bought!

Adding that plus a folded tissue or another kind of filter may increase the reliability of anti-fogging methods that aren't specialized products.

gymnbomb
06-27-2020, 12:59 PM
My dad has used anti-fog spray, but he also had decent success with shaving foam (on my advice) which is much cheaper than the anti-fog spray he bought!

Adding that plus a folded tissue or another kind of filter may increase the reliability of anti-fogging methods that aren't specialized products.

I think shaving foam might actually be what my mom was trying!

AnnieW625
06-27-2020, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have lens coating on their glasses and that is why the fog up? The girls have transitions and I have blue lens for computer. Dh has nothing. I would hate to put any kind of coating on our already coated lenses and have them get messed up.

twowhat?
06-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Does anyone have lens coating on their glasses and that is why the fog up? The girls have transitions and I have blue lens for computer. Dh has nothing. I would hate to put any kind of coating on our already coated lenses and have them get messed up.

We always have the anti-reflective coating. In general it's not a good idea to use anything other than a lens cleaner on glasses. Dawn dish soap (while it does work moderately well) is probably really bad for any kind of coating when used repeatedly. This is definitely the reason I don't like rubbing anything on our glasses.

Face shields are definitely an option if masks are too difficult. We'll see...I feel like I could do a combination of sturdy wire + foam underneath (to replicate the Kleenex effect) and that might work reliably well since the foam is squishy...just have to think about how best to attach the foam to keep the mask washable (or figure out a way to attach the foam to where it's easily replaceable when it needs to be replaced). Maybe velcro or snaps!

AnnieW625
06-27-2020, 07:29 PM
We always have the anti-reflective coating. In general it's not a good idea to use anything other than a lens cleaner on glasses. Dawn dish soap (while it does work moderately well) is probably really bad for any kind of coating when used repeatedly. This is definitely the reason I don't like rubbing anything on our glasses.

Face shields are definitely an option if masks are too difficult. We'll see...I feel like I could do a combination of sturdy wire + foam underneath (to replicate the Kleenex effect) and that might work reliably well since the foam is squishy...just have to think about how best to attach the foam to keep the mask washable (or figure out a way to attach the foam to where it's easily replaceable when it needs to be replaced). Maybe velcro or snaps!

Thanks for the input. I was leaning against putting any kind of coating on our glasses anyway. The only time I have needed to wear my reading glasses with a mask was the other day at the nail salon and in the end it wasn’t worth the hassle so I just made the font on my kindle bigger and took off the glasses.

KrisM
06-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Michigan's info came out today. In Phase 4, which most of us are in now, masks are required for all grades on the bus, in the halls, and in common areas. They are required for all staff all day. And they're required for grades 6-12 in classrooms. If we move to Phase 5, which the UP and northern lower are in now, they change to recommended, but not required.