PDA

View Full Version : School Buses

gymnbomb
06-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Just saw on a local Mom's page that the neighboring district is only offering busing for students with IEPs that specify transportation, and our district laid off all of the bus monitors which they are taking to mean they will not be providing bus service either (in state plan they were supposed to be responsible for checking student temps/symptoms, etc.). So much for my plan to use the bus schedule to be able to add almost an hour to my work day. Thank goodness I wasn't relying on before and after school care at our daycare, because the transportation is provided by the regular school bus route.

This is going to make drop off and pick up a huge nightmare. It is already bad, and they specifically ask anyone who can possibly use the bus to do so to make drop off and pick up better. Anyone else's schools doing this too?

Kindra178
06-26-2020, 10:00 PM
We don’t have buses at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kestrel
06-26-2020, 10:03 PM
Oh gosh, that's scary! I haven't heard anything yet, but in our very rural district, 90% + of students in elementary and middle school use the bus.

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2020, 10:04 PM
No plans in my state yet. I’d love for his route to improve because they’d put more buses out for social distancing and he wouldn’t be stuck on the bus 2 hours each way (we drive him because of that). It’s required to provide transportation so I’m not sure what they’ll do. Not enough drivers exist to fill the current demand let alone a higher demand.

scrooks
06-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Our district is awaiting state guidelines on busing but has stated that the busing policy may change (right now I am pretty sure every student is offered busing). They mentioned parents may need to transport children. Our work schedules are flexible enough that we should be able to drive our kids but I expect it may be an issue for some families.

georgiegirl
06-26-2020, 10:27 PM
My kids’ busses are usually completely packed. They will not be riding busses next year if I send them to school. Fortunately DD is eligible for her school license on 9/18, and DS1’s school is across the street from hers. So that would leave me with only 1 kid to drive after the first month.

Our state doesn’t recommend masks at school or on busses, though districts can make their own rules

gymnbomb
06-26-2020, 10:33 PM
Our state doesn’t recommend masks at school or on busses, though districts can make their own rules

Our state's regulations for buses seemed much more strict than their regulations for classrooms (masks required on buses, distancing, etc.). I am sure that's why some districts are opting not to bus. They didn't have any realistic way to be able to meet the busing requirements.

mom2binsd
06-27-2020, 01:34 PM
We don’t have buses at all.

Do your kids go to public school in IL?

I don't know any districts downstate who don't offer busing, you have to live a certain distance away. None of the private schools/catholic/University Labs schools offer busing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)[/QUOTE]

Liziz
06-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Pre-COVID, our school pushed parents to use the bus too, to reduce the drop off and pick up craziness. Our district plans on continuing to bus students, although instead of encouraging parents to use the bus they're now saying "if you're concerned, you can drive you children". They are counting on the bus numbers to be diminished based on kids choosing LFH, but I don't think the numbers will be enough to matter. They've already said that we should expect some children will still need to sit three to a seat, and that it's okay because "the bus seats are high and provide a natural barrier between children" (HA!) and that if parents are concerned they can tell their kids to wear masks.

I would really like to be able to send my kids on the bus in the mornings, but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable enough. I do agree however that not providing bussing will cause a lot of trouble for a lot of parents.