PDA

View Full Version : Who’s excited to see Hamilton on Disney+ on Friday???

jgenie
06-27-2020, 08:05 PM
We are counting down the days in our house!! Super, super, super excited here!! We bought a projector to watch movies outside this summer and are planning to break it out for the first time on Friday for the release. Does anyone have anything fun planned? Themed snacks? Decoration ideas? Any fun surprises? Are you watching first thing in the morning or waiting until later to watch?

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2020, 08:10 PM
My DH rescheduled our small group meeting from church so we could watch it with the kids, lol. We are excited because it's the same set of actors we saw live last summer, I believe. We were in NYC, no tickets, waited in the cancellation line as we learned about it from the box office security guard, and we got one seat plus 4 standing room only spots...we all 5 got to see it live for $395. It was awesome! My kids sang every song for the rest of our trip, which was flying to Salt Lake to drive through Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We are excited to sing along again!

jgenie
06-27-2020, 08:28 PM
My DH rescheduled our small group meeting from church so we could watch it with the kids, lol. We are excited because it's the same set of actors we saw live last summer, I believe. We were in NYC, no tickets, waited in the cancellation line as we learned about it from the box office security guard, and we got one seat plus 4 standing room only spots...we all 5 got to see it live for $395. It was awesome! My kids sang every song for the rest of our trip, which was flying to Salt Lake to drive through Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We are excited to sing along again!

What a steal!! We saw it in February and we would love to see it again. Now we’ll be able to watch it whenever we want!! The soundtrack has been on a loop here since DH bought it for me for Christmas. We were late to the party because we waited until our kids were old enough to sit through it.

PZMommy
06-27-2020, 08:28 PM
I am! We had tickets to see it this spring in LA. Obviously that didn’t happen. I’ve never seen it before, so I hope it comes back here again at some point.

georgiegirl
06-27-2020, 09:33 PM
We are so excited as well! We went two years ago when I came to our town. My older two are huge fans. (Youngest is only 6.5, so too young.). We will just watch it at home. It’s our wedding anniversary that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
06-27-2020, 10:57 PM
We are super-fans. I've been listening to the soundtrack since the original cast was on Broadway, and I switched to the "clean" version of the original Broadway cast album when I realized the kids were enjoying it too. We saw it at the Kennedy Center two years ago, and I had tickets for the kids' birthday this year (sob) but obvs that got canceled (it was a surprise, so they don't have to bear the disappointment). We can't wait. L-MM is one of the girls' heroes. He's on my dream "friends squad". :) Even DH is excited.

ourbabygirl
06-27-2020, 11:11 PM
I'm excited to see it with at least DH; not sure if my kids would be interested, but I'm hoping my older two will give it a try... I saw it a year or two ago with my mom, SIL, and her mom, and it was wonderful. I laughed and cried, and had all the emotions... hope it can still be amazing on t.v., as well!

jgenie
06-27-2020, 11:14 PM
We are super-fans. I've been listening to the soundtrack since the original cast was on Broadway, and I switched to the "clean" version of the original Broadway cast album when I realized the kids were enjoying it too. We saw it at the Kennedy Center two years ago, and I had tickets for the kids' birthday this year (sob) but obvs that got canceled (it was a surprise, so they don't have to bear the disappointment). We can't wait. L-MM is one of the girls' heroes. He's on my dream "friends squad". :) Even DH is excited.

Is the kid version available on a cd? We play via Sonos and need a cd to add the music to our library.

Melaine
06-28-2020, 07:11 AM
We are so excited as well! We went two years ago when I came to our town. My older two are huge fans. (Youngest is only 6.5, so too young.). We will just watch it at home. It’s our wedding anniversary that day.

So it's not appropriate for little kids right? There is language and inappropriate content?

DH and the girls and I will definitely watch it. DH actually has been listening to the sound track lately which cracks me up because it's not expected.

Philly Mom
06-28-2020, 08:20 AM

My 6.5 year old cant wait. She knows all the words. We started listening to the music when she was 3. We are all really excited, but both kids are the most excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
06-28-2020, 09:20 AM
So it's not appropriate for little kids right? There is language and inappropriate content?

DH and the girls and I will definitely watch it. DH actually has been listening to the sound track lately which cracks me up because it's not expected.

There is one scene I would have loved to fast forward through. The music does have strong language. We couldn’t get tickets when DS1 was in 3rd grade (9 yo) without paying crazy fees so we waited. Finally got face value tickets in February when DS2 was 10 yo. We play it at home all the time but my DC know we don’t play it in mixed company and we don’t play it on our outside speakers.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 09:30 AM

Well, everyone has a different barometer for appropriate.
Plus, they edited this version for Disney. I hope they don’t do too much editing because I never thought it was that bad. But, it’s been a while since I saw (twice) or listened because it gets stuck in my head so badly! I love it but my brain needed to break free of the songs! It’s so good!

nfceagles
06-28-2020, 10:07 AM
I saw it twice last year in London, once with my mom and once with DD.

I just checked my email and I spent $149 for 2 tickets on December 6, 2019 for the January 9, 2020 show (xmas gift for DD). On September 5, 2019 I paid $97.50 for 2 tickets for the October 3 show with my visiting mom! Theater in London was the best!!!

They’ve announced Hamilton, Phantom, Les Mis, and Mary Poppins are closed until at least 2021. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
06-28-2020, 10:23 AM

My DH is super frustrated because apparently had 3 F words in it and h they took 2 out but left one in! It would have been so easy to edit all three! I don’t know what else is in the show but we don’t want our littles to watch it with that kind of language. I’m sure I’ll see it.

Melaine
06-28-2020, 10:36 AM
My DH is super frustrated because apparently had 3 F words in it and h they took 2 out but left one in! It would have been so easy to edit all three! I don’t know what else is in the show but we don’t want our littles to watch it with that kind of language. I’m sure I’ll see it.

That's annoying? I wonder why they did that rather than ditch them all. I saw people online complaining that they edited it at all. Surely we can handle lack of swear words on the Disney channel????

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 11:02 AM
I guess I just don't get the problem with a few swear words. "Grown up words" covers it here. Heck, I think if you don't point them out and make them a big deal then they will be ignored anyway. The words just flow in the songs in a way that you easily go right past them, imo.

smilequeen
06-28-2020, 11:38 AM
SO SO SO excited!

bisous
06-28-2020, 12:08 PM
That's annoying? I wonder why they did that rather than ditch them all. I saw people online complaining that they edited it at all. Surely we can handle lack of swear words on the Disney channel????

DH says it can still have one and be rated PG13 which is required for the platform. But honestly if they’re already editing it, why not remove them all? I’m not a fan of swear words at all. My older kids have been exposed to some language in movies we watch and lots more at school but I try to avoid it in my home whenever we can. It’s just our preference.

Melaine
06-28-2020, 12:51 PM
DH says it can still have one and be rated PG13 which is required for the platform. But honestly if they’re already editing it, why not remove them all? I’m not a fan of swear words at all. My older kids have been exposed to some language in movies we watch and lots more at school but I try to avoid it in my home whenever we can. It’s just our preference.

Totally agree. We do not curse and don't want to hear that in movies on Disney!

georgiegirl
06-28-2020, 12:56 PM

Well I’m assuming the one that’s left is one that’s in the middle of a phrase that is kind of a one of the biggest phrases in the show/song: “Southern mother f-ing Democratic Republicans.”

jgenie
06-28-2020, 12:59 PM
"Grown up words" covers it here. Heck, I think if you don't point them out and make them a big deal then they will be ignored anyway. The words just flow in the songs in a way that you easily go right past them, imo.

This is how we handled it but my DC were older. I wasn’t ready to have my 6 yr old singing the lyrics.

bisous
06-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Well I’m assuming the one that’s left is one that’s in the middle of a phrase that is kind of a one of the biggest phrases in the show/song: “Southern mother f-ing Democratic Republicans.”

Maybe that's it! Maybe its harder to edit out than the others. We'll probably watch it with the big kids but we'll stick to the clean version for the littler ones. My DD has what DH calls a phonographic memory. She can remember just about anything that she hears. (This is in contrast to me--I confess I hardly listen to lyrics) so we do need to be a little careful around her!

jgenie
06-28-2020, 01:08 PM

I get it. This is why we avoided the Marvel movies as long as we could. My DH bought me the cd for Christmas. Once my DC heard it they were hooked.

Tenasparkl
06-28-2020, 01:09 PM
I can’t wait!! ❤️❤️

Re language: it sounds the one “F word” that remains is in Say No to This. The two that have been altered are the Hercules Mulligan line in Yorktown (best use of it in a song IMO) and the Southern MF’n line in Washington On Your Side. https://www.insider.com/hamilton-disney-plus-censorship-f-word-lin-manuel-miranda-pg13-2020-6

jgenie
06-28-2020, 01:14 PM
I'm excited to see it with at least DH; not sure if my kids would be interested, but I'm hoping my older two will give it a try... I saw it a year or two ago with my mom, SIL, and her mom, and it was wonderful. I laughed and cried, and had all the emotions... hope it can still be amazing on t.v., as well!

I felt the same when we saw it. I told DH we are lucky tickets weren’t readily available when we saw it. I would have walked right to the box office after our show to buy tickets to see it again.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Maybe that's it! Maybe its harder to edit out than the others. We'll probably watch it with the big kids but we'll stick to the clean version for the littler ones. My DD has what DH calls a phonographic memory. She can remember just about anything that she hears. (This is in contrast to me--I confess I hardly listen to lyrics) so we do need to be a little careful around her!

If she hears a sweat word and repeats it, just say no. :) I’m a car-swearer; I rarely swear outside of when I’m driving. I also have a few songs with swearing. Kids just know they can’t repeat what I/song says. I wouldn’t skip a great show over a word. :)

Kestrel
06-28-2020, 01:47 PM
I've not seen it; is it bloody/gore? It was a time of war, do they glorify the violence?

There's enough violence going on right now, I'm trying to shelter from it as best we can.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 02:04 PM
I've not seen it; is it bloody/gore? It was a time of war, do they glorify the violence?

There's enough violence going on right now, I'm trying to shelter from it as best we can.
Its a stage play. Not a movie.

nfceagles
06-28-2020, 02:07 PM

It’s a Broadway musical so no literal blood or gore, but there are scenes like (SPOILER ALERT [emoji6]) where he dies in a duel with Aaron Burr. So no actual blood or bullets but a theatrical acting out of being shot and carried away. And he’s one of three deaths by gunfire that I can remember. Hope that makes sense.

georgiegirl
06-28-2020, 02:17 PM
I can’t wait!! [emoji3590][emoji3590]

Re language: it sounds the one “F word” that remains is in Say No to This. The two that have been altered are the Hercules Mulligan line in Yorktown (best use of it in a song IMO) and the Southern MF’n line in Washington On Your Side. https://www.insider.com/hamilton-disney-plus-censorship-f-word-lin-manuel-miranda-pg13-2020-6

I don’t think the one on Say No to This should even count. It’s not the while word, just the first half

Tenasparkl
06-28-2020, 03:32 PM
I don’t think the one on Say No to This should even count. It’s not the while word, just the first half

I agree!

JustMe
06-28-2020, 09:40 PM
I will be paying for one month of Disney Plus just to watch it!

pharmjenn
06-28-2020, 10:57 PM
I will be paying for one month of Disney Plus just to watch it!

I am considering doing this as well! I am sure there are plenty of things I would watch, but just have too many other pay channels currently.

lizzywednesday
06-29-2020, 11:28 AM
I am super-excited, but DH mentioned a family watch party once the ILs come home from AZ, and I am beyond p!ssed that he even mentioned it as a family get-together thing at all because I have been waiting since it was at THE PUBLIC THEATER (and it was super-impossible to get tickets even then) to see it.

(I apologize if that sounds really hipster-y; I'm not trying to sound that way. I have been super-excited following the show's rise, LMM's Twitter presence, and all of the hype, including Ham4Ham shows and sometimes I get a little over-enthusiastic, which comes off really badly.)

lizzywednesday
06-29-2020, 11:35 AM
... We are excited because it's the same set of actors we saw live last summer, I believe. ...

No, it's not anybody you saw if you saw it recently.

It's a filmed performance (well, performances, as they used 2 nights' versions to edit into the whole thing) of the original B'way cast, so it's got everyone you hear on the OBCR before their contracts were up for review in 2016.

So, if you saw it last summer, that means you'd have seen, say, Mandy Gonzales as Angelica and either Lexi Lawson or Denee Benton as Eliza (more likely Denee), both of whom are amazing performers (I saw Mandy as Nina in In the Heights on Broadway over a decade ago and I want to be her when I grow up), but the original cast players are Tony-winner Renee-Elise Goldsberry as Angelica and Tony-nominee Phillippa Soo as Eliza.

HannaAddict
06-29-2020, 02:48 PM

All the kids I know love it. Our not quite seven year old saw it with us on Broadway and was enthralled. Saw it again in our city and listens to the soundtrack nightly at bedtime! I bet your kids will love it.

HannaAddict
06-29-2020, 02:49 PM

I think it is appropriate for little kids but we aren’t freaked out by a couple of swear words. They did take out two F words so kids could see it, it is a great production. Not the typical musical.

HannaAddict
06-29-2020, 02:51 PM

Many of us are glad they didn’t scrub it. The f word is sometimes the right word! Disappointed they had to take two F words out for the ratings police.

HannaAddict
06-29-2020, 02:53 PM

The F word is the right word in some cases! It isn’t just Disney channel, it is a musical work that doesn’t need to be Tipper Gored. It is about revolution and more, powerful themes that deserve the author’s words. But I’m not nearly as pearl clutching as many on this board! :)

georgiegirl
06-29-2020, 03:00 PM
The F word is the right word in some cases! It isn’t just Disney channel, it is a musical work that doesn’t need to be Tipper Gored. It is about revolution and more, powerful themes that deserve the author’s words. But I’m not nearly as pearl clutching as many on this board! :)

I totally agree with you. Well placed profanity is completely appropriate. Now people refusing to wear masks, that something to get upset about. But a couple of ****s??? Not sure what the fuss is about. And I wish they left the other two ****s in as well.

bisous
06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Interesting. I think it’s overused and common for a word that is supposed to be shocking. I’m not familiar enough with the songs to know if they’re better than the clean version (or are they just bleeped?) I always thought Ceelo Greens “Forget You” was more catchy than its original version.

sariana
06-29-2020, 03:16 PM
I saw the play in San Francisco last year and wasn't impressed (though we saw it less than a week after DH lost his job, so we weren't exactly in the right mood), but DD really wants to see it. So I'm happy she'll have the chance. She hates bad language (she doesn't like the "damn" in The Greatest Showman), but most of her friends know the show. I don't know if she'll like it or not.

bisous
06-29-2020, 03:21 PM
I saw the play in San Francisco last year and wasn't impressed (though we saw it less than a week after DH lost his job, so we weren't exactly in the right mood), but DD really wants to see it. So I'm happy she'll have the chance. She hates bad language (she doesn't like the "damn" in The Greatest Showman), but most of her friends know the show. I don't know if she'll like it or not.

I think you must be the first person I’ve heard that didn’t like it. What was it that you didn’t like?

HannaAddict
06-29-2020, 03:21 PM
I totally agree with you. Well placed profanity is completely appropriate. Now people refusing to wear masks, that something to get upset about. But a couple of ****s??? Not sure what the fuss is about. And I wish they left the other two ****s in as well.

I know, I don’t get it. Figured I’d be roundly castigated but also think people should worry about the important things and a couple of F words used in an artistic work aren’t even a blip on the radar. And kids are resilient and don’t freak out over every bad word or don’t even notice. Swear words have absolutely zero to do with morality or goodness, so not a big deal.

georgiegirl
06-29-2020, 03:29 PM
I know, I don’t get it. Figured I’d be roundly castigated but also think people should worry about the important things and a couple of F words used in an artistic work aren’t even a blip on the radar. And kids are resilient and don’t freak out over every bad word or don’t even notice. Swear words have absolutely zero to do with morality or goodness, so not a big deal.

I couldn’t agree with you more, especially your last sentence. Granted my 6 year old has been known to use profanity when he’s very angry (only at home), but if a book he’s reading out loud has the word “stupid” in it, he refuses to say it. [emoji23]

bisous
06-29-2020, 03:30 PM

So, maybe some of us feel differently about that last line than you do. We’re not telling you not to let your kids do something, we’re just trying to figure out what we want to do with our kids. I’m glad that other posters were kind.

PunkyBoo
06-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIn general I'd agree with you. But I have a DS that has ADHD impulse control issues and when he hears bad language, he parrots bad language. Usually at times that are completely inappropriate, like at school when he's angry or frustrated. Or around family that tends to judge our parenting. I'd love for him to see Hamilton because he studied American history this year at school, but I have to be super careful about how/when he is exposed to profanity. So I'm grateful that they edited it for Disney viewing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

carolinacool
06-29-2020, 04:12 PM
I've never had any strong desire to see this, but the constant commercial has piqued me interest. I might get Disney+ for the month as well. lol

AnnieW625
06-29-2020, 04:47 PM

I think you must be the first person I’ve heard that didn’t like it. What was it that you didn’t like?

Dd1 and I saw it in San Francisco last fall as well. We paid $100 each for good seats and I do feel like I got my money’s worth for seeing the show, but I think if I had paid more than say $150 per ticket that I am not sure I would’ve felt like it was worth it. The music was good, the story was creative, and the performers were excellent, but neither Dd1 nor I became crazed Hamilton fans after seeing it, which I am not sure is the norm; we haven’t even listened to the soundtrack so while it was good and we enjoyed it we didn’t get caught up in all of the hype. Dd1 did find parts of interesting because they were studying early American history at the same time in school. Dd2 has not shown any interest in seeing and TBH she might find it boring at first.

newnana
06-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Interesting. I think it’s overused and common for a word that is supposed to be shocking. I’m not familiar enough with the songs to know if they’re better than the clean version (or are they just bleeped?) I always thought Ceelo Greens “Forget You” was more catchy than its original version.

wait, what? there's a different version of that song?! I'm so out of it on music. We made DD a playlist not knowing a couple Maroon 5 songs had radio versions (that we knew) and the ones that we downloaded, that were NOT okay. And we swear a LOT. Oops. Good to know, may have to look that up later, i do enjoy the forget you version I know.

Totally excited!!!! Cannot wait for Hamilton to come out. DD is obsessed. We've watched the documentary about Hamilton on Amazon. DD has the book and knows every lyric. Count her in the list of kids that won't say "stupid" but we wouldn't mind even a little her hearing f bombs all day long for the sake of expanding her love of musical theater.

marinkitty
06-29-2020, 05:06 PM
So I just have to share a funny (or maybe horrifying, depending on your point of view) thing that happened to us after our kids saw Hamilton back in 2017 given all this talk about the language in the show. We saw it in December and then went to Belize for Christmas on vacation. The kids were all about the soundtrack and had all the worlds memorized within a week. So one night we were eating dinner at the hotel restaurant and our youngest, who was nine then, was finished eating and stood up and started sort of dancing around singing "How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore . . . " and then instead of continuing on singing the song, he started to stomp in a circle staying "son of a whore, son of a whore, son of a whore" and sort of stomp his foot to the beat. He had NO IDEA what a bastard or a whore was at the time. I had to stop him and come up with a ten-year old explanation of why the folks in Belize might not understand why someone would be singing that given that Hamilton wasn't a thing there and why son of a whore wasn't something to go around singing in any event. I obviously wasn't fussed about exposing my kids to the show, but the dining room show wasn't something I anticipated as a result!

georgiegirl
06-29-2020, 05:23 PM
So I just have to share a funny (or maybe horrifying, depending on your point of view) thing that happened to us after our kids saw Hamilton back in 2017 given all this talk about the language in the show. We saw it in December and then went to Belize for Christmas on vacation. The kids were all about the soundtrack and had all the worlds memorized within a week. So one night we were eating dinner at the hotel restaurant and our youngest, who was nine then, was finished eating and stood up and started sort of dancing around singing "How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore . . . " and then instead of continuing on singing the song, he started to stomp in a circle staying "son of a whore, son of a whore, son of a whore" and sort of stomp his foot to the beat. He had NO IDEA what a bastard or a whore was at the time. I had to stop him and come up with a ten-year old explanation of why the folks in Belize might not understand why someone would be singing that given that Hamilton wasn't a thing there and why son of a whore wasn't something to go around singing in any event. I obviously wasn't fussed about exposing my kids to the show, but the dining room show wasn't something I anticipated as a result!

OMG, hilarious! [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

When we saw it, my almost 9 year old asked what a whore was.

sariana
06-29-2020, 05:31 PM

I didn't really like anything about it. I didn't like the rap style. I couldn't understand a lot of the words and didn't know what was going on. The dancing was fine but nothing special. I just kept wondering, "When do we get to the good part?"

PZMommy
06-29-2020, 06:12 PM
I didn't really like anything about it. I didn't like the rap style. I couldn't understand a lot of the words and didn't know what was going on. The dancing was fine but nothing special. I just kept wondering, "When do we get to the good part?"

My husband got to go as a chaperone as part of a special program for his high school class. He didn’t care for it, but he doesn’t “get” theater productions. He slept through Wicked, so I take his reviews with a grain of salt. He was willing to see Hamilton with me again, but I’d bet money he’d sleep through it.

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2020, 06:20 PM
My husband got to go as a chaperone as part of a special program for his high school class. He didn’t care for it, but he doesn’t “get” theater productions. He slept through Wicked, so I take his reviews with a grain of salt. He was willing to see Hamilton with me again, but I’d bet money he’d sleep through it.

Did he do the educational piece ahead of time? The Hamilton program that came through our city offered low income schools a chance to attend for free but they had several after school classes and a group project to complete in order to earn it. It was a really cool program!
ETA- my mom and I saw it together and I loved it. So I took my family (all boys, and they all like musical theater). They totally didn’t get the appeal.

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2020, 06:21 PM

I find my musical enjoyment is greatly enhanced if I listen to the soundtrack beforehand. I’m not trying to figure out what is going on. I can relax and enjoy the show.

PZMommy
06-29-2020, 06:50 PM
Did he do the educational piece ahead of time? The Hamilton program that came through our city offered low income schools a chance to attend for free but they had several after school classes and a group project to complete in order to earn it. It was a really cool program!
ETA- my mom and I saw it together and I loved it. So I took my family (all boys, and they all like musical theater). They totally didn’t get the appeal.

Yes! He had to do a ton of prep work all semester to be able to go. Lessons and projects were all part of it. I think the students really enjoyed it, but my DH is just not into theater. I was willing to go in his place. lol His school was going to get to go again when it was here this spring, but obviously that didn’t happen. He wasn’t teaching US History, so he wouldn’t have been going.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2020, 02:29 PM

The Gilder-Lehrman Foundation collaborated on the EduHam programming ... and you can do it at home with your own kids if you want:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/programs-and-events/eduham-home

lizzywednesday
06-30-2020, 02:34 PM
...Disappointed they had to take two F words out for the ratings police.

I prefer to quote LMM on this (https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1275146947096174595?s=20): "I literally gave two f^cks so the kids could see it."

(I'm still giggling over this.)

jgenie
06-30-2020, 03:10 PM
I prefer to quote LMM on this (https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1275146947096174595?s=20): "I literally gave two f^cks so the kids could see it."

(I'm still giggling over this.)

I thought that quote was funny!!!

lizzywednesday
06-30-2020, 04:31 PM
I thought that quote was funny!!!

I really enjoy the way he plays with all kinds of language.

PZMommy
07-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Kelly Clarkson will be zooming with the entire cast tomorrow on her talk show.

lizzywednesday
07-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Hey there fellow Faniltons!

I don't know if you've already seen these, but I thought I'd bring them to your attention:

(1) Official Playbill for the filmed show:

https://www.playbill.com/article/exclusive-flip-through-the-playbill-program-for-the-filmed-hamilton-performance

(You can export a copy to your laptop if you have trouble with the feature on the page; a link to the PDF is available in the article.)

(2) On Twitter - Historians at the Movies (#HATM) and Hamilton musical (#HamilFilm) tweet-along on 7/3 at 7pm Eastern:

https://twitter.com/HerbertHistory/status/1278514428363902976?s=20

Featured historians partaking include Joanne Freeman (Twitter: @jbf1755 ; Instagram: @joannebfreeman), who you might recognize from PBS's Hamilton's America (#HamilDoc) which aired in 2016.

WatchingThemGrow
07-03-2020, 02:16 PM
The Gilder-Lehrman Foundation collaborated on the EduHam programming ... and you can do it at home with your own kids if you want:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/programs-and-events/eduham-home

Thanks! Will probably do this!

AnnieW625
07-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Dd1 turned on Disney+ to watch it today but then saw that Disney+ had added The Mighty Ducks and is now watching that. [emoji23] She will probably still watch Hamilton later though.

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Dd1 turned on Disney+ to watch it today but then saw that Disney+ had added The Mighty Ducks and is now watching that. [emoji23] She will probably still watch Hamilton later though.

Last night when I was checking to see if it had been released yet I discovered a sorts of old movies I used to watch on the Disney channel when I was a kid. I have a bunch I want to watch!

lizzywednesday
07-03-2020, 05:57 PM
More HamilFilm-adjacent programming - check out the entry for July 3rd here at the Museum of the American Revolution's Virtual July 4th celebration:

https://www.amrevmuseum.org/events/virtual-fourth-july-celebration

They have super-awesome content, and super-cute "Flat Alex" and "Flat Eliza" paper-dolls that you can print & color at home.

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 08:26 PM
I just finished watching it. It was good, but it’s not the best broadway show I’ve seen. I think some of the “magic” of seeing a show in person gets lost in a screen version. I’d still like to see it in person if it comes back to LA (it was supposed to be here this spring).

sf333
07-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know how long it will be available for viewing?

georgiegirl
07-03-2020, 09:06 PM
I have 20 min to go. I think it’s excellent! Love being able to see everyone’s facial expressions, sweat, and spit. I was blown away by Daveed Diggs. I’ve seen it twice in person: once super close (5th row...amazing!!!) and once far away.

lizzywednesday
07-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Indefinitely? (or, at least until theatre is allowed again...)

Disney owns the rights, so they can keep it up or take it down on their own schedule.

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 09:24 PM

For quite awhile. There is no end date at this point.

sf333
07-03-2020, 09:24 PM
Indefinitely? (or, at least until theatre is allowed again...)

Disney owns the rights, so they can keep it up or take it down on their own schedule.

Great, thanks!

infocrazy
07-03-2020, 09:38 PM
I just finished watching it. It was good, but it’s not the best broadway show I’ve seen. I think some of the “magic” of seeing a show in person gets lost in a screen version. I’d still like to see it in person if it comes back to LA (it was supposed to be here this spring).

This is my thought too...I only made it about half way through... i think it's difficult when there is so much buildup...i was really expecting a lot and it was just ok for me...

jgenie
07-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Yes, definitely not the same as live. We had already memorized the music when we saw it live. All four of us were ready to get up and dance along with the stage production. We didn’t but we wanted to. The buzz of the audience and the live music add so much. I think they did a spectacular job on the movie. Great thing about the movie is you get to see the facial expressions of the actors which can be lost in the theater depending on your seats.

jgenie
07-03-2020, 09:59 PM

I don’t think they’ll be taking it down anytime soon.

Melaine
07-03-2020, 10:01 PM
We just finished. It was long! The music was obviously great and it was just astonishing to watch them singing/rapping especially a few of the songs...seemingly flawlessly. Wow. On the other hand it just didn’t enthrall me the way I thought it would. Nothing like Wicked...or honestly even Newsies, which I’ve never seen in person but love to watch on the screen. I think it just left me a little cold for whatever reason. Maybe it’s too sophisticated for me and I did get confused a few times (granted I missed 20 min when I took a phone call). I would listen to the soundtrack again though.

it did make me want to read up on some of the history of the time period.

ETA: I think the girls are were pretty much in agreement. They enjoyed the music but weren’t crazy about it. Too much hype maybe for us!

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 10:23 PM
We just finished. It was long! The music was obviously great and it was just astonishing to watch them singing/rapping especially a few of the songs...seemingly flawlessly. Wow. On the other hand it just didn’t enthrall me the way I thought it would. Nothing like Wicked...or honestly even Newsies, which I’ve never seen in person but love to watch on the screen. I think it just left me a little cold for whatever reason. Maybe it’s too sophisticated for me and I did get confused a few times (granted I missed 20 min when I took a phone call). I would listen to the soundtrack again though.

it did make me want to read up on some of the history of the time period.

ETA: I think the girls are were pretty much in agreement. They enjoyed the music but weren’t crazy about it. Too much hype maybe for us!

Wicked is still my favorite!

Melaine
07-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Wicked is still my favorite!

Yes. Forever! I guess I like my musicals to be more uplifting? Or happy? 🤣

doberbrat
07-03-2020, 10:42 PM
We watched it tonight - a friend had an outdoor viewing party. Turned out that it was them, myself, 3 10yo, 6yo, 5yo and a 3yo. We turned on the closed captions because I cant hear well enough when I watch TV and that was prob a mistake in terms of swears with the kids but it was a great show. The kids surprisingly loved it. dd2's bestie said "I loved it but there was a lot of singing" :rotflmao:

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Yes. Forever! I guess I like my musicals to be more uplifting? Or happy? ��

I think it is the singing. My favorite songs in Hamilton were the ones sung by the character of Eliza. That is just more to my musical liking. However, I give the entire Hamilton cast major props for how they managed to get all of those words and lines out like they did. That was seriously impressive! And the fact they did it live night after night speaks volumes to how talented that cast is.

Melaine
07-04-2020, 08:43 AM
I think it is the singing. My favorite songs in Hamilton were the ones sung by the character of Eliza. That is just more to my musical liking. However, I give the entire Hamilton cast major props for how they managed to get all of those words and lines out like they did. That was seriously impressive! And the fact they did it live night after night speaks volumes to how talented that cast is.

Yes, I agree. The performance was absolutely jaw-dropping, the talent amazing. Even the choreography was mostly really well done. I just would have enjoyed more traditional style songs (Eliza like you said), and I wish a little more emphasis had been put on the redemption/forgiveness concept at the end with Eliza. That could have been a major plot point which would have made the story more endearing for me, but it wasn't really highlighted IMO. Also the very last scene was weak for me and kind of an odd choice. Truly spectacular music though, undoubtedly.

sariana
07-04-2020, 02:53 PM
We watched it last night. DD was glad to get to see it, but she didn't love it. I liked it better than the first time I saw it (live), but I still don't get the hype. I still couldn't understand most of the words, although some things were more clear this time.

Oddly, DH and I agreed that Lin-Manuel Miranda was the weakest link in the cast. He seemed worn out. His pitch was off sometimes, as was his timing. The live actor we saw was much better.

Everyone else was impressive, and I agree with the comments about Eliza. Phillipa Soo was a shining light. She did some vocal work for Moana, which is loved in our house.

jennilynn
07-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Watched it last night and loved it! The kids only made it halfway through but DH and I watched it all. Putting subtitles on really helped!

Kestrel
07-04-2020, 06:39 PM
we just watched, too. I'll have to watch again with the subtitles on, that's a great idea. My problem was that it was so fast, particularly at the beginning, that the words were hard to understand.

It was way more emotional than I expected, too. The final scene was all new info for me about Eliza.

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2020, 07:29 PM
we just watched, too. I'll have to watch again with the subtitles on, that's a great idea. My problem was that it was so fast, particularly at the beginning, that the words were hard to understand.

It was way more emotional than I expected, too. The final scene was all new info for me about Eliza.

Like I think I said up thread, with musicals it is so helpful to know the soundtrack ahead of time!

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 01:21 PM

They spit the words (and, yes, those closeups should show spit flying!) at an average 144 words per minute.

As for preference, if you want to stick with LMM shows, I'll suggest you check out his breakout show, In the Heights, which uses hip-hop as well as more traditionally sung songs to tell an amazing story about community, family, and feeling at home.

The film-version (which is a movie-musical, rather than a filmed performance), starring Anthony Ramos (who you saw in the HamilFilm as Laurens/Philip) is set to release sometime next year.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 01:22 PM

It runs at 144 words per minute and is, um, non-stop 'til intermission & then curtain calls.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 01:37 PM

it did make me want to read up on some of the history of the time period...

Two good places to start are David McCullough's 1776 and the Joanne Freeman-edited The Essential Hamilton, which collects some of his writings (the archive of his papers at Columbia University really does illuminate how much he really wrote - the dude's paper budget was huuuuge!), is probably another good look at the man (and his many contradictions) himself. This interview from the National Endowment for the Humanities (https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2018/winter/conversation/the-many-alexander-hamiltons-interview-joanne-b-freeman) is also really cool; I like Professor Freeman.

I also recommend her book, Affairs of Honor, which sets the "honor culture" of dueling and maintaining one's good name into context in the Early Republic.

If you're interested, and can get a copy this week, Penguin-Random House is starting a read-along of the Ron Chernow Alexander Hamilton bio on Tuesday, 7/7; find the schedule here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/articles/hamilton-read-along. I found it easy to read and thorough ... and the endnotes sent me down a few rabbit holes while I read.

To complement that, there are a lot of biographies of the Founders, but I think I'd recommend McCullough again and go with his John Adams, plus Chernow's Washington: A Life. There's a new-ish biography of George Washington's mother, Mary Ball Washington, out now, but I don't have that info handy or I'd share.

You may get a lot more clarity out of the "HamilTome," a/k/a, Hamilton: The Revolution, which is a full-lyrics Genius annotation deep-dive, a collection of production stills, and personal stories that illuminate the relationships among the cast and the "Cabinet" - Thomas Kail (director), Andy Blankenbuehler (choreographer), Alex Lacamoire (orchestrations/conducting), and Lin himself.

PZMommy
07-05-2020, 01:39 PM
They spit the words (and, yes, those closeups should show spit flying!) at an average 144 words per minute.

As for preference, if you want to stick with LMM shows, I'll suggest you check out his breakout show, In the Heights, which uses hip-hop as well as more traditionally sung songs to tell an amazing story about community, family, and feeling at home.

The film-version (which is a movie-musical, rather than a filmed performance), starring Anthony Ramos (who you saw in the HamilFilm as Laurens/Philip) is set to release sometime next year.

I’m planning to see the movie as I love musicals! I saw the preview at a movie some time ago and made note of wanting to see it.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 01:46 PM
I’m planning to see the movie as I love musicals! I saw the preview at a movie some time ago and made note of wanting to see it.

I saw the show on Broadway with most of the original cast still performing in it and it's one of my favorites. I don't usually buy cast albums at a show, but this one was a must-have.

The film announcement, with a screenplay by playwright Quiara Alegr*a Hudes, was extremely exciting for me.

PZMommy
07-05-2020, 01:53 PM
I saw the show on Broadway with most of the original cast still performing in it and it's one of my favorites. I don't usually by cast albums at a show, but this one was a must-have.

The film announcement, with a screenplay by playwright Quiara Alegr*a Hudes, was extremely exciting for me.

I rarely get to go see the live shows. Last one I saw was Wicked and that was 11 years ago. I have a ton of cast albums for shows I will probably never get to see. I don’t know if you ever watched when Rosie O’Donnell had a talk show. She used to have casts come on and perform a number. I think I bought the CD for every show she featured. She brought Broadway theater to many people who would never have a chance to see the shows.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 02:03 PM
I rarely get to go see the live shows. Last one I saw was Wicked and that was 11 years ago. I have a ton of cast albums for shows I will probably never get to see. I don’t know if you ever watched when Rosie O’Donnell had a talk show. She used to have casts come on and perform a number. I think I bought the CD for every show she featured. She brought Broadway theater to many people who would never have a chance to see the shows.

The last show I saw was Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella with Laura Osnes (who is an amazing actor) and Santino Fontana (who won a 2019 Tony for his leading role in Tootsie) in the leading roles of Cinderella and the Prince in 2013. My BFF was able to bring her eldest and we all had a great day out in NYC.

In the interim, I lost my job, had to manage school stuff with DD, had to manage diagnostic appointments and therapies with DD, and keep getting distracted from job-hunting ... and my BFF had 2 more kids.

I would occasionally watch Rosie's talk show with my Nana and I loved her so much for her support of the Broadway community after she did her brief stints in the Grease revival in the early 90s and Seussical the Musical.

Between that and PBS, my ability to experience theatre, even if it's not live-and-in-person, was expanded exponentially.

PZMommy
07-05-2020, 04:02 PM
I’m hoping that if Hamilton does well movie wise, it would encourage more musicals to do this! There are so many streaming platforms that they could be released on.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 07:02 PM
I’m hoping that if Hamilton does well movie wise, it would encourage more musicals to do this! There are so many streaming platforms that they could be released on.

Well, actually ... (sorry, sorry, not the best phrasing) there's BroadwayHD (https://www.broadwayhd.com) ... its selection varies. It's its own subscription service, so it isn't the same as teaming up with an existing platform, but it exists.

There's also The Shows Must Go On (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag) over on YouTube, which is free but limited access to a different show every weekend.

And I forgot about Broadway OnDemand (https://get.broadwayondemand.com/?) - that's probably the kind of thing that most people could fit into their lives.

PZMommy
07-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Well, actually ... (sorry, sorry, not the best phrasing) there's BroadwayHD (https://www.broadwayhd.com) ... its selection varies. It's its own subscription service, so it isn't the same as teaming up with an existing platform, but it exists.

There's also The Shows Must Go On (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag) over on YouTube, which is free but limited access to a different show every weekend.

I’ve watched The Show Must Go on videos. I’ll look into the other site.

lizzywednesday
07-05-2020, 07:17 PM
I’ve watched The Show Must Go on videos. I’ll look into the other site.

BroadwayHD is a subscription, but Broadway OnDemand may be a better option because it's more like PayPerView than a whole 'nother service. At least BroadwayHD has a free trial!

StantonHyde
07-05-2020, 08:23 PM
I agree that the ending was weak. The Mighty Girl website had some info on books about Eliza Hamilton. I didn't know how amazing she was. I know there are some books on the "founding Mothers". Those women did so much to run their husband's businesses/farms and raise families while the men were so absent. Fortunately, DD knew all the songs. It was amazing. To think that Miranda wrote all of that history and made it rhyme!!! I do think he was the weaker link--that cast was amazing!! The man who played Lafayette and Jefferson was great. Eliza's older sister was super. And I really like the George Washington actor. I think it is interesting to note that the fighting the war is really exciting while the governing and life after--not so much. Interesting to see the differences between the south and the north even at the beginning. The choreography was a lot--but it's a musical, it's supposed to be. Just the whole idea of bending all the characters while staying true to the history and rhyming it all. It is just so amazing. And no dialogue. wowza. (I thought King George was pretty funny)

I did like seeing the up close views of the actors which I wouldn't have seen on stage. Musicals aren't my favorite. I liked Sweeny Todd way more than Newsies. I found Dear Evan Hansen to be truly amazing. I don't like saccharine. I don't like too depressing. I like something in the middle. And I looooooove history. So Hamilton was awesome for me.

StantonHyde
07-05-2020, 08:35 PM

meh, the f word was more of a "fuhhhhhh" without any ending. For littles, it could go right over their heads. But for someone that little, I don't know that they want to sit through 3 hours of it. It really is more for tweens and up. But I bet younger kids might like the sound track.

A friend of mine sings with the Opera Chorus in Salt Lake. Her kids were in a summer opera (Pirates of Penzance??) where there was the word "dammy". Her kids had bit parts and they would listen to the sound track. They agreed they could only sing dammy in the car :-) Her daughter was in the Grapes of Wrath with them. She was small enough for the men to lift over their shoulders and she passed a baby doll over her head--it looked like a river current carrying the baby along. She kept asking, "mommy, can we do the dead baby scene again?'. show biz kids!

One of they guys I work with talks about how his mom sat him and his brothers down when they were going to school for first grade and would ask them all the swear words they knew. The would turn red faced and confess and then she would say how about these words--and she would belt them out. She let them know they were just words. Words she didn't want to hear in her home but they didn't have power. And that talk took the power away from those words. I believe all of her kids went on missions. She raised strong children. She sounds like an awesome lady!

lizzywednesday
07-06-2020, 01:47 PM
I agree that the ending was weak. The Mighty Girl website had some info on books about Eliza Hamilton. I didn't know how amazing she was. I know there are some books on the "founding Mothers". Those women did so much to run their husband's businesses/farms and raise families while the men were so absent.

You may also enjoy the resources at the Eliza Project, which hooked the actors up with the (still in existence!) orphanage she founded: https://www.graham-windham.org/the-eliza-project/

... I do think he was the weaker link--that cast was amazing!! The man who played Lafayette and Jefferson was great. Eliza's older sister was super. And I really like the George Washington actor. I think it is interesting to note that the fighting the war is really exciting while the governing and life after--not so much.

Lin, while a brilliant composer-lyricist, leaves a lot to be desired as a singer. He can rap like nobody's business, though. (Search his 2009 Tony Award acceptance speech, which he freestyled.)

The actors' names you're looking for are Daveed Diggs and Christopher Jackson. I was lucky enough to see Chris Jackson as Benny in In the Heights on Broadway in 2009-ish; he's an experience.

Daveed Diggs has a recurring role on blackish on NBC and a leading role in Snowpiercer on TNT. He's also a rapper.

Chris Jackson was in the CBS series, Bull, among other TV work. You can catch him in a few episodes of the revived The Electric Company TV show. He's also the singing voice for Moana's dad, Chief Tui, in Moana.

Both men are part of the improv/comedy rap group Freestyle Love Supreme, founded by Lin, and the subject of a delayed-release Hulu documentary (I think it's due out tomorrow (7/7/2020)?)

Interesting to see the differences between the south and the north even at the beginning.

If you're inspired at all to do more reading, you'll find that support for independency and revolution was pretty low among the general population and varied a great deal from state-to-state. Some areas, like NYC, remained occupied by the British for the duration of the war - we still have remnants of those days today! Early in the War, the Continentals built forts on the Palisades and what's present-day way uptown Manhattan, named them "Fort Lee" (after our buddy, Charles Lee) and "Fort Washington," to defend the Hudson River from the seaborne attack of the British.

Fort Washington fell during Gen Washington's retreat from Manhattan, was captured by the British, and renamed "Fort Tryon" ... a name it still bears today. (It's where The Met Cloisters museum is located. Lin walks his dog, Tobillo, in the park there from time to time.)

But, yes, even in 1776 you can see the differences of support for the resolutions and the war itself among all the delegates ... and that's not even half the story!

I believe I've already recommended McCullough's 1776 in this thread as a good overview; there are more books on the subject, but I'm still jotting them down!

...It is just so amazing. And no dialogue. wowza.

They experimented with dialogue scenes in early workshops & found it interrupted the "flow" of the story too much.

(I thought King George was pretty funny)

That would be comic genius Jonathan Groff, who also appears in Netflix's Mindhunter and did a stint as Seymour in the recently-revived Off-Broadway production of Little Shop of Horrors. You can get the cast recording anywhere you buy music; look for the "2019" cast.

I did like seeing the up close views of the actors which I wouldn't have seen on stage. Musicals aren't my favorite. I liked Sweeny Todd way more than Newsies. I found Dear Evan Hansen to be truly amazing. I don't like saccharine. I don't like too depressing. I like something in the middle. And I looooooove history. So Hamilton was awesome for me.

You may also like Come from Away, Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (a/k/a "Great Comet"), Hadestown, and Anastasia. (PS - Sweeney Todd is my favorite musical of all time. I first saw the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn filmed tour production on PBS when I was ... 6 or so? ... and it's been a constant for me. It's got everything - comedy! vengeance! mistaken identity! murders! romance! cannibalism! - and I love it.)

westwoodmom04
07-06-2020, 01:56 PM
You may also enjoy the resources at the Eliza Project, which hooked the actors up with the (still in existence!) orphanage she founded: https://www.graham-windham.org/the-eliza-project/

Lin, while a brilliant composer-lyricist, leaves a lot to be desired as a singer. He can rap like nobody's business, though. (Search his 2009 Tony Award acceptance speech, which he freestyled.)

The actors' names you're looking for are Daveed Diggs and Christopher Jackson. I was lucky enough to see Chris Jackson as Benny in In the Heights on Broadway in 2009-ish; he's an experience.

Daveed Diggs has a recurring role on blackish on NBC and a leading role in Snowpiercer on TNT. He's also a rapper.

Chris Jackson was in the CBS series, Bull, among other TV work. You can catch him in a few episodes of the revived The Electric Company TV show. He's also the singing voice for Moana's dad, Chief Tui, in Moana.

Both men are part of the improv/comedy rap group Freestyle Love Supreme, founded by Lin, and the subject of a delayed-release Hulu documentary (I think it's due out tomorrow (7/7/2020)?)

If you're inspired at all to do more reading, you'll find that support for independency and revolution was pretty low among the general population and varied a great deal from state-to-state. Some areas, like NYC, remained occupied by the British for the duration of the war - we still have remnants of those days today! Early in the War, the Continentals built forts on the Palisades and what's present-day way uptown Manhattan, named them "Fort Lee" (after our buddy, Charles Lee) and "Fort Washington," to defend the Hudson River from the seaborne attack of the British.

Fort Washington fell during Gen Washington's retreat from Manhattan, was captured by the British, and renamed "Fort Tryon" ... a name it still bears today. (It's where The Met Cloisters museum is located. Lin walks his dog, Tobillo, in the park there from time to time.)

But, yes, even in 1776 you can see the differences of support for the resolutions and the war itself among all the delegates ... and that's not even half the story!

I believe I've already recommended McCullough's 1776 in this thread as a good overview; there are more books on the subject, but I'm still jotting them down!

They experimented with dialogue scenes in early workshops & found it interrupted the "flow" of the story too much.

That would be comic genius Jonathan Groff, who also appears in Netflix's Mindhunter and did a stint as Seymour in the recently-revived Off-Broadway production of Little Shop of Horrors. You can get the cast recording anywhere you buy music; look for the "2019" cast.

You may also like Come from Away, Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (a/k/a "Great Comet"), Hadestown, and Anastasia. (PS - Sweeney Todd is my favorite musical of all time. I first saw the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn filmed tour production on PBS when I was ... 6 or so? ... and it's been a constant for me. It's got everything - comedy! vengeance! mistaken identity! murders! romance! cannibalism! - and I love it.)

Jonathan Goff also on a season of Glee as Rachel’s love interest. I think they were both on Spring Awakening together.

Tenasparkl
07-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Jonathan Goff also on a season of Glee as Rachel’s love interest. I think they were both on Spring Awakening together.

And he's Kristoff in Frozen!

lizzywednesday
07-06-2020, 02:37 PM
... I think they were both on Spring Awakening together.

Yes, Jonathan Groff & Lea Michele were both in the original cast of the 2006 Tony-winning Broadway production of Spring Awakening; she played Wendla while he was Melchior.

I didn't watch Glee; I tried watching the first season on streaming and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not.

lizzywednesday
07-06-2020, 02:38 PM

He is indeed; his "ode to the power ballad" in Frozen 2 (a/k/a "Lost in the Woods") is probably my favorite song in either film.

Melaine
07-06-2020, 02:53 PM

whaaaaatttty? My mind is blown

ang79
07-06-2020, 04:22 PM
So we bit the bullet and purchased Disney + last night. The girls have been wanting to watch old Disney movies and they said they are kinda interested in Hamilton (I think because they have friends that know the music and are excited about it). For anyone still looking to purchase a subscription, I was able to get $15 cash back on the yearly subscription through ebates, so now I'm not sorry about missing out on the $10 off Black Friday special they did last year.

bisous
07-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Just popped this thread up to say I watched this with my sister and DH. We loved it. I mean, I REALLY loved it. I still struggle with the language. I understand why the artist chose to use language that way and fundamentally I think the way that the affair was portrayed was actually very important and realistic. I want my kids to see that people are fallible and also that there are consequences and also that there can be redemption. I am totally ok with my two oldest seeing it. I want to play the soundtrack in my house and spotify has filtered some of the tracts already for some words. The very beginning of the play would not be something that I want my kids to sing aloud. Yet as I said before I understand this choice. What a way to announce to the world that this isn't your average "Founding Father" play.

Also, some didn't like the Eliza storyline but I LOVED it. It made the play for me.

Also, Jefferson/LaFayette is my new crush. So impressed with the cast! (My faves were Angelica, Jefferson, and of course King George!)

jgenie
07-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Just popped this thread up to say I watched this with my sister and DH. We loved it. I mean, I REALLY loved it. I still struggle with the language. I understand why the artist chose to use language that way and fundamentally I think the way that the affair was portrayed was actually very important and realistic. I want my kids to see that people are fallible and also that there are consequences and also that there can be redemption. I am totally ok with my two oldest seeing it. I want to play the soundtrack in my house and spotify has filtered some of the tracts already for some words. The very beginning of the play would not be something that I want my kids to sing aloud. Yet as I said before I understand this choice. What a way to announce to the world that this isn't your average "Founding Father" play.

Also, some didn't like the Eliza storyline but I LOVED it. It made the play for me.

Also, Jefferson/LaFayette is my new crush. So impressed with the cast! (My faves were Angelica, Jefferson, and of course King George!)

Yeah!! So glad you enjoyed it!! I too am bothered by the language. It’s not the right choice for everyone but I’ve let my kids listen to the soundtrack as it is. They love it and it has served to get them interested in history. (Says the mom who changed stupid to silly in read alouds until my kids could read and correct me.) ;)

Melaine
07-14-2020, 04:25 PM
So I don't know if any music has stuck in my head quite this badly. It's driving me crazy. I'm not joking, it's for real OCD at this point.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2020, 04:31 PM
So I don't know if any music has stuck in my head quite this badly. It's driving me crazy. I'm not joking, it's for real OCD at this point.

Honestly, that;s why I haven't watched it yet!! I swear it was in my head for like a year. The songs are always right there in the background of my brain (especially the first song and one other that I won't name for fear of sticking it in someone else's head!!!).

Melaine
07-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Honestly, that;s why I haven't watched it yet!! I swear it was in my head for like a year. The songs are always right there in the background of my brain (especially the first song and one other that I won't name for fear of sticking it in someone else's head!!!).

I have quit watching shows that I really enjoy because of this issue! I'm waking up with songs already playing in my head. (I mean, I do have mild OCD but I have to blame the songs also)

lizzywednesday
07-14-2020, 07:30 PM

That'd be Tony-award winners Daveed Diggs (Lafayette/Jefferson) and Renee-Elise Goldsberry (Angelica) ... and Tony-nominee Jonathan Groff, whose swagger for his 10 minutes of stage-time is probably THE reason for his Tony nomination.

bisous
07-14-2020, 07:36 PM
That'd be Tony-award winners Daveed Diggs (Lafayette/Jefferson) and Renee-Elise Goldsberry (Angelica) ... and Tony-nominee Jonathan Groff, whose swagger for his 10 minutes of stage-time is probably THE reason for his Tony nomination.

Oh I must have phenomenal discernment, hahaha! :) But really they were show stoppers!

StantonHyde
07-14-2020, 10:06 PM
They were my favs too!!! I really enjoyed 2 you tube videos: one where the cast answers questions (not sure what to search for) but it was fun to listen to these folks josh around and be serious etc. The other is part of the John Krasinsky (sp??) Some Good News. On episode #2 I believe, you HAVE to watch how he surprises a young Hamilton fan. I think if you search Some Good News Hamilton or something like that you will find it. Also--there is a sound track of The Muppets singing the music. I love the Muppets but found it hard to listen. Others ADORED it.

lizzywednesday
07-15-2020, 09:54 AM
They were my favs too!!! I really enjoyed 2 you tube videos: one where the cast answers questions (not sure what to search for) but it was fun to listen to these folks josh around and be serious etc. ...

There's a OG cast panel from BroadwayCon in 2016 here that's pretty good:

https://youtu.be/3czkEFa0XBo

And there's a SiriusXM "Town Hall" discussion, hosted by Seth Rudetsky, here:

https://youtu.be/9NC8Xy4ApcA

And this is the "Some Good News with John Krasinsky" episode you mentioned:

https://youtu.be/oilZ1hNZPRM

And there's some great "Ham4Ham" content both at the official Hamilton Musical YouTube account and on Howard Sherman's YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4RBWiIqtyngBH3h80Z6OpA). (Howard became the quasi-official videographer for a bunch of #Ham4Ham performances before they had to stop.)

carolinamama
07-15-2020, 11:34 AM
I finally watched Hamilton last night. WOW!! It was so good! The music, the dancing, the acting. I'm so sad I didn't have the chance to see it on stage and won't likely for a long time.

Kestrel
07-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Walking through the grocery store today - singing under my breath.... la-da-da-DA-da..... And the two teens with their mom behind me start singing along.... :)

jgenie
07-21-2020, 05:13 PM
Walking through the grocery store today - singing under my breath.... la-da-da-DA-da..... And the two teens with their mom behind me start singing along.... :)

:rotflmao:

bisous
07-21-2020, 05:25 PM

This is a happy COVID19 stranger interaction! I have missed friendliness when I'm out and about. I've been nervous and afraid when I go to the grocery store and would have welcomed the warmth and humanity of such an exchange. :)