PDA

View Full Version : Split Unit AC anyone?

mommy111
06-27-2020, 09:06 PM
We’re thinking of getting one installed in our rental home. Tips, tricks? What should we look for in a contractor?

hellokitty
06-28-2020, 09:40 PM
We had these installed last summer. One is a flat style, installed into the attic (and shoots from the ceiling, it is flush to the ceiling), the other is in our sunroom. We went with the most experienced contractors (per our contractor's advice). They made it look nice and flush, installed things behind the wall so it didn't look too out of place for the wall mount version and yes, we really like it. We were flat out told that the most reliable brand is Mitsibushi (sp). We were going to get a different brand bc bil worked there and probably could have gotten a better price, but I guess that there is no comparison. We like ours, the family room that got the ceiling flush mount was a garage that was converted to a family room, so there has never been forced air into that room and it was freezing in the winter and hot in the summer, since the only air it was getting was whatever would wander from our kitchen over into the living room, which wasn't much (kitchen vent is the farthest it could be from the family room. The one we put into our sunroom, which must have been an outdoor porch that they converted into a sunroom also had zero heat or ac. They were able to branch the two together for the outdoor unit that is wall mounted off the side of our house under a laundry room window. This is IMO not a DIY project, it cost us a LOT of money, but I am glad that professionals did it, my husband is handy, but this was like next-level kind of stuff and having to crawl up in our crawl spaces up in attic/roof spaces was no fun, especially since they installed it the week of July 4th last year which was crazy hot. Good luck!