PDA

View Full Version : S/O UK Plans On Cohort/Bubble Approach for 5 Day IP School in Fall

westwoodmom04
06-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Mentioned this in other thread but worthy of more discussion, the UK just decided all kids going back full time next year -- they are using a cohort system (same kids stay together all day) and bagging social distancing within a cohort -- still plan on increased sanitation measures, and contact tracing. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/class-bubbles-and-staggered-drop-offs-what-school-may-look-like-in-september-1.4277682 Apparently, this system has been used already in NZ and Belguim.

Interestingly, the AAP said something quite similar -- physical attendance should take priority over social distancing especially student to student (teacher should still be 6 feet away from students), and a cohort system should be used, 3 to 6 feet between desks "if feasibe" and doesn't reduce time students can attend school. https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

This is the model I see most schools using to go back full time in the fall (subject to local covid levels).

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 12:22 PM
I’m cool with cohorts. Ds1 formed one (we’ve been calling it a “pod”) in mid May. But, the space logistics and transportation issues for schools here is still problematic.
ETA- from that top article linked “Overall, it says it is “not feasible, from a cost, sustainability or delivery perspective” to create additional classroom capacity (through pre-fabricated units, construction work) across each school.

While some schools could be in a position to repurpose PE halls to make some additional capacity or access local and community resources, this will “not be a panacea for the physical distancing constraints” and will at best make some “marginal improvements”.

“It is also not feasible to consider the wholesale splitting of classes and recruiting extra teachers – given that there are significant teacher supply issues currently,” it adds.

Sounds like there is still plenty to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

nfceagles
06-28-2020, 12:30 PM
Interesting, but I wouldn’t use the UK as an example for anything COVID related. Their response only looks borderline acceptable because the US looks so much worse.

That said, cohorts seem like a strategy worth considering. CT’s early guidance encourages cohorts. I’m a little worried what impact that will have on my high schooler. Will the students be forced to take all the same classes and regress to something closer to an elementary school model??? Still better then nothing though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petesgirl
06-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Not directly related to this model, but how are teachers supposed to maintain 6 ft from a student and still help them with their work? If a student has a question on a worksheet the teacher wouldn't even be able to get close enough to help.

westwoodmom04
06-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Not directly related to this model, but how are teachers supposed to maintain 6 ft from a student and still help them with their work? If a student has a question on a worksheet the teacher wouldn't even be able to get close enough to help.

Masks or face shields for closer contact.

westwoodmom04
06-28-2020, 12:49 PM
I’m cool with cohorts. Ds1 formed one (we’ve been calling it a “pod”) in mid May. But, the space logistics and transportation issues for schools here is still problematic.
ETA- from that top article linked “Overall, it says it is “not feasible, from a cost, sustainability or delivery perspective” to create additional classroom capacity (through pre-fabricated units, construction work) across each school.

While some schools could be in a position to repurpose PE halls to make some additional capacity or access local and community resources, this will “not be a panacea for the physical distancing constraints” and will at best make some “marginal improvements”.

“It is also not feasible to consider the wholesale splitting of classes and recruiting extra teachers – given that there are significant teacher supply issues currently,” it adds.

Sounds like there is still plenty to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

The top article is a bit confusing as the second half of it is going through why social distancing at either 3 or 6 feet is not viable.

ang79
06-28-2020, 12:50 PM

I had that same thought, especially in the younger grades. I'm wondering if schools may try to do more work on computers. Our schools use Google Classroom and teachers use Go Guardian to check in on students and see what they are doing. Not sure if they can see the actual work space before a student submits something though. I'm just thinking of all the times I walk around a classroom checking on students while they work and kneel down next to them to walk them through a math problem or underline something they missed on their papers. Students are going to miss out on that one-to-one interaction from teachers with the social distancing guidelines.

jenmcadams
06-28-2020, 12:53 PM
I really wonder how cohorts will work in middle and high school with kids taking such different classes. My DS will be a sophomore and is taking some classes with other 10th graders (APUSH, Honors Eng 10), but other classes with older kids (AP Calc BC, AP Chem, French IV). It's already a major challenge every year to get his schedule to work given he's kind of out of sync with his classmates, but cohorts would make it even more difficult. He is not one of those kids who thrived with online learning. He really struggled and I worry about some of his upper level classes and how he'll manage if he has to do them more as independent study.

Ou school district has released a plan for elementary (either 100% in person with some social distancing or you can do a virtual option), but they haven't released a plan for middle and high school yet.

bisous
06-28-2020, 01:05 PM
Interesting, but I wouldn’t use the UK as an example for anything COVID related. Their response only looks borderline acceptable because the US looks so much worse.

That said, cohorts seem like a strategy worth considering. CT’s early guidance encourages cohorts. I’m a little worried what impact that will have on my high schooler. Will the students be forced to take all the same classes and regress to something closer to an elementary school model??? Still better then nothing though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your first point is exactly what I was thinking. I think the UK is kind of an example of another country somewhat bungling the COVID response.

gymnbomb
06-28-2020, 01:24 PM
While we don't have any specifics, the preliminary state guidance suggests we will be doing consistent groups of 30 or fewer for elementary and middle schools, and something else with more attempts at distancing and masks for high schools.