PDA

View Full Version : Anyone develop a fish/shellfish allergy later in life?

AnnieW625
06-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Dh and I ate sushi rolls for lunch today (tuna, crab, and shrimp) and now 5 hours later I have hives all over my back and hips. I have been eating fish my entire life and never had a reaction like this. I ate cooked salmon last week. This is soo puzzling. No other symptoms other than the hives.

I took a Benedryl and put hydrocortisone cream on them and the swelling has gone down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom
06-28-2020, 09:13 PM
My dad developed a fish and seafood allergy at 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
06-28-2020, 09:26 PM
DS's allergist told us that shellfish allergies are the most common allergies to be diagnosed later in life. You can develop an allergy later in life to anything! I developed a beef allergy in my 20's.

Kestrel
06-28-2020, 09:32 PM
I was diagnosed with shellfish allergy at 20, and later with a penicillin allergy at 45. It happens. Plus, be aware that some fish sauce also has shellfish in it, so many types of Asian food are a concern.

essnce629
06-29-2020, 02:31 AM
Yes, my mom nearly died of an anaphylactic reaction to shrimp and kiwi when I was 8 and we lived in Germany. She would have been 33 years old at the time and never had a problem previously. She carries an epipen now.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

fauve01
06-29-2020, 02:47 AM
My dad developed an allergy to shrimp and shellfish after age 70! he had never had a problem eating either one so it didn't occur to him that the itching/hives were from the bite of my mom's scampi!

doberbrat
06-29-2020, 03:01 AM
My aunt developed all kinds of crazy allergies in her 50s - shrimp, greenbeans, iceburg lettuce, almonds...

ezcc
06-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Yup, my this happened to my brother in his 30s- he can't eat any shellfish now.

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2020, 10:17 AM
I have a mystery food that I react to. I have never been able to figure it out and it doesn't happen often. It could have been the fish...or the oil...or any number of ingredients. You'll either need to get tested or experiment (since your reaction wasn't life threatening).

Kindra178
06-29-2020, 10:29 AM
You can develop an allergy (or allergies) at any point in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lizzywednesday
06-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Yes, my brother Ger was diagnosed with one in his late 20s. (Of course, he's had allergies of some sort or other his entire life so this shouldn't have come as a shock, but finally getting a full panel was a Big Deal for him.)

DualvansMommy
06-29-2020, 10:25 PM
Allergies can develop any point in your life. For me it was coconut 4 years ago. DH is grapefruit. Dh best friend developed a sudden allergy to shellfish and raw fish. So he doesn’t eat those much to his dismay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnnieW625
06-30-2020, 07:25 AM
I ate a tuna sandwich yesterday and I had no additional hives so I know it wasn’t the spicy tuna rolls we ate so it has to be something we ate with shrimp. So bummed as I love shrimp; maybe it is just the raw shrimp they use in sushi?!

MSWR0319
06-30-2020, 09:06 AM
I ate a tuna sandwich yesterday and I had no additional hives so I know it wasn’t the spicy tuna rolls we ate so it has to be something we ate with shrimp. So bummed as I love shrimp; maybe it is just the raw shrimp they use in sushi?!

Shrimp is definitely the more likely culprit than tuna. You may want to check with your doctor to see what they say or to get tested before eating it again. It could be a worse reaction next time. Many times you'll have to avoid shared friers as well at restaurants, since they would potentially contain shrimp proteins as well.

Aishe
06-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Any chance it's stress related? I literally have gotten hives every time we've moved. Just something to think about.