PDA

View Full Version : How are you spending Fourth of July weekend?

ourbabygirl
06-28-2020, 10:47 PM
No parades, no fireworks. We're going up to my parents' cabin one of the weekend afternoons. I considered taking the kids to a waterpark one of the days, but I'm worried it'll be crazy busy with the holiday, and will be hard to socially distance. I'm sure we'll do a movie night at least one night (maybe watch "Hamilton"). :)

What do your weekend plans include?

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 10:59 PM
Same as Memorial Day- nothing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
06-28-2020, 11:11 PM
We’re watching Hamilton on Friday. Most likely watching it again on Saturday and Sunday. We don’t have any other plans. I would love to get some yard work and house cleaning done so hopefully that will happen.

KpbS
06-28-2020, 11:14 PM
We will grill out and enjoy the outside as long as the weather permits. Wish there was fireworks. There has been a little talk of them in our neighborhood, but don’t know if anything will materialize.

carolinacool
06-28-2020, 11:18 PM
We might go to our pool. So far, we haven’t had a need for a reservation system but there might be sign-ups for July 4. If that’s the case, we will do it because we know the numbers will be limited. I imagine we will also grill out and light some sparklers.

I’m bummed there are no fireworks anywhere.

ang79
06-28-2020, 11:25 PM
We always get together with good friends on the 4th (they live about 1.5 hrs. away). We are considering meeting at one of our houses to socially distant picnic outside, but its supposed to be really hot and also possible storms, so not sure if that will work out. Fireworks around here are all canceled as well.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Are people in your areas not shooting off fireworks all the time? Every night there are super loud, annoying fireworks in my city. Saw a CNN article that made it sound like a nationwide problem.

smilequeen
06-29-2020, 12:32 AM
We have a pool. We are having a small outdoor family barbecue/swim. Nothing like normal but quiet as I like it.

NCGrandma
06-29-2020, 01:11 AM
Are people in your areas not shooting off fireworks all the time? Every night there are super loud, annoying fireworks in my city. Saw a CNN article that made it sound like a nationwide problem.

Mercifully not around here but a family member in Ohio just posted on FB that this has been going on in their neighborhood for the past couple of weeks. They have a 3 y.o. and a newborn, so all those fireworks have definitely lost their appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ett
06-29-2020, 01:28 AM

LOL! Same here. It'll just be like any other weekend!

California
We've had random fireworks going off here too. Fireworks displays are mostly canceled.

We will be celebrating with the same family that we've celebrated birthdays and Memorial Day with during the shut down- the family who's toddler we watch. Backyard BBQ, toddler pool, water games, dessert baking, and stomp rockets. We all agree that while we love each other very much, we look forward to the day when we can celebrate holidays and birthdays with more people!! My kids make our family's traditional apple pie every 4th and I'm looking forward to that.

ett

It's a bit better now but earlier in the month, we could hear fireworks every night!

bisous
06-29-2020, 01:33 AM
No way to the fireworks! They’re illegal here and the last thing we need are brush fires.

We kept our reservations for a cabin about 5 hours away so that’s our plan. I’m starting to feel really bad about going becayse cases are skyrocketing in my area. The current plan is to buy and bring up all our food for the week and we won’t spent a minute indoors. We’ll be outside and on trails, seeking space and solitude. I felt ok with this earlier this month and now I’m not sure?

I’m less worried about catching COVID19 and more about modeling responsible behavior during a pandemic.

essnce629
06-29-2020, 02:23 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)Yes! EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. FOR. WEEKS! It's basically all anyone talks about on Nextdoor! I've never seen them, but I hear them constantly.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Jeanne
06-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Yes. It's been going on for months and not the bright showy fun kind either. It's multiple M80's every night from a few different directions over the course of a few hours.

Liziz
06-29-2020, 07:27 AM
No way to the fireworks! They’re illegal here and the last thing we need are brush fires.

We kept our reservations for a cabin about 5 hours away so that’s our plan. I’m starting to feel really bad about going becayse cases are skyrocketing in my area. The current plan is to buy and bring up all our food for the week and we won’t spent a minute indoors. We’ll be outside and on trails, seeking space and solitude. I felt ok with this earlier this month and now I’m not sure?

I’m less worried about catching COVID19 and more about modeling responsible behavior during a pandemic.

I think an isolated cabin should be fine! As long as you're not violating stay at home orders to go, and don't do a bunch of socializing or crowded activities while you're there (hanging out on a crowded beach, etc.) it seems totally responsible.

Our 4th of July plans are pretty limited. We'll grill out at home. I'd love to do the pool but I think it will be too crowded for comfort. We'll probably go kayaking. There are still fireworks here, but they're "tailgate style", meaning everyone is supposed to stay at their cars and just watch from their tailgate. Being stuck in a crowded parking lot (where likely lots of people keep their cars running the whole time b/c it's the South and it's crazy hot) when the majority of people in my area gave up social distancing and masks a month ago is a no go for us, so while I'm sad to miss out on fireworks, it's a definite no go!

JBaxter
06-29-2020, 07:57 AM
If our idiot neighbors shoots fireworks across my lanai screen one more time it’s going to get ugly I warned him last weekend As for activity. Not much maybe paddle boarding or kayaking

georgiegirl
06-29-2020, 08:35 AM

I think that’s perfectly fine. You are distancing, but in a different location. And you are also stimulating the economy by renting a cabin. DD is going to a lake house with her BFF (the one friend I’ve let her come into close contact with this last month), and their family plans on cooking all meals at the lake house and not going into public at all (just water sports that don’t involve anyone else.)

Not sure what we will do for the 4th. Just hang out at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2020, 08:37 AM

You aren’t cramming into bats or planning to act irresponsibly. Go. If you’d feel better, get tested before you go so you know you aren’t a risk tonlocals.

ezcc
06-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Ugh, the fireworks here have been nonstop too. My dog will barely leave the house even in the day time. We are going to a friend's for a cookout, and may see my brother and his family at some point over the weekend. I am nervous about too much socializing, but right now cases are going down in our area- I sort of want to see people (carefully) now in case it gets bad again.

AnnieW625
06-29-2020, 11:05 AM
We have legal fireworks in our current city (one of the few to still have them in our area) so we will set off fireworks in the street in front of our house.

We may have to go look at houses on Sunday if the offer (we made on Friday) on a house hasn’t been accepted.

Illegal fireworks are big here. They have been randomly going off since May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
06-29-2020, 11:13 AM
We have no plans. I guess we will try to think of something to do with the kids. Possibly we could drive to my parent's house an hour away and swim in their pool. We bought snap n pops and I might get sparklers (couldn't find them yesterday at walmart) but that's the level of fireworks I'm comfortable.

lizzywednesday
06-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Our town is running a house-decorating contest, but neither DH nor I feel particularly motivated.

I want to be nowhere near amusement parks, which are set to open on Thursday with a reservation system to preserve capacity caps, enhanced cleaning procedures, and promises of social distancing in lines, despite having season passes for the one nearby. Depending on how it works this week and next, I'll consider going sometime in August.

carolinamama
06-29-2020, 11:38 AM
We don't have any big plans. Probably go out on the boat a time or two for tubing and wakeboarding. DD's birthday is Sunday so we will celebrate that at home. She has requested a scavenger hunt to find her gifts and if the weather is nice, her best friend will come over for an outdoor playdate.

Someone in our neighborhood always seems to procure some bigger than legal here fireworks from our southern neighbor state so we may get to see a few, much to my dogs' chagrin.

wendibird22
06-29-2020, 12:03 PM
On the 3rd, watching Hamilton and then heading to an area drive in for a live band that they project on the movie screen and then after the concert, show a related movie...so 70s cover band followed by Stayin Alive, for example.

4th...hang out at home and swim

DualvansMommy
06-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Our pool is open now, so may go on Friday, Saturday or Sunday pre the 4th. Normally the pool is open on 4th till 3pm then close to accommodate the big annual 4th bash.

It’s being scaled down this year to just picnic style without fireworks. So that’s what we will do on the 4th. Low key weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doberbrat
06-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Sadly, us too. :(

melrose7
06-29-2020, 04:09 PM
DD1 has a birthday on the 3rd and DD2 is on the 5th so it’s always a pretty busy 4th holiday. On the 3rd we are celebrating DD1 bday by going to our neighborhood pool, my parents, my in laws, and my brother and his family with come over for dinner and then going to our towns fireworks.
Then probably back to the pool on the 4th and the 5th for DD2 bday plus our own fireworks on the 5th for DDs birthday.

KrisM
06-29-2020, 11:01 PM
Just a regular weekend here. Nothing special.

PZMommy
06-29-2020, 11:14 PM
Just a regular weekend here. Nothing special.

Same with us. Pretty much everything is canceled anyways.

gatorsmom
06-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Dh buys some fireworks for a 10-15 minutes display everywhere year so we will let those off in our yard. They’d should be big showy ones so the neighbors will enjoy that (our yard is 21 acres surrounded by trees). We haven’t had any going off near us although we heard a ton going off at 11pm north of us camping this past weekend.

My ILs moved into their summer home near us this weekend and once their 7-quarantine is done (not long enough, imho), they will probably come to our house. I think that will be Saturday. Ds1’s birthday is this weekend as well as a good friend’s outdoor graduation party so we will keep busy; no doubt.

PunkyBoo
06-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Not much. I have 2 days off work so a 4 day weekend. There is an annual large fireworks show not far from us, so we'll probably walk or bike over to a neighboring tract and watch from the street. A few house projects, maybe a bike ride. DH is still awaiting his covid test results :rolleyes: so we'll still be avoiding other people. Pretty much same as every weekend these days...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jenmcadams
06-30-2020, 02:01 PM
We did a big day of yard work last weekend and ended up deciding to tackle a ton of house projects and I have a 30 yd dumpster being delivered today, so on Friday we'll be taking down trees and cut shrubs and loading this dumpster and then we are going to do a small family BBQ on the actual 4th. We're definitely joining the crowd and doing house projects in lieu of vacation this year :)

klwa
07-01-2020, 06:25 AM
I'm taking part of tomorrow off of work and DS and I are going to pack bags of gleaned crops for distribution. Beyond that, our Fourth weekend is looking pretty bland. A neighboring town is putting their fireworks show on Facebook, so we may watch that....

dogmom
07-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Probably going to a BLM March since all my other family members want to go. Mostly I want to stay home out of selfish laziness.

hellokitty
07-01-2020, 08:54 PM
My youngest has a baseball tournament all weekend, so that's basically what we're doing. People have been shooting off fireworks for over a week, I hate it.